Hello,

I am not really into Doctor Who. I saw one or two episodes (an very old and a new one) and thought ... its not that good.

So maybe the fans could name their best episodes and what they love about the series.

Would be nice for me to have something to watch during horrible TBBT break.

By the way: There is a new Green Lantern animated cartoon on DVD! Green Lantern: Emerald Knights

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The DOCTOR is in starting in Sept.

Hello, I am not really into Doctor Who. I saw one or two episodes (an very old and a new one) and thought ... its not that good. So maybe the fans could name their best episodes and what they love

My theory is that some people were born with their head up their ass, and never bothered to remove it.

The original Dr Who series was done on a shoestring budget. If you watch some of the early 70s/80s episodes you can see the cardboard sets wobble and move.

The sfx were ahead of their time and the theme music (original not the rehash) won numerous awards.

The best series IMO is when Tom Baker was the Doctor. Particular episodes of note are the ones featuring ROBOT and Davros & The Daleks. Tom Baker's time was when the Cybermen and Daleks featured a lot in the series. Also Miss Sarah Jane Smith was a bit of a hottie.

Yes, Elisabeth Sladen died just a month or two ago of cancer. Real shame, Sarah-Jane Smith was a great character. :(

I liked Tom Baker as the Doctor, but I'm not really a fan of Classic Who per se. It's ok, but I really love the new Who, since they brought it back in 2005. My favourite is also David Tennant (such a hottie too!!!) but I'm enjoying Matt Smith in the role now. He's brought a new eccentricity to the role, a bit reminiscent of Tom Baker's Doctor.

I'm drawing a blank here, so I'll let you guys answer this for me. Who was the Doctor that had the actor from All Creatures Great And Small in it? The guy who played Tristram ? I liked the series up to and including him. After that, things got a little bit meh for my liking.

The guy who played Tristan in All Creatures Great and Small was Peter Davison, aka the Fifth Doctor. He was pretty good in the role. And David Tennant (10th Doctor) is engaged to his daughter, who he met on set of Season 4 of Doctor Who (episode entitled "The Doctor's Daughter"). They have just recently welcomed a baby girl into the world.

When I saw the first promo shot of Matt Smith, I was gutted. I thought he looked like an emo and too bloody young. However, once I saw him in the role, I was pleasantly surprised. I really like him, but David Tennant will always be my favourite <3. I quite like Christopher Eccleston, but in retrospect he made the Doctor a bit too ordinary for my taste. But I still enjoyed the season he did and loved the whole Doctor-Rose thing that he had going and David continued. I also think Billie Piper/Rose Tyler was the best companion since the relaunch in 2005.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree that Matt Smith has done a good job.

Just imagine the pressure of trying to step into David Tennant's shoe's after the public and critical acclaim he got (quite rightly IMO).

To become familiar with the franchise, i'd recommend starting with the first Christopher Ecclestone episode as a good introduction (as it was written for a new audience that hadn't seen Doctor Who before, but with nod's to the past for older fan's).

Stick with it for a few episodes, if you struggle; skip to the Christmas Special episode that introduced David Tennant and watch the next few episodes in order.

If after that you're not enthused, you probably won't like the rest of the modern series, but could always try the older stuff (as netmouse said they were made on a very small budget and are very B-Movieesque).

Well put, U.L.O.S. We have a house guest who enjoys Doctor Who (she's with us for a year, so she probably doesn't have much choice haha) and hubby started her The Planet of the Dead, which was the first one in David Tennant's "gap" year. So she saw the regeneration and then got a whole fresh look with Matt Smith. Personally, I wanted to start her on "Rose" (Eccleston's first ep) but that would have taken a while to get through to current stuff.

Your advice is great!

I didn't realise that the "newer" version of Dr Who had been going for so long.

I've become a bit of a fan of David Tennant, but haven't really seen the other Drs in action yet.

I'm still stuck in 1980 with Tom Baker. Still my ultimate choice.

I went through a phase where I used to wear a scarf and eat jelly babies. Never got the time travel thing happening, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Dr Who is definitely one of those shows you either like or dislike. I can remember how excited I used to get when they announced a new Doctor. I think this idea of replacing the Doctor every few seasons certainly helped to maintain a healthy fan base.

Just to add my two cents into this... David T. is the greatest Doc from the new series, although Matt Smith has started to seriously carve out a niche for himself. As for eps to watch to get into the show. I agree with the person who said to watch the 1st one of this new series of Doctors. It's a good "never seen this before" ep. Other than that some of the best that have been done are.....

Blink - Season 3 Ep 10

The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit (two parter) - Season 2 Eps 8 & 9

Stolen Earth and Journey's End (two parter) - Season 4 eps 12 & 13

The Eleventh Hour - Season 5 Ep 1

Those will give you a great feel for the show and imho are some of the best from all 5 seasons.

Also to give you a good line from one of the eps that definitely gives a feel from the show ....

Amy : and here I thought you were just a mad man with a box.

Doctor: Amy listen very carefully because your life may depend on this one day. I am most definitely a mad man with a box!

"Blink" is one of my all-time favourite episodes. Chilling. And yet quirky too. Love that. I liked when they brought back the weeping angels with Matt Smith, but it was not as good as that first time. :)

Other episodes worth a mention:

School Reunion (with the late Elisabeth Sladen, Tom Baker's companion back in the 70s)

Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel

Army of Ghosts/Doomsday (cried like a baby at the end!)

Human Nature/Family of Blood

The Unicorn and the Wasp (I like Agatha Christie)

Midnight (particularly brilliant performance by David Tennant)

Turn Left

The Stolen Earth/Journey's End

The Eleventh Hour

The Lodger

to name but a few... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge Doctor Who fan. I've been a fan since the revival in 2005. My favourite Doctor is Patrick Troughton followed by Matt Smith and my favourite companion is Jamie.

Ooh, and my favourite stories/episodes are The Invasion and The Eleventh Hour.