Anyone know of any Doctor Who books aimed at, or that would appeal to, kids? I've got a 9 year old Whovian who is rapidly convincing himself he doesn't like books or reading. I thought some of you in the UK, in particular, might have seen more titles than we do here across the pond. Picture books, kid chapter books / easy novels, episode guides, cool trivia, etc. all welcome. Please PM me details. Thx!

Hey IRENE,

I've never read any Dr. Who books myself, but from what I've gathered, they are probably to advanced for a 9 year due to harder then normal.word of people, places and things.

But don't take my word for it, buy a book and see what happens ! 

Good luck, let me know what happens.

Your Friend,

Mike

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The DOCTOR is in starting in Sept.

Hello, I am not really into Doctor Who. I saw one or two episodes (an very old and a new one) and thought ... its not that good. So maybe the fans could name their best episodes and what they love

My theory is that some people were born with their head up their ass, and never bothered to remove it.

Hey IRENE,

I've never read any Dr. Who books myself, but from what I've gathered, they are probably to advanced for a 9 year due to harder then normal.word of people, places and things.

But don't take my word for it, buy a book and see what happens !

Good luck, let me know what happens.

Your Friend,

Mike

I actually found a few things he likes. The Dr Who Character Encyclopedia is heavy on pics and light on text--perfect. Also found a couple Dr Who comic books at a comic book store on the weekend. Not Stuart's. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of any Doctor Who books aimed at, or that would appeal to, kids? I've got a 9 year old Whovian who is rapidly convincing himself he doesn't like books or reading. I thought some of you in the UK, in particular, might have seen more titles than we do here across the pond. Picture books, kid chapter books / easy novels, episode guides, cool trivia, etc. all welcome. Please PM me details. Thx!

Does you local library have anything like this available?  

I was so looking forward to watching this,  it was shown here in Australia at exactly the same time as it showed in the UK, so that meant I had to get up at 4.20am to watch it on Sunday morning, which I did happily.  I loved Capaldi, but thought the first episode was a little too frantic at times, but I am so looking forward to Clara and the Doctor just getting used to each other and just get back to being to the business of saving the universe.

The last two episodes have been the strongest so far in the series,  I won't say anymore in case you haven't seen them,  but Capaldi is owning the Doctor.  

Edited by Convict13

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The best series IMO is when Tom Baker was the Doctor.

Especially the first part of his reign, up to and including Hand Of Fear.

Likewise, the second part of the Jon Pertwee reign, from The Time Warrior onward.

I think you can see where I'm heading with this. :icon_biggrin: 

Also Miss Sarah Jane Smith was a bit of a hottie.

That is the understatement of the century.

My favorite stories are all old-Who, and from the SJS era.

In order, starting with my ultimate favorite story:-

Pyramids of Mars.

Genesis of the Daleks.

Seeds of Doom.

Also loved the character of Bettan in GOTD.

G-D.jpg

Edited by Stephen Hawking

Anyone know of any Doctor Who books aimed at, or that would appeal to, kids?

Have you checked out Fanfic.net?

I'm not saying there is anything suitable on there, but a cursory search shows there are a fair number of Dr Who stories on Fanfic.net.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Peter Capaldi would consider an appearance on The Big Bang Theory because he'll 'do anything for a laugh'

Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi has said he would consider a guest appearance on US comedy The Big Bang Theory.

The smash hit American sitcom about a group of socially-awkward scientists has made numerous references to Doctor Who over the years.

When asked if he would like to join the list of famous guest stars, who include former Marvel Comics head Stan Lee and Professor Stephen Hawking, he said: “I might.”

He added: “Depends what the script is like. Depends how good the gags are. I’ll do anything for good gags, I’m an actor, I’m a tart. I’ll do anything for a laugh.”

1447436658-fa61499b7c67cf6793b7163520d54

http://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/peter-capaldi-would-consider-an-appearance-on-the-big-bang-theory-because-hell-do-anything-for-a-laugh-705593.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

4 hours ago, vonmar said:

Peter Capaldi would consider an appearance on The Big Bang Theory because he'll 'do anything for a laugh'

Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi has said he would consider a guest appearance on US comedy The Big Bang Theory.

The smash hit American sitcom about a group of socially-awkward scientists has made numerous references to Doctor Who over the years.

When asked if he would like to join the list of famous guest stars, who include former Marvel Comics head Stan Lee and Professor Stephen Hawking, he said: “I might.”

He added: “Depends what the script is like. Depends how good the gags are. I’ll do anything for good gags, I’m an actor, I’m a tart. I’ll do anything for a laugh.”

1447436658-fa61499b7c67cf6793b7163520d54

http://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/peter-capaldi-would-consider-an-appearance-on-the-big-bang-theory-because-hell-do-anything-for-a-laugh-705593.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

he's ruined Doctor Who (along with the writers of course). So no...no thank you, Peter.

Edited by Amy Fowler

14 hours ago, vonmar said:

OMG YES PLEASE!

(Sorry Amy, I love Peter!)

11 minutes ago, A Shamy gal said:

I say yes as well.  I think he's doing a good job as the doctor.  If anything's ruined DW for me it's Moffat.

lol right? If anything Peter makes Moffat's writing watchable! Though I do admit I really enjoy the current S9. It feels like they're finally writing for Twelve and not just giving him hastily rewritten leftover scripts from Eleven's era.

Edited by April
  • Like 1

Doctor Who used to be a brilliant show but it has gone completely down the toilet since Steven Moffat took over. His writing turned it from a family show into a kids' show, and the whole thing is now so complciated and far fetched that only hardcore fans are left and most if not all causal viewers have been alienated. Capaldi also doesn't suit the role of The Doctor; nor did Matt Smith. I would like an entirely new writing team with new ideas, writing for a new doctor played by an established actor who is allowed to have some fun with the role.

I agree that there have been far less good adventures with DOCTOR WHO in the last 4+/- years and Capaldi is the worst Doctor of the lot. The last thing I need to see is some old guy play the guitar in (almost?) every episode. And what's this thing about sonic glasses? If the sonic screwdriver isn't broken, DON"T FIX IT !!!!  And as far as his current companion, she isn't even worth talking about. 

It's no longer the adventurers of DOCTOR WHO, it's all about DOCTOR WHAAAAT ? . If I didn't know better I'd say "they" are TRYING to cancel the show on purpose!

I however, will continue watching and hoping that somewhere in time and space, the TARDIS will find it's way back, so we can all enjoy another 50 years of DOCTOR WHO.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've seen some episodes of Doctor Who, from each incarnation, up until the final episode with Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Alfred (Ace), the movie with Paul McGann, and all the episodes from the reboot with Chris Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith and the latest, Peter Capaldi. It's from Chris Eccleston that I have all the DVDs, but only some from the original actors.

• 4 months later...

From The Guardian

The doctor is out: Peter Capaldi leaving Doctor Who after Christmas special

Peter Capaldi has announced that he will be leaving the cult sci-fi show Doctor Who after the 2017 Christmas special.

(more in the link)