The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FemmeFatale

What Do You Want or Expect in Season 5 of The Big Bang Theory?

1. No more Amy! Not a believable character at all. There are plenty of real-life Sheldon types out there, but I've never come across a female Sheldon type! Super-smart women tend to be more socially well-adjusted. Also, not sure if its the direction or the actress herself but Amy simply isn't funny, her delivery always sounds contrived and her mannerisms are so over the top you can't suspend disbelief. Sheldon may be an asexual pedant - but he is believable as a human being. Lots of uber clever people simply don't get social interaction - but Sheldon has recognizable human attributes. Amy on the other hand isn't believable at all - it seems they just tired to photocopy Sheldon, forgetting that in nature, you only ever get male Sheldons ;-) Don't argue, its the truth and I have the empirical data to back it up ;-)

A lot of people can't stand Priya - I don't mind her, at least she's a believable character - Amy has basically ruined the show and is now also ruining the Sheldon character. If you want to develop the Sheldon character - find another vehicle - AMY BLOWS!!!

2. More obscure geeky references - people like Sheldon and Leonard would be massive fans of a lot of British comedy sci-fi too - Red Dwarf, Hitchhikers Guide etc.

3. More Lesley Winkle, Barry Kripkie & Stuart please? Zack was pretty funny too.

4. Could we actually have a bit more narrative regarding their career progress? We never seem to hear them talking about the papers or experiments they're working on any more. Sheldon in particular is supposedly a world leading theoretical physicist - who is he in dialogue with? Are his papers being discredited or is he actually as brilliant as he thinks he is? We want a window into their working lives as well as leisure time. All these highly intellectual people seem to do all day is eat take out, read comics and watch TV - how exactly did they get their doctorates if they spend all day dossing?

5. Stop being lazy when researching Sheldon's lines! In the ep where Leonard wants to learn american Football to get in with penny's friends Shledon says they play every kind of football in Texas but the original kind "European Football" - for starters, its called "Association Football' - its not right to make Sheldon wrong just so U.S. audiences get the joke. Plus Sheldon would then reel off an exhaustive list of types of football not played in Texas - these would likely include Rugby Football (union & league), Gaelic Football, Canadian Football, Australian Rules Football, Kemari, Crab Football, Table Football & (of course) both The Eton Wall Game and The Eton Field Game. That's what people like Sheldon do - memorize reams of obscure useless facts and regurgitate them at will when no one really asks. In short - ALWAYS ensure Sheldon is not only right, but dead right in every pedantic regard. Sheldon also incorrectly summarises the meaning of "reductio ad absurdum" in The Dumpling Paradox. He calls it a fallacy as opposed to a proof. Reduction ad absurdum is simply the elimination of a proposition if an absurdity is implied when the argument is taken to its logical conclusion - it only becomes a logical fallacy if a false dichotomy is posited within the terms of the proposition. Sheldon really shouldn't make these kind of gaffes - research his lines better!!!

6. More a general point here - stop dumbing the show down. Isn't it SUPPOSED to be a niche show for intellectual nerdy types? So... write the show assuming the audience all have at least a minimum IQ of say 135-140, with a basic grasp of science, history, philosophy, classics etc. Keep at least some of the jokes intellectually high-brow enough that the majority of people don't get them - Easter eggs if you will. When i watch TBBT I occasionally want to hear a joke I don't get because, for example, I didn't take Organic Chemistry at Uni. You want that re-assurance that all the jokes you DO get, mean you're a pretty smart cookie - sad, but true ;-)

7. The main characters should take more of an interest in Sheldon's emotional development. Ok, he can be super annoying but he's also funny, quite endearing at times and actually a pretty decent friend (as far as he's capable that is). They clearly love him dearly (when he moved to Bozeman for example) and would take more of an active interest in bringing him out himself.

8. Find a vehicle for Sheldon to have some kind of limited sexual awakening - ok, sex & relationships are never going to be all that important to him but we ALL have a libido to some degree. Perhaps he accidentally ingests a aphrodisiac drug and ends up in bed with someone only to find he doesn't have a clue what to do with his impulses. You can say that as a character he's repressed or has a very low libido and doesn't recognise his own feelings & emotions. To persist with this idea of him as some kind of asexual enuch is a bit far fetched. He doesn't have to become a horn-dog, but surely he'd have at least some kind of sexual experience at some point. The comic potential would be EPIC!!!

The main thing I NEED to see (or rather not see) next season is getting rid of the Amy character - the rest I can live with!

2. More obscure geeky references - people like Sheldon and Leonard would be massive fans of a lot of British comedy sci-fi too - Red Dwarf, Hitchhikers Guide etc.

3. More Lesley Winkle, Barry Kripkie & Stuart please? Zack was pretty funny too.

7. The main characters should take more of an interest in Sheldon's emotional development. Ok, he can be super annoying but he's also funny, quite endearing at times and actually a pretty decent friend (as far as he's capable that is). They clearly love him dearly (when he moved to Bozeman for example) and would take more of an active interest in bringing him out himself.

8. Find a vehicle for Sheldon to have some kind of limited sexual awakening - ok, sex & relationships are never going to be all that important to him but we ALL have a libido to some degree. Perhaps he accidentally ingests a aphrodisiac drug and ends up in bed with someone only to find he doesn't have a clue what to do with his impulses. You can say that as a character he's repressed or has a very low libido and doesn't recognise his own feelings & emotions. To persist with this idea of him as some kind of asexual enuch is a bit far fetched. He doesn't have to become a horn-dog, but surely he'd have at least some kind of sexual experience at some point. The comic potential would be EPIC!!!

Some good points I would have to agree with. Well researched and well put!:icon_cheesygrin:

Some good points I would have to agree with. Well researched and well put!:icon_cheesygrin:

Well researched? I just type and cross my fingers that the thoughts fall onto the page in cogent sentences ;-)

But, thanks for the sentiment!

Definitely more geeky bits. I also like the "in" jokes. Its not that I want to feel smarter than other people, but just that the references are part of my world - which is why I got interested in the show in the first place. H-igs Bow-zone Pear-tickle with Sheldon's mannerisms kills me every time.

I don't mind Amy as a side character, but not as anything main. She'll be the one if Sheldon ends up having any kind of sex. They certainly hinted at that in the finale.

Which brings me to the main thing I want for season five. If they don't come up with some fix so that Raj and Penny not only didn't have sex but also didn't even intend to have sex, everything else will be irrelevant as I won't be able to watch the show anymore anyway.

Personally I would like some reference to high functioning autism even if t is only via speculation about Sheldon...

It is the least the writers could do since a large part of the show's success is based on Sheldon's quirkiness.

Cheers,

Peter...

6. And I would be happy to have "high school physics jokes" again.....

Leonard: "force required to lift is reduced by sine of the angle of the stairs - call it 30 degress, so about half"

Sheldon (correcting Leonard) : "exactly half"

Leonard (mimicking Sheldon, sarcastically) : "exactly half"

Leonard: "force required to lift is reduced by sine of the angle of the stairs - call it 30 degress, so about half"

Sheldon (correcting Leonard) : "exactly half"

Leonard (mimicking Sheldon, sarcastically) : "exactly half"

I actually love this because it is one of the scenes that show how experimental and theoretical physics differ.

in sheldons view, he has accepted the 30 degree angle so "exactly half" would be correct, but to leonard the angle was only approximate so "about half" is correct.

how is amy not believable???

sorry but shes believable

just cuz you see sheldon's spitting image in a female version, it's not believe

plus amy isn't like sheldon anymore

"There are plenty of real-life Sheldon types out there, but I've never come across a female Sheldon type!" just cuz you never came across one doesn't mean they don't exist

"Super-smart women tend to be more socially well-adjusted"

and this only applies to women?..no it doesn't...it can be the same for super-smart men

it's funny how you say AMY ruined the show...no it's not...it was the direction plus Priya that was ruining it

not Amy

It will be interesting to see if the writers just leave Leonard and Penny as "friends" for season 5.

Bernadette is obviously going to remain a fixture. Don't really care which way they go with Priya.

Amy.... hmmmm... she's the dark horse here. She's a very easy character to get rid of in the sense that neither she nor Sheldon have any "emotional" tie to each other and their psychological makeup allows them to end their relationship at any time without feeling any remorse.

I want more nerdy talk and more Penny and Leonard drinking scenes and Sheldon too of course

sheldon drinking scenes are classic!!

he just keep spitting it back into the shotglass

I want more nerdy talk and more Penny and Leonard drinking scenes and Sheldon too of course

sheldon drinking scenes are classic!!

he just keep spitting it back into the shotglass

tooo funny and when penny slipped some rum into his diet coke lol

how is amy not believable???

sorry but shes believable

Sorry, I just don't buy the character whatsoever.

just cuz you see sheldon's spitting image in a female version, it's not believe

plus amy isn't like sheldon anymore

No, I don't see her as a spit of Sheldon. She shares some characteristics but is dissimilar in other ways. She doesn't share Sheldon's (or the other lads') passion for neatly ordered collections, she doesn't appear to have legacy childlike tendencies, or if she does, she doesn't indulge them like Sheldon does (kite flying, fantasy role play etc.)

"There are plenty of real-life Sheldon types out there, but I've never come across a female Sheldon type!" just cuz you never came across one doesn't mean they don't exist

No, I stand by my point that 'Sheldons' don't naturally occur in nature - that is to say people with an ultra high IQ allied to mannerisms that bear a strong similarity to MALE Aspergers sufferers aren't often WOMEN. Aspergers manifests completely differently in males and females.

My trouble believing Amy stems from the fact she displays many of problems you'd expect in Aspergers without any of the attendant markers that'd suggest FEMALE Aspergers. ie. playing with dolls into adolescence/adulthood, social mimicry. The only bit of her character that is kinda right is that she doesn't 'act up' like Sheldon when stressed - thats more a male thing.

What I'm saying is 'Female Sheldons' do exist, but they differently to Sheldon Cooper. A believable Amy would be a brilliant scientist but might, for example play with dolls or discuss her theories with imaginary friends - she'd have some of the fallible quirkiness of Sheldon, but in a subtly different, more female way. She wouldn't be an automaton of pure reason with no quirkiness or sense of humor who then randomly does things completely out of character for no apparent reason.

"Super-smart women tend to be more socially well-adjusted"

and this only applies to women?..no it doesn't...it can be the same for super-smart men

My bad here - didn't express myself clearly enough. I meant to say super smart women tend to be more socially well adjusted than super smart men are. Think most people would agree with this.

it's funny how you say AMY ruined the show...no it's not...it was the direction plus Priya that was ruining it

not Amy

You're expressing a subjective opinion there mate. Amy ruined the show for ME. Priya may have ruined the show for YOU but you are not ME. See, two different SUBJECTS of the same experience have different OPINIONS = subjective opinion.

I quite like the Priya character - the friction with both Sheldon and Penny creates a common cause between two characters (SheNny) who are brilliant in scenes together but don't naturally have much common ground. Priya isn't really a long-term cast member anyway, but I liked the shows she was in - not for her character per se but because it was a great catalyst to develop other characters and relationships (Sheldon / Penny, Leonard / Sheldon, Leonard / Raj). Lots of cool stuff was able to happen because that character was there in the plot - you don't have to like Priya, just like the fact she offered room for the show to move forward and not become stale.

Amy on the other hand is just plain annoying.

"You're expressing a subjective opinion there mate. Amy ruined the show for ME. Priya may have ruined the show for YOU but you are not ME. See, two different SUBJECTS of the same experience have different OPINIONS = subjective opinion. "

"A lot of people can't stand Priya - I don't mind her, at least she's a believable character - Amy has basically ruined the show and is now also ruining the Sheldon character. If you want to develop the Sheldon character - find another vehicle - AMY BLOWS!!!"

Your post that i was replying to was that you said she ruined the show (not ruined the show for you)

My trouble believing Amy stems from the fact she displays many of problems you'd expect in Aspergers without any of the attendant markers that'd suggest FEMALE Aspergers. ie. playing with dolls into adolescence/adulthood, social mimicry.

i understand what you are saying, but i don't see how this applies to anything...

A believable Amy would be a brilliant scientist but might, for example play with dolls or discuss her theories with imaginary friends

so in order to satisfy you for having Amy on the show is if she played with dolls and talk to imaginary people??? your whole argument makes no sense on this part...shes not consider a main character - she doesn't have much air time when we see her alone...shes ALWAYS with someone

I meant to say super smart women tend to be more socially well adjusted than super smart men are. Think most people would agree with this.

yes that is true, but that's only if the person ARE social-able. Some women are not. In this case, Amy isn't.

Also, Amy told Penny she never had any friends. She ate with the janitor. Therefore, no one wanted to be friends with her. Sheldon on the other hand..have friends for the past 8 years...(Thursday night was always Pizza night...discuss events and yes share a laugh or two)

You are comparing Amy to Sheldon so much yet you admit yourself that she isn't a spitting image of Sheldon.

I know Priya was just there for Leonard and Penny to get back together. I know she was setting the stage for them. Im stating what 95% of the fans are feeling that Priya is ruining the show and the direction it is heading.

No, I stand by my point that 'Sheldons' don't naturally occur in nature - that is to say people with an ultra high IQ allied to mannerisms that bear a strong similarity to MALE Aspergers sufferers aren't often WOMEN.

You can't stand by your point because for you to say Sheldon's don't naturally occur in nature..that also goes for Sheldon himself..He shouldn't be the way he is if we go by your point. What you are doing is being sterotype/sexist and only thinking Males are the only one to be that way.

Just because you hear the word geek or nerd, you automatically think its a GUY.

your whole entire argument is just to dumb down Amy because shes a female that plays a nerdy character, which you don't find believable because you haven't encounter one before. At first you say they don't exist, but when corrected you say they exist, but your argument is still leaning towards nerdy/geeky girls who have trouble talking to people simply do not exist.

And again, you said OFTEN!!! Amy is an exception.

Simonsays

1. I stand by my point that female sheldons don't exist in the real world. Ultra high functioning women on the threshold of the Autistic spectrum (Female Sheldons if you will) manifest characteristically female idiosyncrasies - there is a completely different character and feel to the idiosyncrasies. In the real world, women with a similar IQ to Sheldon Cooper with similar borderline Aspergers problems don't behave in a way that is particularly similar to Sheldon Cooper. Thats what I'm saying when I say "Female Sheldons don't exist" - they do exist, but they don't behave in a way that is all that similar to "Male Sheldons". Sooo, Female Sheldons don't exist - Females with high IQs and borderline Aspergers do exist but they don't behave in a similar way to Sheldon Cooper.

2: In real life, women with an ultra-high IQ and borderline aspergers are far less common than men with a similar makeup, roughly 10 men for each woman. So allied to the fact "Female Sheldons" don't behave like Sheldon Cooper in the first place, they're also incredibly rare (however they behave). Sheldon is supposed to have an Iq of what? 187 or so? That makes him 1 in 300,656,786 on IQ alone. Now factor in that only about 2 in 1000 people have Aspergers, and that 9/10 of those will be male. There are about 7 billion people on the planet. Do the maths ;-)

1. A theoretical female, with an IQ of 187+ and Aspergers esque learning difficulties would have noticeably different idiosyncrasies to Sheldon Cooper.

2. People with an IQ of 187 AND aspergers who also happen to be women are so fantastically improbable that the chance of more than one being alive on the planet at any one time are pretty unlikely.

I therefore stand by my point that Female Sheldons don't really exist in nature.

I was going to respond to a few more of your 'points' - however on reflection, this discussion with you isn't going anywhere productive fast is it? You just get more and more pedantic & confrontational and don't seem to make any effort to really understand the thrust of what I'm saying or respect anyone else's right to an opinion that differs from your own. I just can't be bothered to argue the toss over meaningless semantics anymore or respond to endless poorly argued non sequiturs. You seem to have an almost completely literal way of interpreting things - you're concerned I didn't specify Amy ruined the show FOR ME. 99.9% of people would be able to figure out that "Amy ruined the show" is not meant as a statement of fact but as a casually expressed personal opinion. Can you really not tell the difference or are you just picking the argument apart on semantics because you can't offer a constructive response?

"Thats what I'm saying when I say "Female Sheldons don't exist" - they do exist, but they don't behave in a way that is all that similar to "Male Sheldons". Sooo, Female Sheldons don't exist - Females with high IQs and borderline Aspergers do exist but they don't behave in a similar way to Sheldon Cooper."

that's enough said

and you're saying about respecting opinions, you are saying THEY DON'T EXIST!!! that's not an opinion

you throw in these little facts stating to prove that Amy do not exist

but you don't know the background of this character

you never met a person like that so you stand on your point

your point isn't valid as FACTS

a person with high IQ doesn't mean that person will be like Sheldon or any of the characters

Leo, Raj, Howard - all high IQ, they are nerdy but they aren't as nerdy

you do the math, you telling me about 7 billion people on earth and NOT ONE AMY would exist

that does not count as a FACT

you don't want to "debate" anymore not because im not speaking in terms like you do

but because you keep going on about they exist but don't exist and the fact that you NEVER encounter one, but i said i did..in fact a few of them...

it's not that i can't construct a response like you do, i choose not to because 90% of the board don't even know the terms you are using

and i don't have the time to

i don't mind people with their own opinions, but come on your post was strictly bashing on Amy because you said it ruined the show and that shes not believable because no "female sheldon" exist

you think you are throwing out facts, but they aren't

because i met a few girls just like amy before that already tells me those aren't facts

"People with an IQ of 187 AND aspergers who also happen to be women are so fantastically improbable that the chance of more than one being alive on the planet at any one time are pretty unlikely."

you try to prove me a point about IQs..how many people on this Earth actually got tested on their IQ? are you telling me you met all 7 billion people? if not, don't ASSUME..because that makes an Ass out of U and Me

and even if people with lower IQ, does not mean they can't be like Amy or Sheldon

people can still have drives to be smarter and spend their time hitting the books

and plus i don't know what you are watching...Amy isn't like Sheldon anymore

theres a big difference now

Read the threads/posts..people who didn't like Amy...now they like her or even love her to be on the show because she has her own personality now and adds more humor to the show

...really long post..

Agreed on many points but what caught my eye is Sheldon's sex life. We all know he doesn't have one but do you guys remember the PILOT episode when Lenny and Shelly is about to donate sperm and Lenny says to Shelly "you are a semi pro already" or something like that.

Also the first point that Amy is unbelievable character I agree totally!

Yes, I do remember that comment in the pilot - I'd always assumed the writers probably didn't have a fully formed idea of what we now know as the Sheldon character at that early stage. Initially he was probably intended to just be a maladjusted geeky type, slightly smarter than Leonard but even less socially adjusted (who spent a lot of time in his room and had one forearm significantly bigger than the other).

ps. "today we tried masturbating for money!"

If you've seen the unaired original pilot, you would find that Sheldon is not so "unexperienced" either. I'm glad they changed their minds about that.

Agreed on many points but what caught my eye is Sheldon's sex life. We all know he doesn't have one!

Funny you say that - I'm currently sat here watching 'Kinsey' on TV - all about Albert Kinsey - reminded me that sexologists actually recognise asexuality as a valid sexual orientation - studies suggest 1% of people never experience sexual attraction toward anyone or anything over their entire lifetime. So there is actually a valid empirical foundation for Sheldon's character being genuinely asexual.

If you've seen the unaired original pilot, you would find that Sheldon is not so "unexperienced" either. I'm glad they changed their minds about that.

Oooh, where can I see that - you got a linky?

@Nagarjuna: We're not allowed to post the actual link to the unaired pilot.

However, go back through the season one threads and you'll find one about the "unaired pilot episode". In it, a couple of us "hint" at where you can find the original pilot.