The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
netmouse

Did WoW attract viewers?

Had World Of Warcraft not featured so early in the series, do you think a lot of people would have not become avid watchers of the show?

WoW is one of the more traditional nerdisms, right up there with Halo, which also features regularly.

IMO WoW instantly appeals to most of the geeky amongst us and is stereotypically associated with the lifestyle.

I'd definitely say that the opening scene in ep3 would have got the nerd-juices bubbling in a lot of potential viewers.

Maybe if Raj and Penny had played Halo instead of having sex, the uproar that occurred at the end of season 4 might have been averted.

• Like 4

I actually an the opposite. The Big Bang Theory has made me go out today and buy WoW. No joke, i bought it on my lunch break, its something called the "battle chest" edition. I have no real idea of what WoW is, excpet from what i know on BBT.

Im a Halo and Modern Warfare fan, and have levelled up on COD so i can get that aspect. But since i have no clue of WoW, im excited and kinds scared to find out all about it. But yea, its the other way about for me. BBT got me to buy WoW.

Nice. The Battle Chest, from memory, contains the original game + the first expansion.

More than enough to get you going in the world of Azeroth, Peter. The level cap continues to increase with the 3rd and 4th expansions, though.

Depending how you play, you can hit the level cap in a number of weeks if you rush it. I recommend taking your time and enjoying the scenery. Great fun... enjoy.

Thats right net. It contains the game, 1st expansion pack and 2 strategy guides. I got it yesterday but i still havent played it since the installation and downloading of patches took forever! It didnt finish until this morning so i will look forward to getting home from work tonight to begin playing, and create my character!

One thing i will say, is that im a bit intimidated at the vastness of it all. Reading the game manuals, flicking through the strategy guides, never having played any sort of PC game before, and also the fact that the game is 6 years old is a little off putting. But i will persevere, and try to enjoy the experience.

I played WoW long before i knew what TBBT was!

I'm into fantasy stuff since i was born and nobody can take that away from me!!

>.<

But yeah,a lot of people automatically buy things they see on TV or internet so i guess somebody did buy it.

@Peter: WoW is the kind of game you can just load up and play. It is very very intuitive and easy to play.

The manuals are full of backstory and are very detailed.

The patching does take a long time. My first install went for 17 hours. Enjoy Azeroth.

@Alien: don't know if the updater still works the same way as it did, but when I played you had to "sit" with the game and instal each individual update before it would download the next patch.

It sucked big time. Thankfully the main patch was a 10 hour download which meant you could at least go to bed and let it run.

Nope, never interested me.

I am old school sports geek...I have a regeneron which plays NES, SNES and Sega Genesis...my games.

I play techmo super bowl, tony larussa and world series baseball, plus romance of the three kindoms and pirates gold!

I also am onlin eleagues for Out of The park Baseball which is a baseball game that uses mathmatical algorithms and multiple variables,

Yes, I am geek enough :)

I love my fantasy RPGs. Unfortunately no one's really done anything great since Final Fantasy 8 and 10 imo.

WoW has tarnished the MMO industry by creating a game that is immediately accessible and allows anyone of any age to play and easily grind through to endgame.

For whatever reason, WoW has now become the benchmark against which all other MMOs are rated on.

For the Alliance !!

I played WoW before the show existed, I was already addicted to the show before they even mentionned the game. I don't really think the two are related. Maybe the show attracted some people to WoW, but the contrary doesn't seem very likely.

I played WoW before the show existed, I was already addicted to the show before they even mentionned the game. I don't really think the two are related. Maybe the show attracted some people to WoW, but the contrary doesn't seem very likely.

:icon_arrowu:

I played and still play City Of Heroes, which was the original game that Champions based itself on. CoH is the better of the two games imo.

CoH also features regularly in the background of both the boys apartment and Howard's bedroom.