The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
netmouse

The truly human side of Sheldon

LOL. :D

(Getting serious for a moment) I think his apology to Amy in Vacation Solution was a very human moment. He didn't need to do that, but he did, and he was completely sincere when he finally said it.

I think he was really human when he huggs Penny for the napkin gift and in the episode with the bird :)...lovey-dovey :icon_cheesygrin:..sweet.

I thought it was cute when Amy and Sheldon discovered that Amy was sexually aroused by Zack. Amy asked if Sheldon was suppressing jealousy, and instead of answering the question, Sheldon said, "I think I'll finish my lunch at home," implying that he didn't want to deal with the issue. Then later, because apparently Sheldon thought Amy's sexual urges needed to be sated, he set up a meeting with Zack despite his supposed suppressed jealousy (and the fact that he didn't have to and wasn't under any obligation to). The exchange they had in the bar was really cute too:

Sheldon: "Go, Amy Farrah Fowler. Follow your endocrine system."

Amy: "Thank you, Sheldon. You're a good friend."

Sheldon: "Please don't drag this out." (Is he experiencing some emotional turmoil here? :))

I guess this follows the saying: "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was yours." xD

Another scene that comes to mind is when Sheldon pursued Amy on her date with Stuart. This instant was the first time where I think Sheldon was truly shy and apprehensive (using a quadruple negative) in admitting his feelings for Amy, when he's usually so confident.

I thought it was cute when Amy and Sheldon discovered that Amy was sexually aroused by Zack. Amy asked if Sheldon was suppressing jealousy, and instead of answering the question, Sheldon said, "I think I'll finish my lunch at home," implying that he didn't want to deal with the issue. Then later, because apparently Sheldon thought Amy's sexual urges needed to be sated, he set up a meeting with Zack despite his supposed suppressed jealousy (and the fact that he didn't have to and wasn't under any obligation to). The exchange they had in the bar was really cute too:

Sheldon: "Please don't drag this out." (Is he experiencing some emotional turmoil here? :))

I guess this follows the saying: "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was yours." xD

Another scene that comes to mind is when Sheldon pursued Amy on her date with Stuart. This instant was the first time where I think Sheldon was truly shy and apprehensive (using a quadruple negative) in admitting his feelings for Amy, when he's usually so confident.

"The thought of you sitting in a darkened theatre with a character like Stuart is repellent." I guess a lot changed in the year between the Zack set-up, and Stuart.

I'd have to vote for the re-enactment of "Where No Sheldon Has Gone Before"

... Mommyyyyyyy! Don't let Mr. Spock take me away to the 24th and half century!...

OMG that episode was hilarious :icon_cheesygrin:....Kaley was so funny as Spock. :icon_cool:

I really like the beginning of The Staircase Implementation (season 3, episode 22) and Sheldon and Leonard are fighting about the thermostat, and they're yelling at each other. Sheldon's not a yeller and hates fighting, so it was interesting to hear, "NO, YOU DON'T SCREW THE ROOMMATE AGREEMENT, THE ROOMMATE AGREEMENT SCREWS YOU!" followed by, "I DON'T HAVE TO GO TO HELL, AT 73 DEGREES, I'M THERE ALREADY!"

In the same episode, during the flashback, he does save Leonard, Raj, and Howard (mostly Leonard) from being hurt by the exploding canister of rocket fuel. Leonard also tells Penny that Sheldon didn't rat him out to the landlord, police, or homeland security, and at that point, they barely knew one another since he hadn't been living there that long. I thought that was very nice, for someone like Sheldon, who has insane difficulty lying at all.

I saw that as a really vulnerable moment for him.. he clearly didn't like (or need) to set her up with Zack, but he did it because he felt she needed it, as an altruistic act; and he was afraid that if Amy talked about it for any longer she would see that he was upset.

Yes, a lot changed between Zack and Stuart..

He was very human in all of Flaming Spittoon - incredibly so.

I picked up a new one yesterday - the episode where Sheldon's World of Warcraft account is hacked and the guys go to Todd Zarnecki's house... when Penny picks them up and they're riding home, Sheldon was the one to say Thank you Penny, in a completely genuine way.

I also love when he has to bunk with Penny after locking himself out, and after she sings Soft Kitty he says "Thank you for letting me stay here".

And of course, Adhesive Duck is in a league all its own. :D

He was very human in all of Flaming Spittoon - incredibly so.

I think I only saw that once so far - and it's on E4 tomorrow night :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah yesh... the episode when Penny & Leonard keep arguing, and Sheldon has that complete meltdown in the comic book store when he enacts a scene from his parents' marriage - that was a very human moment IMO.

For a character who is often portrayed as being mainly concerned with himself, he sure comes through when needed. Perhaps he is not as self centered as he likes to pretend.

could Sheldon be any more human when dealing with his mother??

his whole demeanor changes & he completely reverts back to being a child, even when he's on the phone with his mom.

I do not belive he is "self centered" he really cares for his friends, but he does not want to be involved in the trivia of life. Life is to short and there are more important things.

When his friends really need him he is more than willing to step up.

I don't think Sheldon is really self-centered. He's just extremely honest and logical and he acts accordingly.

I think he was very human when he found out aobut Leonard and the others betrayal at the North Pole. He was genuinely hurt by what they did and what it did to his reputation.

I also think Penny brings out the humanity in him. She knows what to say and gets him to respond to her as he does to no one else.

I also love when he has to bunk with Penny after locking himself out, and after she sings Soft Kitty he says "Thank you for letting me stay here".

That to me is his most human moment.

Most of his robotness is a defense mechanism from being bullied a lot and having to deal with parents in an unhappy marriage. "George, I told you if you don't quit drinking I'm going to leave you." "Well that makes you a liar then, cuz I'm drunk as hell and you're still here" I love that line. =)

My favorite "human" Sheldon moment was the scene with him and Penny sitting on the sofa, where he's coaching her through Age of Conan for the first time. He's sitting sideways, with a foot pulled up, leaning close over Penny's shoulder, and right as Leonard walks in the apartment, he's so into it that he's sporting a real, natural, full-on smile. It's about as non-robotic as I've ever seen him.

I totally agree that Sheldon's robotness is a defense mechanism from being bullied a lot and from realizing that life is too short to waste.

For me a very human moment was when Sheldon was tormented by the fact that he accidentally hurt Howard, costing him his security clearance. Also, when Sheldon offered the job to Raj to save him from deportation, and when Sheldon saved Leonard's life.

These moments featured "robotic" Sheldon on the surface with very human emotions underneath (guilt, desire to help a friend, willingness to take a huge risk in order to safe the lives of others).

could Sheldon be any more human when dealing with his mother??

his whole demeanor changes & he completely reverts back to being a child, even when he's on the phone with his mom.

This really does make a lot of sense. No matter what, his mom will be his mom, and she clearly loves him, and he loves her. He's comfortable with her and obviously doesn't have to put up a wall in between them, and we see a very real side of him because of it.

I totally agree that Sheldon's robotness is a defense mechanism from being bullied a lot and from realizing that life is too short to waste.

For me a very human moment was when Sheldon was tormented by the fact that he accidentally hurt Howard, costing him his security clearance. Also, when Sheldon offered the job to Raj to save him from deportation, and when Sheldon saved Leonard's life.

These moments featured "robotic" Sheldon on the surface with very human emotions underneath (guilt, desire to help a friend, willingness to take a huge risk in order to safe the lives of others).

Agreed. For all his 'lack of empathy', he has helped out each of friends one way or other, in their times of crucial need (giving Raj a job, saving Leonard's life, lending Penny money and taking her to the hospital, giving Amy a shoulder to cry on when she was upset). This shows that deep inside, he knows what matters on a human level, and is willing to go the way when it's needed.

This really got to me when I saw it the first time. Just remembered.

Tied in with why I'm digging AFF ... (interesting, I never realized until now that her initials are the same as Adult Friend Finder)... anyways, back on track... the "princess tiara" incident. Not only did he very much realize (if a tad late) his transgression, but he also intuited the only thing in the store that actually resonated with Amy. Which, odd as it seems, shows that he picks up on her needs more than he's given credit for.

I also find that despite Sheldon's antagonistic relationship with Kripke, Sheldon (nor any of the gang) never makes fun of Kripke's speech impediment. They realize it's beyond his control for the most part, and don't assault his character for it. Sheldon's corrected himself at least on one occassion "The waffle, er raffle..." I find that to be quite a human response of Sheldon to understand some things just shouldn't be mocked when it is out of a person's control.

My husband and I have been watching season four at night before bed, and we are now on disk two. Right now, I've also been watching the other seasons at another time when it comes on a station on our TV. It has really struck me how much sheldon talks about friends and friendship in season 4 more than any other time. He really talks about it a lot in season 4. His friends are really important to him, maybe even more so than it is to the rest of the characters.

I also find that despite Sheldon's antagonistic relationship with Kripke, Sheldon (nor any of the gang) never makes fun of Kripke's speech impediment. They realize it's beyond his control for the most part, and don't assault his character for it. Sheldon's corrected himself at least on one occassion "The waffle, er raffle..." I find that to be quite a human response of Sheldon to understand some things just shouldn't be mocked when it is out of a person's control.

I know this is off the thread topic, but this just reminded me of what Raj said - "What part of America is that accent from?" :icon_lol:

has anyone mentioned when Sheldon offers his couch cushion (his spot) to Howard as an apology? ohmigod, that seriously surprised the crap out of me, I thought it was so sweet & so un-Sheldon-like!