The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Should the writers eliminate Rajs selective mutism?

This is one thing that is now beginning to bug me with each season that comes along. I like the character, and Kunal is a good actor and seems like a really nice person. But the selective mutism with women i feel is really starting to hurt his character development (yes, even despite the SE04 finale!).

Looking at the overall picture of female ratio in the series, Raj can still only talk to 2 women sober (mum and sister). With the addition of Amy, Bernadette, and also the possibility of Leonards, Sheldons or even Howards mothers appearing in the future, and also the possibility of Leslie reappearing, does anyone not think its getting a bit stale that he just nods timidly whilst in their company? I was so pleased when the episode appeared showing that he was trying a new line of medication to combat his mutism, but was equally disappointed when it was just turned into a big skit for the episode, involving nude side effects.

Raj is a critical character to the series, and i really like it when he is in full social flow (see the Justice League Recombination to see what i mean). I really am not looking forward to more scenes of him suffering with a hangover, because he has to keep drinking to interact with the other female characters. Especially now with what happeneed in the SE04 finale, in which even Penny said it best, "Really?? STILL CANT TALK TO ME?????"

That's a real conundrum. The mutism has been hilarious (for instance, when he wanted to go out with Missy, and the meds wore off just as he was about to speak to her) but there must be a point where he can start to communicate a bit more with girls (at least one would think so). Perhaps they could introduce it that he starts to talk a little tentatively around the girls he spends more time with (Penny, Bernie, Amy etc).

i remember Howard mentioned like in season 1 that raj can't speak to "beautiful" women..but the writers don't seem to remember that

Its even an inconsistency with "beautiful", since he is unable to speak to Leonards mother. So does this mean Raj is attracted to Sheldons mother??? :icon_eek:

Having said that, however, I'm unsure as to whether or not Howard will tolerate another 3 season's worth of spittle in his ear ?!

This is one thing that is now beginning to bug me with each season that comes along. I like the character, and Kunal is a good actor and seems like a really nice person. But the selective mutism with women i feel is really starting to hurt his character development (yes, even despite the SE04 finale!).

Looking at the overall picture of female ratio in the series, Raj can still only talk to 2 women sober (mum and sister). With the addition of Amy, Bernadette, and also the possibility of Leonards, Sheldons or even Howards mothers appearing in the future, and also the possibility of Leslie reappearing, does anyone not think its getting a bit stale that he just nods timidly whilst in their company? I was so pleased when the episode appeared showing that he was trying a new line of medication to combat his mutism, but was equally disappointed when it was just turned into a big skit for the episode, involving nude side effects.

Raj is a critical character to the series, and i really like it when he is in full social flow (see the Justice League Recombination to see what i mean). I really am not looking forward to more scenes of him suffering with a hangover, because he has to keep drinking to interact with the other female characters. Especially now with what happeneed in the SE04 finale, in which even Penny said it best, "Really?? STILL CANT TALK TO ME?????"

I don't think they should completely remove it, but he should gradually be able to talk a few occasional words to someone like Penny, who is almost 'one of the guys'.

Not full conversations, just a few words here & there.

I really am not looking forward to more scenes of him suffering with a hangover, because he has to keep drinking to interact with the other female characters.

The only hangover I can remember is from 4.3 (The Zazzy Substitution) where Raj gets bombed at Penny's place without any intention to hit on a female. OTOH there are numerous scenes where his SM proved to be great comedy material. I don't consider the SM to be contraindicated for the show. It depends on the authors, how they incorporate it.

So, the vibe I'm picking up here is that, like drinking, Rajs mutism should also be done in moderation. ??

So, the vibe I'm picking up here is that, like drinking, Rajs mutism should also be done in moderation. ??

but i don't get how raj can't control himself from drinking so much and being an ass

remember when he needed a job and then he just drank a bit and made his remarks towards the lady and such...

Thats what i have also been getting it. Its not a simple case, where he drinks and can suddenly talk to women. Its also the fact that he becomes a total ass. So in this regard, how can he ever meet a girl??

Maybe he just needs to find an ass of a girl ? :D

The ladybug girl was cute.

She comments on how good a listener Raj is. Maybe Raj's gift of listening cancels out his ass-ery when he drinks?

Yes. And it's perfectly moderate at this point of time. Keep it that way.

Maybe Raj's gift of listening cancels out his ass-ery when he drinks?

I don't thinks so. From ep. 4x3 we know he's an ass when he drinks, too.

Penny: God, he's an ass when he drinks.

Howard: Oh, he's an ass when he doesn't.

Conclusive proof: Raj is an ass !! period.

Maybe the writers took inspiration from Harpo Marx's method of communication with the car horn?

it stays!

Yorika - I absolutly love the pic in your signature.

(One of the ways that they could "erase" the fail that is Raj / Penny sex would be to play on the Many-worlds interpretation that Sheldon has already referenced in S03E03.)

also notice he wasn't being an ass towards penny when he was drinking yet during the job interview he made lots of sexual comments(even though we didn't hear it) towards her that they filed a complaint on him

But he was an ass to Penny in Season 2 - The Griffin Equivilency. That what annoys me even more about Season 4 finale. Both how he has been an ass to Penny whilst drunk before, and also how repulsed she was by his "suck face" comment. It contradicts itself.