The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Should the writers eliminate Rajs selective mutism?

I think if raj could talk to women he'd turn into a babe magnet, I'd like for them to explain his mutism though

I agree that his mutism is an integral part of his character but the writers have been working on the issue. For instance, Raj knows that it can be cured entirely by placebo like when he ate the rum cake at his apartment and episode 2-17 when he drinks the non alcoholic beer to take to Summer.

Overall though, it's a comedic part of his character and to completely remove it would be a bad decision

If you look at the The Bat Jar Conjecture from Season 1, he actually speaks in front of Penny without drinking any alcohol, I think he says "Great story" or something like that, after Leonard and Howard talk about Zod from Superman, and then covers his mouth after realizing what he just did. And there's no alcohol on the table, only food and water/juice.

I personally would not like to remove mutism because it's really funny, like his inner monologue when he is "chatting" with Penny on the stairs (Season 1, don't know the name of the episode, when Sheldon and Leonard clean the apartment). I wish there would be more such inner monologues with Raj. And I agree that Raj would become a babe magnet if he could talk to women :)

i remember Howard mentioned like in season 1 that raj can't speak to "beautiful" women..but the writers don't seem to remember that

raj should stutter or hiccup or even fart, just odd explosive noises or something when he tries.