The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Writers look set to strike

The Writers Guild of America looks set to order its 12,000 members to go to the picket lines today as the old writers contract expired without agreement on a new one. The WGA wants its members to receive more money from DVDs and Downloads of their work but the studios say that the money made from those alternative mediums is helping to finance rising production costs and so can't afford to give writers a greater cut. If the strike is called later today then production on The Big Bang Theory (and other scripted programming) would likely come to a halt. In the event of a lengthy strike, CBS may struggle to fill its schedule with the limited number of episodes completed, forcing them to take scripted programmes off air. With new shows typically having less episodes in the can than the returning shows, newcomers like The Big Bang Theory are likely to be the first casualties of a prolonged strike. If the show is off air for an over long amount of time then viewers might not come back.

This is horrible news. BBT has become my favourite show and waiting one week is hard enough. Hope they figure something out soon. :(

This is horrible news. BBT has become my favourite show and waiting one week is hard enough. Hope they figure something out soon. :(

I totally agree. I know if they do go on strike I'll still watch BBT when it comes back. I look forward to this show with giddy expectation each week. I hope they figure things out.

Without writers there is no show so they need to give the writers whatever they want. Alot of people have jobs on tv shows and they will be out of work if this strike lasts.

Yes, I read that the Southern California economy could be badly damaged (even a recession) by the strike as TV & Movie production makes a huge part of their economy. All shows will have enough episodes to get through the end of the year, especially as December is usually quite bleak. If the strike goes on, they'll quickly run out of episodes of TBBT to show, and they don't want to rerun it too many times when it only has a few episodes ... I imagine thats when "The New Adventures of Old Christine" will come back. How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men will be fine, they will have more episodes shot this year and they have years of shows to rerun. Rules of Engagement won't be as strong, but its better placed than TBBT :(

Yes, I read that the Southern California economy could be badly damaged (even a recession) by the strike as TV & Movie production makes a huge part of their economy.

Yeah thats what I was talking about. This is bad news for everyone so I doubt it will last long.

I don't know guys this is something that could be really, really bad for this show. New shows will be affected much more than established shows not only, because they have more episodes for repeats, but the new shows do not have a loyal audience yet. If the show goes on hiatus, and it comes back at all the audience may not return in total. It would be a crying shame with the show doing fine, and everything. It would be terrible for something like this to ruin it. Let's hope and pray the strike is settled very, very soon.

I don't know if it's true or not but I just read that there is going to be a meeting tomorrow morning to try and avoid the strike. Hopefully they have agreed to whatever the writers wanted.

I don't know guys this is something that could be really, really bad for this show. New shows will be affected much more than established shows not only, because they have more episodes for repeats, but the new shows do not have a loyal audience yet. If the show goes on hiatus, and it comes back at all the audience may not return in total.

It would be a crying shame with the show doing fine, and everything. It would be terrible for something like this to ruin it. Let's hope and pray the strike is settled very, very soon.

Amen! TBBT is one of my favorite new shows that I look forward to, when it comes back I'll be a faithful watcher. I'll even tell everyone I know to watch it just so we can have good ratings. I hope this strike is over very quickly. :icon_neutral:

"ABC World News" reports the strike is on they did not reach anything by midnight.

:icon_eek:

I just hope it doesn't last very long..I hope both sides can come to an agreement and not have too much desruption to programming.

Damn it :( The show was building momentum and now production is stopped and within in a few weeks we will be out of episodes to air and then the show will probably be taken off. I'm not sure which would be worse, if the show is taken off and whatever they replace it with (a reality show I figure) does better than BBT, or, they take it off and it comes back but never gets some of the audience back ... the show looks doomed by this strike :( I'm sure the writers deserve more money for downloads and such, but if they strike for too long, they won't get any money because the show will be taken off air! Does anybody know how many episodes are completed?

I think there are 8 full episodes completed, which means that next week's is the last...I think. :(

I think there are 8 full episodes completed, which means that next week's is the last...I think. :(

This is horrible. Don't they have more scripts written for until the end of the year? Why can't they just go ahead and make those shows? :icon_cry:

because I read that they edit the scripts even during taping in front of the live audience..So without writers there's no editing, with no editing, there's no show..I agree it sucks..I hope this is resolved ASAP!! I need my Sheldon fix! :(

Yes that's correct, the show is filmed in front of a live audience and so when a joke bombs or doesn't get enough laughs, writers change it there and then. The hillarity of jokes can't be known until its put before the audience. With no writers there at the taping, a lot of duds could come through :(

All is not completely lost, at least not yet.

News from ME, a blog by a longtime WGA member, has been answering a lot of reader questions about the strike. See here for a brief discussion of the possible impact of the strike on new shows like BBT:

http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2007_11_08.html#014328

In short, if the show was doing well before the strike, as BBT has been, there's a good chance it will come back after.

The key is to keep the pressure up on the networks and your local affiliates to both settle this dispute quickly and not cancel BBT in the meantime. Let CBS know how much we love BBT (there's an online feedback form at cbs.com), and that we want new episodes ASAP. Write your local CBS affiliate station and let them know you won't be watching any replacement programming CBS airs during the strike, and if they cancel BBT during the strike, you won't ever watch any CBS programming ever again. It sounds drastic, but as far as I'm concerned, BBT is worth it.

that's great news let's all hope that everything works out for our favorite tv star and for the Big Bang Theory tv show:)

Well I did my part, went to CBS and made a request they keep BBT on the air. I also went to one of the groups of fans of BBT on myspace and posted a comment asking all the fans there to post to CBS. I want this show to stay on the air. It's funny, it's fresh, and I laugh for days afterwards about certain lines of dialogue. Heck, "Look, it's raining you" has me still in stitches.. :icon_lol: If you know of any other places to post messages to help save BBT let me know. I've been telling all my friends about this show.

The problem for BBT is two fold. The first is whether CBS brings it back after the strike, at all. The second is will its entire audience stick with the show ? It needs almost all of the audience to return, or the ratings will not be good enough for it to stay anyway. Generally, new shows do not have as loyal an audience as more veteran shows. BBT was doing such a great job building an audience, and now the momentum is stopped. It was already picked up for the full season, was building towards a second season, and the strike is hurting it now. I certainly hope it returns, and does well, but it is no longer a certainty with a long strike on the horizon.

I'm a relatively recent viewer to this show. It took me a few weeks to get into it because I was trying out other new shows in the same time slot. When I finally decided this was the show for me, I had missed most of the first 2 episodes. So what it gets down to is, I would have no problem seeing repeats of TBBT, maybe even all of them again. And I'm sure there are others out there like me. I've just started telling family and friends about it, (too late, unfortunately!), but I'm sure they'd tune in if I badgered them enough. I've e-mailed CBS twice about TBBT--before the strike and after. Hopefully it'll stay on the air, but I'm sort of a jinx when it comes to TV--either the ones I pick get canned, or (who would have guessed)--a strike!