The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.01 - The Skank Reflex Analysis (Sept. 22)

Yeah, my one complaint is them keeping it a secret from the rest of the gang that they didnt have sex. I don't get it other than the fact they are going to touch on it one day. And they want it to be a surprise for Leonard when he finds out Penny and Raj never had sex.

Or i guess they could just answer that off screen and a passing comment will be made about it eventually.

Raj was funnier when he couldn't talk, I find him annoying now. The 2 episodes were quite good, I did think that the whole Raj/Penny situation was poorly handled though.

The show has ended for me, and I suspect for most of the original, core audience (the geekier among us) who honed in on the program from episode 1. I will always enjoy my seasons 1 - 3 DVDs, though. And the re-runs on WTBS are a great way to spend my evenings.

Goodbye, gang. It was awesome while it was awesome.

The show has ended for me, and I suspect for most of the original, core audience (the geekier among us) who honed in on the program from episode 1. I will always enjoy my seasons 1 - 3 DVDs, though. And the re-runs on WTBS are a great way to spend my evenings.

I have been with the show since the start and I still think its great. I also am a big nerd and I think the show is still very funny and better than any other sit-com out there.

Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread. It's 3 a.m. :p

--

Got back my laptop just today. Watched episode 1 so far. Not legendary but quite nice. Since I never had a huge issue with the Raj/Penny thing anyway, I'm just glad that's nicely out of the way.

Loved the paintball part, Sheldon sacrificing himself to the geologists to buck up his team's spirits was hilarious. 'Geology isn't even a real science!' Big Grin

Good to see Penny finally get one tiny acting gig.. sitting pretty!

It's become a run of the mill by the numbers sitcom. Sadly I have no interest in that. I loved TBBT because of how different and clever it was but now that's gone. The ratings seem good so expect more relationship drama and gutter humour and no more clever or original comedy.

Aww, I feel like singing Soft Kitty to all who are departing from this show and this board. It must be costing a lot if they were really fans at one time.. I know I would be heartbroken if BBT ever does something which hurts me as badly as that.

But maybe I just tend to look more at the good side of things and people I love, so the show would have to try very hard to get me to stop watching!

The reason the gang doesn't know the truth is because the guys would make fun of raj and Leonard or anyone else won't know the truth and I doubt it will be metioned again, as far the ones that will stop watching your not truth fans of TBBT and there's nothing that would make stop watching plus there's no such as a perfect show every episode

The reason the gang doesn't know the truth is because the guys would make fun of raj and Leonard or anyone else won't know the truth and I doubt it will be metioned again, as far the ones that will stop watching your not truth fans of TBBT and there's nothing that would make stop watching plus there's no such as a perfect show every episode

I'm not done with the show yet, but it's no longer my favorite one, I understand why some people may begin to lose interest, the writers have turned something special into another average sitcom, I don't want the series to keep drifting away from its roots, it should be about the 4 geeks and ''The Girl Next Door''.

Well i think it has to be mentioned again. I mean it will be a nice surprise for Leonard when he finds out. He won't need to find out that truth to love Penny. But once they get back together i can see Penny and or Raj telling him the truth.

ive pretty much lost interest in the show as well. i still watch it because i feel such a connection to the characters and i want to see how they go in life. but its no longer my favourite show. im pretty much hooked into how i met your mother and modern family :)

I will give it until probably that amazingly attractive comic book geek girl has an aaffair with Leonard, which means, he has had 5 beautiful women in 2 yrs...sorry SOME stereotypes about nerds and geeks are true and THAT would never happen to any of us

:icon_eek: Uh oh, this role has love interest for Leonard written all over it ...

Courtney Ford (Dexter, True Blood) is set to guest star on The Big Bang Theory in a potentially recurring role, reports TVLine.com. The actress will play Alice, a cute artsy girl who is, much like the guys, a comic book aficionado. She will run into the gang at Stuart's comic book store. Ford will reportedly appear in the October 27th episode of the show.

I don't think they've yet introduced a girl who wasn't a potential love interest for somebody.

I hate pouters and people looking for sympathy. If you leave the show. Fine. Go! You won't be missed because of the way you are going out. I love this show and like Parsons said "I will be with it til the bitter end." Yeah, shows have a down point but I have yet to see that. *sigh*

BTW, loved the season premieres. :)

^ kinda agree with the sentiment Shel_Ra .

The show has ended for me, and I suspect for most of the original, core audience (the geekier among us) who honed in on the program from episode 1.

^ sorry, but this is a very very ambiguous statement. You suspect wrong. /epic fail

That's right. Blanket assumptions and judgmental statements are not welcome. I'm prepared to hear that you aren't liking the show any more, and want to leave, I may even sympathize. I'm also okay with discussing the reasons why. But 'the original core geeky people are all leaving' (implying that those of us still watching are not geeky enough) or 'some will go on liking this show about dishonorable people' (implying that those who continue to like it are somehow dishonorable themselves) are unnecessary assumptions and rather insulting.

Hang in there for another 4 episodes Dr.

Patience is a virtue

After that, if it still stinks there is always Modern Family and Community

I don't think they've yet introduced a girl who wasn't a potential love interest for somebody.

and that's mysogynistic.

I know Lorre is chauvinist, I mean look at his writing background

but c'mon, a nice comic book geek girl who becomes a FRIEND to the guys...be nice wouldn't it?

never happen with this crew, they are catering to the drama queen society. Those women who love to see "will they or won't they?" (Hint they ALWAYS do!!)

Hate to say those type of women are a little daft or have a lot lacking in the life accomplishment dept, but seems thye fall for the same garbage time and time again...and now thye have taken my wonderful series and made it cliche humor.

I don't think new female characters being potential love interests has anything to do with mysogyny, it's just natural given that the show is composed of one or more 'single and looking' male characters. So any single eligible girl would obviously have such 'potential'. Just as almost all new or occasional male characters are potential love interests of one of the girls, like Zack or Stuart or David Underhill or the professor who was Bernadette's ex. Kripke and Wheaton are exceptions, but that's because their only importance is as Sheldon's enemies.

Note that Penny, while always a target of Leonard's silent attraction, spent two whole seasons being only friends with all the guys. And Amy, till now, is just a friend.. certainly not an accepted 'girlfriend' of Sheldon by any stretch. So it certainly can't be alleged that this show brings in female characters and immediately puts them into romantic relationships.

Hate to say those type of women are a little daft or have a lot lacking in the life accomplishment dept, but seems thye fall for the same garbage time and time again...and now thye have taken my wonderful series and made it cliche humor.

I'm confused here, which women, do you mean the female viewers (i.e. us) or the writers (from when did they become women)?

Lots of name-calling going on around here nowadays.

The show has ended for me, and I suspect for most of the original, core audience (the geekier among us) who honed in on the program from episode 1.

^ sorry, but this is a very very ambiguous statement. You suspect wrong. /epic fail

That's right. Blanket assumptions and judgmental statements are not welcome. I'm prepared to hear that you aren't liking the show any more, and want to leave, I may even sympathize. I'm also okay with discussing the reasons why. But 'the original core geeky people are all leaving' (implying that those of us still watching are not geeky enough) or 'some will go on liking this show about dishonorable people' (implying that those who continue to like it are somehow dishonorable themselves) are unnecessary assumptions and rather insulting.

I agree with both above 2 responses to the first quoted post, as I felt "everyone" here was called out.

Please don't assume anything FOR me, if I don't write about how I feel about the show here myself! Capiche?

If you want to stop watching the show, that is your own decision, but leave out the generalization next time, cause you don't speak for me.

Good observation there Pomita as that is how I read it as well!

I also thought "how on earth are they going to make this work", but i think the writers did a great job in bringing it back to the start. you can't go back in one episode, but i think they are on the good path back to the beginning.

On the topic of the Raj/Penny aspect, I just felt that it was handled rather decently, even if not in the best way possible. I was a little afraid that things might slip too much into drama-and-angst territory in the premiere, which I wouldn't have liked, but they treated it with a much-needed touch of lightness which kept it in the region of the show's trademark comedy - which is that the guys never take each other too seriously.

Their forgetting their differences to come together after Sheldon's 'sacrifice' was a nice touch, which reassured us that they still have their geeky priorities intact, at heart.

I watched the season opener in horror. Penny was so drunk that she jumped into Leonard's bed with Raj, something she would never have done sober, but she is sober enough to request he use a condom, and to help him put it on. Which is it, hopelessly drunk or responsibly sober? Of course in true trash TV fashion she doesn't remember any of it because being drunk sponges your memory away. There is no woman anywhere who doesn't know if she had sex the night before. There are physical symptoms. Penny would not need Raj to tell her. Oh, and Raj, he remembers it all. He was obviously sober enough to know what he was doing. Did it with Penny after she confessed to him that she should not have dumped Leonard. What a slime that makes him. How do they have Penny deal with having done the sluttiest deed of her life while drunk? Why, they have her searching her apartment for something to drink wine out of. So, is she an alcoholic as well as a tramp? Most people, feeling horrified at shaming themselves while drunk, would be considering the wagon, or at least laying off the sauce for a few days. Come on? I just felt sad. This was my favorite retreat from the world. A great comedy, and I felt sad watching it. Putting Penny and Raj in bed together was a despicable thing to do. The so called solution is no better. So they didn't actually have intercourse. Ah yes, I picture me giving my wife that excuse. They made Raj a skunk of a friend and Penny a drunken slut. This would have worked well on As the World Turns. It has no place on a half hour comedy. They would have been better off nullifying the whole thing with a cheap, it was a dream, sequence. At least the characters could have moved on from that. As it is leaves a permanent stink.

• Like 2

yeah i was just pondering the samething

raj was sober enough to know what has actually happened, so he went with it

penny wasn't drunk enough to ask for protection and on top of that, to help him put it on

I think they just wanted it over and done with. As I mentioned before lots of things didn't make sense. On top of the whole drunk enough to forget but sober enough to be sensible, why would Penny not want to tell everyone? It solves her problems, Howard being more angry at Raj's poetry than Leonard is about him sleeping with the love of his life.

I think they just realised it was a huge mistake and they wanted to get rid of it as quick as they could. It wouldn't surprise me if it's never mentioned again.