The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.01 - The Skank Reflex Analysis (Sept. 22)

I think they just wanted it over and done with. As I mentioned before lots of things didn't make sense. On top of the whole drunk enough to forget but sober enough to be sensible, why would Penny not want to tell everyone? It solves her problems, Howard being more angry at Raj's poetry than Leonard is about him sleeping with the love of his life.

I think they just realised it was a huge mistake and they wanted to get rid of it as quick as they could. It wouldn't surprise me if it's never mentioned again.

Yeah that was my impression as well. It appears that the whole thing was orchestrated by Chuck Lorre. Looks as if nobody else was really comfortable with it and this is their rather lame way of burying it forever. Its sad that it leaves a taint on the characters we all love. Especially sad for Penny. They have treated her sexual reputation rather cavalierly in the past but this thing just buries it. They have spelled out plainly that Penny is an, "anybody's for the price of a bottle of wine."

• Like 1

I know I've said in the past that taking away Raj's mutism would ruin the magic of his character.

However, I hope he's not going to spend the entire season walking around carrying a beer bottle with him in every scene. Makes him look like an alcoholic :p

I reckon the Penny/Raj scene in Amy's apartment would have been funny with Howard there too, acting as the middle-man.

It seems like the writers and producers got a lot of negaitive feedback from the penny/raj scene so the y flip the script, I'm just guessing here but it does seem like that's what they did.

It seems like the writers and producers got a lot of negaitive feedback from the penny/raj scene so the y flip the script, I'm just guessing here but it does seem like that's what they did.

Yeah probably. Would have worked better if Raj told Penny that he fell asleep in the chair and when he woke and went to bed she was already there. He just climbed in with her. Nothing happened. There was that difficult?

I bet they had Penny go along with Raj's idea so that Leonard goes on thinking it happened and it causes friction between them. At the end of the season it will be revealed that Raj didn't actually lay pipe bringing great relief to Leonard and allowing he and Penny to get close again. Of course they would have to break up again the next season so that the show fits the usual tiresome TV formula.

Good points guys, if I may expand upon that great idea

Leonard finds that Sheldon (who has hidden cameras in since the Bozeman incident) says Penny walked into Leonards room smelling his pillows and languishing over his relationship with Prija (maybe a couple of drunk jokes at her) then passes out.

About 10 minutes later Raj stumbles in, undresses climbs into bed facing away from Penny, moves around a bit and just hugs her and mumbles somethign about Bernadette and his clarinet.

Raj gets in trouble with Penny for lying to her thinking it would make her want a relationship with him

Leonard goes to war with Sheldon over secretly videotaping him (and his amorous activities with Prijya)

Sheldon: Don't worry, for how little those events lasted it was easy to skip over them

For those wondering about Sheldon's "Geology isn't a real science!":

You may want to have a look at the (possible) explanation (given by a theoretical physicist as Sheldon :icon_cheesygrin: )available at http://www.quantumpie.com/the-big-bang-theory-sheldon-asks-is-geology-a-real-science/

We plan on having more posts in the future aiming at explaining some of the funny but sometimes obscure references in the show.

For those wondering about Sheldon's "Geology isn't a real science!":

You may want to have a look at the (possible) explanation (given by a theoretical physicist as Sheldon :icon_cheesygrin: )available at http://www.quantumpie.com/the-big-bang-theory-sheldon-asks-is-geology-a-real-science/

We plan on having more posts in the future aiming at explaining some of the funny but sometimes obscure references in the show.

Thanks. Unfortunately, by the criterion of experimental testability, even Sheldon's own field - string theory - falls short of the definition of a rigorous science at present, because the signatures of string theory are expected to show up at such high energy scales that they are simply unreachable by present experiments (or perhaps ever). One possible evidence could be magnetic monopoles, but even that is completely undetermined till now (one single experiment showed a tentative signature many years back but it could never be replicated so it's not considered evidence).

Good points guys, if I may expand upon that great idea

Leonard finds that Sheldon (who has hidden cameras in since the Bozeman incident) says Penny walked into Leonards room smelling his pillows and languishing over his relationship with Prija (maybe a couple of drunk jokes at her) then passes out.

About 10 minutes later Raj stumbles in, undresses climbs into bed facing away from Penny, moves around a bit and just hugs her and mumbles somethign about Bernadette and his clarinet.

Raj gets in trouble with Penny for lying to her thinking it would make her want a relationship with him

Leonard goes to war with Sheldon over secretly videotaping him (and his amorous activities with Prijya)

Sheldon: Don't worry, for how little those events lasted it was easy to skip over them

This would be a decent way to handle things. Now we just need to change your last name to Lorre and get you on the writing staff.

A few great lines in the show:

Penny (to Raj): "Whatcha doin' quick draw?"

Sheldon to Leonard:"Leonard...have you ever thought about teaching physics?"

This is my first post on this board. I'm a new TBBT fan, one of my friends told me to check it out.

The whole Penny/Raj thing is terrible. It just felt....wrong. I'm not going to stop watching the show, but this plot development, and it's resolution, seems like the writers just tossed darts at a Random Plot Development dart board.

One of the main reasons I like the show is because the characters aren't 1 dimensional. I'll use Penny as an example because this is obviously relevant to her.

They could've easily made her a dumb blonde stereotype, or just the cute girl next door. Instead they created a nicely layered character, who isn't a genius but who can hold her own against them due to her wit and/or "street smarts". Sometimes the smarter characters over look things that seem obvious to her.

One of the humorous facets of her character, was her supposed promiscuity. Sheldon has stated a few times how many guys he thinks she slept with, and/or how often she seems to have guys leaving her apartment.

With this Raj situation, the writers basically removed all subtlety concerning that. For no apparent reason. And the "fix" doesn't really make things better, because she would've done it if Raj hadn't prematurely ejaculated.

I will admit I'm not used to watching sitcoms, I'm more of a "Breaking Bad" man myself. So while some can say "eh, it's not meant to be taken seriously"....well, the writers are choosing to go into Serious Territory when they write these types of scenarios. I realize the show isn't like "real life" but a guy sleeping with (or trying to sleep with) his close friend's ex-girl friend, and her drunkenly going along with it....

Eh, I'm rambling. I just don't see how they can resolve this without it being ridiculously far-fetched, even by sitcom standards. Which is kinda sad because I was just becoming a fan of the show.

One of the humorous facets of her character, was her supposed promiscuity. Sheldon has stated a few times how many guys he thinks she slept with, and/or how often she seems to have guys leaving her apartment.

Just thought I'd point out that Sheldon got this wrong. The math doesn't work out. I think they didn't include the 4 years prior to meeting Penny when she was with Kurt in what I would suppose would be a monogamous relationship.

@hex: welcome to the site. You've made some very good observations regarding Penny in your post.

@4ofN: I can't recall if Sheldon deducts the time with Kurt during that episode. Gonna have a look at the wiki and rewatch the episode.

And yeah, you'd hope Kurt was Penny's only love during this time. I think he was given the way she reacts when she's around him or talking about him.

@hex: welcome to the site. You've made some very good observations regarding Penny in your post.

@4ofN: I can't recall if Sheldon deducts the time with Kurt during that episode. Gonna have a look at the wiki and rewatch the episode.

And yeah, you'd hope Kurt was Penny's only love during this time. I think he was given the way she reacts when she's around him or talking about him.

Well we can hope. Given the turn of events in 4x24, she would only have been monogamous if she never got drunk while alone with any random man. Of course there were other times they used alcohol to get Penny's knickers off, though not as notorious as in 4x24. In 1x1 she intimated that Kurt cheated on her and that is why they parted company.

Finally seen this episode

Sheldon is very good at attempting to solve situations what are uncomfortable within the group, i know he is meant to be socially unaware of problems but this shows he knows when to attempt to solve things and not for the 1st time either

Sheldon is very good at attempting to solve situations what are uncomfortable within the group, i know he is meant to be socially unaware of problems but this shows he knows when to attempt to solve things and not for the 1st time either

His inspirational paintball sacrifice was certainly a stroke of genius on Sheldon's part, though I don't know how thought-out it was. But it certainly pulled together and united his bickering group of friends, for a while, by making them 'fight together for a cause'.

Yeah and im sure that the others didnt really realise what he was doing till he shouted that "Geology isnt a real science"

Following it up with a collapse a la Platoon. Epic scene!

This looks good, Raj and Penny talking (Raj sober? I hope) Even Penny and Leonard smiling together. We just need to see how it pans out

Looking forward to this :)

I remember Bernadette telling Raj he has a chance: "Of course you do! You're a cutie!" and I got to thinking - he'd be the ideal mate for any wolman I've ever met. He adores her, he'd do anything in his power that she asks, and the only communicating he can do is answer yes/no questions!

What woman wouldn't go gaga for a guy like that. And he's from the country where they wrote the Kama Sutra. (wink, wink, nudge nudge)