So who is TBBT about? Leonard or Sheldon

4ofN

So, I have a question. Is TBBT about Leonard or Sheldon? This isn't a question of who you like better or who has more screen time, it is a question about the premise of the show.

Is the show about a quirky but brilliant physicist (Sheldon),

- who has to deal with a roommate who is only a normally smart physicist, and

- who has to deal with his roommates obsession with the cute girl next door, and

- who has to deal with his roommates nerdy and slightly peculiar friends?

or

Is the show about a normally smart physicist (Leonard),

- who has to deal with a roommate who is a quirky but brilliant physicist, and

- who has to deal with his obsession with the cute girl next door, and

- who has to deal with his nerdy and slightly peculiar friends?

The reason I ask is that, to me, Leonard always seemed to be the main character in the show. However, it seems that a lot of people think it is mainly a show about Sheldon. I understand Jim always being the one getting the accolades as Sheldon's quirky nature must require more acting skills, but that shouldn't mean that Sheldon is more of the focus.

It even seems they make fun of this in The Toast Derivation, where they point out that Leonard is the focus.

So, what do people think?

(P.S. I think it would be too much of a stretch to say this is a show about a girl from Nebraska who comes to the big city to be an actress and ends up living next to a couple of smart guys - so I think Penny is out on this one)

Season 1 and 2 were about Leonard, Season 3 and 4 are about Sheldon. THe attention shifts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the show itself proves otherwise

Well the producers must not like that the show revolved around Sheldon and his character and Jim parson gets the acclaim

The most interesting or most popular character needn't be the one around whom the basic story of the show revolves. This show has been from Leonard's 'viewpoint' throughout; he's the one who sees and experiences the wacky things that Sheldon does, as well as handling the other situations in his life.

In fact, I feel that it's only from Season 4 that Sheldon is somehow a bit more humanized, with a personal storyline to himself, after the addition of Amy; till before that, his character was clearly in it only for the laughs. It's a wonderfully well-written and well-acted role, and hence drew so much love and attention; but he was still the object, not the subject.

Well the producers and you guys must not like the idea that the show has revolved around Sheldon, without him the Sheldon would be about a bunch of geeks if the show would be on if anything the producers should be prasing Sheldon for making TBBT, plus anyone can play the role of Leonard not just any one can play the role of Sheldon

If the show is through anyones eyes or viewpoint it would be through penny's

@threelions what do you mean Leonard is or was the straight man are implying that's he's a gay character now

Lol I don't know if your joking or not. The Straight Man is a term that refers to a character in a show, film or comedy act that's the most normal or down to earth character. He feeds or sets up the situation or lines for the more wacky, zany characters. In this case when the show started Leonard was the straight man to Sheldons wacky character.

The show is about Leonard and Penny. It has been since the first episode. It is the continual growth of their relationship, in spite of their differences, that makes up the underlying plot line. Whether they wind up with each other or not, some resolution must come that is based on their feelings for each other. They both must learn something about themselves because of the journey. This is the best thing about the writing of this show. In spite of my spoken disappointment with the direction taken with some characters and with the lack of continuity, the writers have continued to carry me along because of the hope inherent in the dance with destiny of Leonard and Penny. It strikes a cord with my soul.

• 3 weeks later...

well sheldon is NOW.

and have U noticed how there are 3 ROSANNE stars on this one show?

leonard has no special talent, hes just a boring smart guy who never smiles.

very depressing imo.

in several of the shows i have heard leonards voice very nasally like he was TRYING to do it on purpose and in others he seems to have dropped that annoying habit.

im glad he dropped it.