The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Episode 1.09 The Cooper-Hofstadter Polarization

The show had 9.11 million viewers, 3.7/11 in the adults 18-49 demo, with 5.5/9 over all rating. This compares to the shows last episode (1.08 The Grasshopper Experiment) which was seen by 9.32 million viewers with a 3.8/8 A18-49 rating and a 5.8/8 over all rating. So while viewer numbers fell, the share actually rose, so more of the TV viewing public were watching the Big Bang Theory than before. The reasons for the fall in viewership are largely unrelated the show. Daylight savings time means less people are watching TV at night, opting to take advantage of the extra light outside, the new timeslot of 8PM always has fewer viewers than other slots, Dancing with The Stars was on at the same time - a powerful show, and of course any damage the writers strike might have inflicted. CBS had this to say of last night's ratings: THE BIG BANG THEORY returned with first run episodes, finishing second in households (5.5/09), viewers (9.11m), adults 25-54 (4.3/11) and adults 18-49 (3.7/11). Compared to the program's live plus same day first-run delivery this season, BIG BANG THEORY was up +2% in adults 25-54 (from 4.2/09), +6% in adults 18-49 (from 3.5/09), added +320,000 viewers (from 8.79m +4%).

Kerryl64: I went to see them film this episode, but since I haven't seen the final version I have a question for you. When Sheldon and Penny are walking up the stairs together Sheldon says one of two lines, and I'm wondering if you remember which one they decided on?

Was it:

A

little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding!

or

A

little misunderstanding? Misreading my grandmothers living will was a little misunderstanding!

Personally, I hope they chose the Galileo one. Both made me laugh, but the first one just seems like a joke only this show could get away with. Anyway, do you happen to remember?

I agree with you; the Galileo line was very funny (and I think funnier than the alternative)! By the way, Sheldon was wearing that green T-shirt again with the interesting graphic. Any chance of anyone knowing or finding out what it means?

I'm glad to see the show is holding its own. It's at a bit of a disadvantage changing time slots, and, of course, lost some traction because its been off for so long. It's almost like starting from scratch. Anyway, I have confidence in its future success. My other comment is a bit OT--I had to chuckle when I read that DST affects viewership because people spend the extra hour outside. I envy all those folks who are able to do that--here in the great northeast, the weather is usually so crappy in March (the mud month), that nothing much worthwhile can be done outside until mid April! Daylight Savings Time is a joke.

Liked the episode, but if anyone can, I didn't understand what Wolowtz said or meant you know, that part where he snapped his finger. Didn't get that? Would much appreciate it if someone enlightened me.:icon_confused:

i watched this episode this morning, before going to work, and for the first time I noticed how the chinese in the end were dressed up as sheldon and leonard.

-This is what i like about the show: there are so much underlying jokes in it, that you have to watch the show multiple times to get them all.

Exactly! I love watching previous episodes, even though I've seen them any number of times, because I always spot something new, some little visual joke. I've been trying to note some of the decorations in the apartment and put entries in the wiki for them. The cool sign in the kitchen, for example, is an advertisement from the 1930s for a Flemish beer:

http://wiki.the-big-bang-theory.com/wiki/Petre_Devos

The characters in Cooper-Hofstadter are actually called "Chinese Sheldon" and Chinese Leonard"! Check out the guest cast list on the wiki page, which comes directly from CBS's press release about the episode:

http://wiki.the-big-bang-theory.com/wiki/0109

Steve

The Wiki

The reference to the movie scanners had me rolling on the floor. Especially when Penny tried to make Howards head blow up.

Although it did require some explanation to my wife who had never seen it. When I finally got it and watched it with her she lasted until the first mind battle scene and then that was it.

Great B movie but not for the squeamish. :icon_eek:

Oh by the way another David Cronenberg film worth checking out is videodrome, Kinda dated but well worth checking out!

I couldn't stop laughing while Sheldon and Leonard rolled around the floor while scrapping! And the Scanners reference - brilliant! Great movie too..!

Did you also notice that at the end when Penny wanted to know why Howard said Penny was his gf on fb she did the head exploding thing that Sheldon does and Sheldons face was a picture :)

Did you also notice that at the end when Penny wanted to know why Howard said Penny was his gf on fb she did the head exploding thing that Sheldon does and Sheldons face was a picture :)

Absolutely..! :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

In The Cooper-Hofstadter Polarization episode

Is it computer hacking? :lol:   I wouldn't let anyone command my computer from afar to turn my lights on and off! :o

Kerryl64: I went to see them film this episode, but since I haven't seen the final version I have a question for you. When Sheldon and Penny are walking up the stairs together Sheldon says one of two lines, and I'm wondering if you remember which one they decided on?

Was it:

A

little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding!

or

A

little misunderstanding? Misreading my grandmothers living will was a little misunderstanding!

Personally, I hope they chose the Galileo one. Both made me laugh, but the first one just seems like a joke only this show could get away with. Anyway, do you happen to remember?

I'm sure it was Galileo! :)

After a long time I`ll give my feedback to that episode which was fun.

The beginning was so cool. I loved Howards quote here:

Gentlemen, I am now about to send a signal from this laptop through our local ISP, racing down fibre-optic cable at the speed of light to San Francisco, bouncing off a satellite in geosynchronous orbit to Lisbon, Portugal, where the data packets will be handed off to submerged transatlantic cables terminating in Halifax, Nova-Scotia, and transferred across the continent via microwave relays back to our ISP and the X10 receiver attached to this (clicks mouse, lamp switches on) lamp. quote end.

The funny thing was that he said it so fast *LOL*

And then the dance of course *haha*

That one here was funny too:

Howard: I don’t know, Sheldon, those topical conferences on Bowes-Einstein condensates parties are legendary.

Leonard: Forget the parties.

Howard: Forget the parties? What a nerd.  *LOL*

And then of couse Sheldon how he tried to blow up Leonards mind *LOL* He knows it doesn`t work *LOL*

I also laughed when Howard took a picture of Penny while she was sleeping on his shoulder *LOL*

And I loved the featured video at the end *LOL*

Did anyone else notice that, as Sheldon and Penny were climbing the stairs, they quoted part of the scene from The Voyage Home, where Spock is being trained by the computer?