The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
4ofN

**** TAPING REPORT SPOILER **** Raj/Penny – good news or bad?

Yea, if aliens wnated to take over the earth, they'd only have to give women telepathic power so they know what we werethinking. They would then proceed to kill us.

and SlickNick I think it may be a generation gap here or maybe life philosophy but

1) Drunk never excuses ANY action. One puts themselves in predicaments due to their own (in)action. She chose to drink, she did not become a zombie, thus she acted on her impulses, thereby negating the statement of "I made a mistake and should have never broke up with Leonard"

2) Single and sleeping with another man or an ex...fine. Moment of weakness, guilty feelings, maybe. But a close friend of your ex? Who you stated you were not over moments before? Shows lack of empathy and class.

3) If I didn't mean to run over a hobo but it happened I'd still be in trouble. If you kill someone by shooting a gun because of carelessness despite no intent to do so, you'd still go to jail for manslaughter.

Too many people blame other things or life for their inactions, and its out of character for enlightened characters on this show...even Penny. She was supposed to see the error of her "do i date jerks or make them jerks" mentality back in season 3. This episode alone, shows her character developed nada

I would never trust a friend like Raj, he tried to steal Bernadette from Howard, I thought he was supposed to be his best friend. Being lonely is no excuse.

Tbh, now I think about it, Season 4 was quite bad, I just couldn't re-watch the episodes over and over again like I did during the first 3 seasons, I think that the only character that didn't let me down last season was Howard. Hopefully, season 5 will bring the show back to its roots, I know that I'll keep watching the show, but it might no longer be my favorite one :(

To quote Jerry from the Seinfeld show, when he was asked when has sex taken place, he responded "when a nipple makes it's first appearance". While that may be a little exaggerated, IMO not by much. Through the seasons they really have turned Penny into a bimbo, and it's a shame because I really liked her character at the beginning. Some people don't want to admit that she would have had intercourse with Raj, who is a close friend with her ex, Leonard, who BTW is also suppose to be her friend, in his bed no less, this after admitting out loud that she loved him, and the only thing preventing that full act from occurring was that Raj had P.E. event,and had to settle for a short happy ending. You can make excuses for her many flings, she was young, single, sowing her wild oats etc., but this act was unforgiving. About Raj, there's little more I can say that already hasn't been posted, he's filthy garbage. The actor himself stated that this was his favorite scene from all five seasons of the show, so he's an idiot in real life too. Bad job on the part of the executives and writers of the show.

+1 Nicksap

I have read all four season 5 taping reports so far (thanks ennaxor!) and there is nothing there that makes me want to watch again. I have heard people hating on Chuck Lorre in the past about different shows he has done (not just 2-1/2) and wondered if the guy could really be that bad. Now I know.

I keep thinking back to Bill Prady's comment at comic-con "Whichever side the fans were on what happened, they'll be happy with how it resolves."

He seems to think that the people who have a problem with the whole thing, would have a problem with actual intercourse, but would have no problem at all - be "happy" even - with Penny and Raj fully intending to have intercourse, getting naked, getting into bed, getting all ready to do the deed, but at the very last second, 3... 2... 1... g... - oh, no - "technical difficulties".

Oh golly. I feel much better now. NOT.

Bill "I'm a moron" Prady also apparently said that they will concentrate more on the nerdy aspect of the show and less on the romance. The way it's shaping up, it seems to me that they are removing any possible "good romance" (the kind I actually like) and are going to cover the entire show in a thick layer of slimy "bad romance" sludge that you just can't clean off. I've tried. I've washed over and over, but it just won't come off. And when I think it's all clean, I'll look and it's everywhere again. I keep washing and washing, but I can still see it everywhere. I look down at my keyboard and there it is again. My hands are raw. IT JUST WON'T COME OFF! ARRRGGGG.

The point is.......They didnt have sex. Most people are happy about that. Also...if they were not drunk they would not have got to that point anyway. The point is she didnt have sex with him.

No Sex is No Sex.

You guys are seeing something that didnt happen. It's like you are making up reasons for not liking the show anymore. Makes no sense to me. They didnt have sex.

So....... :p

@Slicknickshady - Are you saying that, in your mind, there would have been a qualitative difference in the implications about Raj and Penny's characters if Raj had just managed to get the tip in? One second before - out = OK. One second after - in = not OK?

I'm not asking if they did or didn't have sex. This is purely about how this may or may not have changed how you feel about the characters.

In my mind (and at least a few others here) just the decision to have sex with each other was the point where the douchbaggery was applied with a wide brush.

There are people who wouldn't mind if Raj and Penny hooked up (my daughters for instance - oh where oh where did I go wrong? :icon_confused:). I can understand this - I don't agree - but I can understand that this sort of thing isn't important to some people. But I really don't get how Raj and Penny's "almost" intercourse is supposed to be somehow more acceptable than if they actually did have intercourse.

I have explained it before.

It's the difference between Penny having only been with one of the guys in the gang and two of the guys in the gang.

So the intent bothers me...but it doesnt taint Penny's character as much as it would had they gone through with it.

Of course Penny needs to redeem herself a little too me but not as much as she would have if she did have sex with him. I would be in your boat there. It would be hard for me for L/P to not be tainted.

But for me...the intercourse is the thing that takes it from...lack in judgment to gigantic mistake.

It might be a generation thing like some of you said. Some of you misunderstand me. I don't like at all that they almost did. It disgusts me. But i could say there was a higher power that stopped them from doing it because God knows it would affect L/P if they did it. I don't believe that at all...but my point is...it's a slippery slope. Idk.

I guess my point is...the fact they didnt have sex just means they are still at the point where Penny has not developed as a character instead of destroying her as a character. So she still needs to develop...but her development didnt get crushed like it would have if it was intercourse.

Trust me...A lot of reviewers will think it is a major cop out that they didnt have sex. Sadly it seems reviewers want it to be true that they did.

I'm not one of those.

It is interesting to see where different people draw the line. People, I think, often presume that other people think the same way they do. You consider that Penny has now only been with one of the guys in the gang. To me Penny has now been with 2 of the guys. Definitely a different outlook on this point.

Oh well, if we were all the same this would be a pretty boring planet.

I'm going to watch the season 5 opener, but I know how I react to other shows with this kind of plot line and I don't hold out much hope. Enjoy the show. I can't imagine that I'll get past this.

Sorry but there is no middle ground. it will be Canon that she has only been with one of the guys. You can obviously think what you want but it doesnt make it true. It will be Canon that she has been with only one of the guy's.

Boy oh boy. Today I really wanted a banana split. But, I'm on a diet and my diet doesn't allow them, so I couldn't have one.

So instead, I took a bowl, put in a sliced banana, added 3 scoops of ice cream, chocolate sauce, some ground nuts, and some whipped cream and ate that. BUT, I didn't put a cherry on top. So technically it wasn't a banana split. How could it be? There was no cherry.

Good thing I didn't break my diet.

Intent to have sex is the same as having it.

If one were in a relationship and your significant other did the same, most would feel that way.

I was HOPING for Raj to be his sweet submissive self and say "You passed out stripping your clothes asking for Leonard and collapsed on his bed, I was lonely and needed a hug so I crawled in...look I had mypants on"

That type oif thing

Here, I really don't mind if they just do away with the Leonard and Penny angle and have them do other things where they never end up together, but become decent friends, and Penny becomes Sheldon's best friend. That would make more sense, at this point

@4ofN: Well, it's not sex. When people say sex they usually mean sexual intercourse. What you're talking about could be considered more as foreplay.

Which if you are of the same thought as me and 4ofN is just as bad. Foreplay, sexual touching, making out, sexual activity it doesn't matter. The same problem remains it doesn't make sense for Leonard to stay friends with either of them hence it ruins the whole thing for me.

I will watch to see if it comes off better on video than it does in writing but I just can't see myself being able to enjoy it anymore. They crossed a line they shouldnt have just for shock value and nothing in the write up changes that for me so far. Passing Penny around the main guys this way just destroys it for me.

All power to those who can still enjoy it, I'm jealous as I loved the series even with some of the strange directions and inconsistencies they used in season four but this one is too much for me.

Sorry but there is no middle ground. it will be Canon that she has only been with one of the guys. You can obviously think what you want but it doesnt make it true. It will be Canon that she has been with only one of the guy's.

It will be canon that she had sexual contact with two of them. Well so far.

It is not sex. Like it or not. It's canon they didnt have sex. Penny has not been with anybody in the gang but Leonard.

It's not even clear if she even touched Raj penis at all. She could have helped by just taking the condom out of the package.

So it's canon she has not been with more than Leonard in the gang.

It is not sex. Like it or not. It's canon they didnt have sex. Penny has not been with anybody in the gang but Leonard.

It's not even clear if she even touched Raj penis at all. She could have helped by just taking the condom out of the package.

I think we are past the sex vs. intercourse terminology thing. We can all agree that they didn't have intercourse. But come on, even you have to admit - or "accept as canon" - that getting naked and getting into bed with someone has got to be classified somewhere within "foreplay, sexual touching, making out, or sexual activity".

Didn't you watched the 2 Sneak Peeks they released?

Even Raj admits that they didn't have sex. Not in the conventional sense!

:p

I mean, if anyone could say whether he actually had sex or not here, it's him, right? :p

Just saying! ^_^

Boy oh boy. Today I really wanted a banana split. But, I'm on a diet and my diet doesn't allow them, so I couldn't have one.

So instead, I took a bowl, put in a sliced banana, added 3 scoops of ice cream, chocolate sauce, some ground nuts, and some whipped cream and ate that. BUT, I didn't put a cherry on top. So technically it wasn't a banana split. How could it be? There was no cherry.

Good thing I didn't break my diet.

Yep...same thing. And there you have it.

If telling yourself that helps you continue enjoying the show go for it but I can't tell myself that two people get naked, get into bed and get as far as trying to put on a condom didn't have sexual contact. Lots of sexual things happen before you get to the point of putting on a condom for penetration. Besides the fact they both wanted to have sex is bad enough.

Oh, do you mean the episode of the Brady bunch when Carol had sex with Alices boyfriend Sam?