The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sherminator

Is there much nerd humour in season 4???

Hello!

I've been thinking of ordering the season 4 DVD set. But before I do, I want to ask you all an important question:

How much nerd humour, and nerd stuff, is there in season 4??

I love the earlier seasons because they are full of nerdiness, like comics, miniatures, collectibles, and science.

I have not seen season 4 at all, but when I read through the episode quide, it seems that the episodes are all about dating and romantic comedy. I mean most episodes seem to have nothing to do with being a nerd.

And that is why I asked you this question. Before I buy BBT4, I want to know wether BBT is still nerdy, or wether it has devolved into a generic, and bland, relationships comedy.

thank you for your feedback!

It still has the nerdy qualities, but it is more centered around Howard/Bernadette, Leonard/Priya/Penny etc.

Buy it though, it is actually a good season.

Let's see...

There's an episode that features Superhero cosplay.

World of Warcraft gets another mention when Sheldon's online account is hacked.

Katie Sackhoff makes a cameo in an episode, along with George Takei.

Sheldon becomes a robot.

The boys line up for a special screener of Indiana Jones.

There's an Apple app episode.

So there's 5 episodes of nerdy goodness.

The season on the whole isn't bad. But it is nothing like season 1 or 2.

Definitely worth a purchase, however imo.

There was less 'sciency' nerdiness in Season 4, though I really enjoyed Sheldon and Amy's physics/neurobiology interactions (the grand unified theory vs neurobiology argument, the brain-slicing, Amy's going around with electrodes in her pocket and making a capuchin monkey cry, things like that). Gaming and comic-book nerdiness is there, off and on, no less than in previous seasons, as in the episodes listed by netmouse.

Completely OT (since I don't know where else to put this) - the reason I haven't been around lately is that my laptop broke down a few days back, it's still gone for repair so I have very little online free time nowadays (I can check the net only during office hours). I might have to miss out on the season-starting excitement. :(

I hope to get it back next week.

There was less 'sciency' nerdiness in Season 4, though I really enjoyed Sheldon and Amy's physics/neurobiology interactions (the grand unified theory vs neurobiology argument, the brain-slicing, Amy's going around with electrodes in her pocket and making a capuchin monkey cry, things like that). Gaming and comic-book nerdiness is there, off and on, no less than in previous seasons, as in the episodes listed by netmouse.

The gossip experiment was fun.

thanks for the feedback. I suppose I will have to buy the show!

One extra question:

Is there bullying of the nerds in season 4?

I mean there was some nasty bullying in season 3, by will wheaton, which left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I mean I love sheldon and I wanted him to win that card game and the bowling tourney too...

-So, is there the same type bullying episodes in season 4, where sheldon is put down rudely?

This season has more bad episodes than good ones, but they have ones that go back to the roots and some that take a leap into rom-com w/o being too sappy

Hot Troll Deviation

21 second excitation

Boyfriend complexity (the screw analogy and last scene with AMy and Sheldon had me rolling)

Justice League

Bus Pants

and my fav

The Prestidigitation Approximation

are worth the purchase

thanks for the feedback. I suppose I will have to buy the show!

One extra question:

Is there bullying of the nerds in season 4?

I mean there was some nasty bullying in season 3, by will wheaton, which left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I mean I love sheldon and I wanted him to win that card game and the bowling tourney too...

-So, is there the same type bullying episodes in season 4, where sheldon is put down rudely?

Yes Bus pants where the gang fires him for being, well..HIM

and

21 second where Wheaton comes back, but maybe Sheldon doesn't lie down this time...hmmmm

Boyfriend complexity (the screw analogy and last scene with AMy and Sheldon had me rolling)

I think you mean Desperation Emanation?

My favourites were Justice League (plenty of superhero stuff), Herb Garden Germination (the gossip experiment, plus Brian Greene showed up), Agreement Dissection (good ensemble episode) and Toast Derivation (Sheldon and the others 'realizing' the value of each other's friendship was nice).

Re bullying, Justice League has some bullying of one nice dumb guy BY the nerds, for a change. Though they make good with him pretty soon. :)

@Pomita: wb /wave... still got a week til season starts, hope to see you back online by then.

@Sherminator: only the one specific episode I can think of, as mentioned, Wil Wheaton hassles Sheldon during a movie session.

Another episode featuring bullying, but not towards Sheldon, when the boys gang up on Zack briefly before befriending him. Although, Leonard does tell Sheldon he looks like a praying mantis.

Milk Duds, anyone ?? :D

@Sherminator: only the one specific episode I can think of, as mentioned, Wil Wheaton hassles Sheldon during a movie session.

Well, actually, Sheldon kinda scores a point against Wheaton in the end during that episode! Well, we don't really know if that big crowd catch up to our favorite nerds or not, really, but I'm kinda assuming they don't, and Sheldon scores! Still, 2-to-1 for Wheaton! :p

I think the Gag Reel alone made the DVD worth it! Penny trying and failing to do the Vulcan sign, or the crowd cheering when Leonard speaks of the Fourier's Law and the Shrödinger Equation: EPIC! Oups, and sorry, I guess those were ''gag reel'' spoilers! ^_^

@Irvine: You could tell that Kaley struggled with the Vulcan salute. I can't do it either. Damn my mantis-like phalanges !!! :D

The thumb, forefinger and middle finger are easy to keep together.

It's the ring finger and little finger that's the tricky bit. I can't get these two to stay together, but if you tilt them forward like Kaley does, yeah you can get the salute.

Again, not quite as good as Jim, or Spock for that matter.

phew!

I'm happy there is no real bullying in season 4!

-season 3 had some really nasty stuff bullying-wise, so I was really afreaid they would continue the trend here.

Vulcan salute is the ultimate nerd test. Those who can pull it off naturally, are born nerds. Personally I have always been able to do it without any consious effort. Am I nerd???:icon_eek:

I will not be purchasing season 4. Best forgotten, IMHO. I am hoping, HOPING, that season 5 will get back to what made seasons 1 and 2 so glorious - the focus on nerdly/science/geeky concepts and humor.

What is making this even worse for me was watching the first 6 episodes of season 1 on WTBS last night, and comparing those episodes with season 4 - and there is NO comparison between he two seasons. Season 1 absolutely owns season 4, not even a contest.

I can do the Vulcan salute quite easily, but my hubby simply can't. Which is funny because he's been a Star Trek fan right from childhood, while I never even saw Trek before BBT. :)

I will not be purchasing season 4. Best forgotten, IMHO. I am hoping, HOPING, that season 5 will get back to what made seasons 1 and 2 so glorious - the focus on nerdly/science/geeky concepts and humor.

What is making this even worse for me was watching the first 6 episodes of season 1 on WTBS last night, and comparing those episodes with season 4 - and there is NO comparison between he two seasons. Season 1 absolutely owns season 4, not even a contest.

They aren't going back to the early Intelligent humour. They've set out their intentions with season 4 and the first couple of episodes of season 5. They have changed to a mainstream formula and a low brow mainstream too. They are going to get very good numbers with it so they won't change, if anything you will have more relationship drama and gutter humour and less geek, science stuff.

Those of us unhappy with it have to put up with it or stop watching. I haven't decided which yet but I do know I only count 1 to 3 as the real TBBT. Now it's just another run of the mill sitcom no different to anything else.

I find it a little funny that all through season 3 and a little after, a group of people kept saying that seasons 1 and 2 were the only 'true' TBBT and season 3 was a complete let-down; and now that season 4 is over, it's become 'seasons 1 to 3 were the only true TBBT, season 4 was a lost cause'.

Is this just 'good old times' nostalgia? I mean during season 7 (if some of you keep watching till then), will it be 'seasons 1 to 6 were gold and season 7 is trash'?

Because as far as the type of humor goes, it seems to me that romantic vignettes and sexual innuendos have been a part of this show right from season 1. Remember that the basic premise to start with was not just showing the lifestyle and quirks of geeks, but how the geeks interact with the world out there and strive for success in romance. Dash it, the show started with a scene of a sperm bank!

Certainly there were many episodes in seasons 1 and 2 which focused on the nerdy passions of the guys, but so there were in seasons 3 and 4 - more science-related in season 3, and more gaming/comic-book related in season 4. Like Pirate Solution, Einstein Approximation, Gorilla Experiment, Precious Fragmentation in 3 and Justice League, Bus Pants, 21-Second Excitation, Zarnecki Incursion in 4.

It's true that the guys have more 'actual' relationships with women in seasons 3 and 4, as compared to the earlier 2 seasons, but that's a natural progression. Real-life geeks do get girlfriends and even get married at some point, so showing these characters to be romantically unsuccessful all their lives would be unrealistic.

Being a science geek myself, I do want to see more science-related storylines in season 5.

You can easily see the difference just by watching a season 1episode then watching one of the current episodes, it's night and day.

There was never a reliance on romantic drama, relationship humour yes but not lots of drama for the sake of it.

I wasn't here before so I can't comment on what others have said before. 1 and 2 are better than 3 but 3 still holds up pretty well. 4 is where Raj did 180 personality wise, Sheldon constantly contradicted his previous personality traitd and the humour went from intelligent to fart jokes. There's nothing wrong with sex jokes or toilet humour when it's done well and isn't relied on as the sole source of humour see early Howard. But when it's all there is something's gone wrong.

Relationships are fine but this isn't 90210 I don't tune in to see who kissed who.

I find it a little funny that all through season 3 and a little after, a group of people kept saying that seasons 1 and 2 were the only 'true' TBBT and season 3 was a complete let-down; and now that season 4 is over, it's become 'seasons 1 to 3 were the only true TBBT, season 4 was a lost cause'.

Is this just 'good old times' nostalgia? I mean during season 7 (if some of you keep watching till then), will it be 'seasons 1 to 6 were gold and season 7 is trash'?

There is a never ending saying in the railfan community that has been going for a hundred years: "It`s all crap now" . What was said by the mac/gevo people was said by Dash7/-2 people said by the Uboat/chopped nose people was said by high hood/cab unit people by the "modern" steam people by the classic steam people and on and on.

Something may be bad now but will be classic in time.

I could have used an Ultima Online reference but I doubt anyone would have caught on.

Or as they say on 4chan, it was never good.

I can do the Vulcan salute quite easily, but my hubby simply can't. Which is funny because he's been a Star Trek fan right from childhood, while I never even saw Trek before BBT. :)

^ the ultimate irony for your husband :D lolz

I liked season 3, but seasons one and two are still the best to date.