5.03 The Pulled Groin Extrapolation (Sept. 29)

Tripper

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you there, Pomita. That smile could melt an iceberg. (Sorry, trying to sound poetic, didn't come across as such...)

That's something that Jim and I have in common: our first job was in a bank. :D:D:D

Knew you would reply. :D And good for you!

Taking the opportunity here to say - you have a way with words, you give such wonderful descriptions on your blog. :)

But, creepy good.... yeah ??

hmm!

I remember when people bitched about too much Sheldon, now they change it up and still you bitch? I mean now they changed it up so its less Sheldon and people are still not happy. TBBT cant seem to win with some. *sigh*

Well I for one was NOT one of those people! Too much Sheldon? Impossible.

And Netmouse: we have Mo-vember here, usually to raise money for prostate cancer awareness. I LOLed when I read your comment about your ex-wife. :D By the way, my team is playing your team tomorrow night... think we'll still be friends afterwards? :icon_confused:

@BG: considering there are so many of your team LIVING over here now, it's hard to tell where Australia ends and NZ starts anymore :p lol

An old joke, but still a good one.... NZ used to be THREE islands until Ricky May moved to Australia. :D

@ShelRa: I think it was more that people were asking for a more "mature" Sheldon this season. Many feel that he has been portrayed as a bit of a child so far.

@ShelRa: I think it was more that people were asking for a more "mature" Sheldon this season. Many feel that he has been portrayed as a bit of a child so far.

Has he ever been particularly mature? :p Think season 1 - Luminous Fish, Bat Jar, Pancake Batter, season 2 - Euclid Alternative, White Asparagus, season 3 - Bozeman, Einstein Approx, Spaghetti Catalyst..

Looking back, he probably was relatively the most 'sane' in season 2.

I think the recent one (Russian Rocket) was a good Sheldon episode, it had enough of him but not too over-the-top.

Again, I'm going off-topic. :)

@BG: considering there are so many of your team LIVING over here now, it's hard to tell where Australia ends and NZ starts anymore :p lol

Well perhaps the Wallablacks will win the world cup then LOL

But back on topic, sort of, I think Pomita has put it rather well with Sheldon never having been particularly mature, but I do agree with what a lot of people say about him being portrayed as childish so far this season. That's childish in a not-so-good way, as opposed to his more child-like innocence of earlier seasons.

Has he ever been particularly mature? :p Think season 1 - Luminous Fish, Bat Jar, Pancake Batter, season 2 - Euclid Alternative, White Asparagus, season 3 - Bozeman, Einstein Approx, Spaghetti Catalyst..

Looking back, he probably was relatively the most 'sane' in season 2.

I think the recent one (Russian Rocket) was a good Sheldon episode, it had enough of him but not too over-the-top.

Again, I'm going off-topic. :)

Quite right. Sheldon has never been particularly mature, but his immaturity has always been displayed through a mask of adulthood. The model train episode kind of ripped the mask off and left a 5 year old behind. I found it uncomfortable to watch. The Sheldon in Russian Rocket was back to his old self. I like watching that Sheldon.

Sheldon's behavior with the model trains certainly seemed a bit childish in an over-the-top way, even for Sheldon. And then his violent reaction to Leonard also seemed uncharacteristic (again, even for Sheldon, who has had odd emotional reactions before). I have a theory regarding this - and I may be wrong, here I'm just trying to get into the writers' minds - that the whole thing was deliberately done, to lead up to the event of Sheldon possibly reacting out of romantic jealousy.

Think of it. Throughout the episode, he almost maniacally focused on his trains, completely ignoring what Amy, Leonard or anyone else were doing. He seemed least interested in Amy choosing to take Leonard instead of him - just the offhand 'you have to go to a wedding!' And he spent the night (apparently) happily playing away at his hobby. And then suddenly the dramatic (but still childish) response to Leonard in the morning.

We know that Sheldon can feel emotions, sometimes strong ones; we know that he's bad at processing them or expressing them in appropriate ways. Is it possible that he actually was feeling upset and left-out, all along, by Amy's 'rejection' of him in favor of Leonard as a wedding date - and that is why he deliberately behaved in a don't-carish way, seeming to be lost in his little hobby world? Maybe even unconsciously? And then when Leonard capped it by talking of his enjoyment with Amy (with the suspicious groin reference), that suppressed angst came out, as usual in an inappropriate way.

This may of course be a construct of my own vivid imagination, but I do think that the writers want to go somewhere with Sheldon's 'latent' feelings for Amy - and if so, this storyline struck me as a rather subtle demonstration of it. Like his 25 cats.

BG and wayel managed to say what I was trying to with regards to Sheldon's childish behaviour this season. Ty for that.. I couldn't get the wording right when I tried !!

But yeah, Pomita, you're correct with your analysis too.

The Team Wheatons seem to be focusing purely on season 5 and forgetting (or ignoring) what has happened 4 seasons prior.

Sheldon's behavior with the model trains certainly seemed a bit childish in an over-the-top way, even for Sheldon. And then his violent reaction to Leonard also seemed uncharacteristic (again, even for Sheldon, who has had odd emotional reactions before). I have a theory regarding this - and I may be wrong, here I'm just trying to get into the writers' minds - that the whole thing was deliberately done, to lead up to the event of Sheldon possibly reacting out of romantic jealousy.

Think of it. Throughout the episode, he almost maniacally focused on his trains, completely ignoring what Amy, Leonard or anyone else were doing. He seemed least interested in Amy choosing to take Leonard instead of him - just the offhand 'you have to go to a wedding!' And he spent the night (apparently) happily playing away at his hobby. And then suddenly the dramatic (but still childish) response to Leonard in the morning.

We know that Sheldon can feel emotions, sometimes strong ones; we know that he's bad at processing them or expressing them in appropriate ways. Is it possible that he actually was feeling upset and left-out, all along, by Amy's 'rejection' of him in favor of Leonard as a wedding date - and that is why he deliberately behaved in a don't-carish way, seeming to be lost in his little hobby world? Maybe even unconsciously? And then when Leonard capped it by talking of his enjoyment with Amy (with the suspicious groin reference), that suppressed angst came out, as usual in an inappropriate way.

This may of course be a construct of my own vivid imagination, but I do think that the writers want to go somewhere with Sheldon's 'latent' feelings for Amy - and if so, this storyline struck me as a rather subtle demonstration of it. Like his 25 cats.

OOOh Pomita I think you may have hit on something. I didn't see it that way at first viewing, but after your comment I re-watched. That is a very good possibility and brings up plot that would be very interesting. I hope it was done with that in mind. The trains were just cats in disguise. He, he I love it.

They still have to resolve Amy thinking she made Leonard fall in love with her as well. That got a bit glossed over. Not sure how they can pick that back up.

OOOh Pomita I think you may have hit on something. I didn't see it that way at first viewing, but after your comment I re-watched. That is a very good possibility and brings up plot that would be very interesting. I hope it was done with that in mind. The trains were just cats in disguise. He, he I love it.

They still have to resolve Amy thinking she made Leonard fall in love with her as well. That got a bit glossed over. Not sure how they can pick that back up.

Thanks. It's entirely possible that I'm over-thinking it, to make an interpretation which pleases me. :) But I'll be really happy if SOME offhand conversation between Sheldon and Amy in the future brings this up again, and we realize that Sheldon had actually felt hurt that day.

I have a feeling that the Leonard/Amy thing will probably never come up again! Just one of those things which was used for comedic value in one episode - BBT has a habit of doing that sometimes. But my hopes about Sheldon/Amy are somewhat higher.

Pomita, your hypothesis holds merit

YET

The train in the mouth...overboard, especially for a germaphobe...I think we can ALL agree on that.

But the being suckered in buying the set....playing with a very childish set instead of building an elaborate world as one of my favorite PBS shows used to do...the guys in the basement with the huge trains...and the karate chop

They could all be signs of his inability to realize romantic jealousy

I watched this ep again on my days off.

I think the overall "childish nature" of Sheldon for the duration of this episode stemmed from the comments between him and Amy regarding being the youngest scientist at the last function.

Hence, setting the "childish" tone for the remainder of the episode. ie: "ha ha you have to go to a wedding", "woo-woo, all aboard" and the train in the mouth.

All childish displays that I believe were on display for this particular episode (only??)

• 1 month later...

Sheldon is not a very convincing model train aficionado.

Right. The model train thing is absolutely unrealistic. A geek and train fan would know the good stuff. I am not into trains but I could instantly see those Bachmann trains are cheap plastic (I did never hear about that brand before, but I am from the Maerklin country). A little investigation into model train forums confirmed my suspicion: A model train fan would never buy that junk.

For sure... the train set Sheldon purchases is one of the most widely available commercial starter kits in the world. It retails for around $90 here in Australia.

My dad (a huge train-iac) /facepalmed when he saw this episode.

At least Sheldon got the different gauges right :)

• 8 months later...

Finally seen the episode, Amy thinking Leonard was in love with her was pretty funny and Sheldon telling leonard after karate chopping him "she is not for you" was good, just shows his feelings for Amy are very real

Not surprised that Bernadette does not want to live with Howards mother, she knows that she does everything for Howard!