The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.04 The Wiggly Finger Catalyst (Oct. 6)

"The Wiggly Finger Catalyst" - Raj finally meets a girl he can communicate with, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Oct. 6 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Katie LeClerc ("Switched at Birth") guest stars as Emily, Raj's new girlfriend.

Episode Guide | Wiki

Wow, really? I thought that was the 5th episode in which Raj meets that hottie he could finally be in a relationship with without being drunk?

Oh, well, I'm kinda glad it's the 4th one, thought! I'm seriously looking forward to that! :)

They're not wasting anytime pumping out the episode previews, are they ??

Exciting times, peeps... exciting times :D

^ Absolutely. And JP's Emmy win just about rings in the new season splendidly! :)

From the two previews I've seen, I'm really excited about this episode. Looks like classic big bang theory humor. So far this season is a HUGE improvement over season 4.

The writers have certainly hit the ground running with the start of season 5. 3/3 so far imo, hoping for 4/4 after this episode.

Well I guess its safe to assume that the actress playing Emily was not up for an ongoing part. What the hell was the point of all of this? Raj meets her and tries to be cool. Really? After boring us with the, where is my girlfriend spew. She, apparently, is the only deaf person in the US who can't read lips. She ignores or is unaware of (that's right she can't read lips) his boorish behavior. They hook up and roughly a month passes. She exits, stage left, because she is a gold-digger and he was losing his parent's money. Sigh. I so wanted to laugh. I don't like Raj, but hey, maybe his character would be less whiny, repulsive, and delusional if he had a girlfriend. Not going to happen I guess. I could have done without the stupid jealousy accusations made to Penny, who was trying to help him. It was like watching a bad soap opera. I'm really not interested in hearing him refer to their, "wonderful night," unless he is going to confess that he came to bed and Penny was already there sleeping and nothing happened and he lied about it. Couldn't they have gone with Raj being noble and choosing love over his family fortune and gets the girl in the end? I mean it's not funny but then again neither was anything in this episode. Emily might as well have been a blow up doll for all we learned about her character. Didn't even know enough to dislike her for being a gold-digger. Are they bringing her back? Has she got another part in some other show? Is she taking a sabbatical to study lip reading? What the hell was all this?

@wayelrob

A deaf person who cannot read lips is not unheard of. My father`s (deaf)friend mentioned that he had a lot of trouble reading people that English was not there first or primary language.

Dull, dull, dull.

Raj looks like a jerk.

Dull, dull, dull.

I had hopes but am about ready to give up on TBBT.

@wayelrob

A deaf person who cannot read lips is not unheard of. My father`s (deaf)friend mentioned that he had a lot of trouble reading people that English was not there first or primary language.

Yeah, the thing is, Raj is upper class Indian and English is his first language, as Howard pointed out to him at one point. He speaks with an accent, but the characteristics of his speech is not significantly different than the norm. She would have been able to read his lips. Deaf people in this country also learn to speak. I didn't bother to bring that up. Some don't speak as a matter of course, but they can. There are deaf people who don't read lips, I suppose, but they would be rare. In most, or all states, deaf children qualify for special education and learning to communicate with non-deaf people is primary. In truth, learning lip reading is a defensive reaction of deaf people even without formal education in the skill.

It started out ok I enjoyed Raj and Howard together on the date but it was all downhill from there. The Raj and Penny interactions are so false and forced. This makes them extremely uncomfortable to watch. It's only been a few episodes since she was describing him as creepy when silent and arrogant when drunk now they've made out, had foreplay, pretend sex and are suddenly best friends. Really bad writing.

Still irks me to see Leonard interact with Penny and Raj as if nothings happened.

So promising start only to fall flat on its face. Still that's an improvement from the other episodes.

I really hate what they've done o Raj he used to be one of my favourite characters now he's so unlikeable.

And yes the deaf girl might have well been a blow up doll with the amount of character they gave her.

I revisited this episode. I must say the only laughs I got from it were from Howard. He can still stick in a one liner that works. I have always loved Sheldon but the dice thing didn't work too well for me. It was a hell of a lot better than last episode's, "5 year old," train fixation though. I really wish they kept Emily and explored that for Raj. His attempt at being noble was the sole redeemable thing he has done since season 3. It might have been a path to remake his character as a decent human being instead of what they have turned him into. I guess we have to wait to see what Amy does about, "Leonard being in love with her?" I still have hope for my favorite TV show.

I liked the epsiode not very much but a little. Howard was great! He´s really good with the sign language. And I loved Sheldon with the dice :D very funny.

I´ve never been a huge fan of Raj but whatever. His parents are great! Love them!

It was an okay episode but not the best.

And I keep watching the show and not every episode is great but the writers know what they´re doing. But thats just my opinion.

There are deaf people who don't read lips, I suppose, but they would be rare. In most, or all states, deaf children qualify for special education and learning to communicate with non-deaf people is primary. In truth, learning lip reading is a defensive reaction of deaf people even without formal education in the skill.

Liek 1 in 1,000,000 rare. I know a couple of deaf people whose eyesight improved because their hearing was gone. One worked for the NFL to read lips from far away.

This was the stake in the heart. I will still watch because there is really nothing else to do Thur at 8pm, but I won't rush and I am no longer a fan in the pure sense of the word.

If I want low brow humor that goes for cheap laughs, i will watch Modern Family, because at least that show has heart as well

First and foremost... having a hearing impaired rehab ward here at the hospital I work in.. lip reading is NOT a pre requisite nor a requirement for a deaf person. Whilst many do in fact learn to lip read, there are a large number who don't for whatever reason.

Now, back to the episode..

I absolutely foamed my pants the second I saw that 8x8 D&D map board.... as a regular AD&D player, I was in d20 heaven !!

Loved the interaction between Howard and Raj. The Penny consoling Raj scene was a little flat, but otherwise, I loved it.

The writers have certainly got back to grass roots with regards to implementing more nerdy staples into the storylines... I just hope they maintain it throughout the season, and it's not just a knee-jerk reaction to the negative feedback from the sooky-la-las who couldn't handle season 4.

Curiosity question... is it legal for a deaf person to drive a motor vehicle in the US? Here in Aus. it isn't allowed due to the lack of auditory perception whilst behind the wheel.

Anyhoo... I'm enjoying season 5. Nerd juices salivating !! :p

ahhhh... spoken like a true fanboy !! lolz

First and foremost... having a hearing impaired rehab ward here at the hospital I work in.. lip reading is NOT a pre requisite nor a requirement for a deaf person. Whilst many do in fact learn to lip read, there are a large number who don't for whatever reason.

Now, back to the episode..

I absolutely foamed my pants the second I saw that 8x8 D&D map board.... as a regular AD&D player, I was in d20 heaven !!

Loved the interaction between Howard and Raj. The Penny consoling Raj scene was a little flat, but otherwise, I loved it.

The writers have certainly got back to grass roots with regards to implementing more nerdy staples into the storylines... I just hope they maintain it throughout the season, and it's not just a knee-jerk reaction to the negative feedback from the sooky-la-las who couldn't handle season 4.

Curiosity question... is it legal for a deaf person to drive a motor vehicle in the US? Here in Aus. it isn't allowed due to the lack of auditory perception whilst behind the wheel.

Anyhoo... I'm enjoying season 5. Nerd juices salivating !! :p

ahhhh... spoken like a true fanboy !! lolz

You are an optimistic one mouse. I am trying to maintain a positive episode by episode attitude. I thought the Howard/Sheldon interaction was the best thing in the show. Howard's behavior in the gym was classic. I loved his rapid translation of Emily telling them off.

Driving regulations are state by state in the USA. I am not aware of any state law forbidding deaf to drive in NJ or NY. Hell, they let you drive while stupid here so hearing impairment shouldn't be a problem.

Well I have to go half way with the others on this episode

I thought Raj was pretty much a jerk and the whole gold digger thing was a bit rushed. They could have spread that out over a couple episodes.

But there was plenty I enjoyed

Sheldon and the D&D dice- I laughed! Sheldon at the Cheesecake Factory "It frees my mind up to think about other things." Leonard "And what are you thinking about now?" Sheldon "Lemonade and Cheeseburgers"

also the with the information about Raj. Sheldon rolls the dice to see if he is going to tell the information "aww snake eyes, sorry" Penny "No. Doubles. Roll again."

and a few other... yes they are simple but I laughed

and Howard as the gym with his rushed signing and the girls response (or rather how he translated it)

"and something you...(pause).... oh now I now what she was saying"

@wayelrob: this is the way I look at it.... BBT has become my favourite tv show over the years. I relate to the characters, scenarios and humour of the show.

The forum took a battering from the haters at the end of season 4.

All of a sudden, the general feel of the site had this real negative undertone to it. A number of members signed onto the forum after this episode and it was like they were here to do nothing more than piss and moan about how horrible Raj and Penny were. And then, 4 months later, they've all logged off and gone.

Irvine ( a long time forum member) summed it up perfectly in his farewell to the forum thread a couple of weeks ago, imo.

By all means, have an opinion and feel free to voice it. I do. I have. And I will continue to.

I personally like to take a very relaxed attitude towards the show. It's a comedy. It's fiction. So, I treat it that way.

It still surprises me (seriously) that some members have let the season 4 finale get to them so badly.

There are a number of episodes in the series that I don't particularly rank as brilliant, but I just chalk it all up to some episodes are winners, some aren't. Fast forward to the one you like.

Just sayin'.

The Big Bang Theory was the highest rated show on Thursday for the third week running. The show dominated its timeslot and was crowned the highest rated show of the night in households, total viewers, adults 25-54 and adults 18-49.

"The Wiggly Finger Catalyst" was watched by 13.63 million people and scored an 8.2/14 rating in households. The show was down on last week by around 900,000 viewers. In the key adults 18-49 demographic, The Big Bang Theory scored a 4.4/13 rating.

The higher the ratings the lower the content. Sad...this episode was also not very funny.

What are they 'trying' to do with Sheldon? Is he regressing to a child rather than become a more well round individual like we saw at the end of season 3?

I don't get it and don't find it humorous, just unnerving

The higher the ratings the lower the content. Sad...this episode was also not very funny.

What are they 'trying' to do with Sheldon? Is he regressing to a child rather than become a more well round individual like we saw at the end of season 3?

I don't get it and don't find it humorous, just unnerving

I think it's just the way sitcom characters go. They tend to become over the top versions of their earlier selves. They've taken one part of the character and pushed it to the extreme.

I think I get my friends reaction to FRIENDS now. I enjoyed the show but never got invested in any of it but those I knew that did complained how the characters became so exaggerated it got silly. I now know what they meant.