The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.04 The Wiggly Finger Catalyst (Oct. 6)

I don't know where some of you get where that penny was slepping in leonard's room and then raj went in there, they where going to hook up penny put the condom on and then he blew his load, some people on here take this show a little to personal it's fiction remember that, a real life penny wouldn't have dated Leonard, I'd like to see them explain the reason for raj's mutism and I don't remember any Amy references to wanting to hook up with penny maybe someone could help me out if that did do that they could at least have someone hotter than Amy to be with penny

I don't know where some of you get where that penny was slepping in leonard's room and then raj went in there, they where going to hook up penny put the condom on and then he blew his load, some people on here take this show a little to personal it's fiction remember that, a real life penny wouldn't have dated Leonard, I'd like to see them explain the reason for raj's mutism and I don't remember any Amy references to wanting to hook up with penny maybe someone could help me out if that did do that they could at least have someone hotter than Amy to be with penny

To your first sentence. That is the story some people are hopeing will come out. That Raj was lying in the first episode and that that story is the real truth.

Did they miss the season finale where penny says she'd hook up with him if he didn't have the mutism thing going on, plus a guy would not lie about a girl putting on the condom and then blowing his load, he would've made someone else than telling the truth about that.

Did they miss the season finale where penny says she'd hook up with him if he didn't have the mutism thing going on, plus a guy would not lie about a girl putting on the condom and then blowing his load, he would've made someone else than telling the truth about that.

I think we all know that the "penny just fell asleep in Leo's room" scenario is unreal. This is just wishful thinking on a grand scale. Even though this is just a show, the back story is important to some of us and it's hard to relate to a story when some of the characters are turned into whores and douchebags.

As for Amy wanting to get with Penny - they have mentioned that several times. Not seriously, but in little comments she has made.

a real life penny wouldn't have dated Leonard

To me, that is part of the magic of (what was) the Penny / Leonard relationship. Penny only started hanging around these guys because she was a neighbor. After a while of getting to know them and their culture she found they weren't just weirdos, but that they were people she could like. It was that gradual process that was enjoyable to watch.

This is also one of the reasons I related to the show so much. My wife is beautiful, extroverted and very competent socially. There is no way I would have dated her or even gotten to know her if it wasn't for some very unusual circumstances that put us together for a while.

So, I guess I disagree. While the Penny and Leonard relationship is improbable, it is not impossible.

Penny had described him as creepy when silent and rude when drunk so her suddenly saying she'd hook up with him wasnt exactly in keeping with character or realistic in anyway. They went with it anyway so there's no reason not to make believe Raj lied. I mean it's not going to happen but the fact it's not likely wouldn't stop it with the way the writings gone.

I have another issue with this episode as it was bugging me from when I watched this episode and had to go through older episodes to find it.

Apparently the writers do not exactly keep track about what they have the characters do in previous episodes.

In S4.05 - The Desperation Emanation, Raj states that he is dating a deaf girl without the other guys knowing he was...and "talked" to her without any intervention of Howard having to sign for him.

Now in this S5 episode they make it seem it's the first time he comes across a deaf person and has no clue how to deal with that at first...

Mhhhh not good guys :( I hate time lines that are not followed from previous things characters do. They should pay more attention to detail.

EDIT: Hadn't read previous posts yet so I was not the only one that had an issue with this as Aevitas mentioned the same thing..

They haven't kept any kind of continuity for the characters in the last season or so.

Sheldon doesn't dance in any universe then dances without any protest with the girls. Sheldon sneaks into a hospital, has knowledge of medical equipment and procedures, begs to have check ups in hospital. Then suddenly he hates hospitals.

Penny thinks Raj is creepy or rude when drunk, suddenly says she would be all over him and would date him for money.

Leonard's bad luck with women then a all-round ladies man.

Raj has gone from a quiet, shy, polite and naive character to a backstabbing arse.

Howard is probably the only one who hasn't gone against character or contradicted himself.

How about they way they had penny's character got with Leonard, she wants a guy to treat her right not just some blonde but jumps his bones the minute he gets back from the artic and she still wants him even after she finds out what he did I figured she would at least be mad a first and then forgave him, when they went on the first date season 2.1 she tells him she wants to take things slow

Raj isn't getting much love on this thread, is he ?? :D

Just a sidenote.. Penny said she wouldn't sleep with Raj because of them being friends, not because of his mutism.

Raj mentioning him having a deaf chick was a joke to make leonard feel more miserable

Amy made a comment on Penny would have a better chance than Leonard landing on her body as Disneyland

I haven't been replying much, but seeing all these posts are somewhat nonsense when the actual episodes are already aired. stop making up stuff LOL

btw, Howard has always been my favorite

the things that come out of his mouth is just awesome

and maybe because his real name is the same as mine, SIMON =)

4ofN, let me try again blonde haired beautiful women waitress/actresses don't date guys that look or act like Leonard unless in the fantasy world, unless your wife is exactly like penny and you're exactly like Leonard I don't believe this, I'm sure from time to time women that look like penny would date a Leonard I've never seen it, I'm sure happens just not that often, as for raj there are lots of people that are shy and reserverd and then get drunk and then act like complete jerks that's what alchol does to you, so of you must not ever been around a drunk person before. I guess I need to pay more close attention when Amy talks to penny or about her I knew she tried something at the slumber party but that was because wiki said to, is Amy leisban or bi? I thought Amy and Sheldon were kind of together in a weird way

I haven't been replying much, but seeing all these posts are somewhat nonsense when the actual episodes are already aired.

On this note, I have one request to make. I figure that many of you have not been able to get over the horrible things that happened in the season finale + season 5 episode 1, but for some of us here (to quote Bernadette), the past is the past.

So can you PLEASE, when you feel the need to discuss those specific incidents and express your hate and frustration, do it on the respective old episode threads (let's say on the Skank Reflex thread)? Then I can choose to not go there. This just makes me not even want to visit the new episode threads any more, there's so much violent negativity here, and some things are said which are so disgusting that the writers of this show couldn't be as disgusting as that if they tried.

I know I'm not a moderator or something and don't have the right to tell anyone to do anything. I also know that some people will reply with 'but Raj mentioned it in this episode too!', which is true, but the thing is that when the discussions start they keep going all the way back.

But this sincerely is just a request, since I do want to continue being a part of this forum and visiting sometimes.

@Threelions Yes there are more things that didn't add up. Like Sheldon's bacteria phobia, but he lets some chick take care of his toes...but as per Pomita's request won't go into that further here :icon_wink:

@Netmouse Whatever gave you that idea..:icon_cheesygrin:

@Pomita Although I am respecting your request, isn't this why the episode threads are created, to talk & discuss that particular episode? As far as I have read we were just commenting on stuff that happened in the current ep & was overlooked or discarded in previous ones...it seems only natural to do that in this one.

I have not been a forum member for that long, but thought these threads were to post your views/ thoughts on the show :icon_question:

@Pomita Although I am respecting your request, isn't this why the episode threads are created, to talk & discuss that particular episodes? As far as I have read we were just commenting on stuff that happened is the current ep & was overlooked or discarded in previous ones...it seems only natural to do that in this one.

I have not been a forum member for that long, but thought these threads were to post your views/ thoughts on the show :icon_question:

That is just what I said, the episode threads are for discussing PARTICULAR episodes. The Wiggly Finger thread is, for example, not for going on and on about the intricacies of what happened between Raj and Penny in last year's season finale, how much of a whore it proved anyone to be, possible alternative outcomes, etc. Look at the last 2 pages.

As I said, I know I'm not within my rights here, to call anyone on it. :) Just pointing it out, that things can get rather bitter if dragged out in this way. So those discussions suit the respective episode threads more.

@Pomita Although I am respecting your request, isn't this why the episode threads are created, to talk & discuss that particular episodes? As far as I have read we were just commenting on stuff that happened is the current ep & was overlooked or discarded in previous ones...it seems only natural to do that in this one.

That is just what I said, the episode threads are for discussing PARTICULAR episodes. The Wiggly Finger thread is, for example, not for going on and on about the intricacies of what happened between Raj and Penny in last year's season finale, how much of a whore it proved anyone to be, possible alternative outcomes, etc. Look at the last 2 pages.

As I said, I know I'm not within my rights here, to call anyone on it. :) Just pointing it out, that things can get rather bitter if dragged out in this way. So those discussions suit the respective episode threads more.

Ah yes, read back some pages & see what you mean. Agree! I misinterpreted parts of you previous post. Sorry, sometimes reading English is hard(er) when I'm tired :icon_wink:

I have to agree with Pomita on this one.

The current season episode discussions are getting a lot of SE04E24 hijackings.

As I'm sure Mrs Hofstadter said to 5 year old Leonard during his willy-grasping phase... "Just let it go"

Unfortunately sometimes what happens in one episode is relevant to what happens in another so it gets brought up. This episode with the deaf woman does harken back to the episode when Raj said he dated another deaf woman so it is relevant. Similarly, those who saw this episode as a further illustration of certain character traits on Penny and Raj's parts do relate those back to the finale / premier where they exhibited those same traits. Of course once the conversation starts, it is hard to just switch it over to a different thread.

Having said that, I can certainly understand how some of this can be annoying to someone who likes the new show. I don't know how to fix that as everyone does have their opinion (that’s why I stayed off the forum for a few weeks - trying to let it go.)

In any case, the wounds are still fresh so certain people are still lashing out. I suspect that the negativity will wear off after a while as people who don't like the new show drift off to other pursuits. I suspect I will. I've been watching the show this season just to give it a chance and I'm finding that I am becoming a more and more ambivalent about it. I'll be away from the show for a the next few weeks and it will be interesting to see if I care once I'm back.

@Jacks @4ofN I understand, and thanks for the extremely civilized replies. :)

@4ofN Again, I'm sorry that this affected you so strongly that you're finding it hard to enjoy the show now. Obviously it would be hard if you don't even like the characters any more, since a major part of the pleasure comes (came, for you?) from the characters being lovable and relatable in their own weird ways.

As I'm sure Mrs Hofstadter said to 5 year old Leonard during his willy-grasping phase... "Just let it go"

:D

@Pomita. Your compassion is appreciated.

In fact, I'll say it again. Your compassion IS appreciated. After last seasons finale and this seasons premier, some of us were shocked about what happened and felt cheated out of a show we loved. After that a certain amount of hostility grew up between the "liked it" vs the "didn't like it" crowds and that was unfortunate for everyone.

So, regardless of how I feel about it, I am happy that you are still enjoying the show and I hope that continues for you for the remainder of the series.

Now then, we seem now to be loitering around in the Wiggly Finger thread speaking of other things so perhaps we should move along. :icon_wink:

Thanks. :)

Just a suggestion, since there are specific things/characters which you find irritating now but it's still a show you used to love - maybe you can pick and choose episodes and watch them. Those which promise more nerdy things (from the synopsis), not too much of Raj, etc. I would think you might like today's episode, for example.

Oh, if only it were that easy.

That's why I've been watching this season - to see if I can look past it all.

Unfortunately the characters matter, the backstory matters. The show wasn't about a bunch of random people doing some sciencey/nerdy things. It was about characters we have come to know doing some sciencey/nerdy things, with a lot of the humor having to do with the interplay between those characters.

I wonder why penny is dressing so conservative now as compared to the first few seasons

No we didn't miss it. We saw it, hated it and would like it erased. She never found Raj attractive. She has pointed it out many times. She finds him creepy when silent and an ass when drunk. What they did in 4x24 was completely out of character. It was also in extremely bad taste. The so called solution in 5x01 is lame. Some of us still wish for a better solution, though we aren't likely to ever see one.

Of course Raj would have lied. He was deluded enough to think Penny would go out with him. When she wouldn't he told her the condom tale so she wouldn't tell anyone else. He wanted to be the cool guy who got the hot chick for once. That is true even with the current plot line. Look at the lines he shot Penny in this episode. The whole, "We had a crazy night and you can't stand to see me with another woman," garbage. He is still acting like the ass Penny always said he was. He is still deluded. He thought her comforting him was hitting on him. You refer to real life and Penny would never date Leonard. Probably. She sure as hell would not put up with Raj and the way he acted. Why have they got them acting like buddies? Again, total lack of character continuity.

So far this season has (in my opinion) been centred around Raj, Howard and the girls (excluding Penny). Basically the opposite of what it's always been. Leonard and Sheldon have been the support characters (and Penny too) with Amy, Bernadette, Howard and Raj getting the limelight.

The science geek humour is much less than it used to be. Shame.

And Sheldon (when we see him on screen, which hasn't been that much of late) is turning into a big kid. I'm sure if someone sat in his spot on the couch, or ordered Chinese on pizza night, he wouldn't bat an eyelid. He'd probably just roll the dice and go with the flow.

I thought the episode had some funny moments, the best scene being the opening one as others have already mentioned. But everything seems to be mixed up and not part of the winning formula that it used to be.

Meh.

@4ofN: I love your honesty and your compassion towards this show. I truly truly hope you can swing back to finding solace in what was once your favourite show.

You've put forward some really good opinions lately.