The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.05 The Russian Rocket Reaction

I disliked Bernadette and her two faced antics there. If I were Howard I get rid of her for pulling that crap...

Well, can't say that Howard has always been the ideal boyfriend, what with piling his mother on to her, and she's been pretty graceful about it; so it works to have him be tolerant of her moments of weakness too.

That's a dumpable offence there... you don't agree with something that your partner wants to do and instead of resolving it with them, go to their mother, who you know will take your side and put a stop to it for you. It's cowardly, disrespectful, cheap, nasty and controlling. Not even Howard deserves that.

Yeah but this is Howard. The fact that he has a girlfriend/fiance that doesn't require some form of pump to keep her upright is a miracle. Bernadette is becoming more like his mother. It was underhanded but not unexpected that she did what she did. At least she genuinely apologized in the end.

Also, Howard is someone who is literally forcing Bernadette to live with his very controlling mother, and explicitly says many times that he expects the same kind of 'mothering' from her (cut his meat, wash his clothes..)

That's not done in a relationship, either. For their sake I hope they'll thresh out those issues at some point, but until then.. it occurred to her to go tell his mother only because they were living with her (on Howard's insistence), right?

And yes, she genuinely apologized, unlike Howard, who never even realizes what he's doing wrong.

Personally, I found it a little odd for Bernadette to agree so quickly to getting married after the living together thing at her apartment didn't work out the last episode they were featured in together. She does realize that getting married would mean she'd have to deal with Howard's babying all the time, right? They clearly didn't resolve anything since Howard still expected his meat to be cut when she started staying at his mother's. But, that's another discussion for another thread. xD

On topic though, I think her tattling on Howard to his mother kind of does fall into her character. It's no secret she's a little bit of a space case, and that's part of her character flaw, which makes her believable (and sometimes adorable/hilarious, e.g. mixing the Ebola virus with the common cold, which would be "a terrible, terrible thing..." *smiling*). The important thing though is that she did realize she screwed up, and we got to see a glimpse of her family history as well through this incident. Any relationship in real life would have people screwing up just as badly, but since this is a TV show it just gets exaggerated more, and healthy couples don't break up after one impasse. I see this as being one of many conflicts that will come up on Howard and Bernadette's bumpy road to Marriageville, and that's the only way I see them getting there: bumpy, with some potholes and maybe a couple of "Bridge Out" signs. xD

Agree on both counts, Aevitas. I feel that while judging characters on TV or film, people tend to forget that there are as bad and worse screw-ups/faults/weaknesses in real life and relationships, often without any really dramatic consequences. Maybe because, as you say, things appear more prominent and exaggerated on screen, and we unconsciously expect 'perfection' from our favorite characters.

Exactly, Pomita. I think there's a difference between "That character shouldn't have done that," and "It was out of character for that person to do that." I do agree that it's very tempting to want to wish a perfect life for TV characters we know and love, but that would make for a boring show, and besides, nobody's perfect. :)

I disliked Bernadette and her two faced antics there. If I were Howard I get rid of her for pulling that crap...

Well, can't say that Howard has always been the ideal boyfriend, what with piling his mother on to her, and she's been pretty graceful about it; so it works to have him be tolerant of her moments of weakness too.

That's a dumpable offence there... you don't agree with something that your partner wants to do and instead of resolving it with them, go to their mother, who you know will take your side and put a stop to it for you. It's cowardly, disrespectful, cheap, nasty and controlling. Not even Howard deserves that.

Yeah but this is Howard. The fact that he has a girlfriend/fiance that doesn't require some form of pump to keep her upright is a miracle. Bernadette is becoming more like his mother. It was underhanded but not unexpected that she did what she did. At least she genuinely apologized in the end.

Also, Howard is someone who is literally forcing Bernadette to live with his very controlling mother, and explicitly says many times that he expects the same kind of 'mothering' from her (cut his meat, wash his clothes..)

That's not done in a relationship, either. For their sake I hope they'll thresh out those issues at some point, but until then.. it occurred to her to go tell his mother only because they were living with her (on Howard's insistence), right?

And yes, she genuinely apologized, unlike Howard, who never even realizes what he's doing wrong.

Howard is indeed in the wrong a vast majority of the time - however 2 wrongs never make a right.

Howard is indeed in the wrong a vast majority of the time - however 2 wrongs never make a right.

Absolutely. But I guess what we're getting at here is that many, many wrongs and many, many rights together make an actual relationship - which might work in the long run if the rights, on the whole, outweigh the wrongs.

The Howard/Bernadette path is undeniably rocky, the show has made no bones about that. We don't even know if it 'should' last. All I'm saying is that Bernadette hasn't done anything substantially worse than anything Howard has ever done so far, so it's unfair to say that she deserves to be instantly dumped. And it appears that both of them feel a deep enough emotional bond to keep them holding on, for now, in spite of obstacles. Maybe they're just too much 'in love' at present to be able to break up even if events suggest it would be a wise decision - which, again, is not that uncommon in real life. Love is blind, marriage is an eye-opener and all that jazz. :p

Pomita,

Not to be entirely antagonistic here...but you are one of the soap boxers of "why so negative and why not just enjoy the show"

But whenever ANYONE shows the slightest inclination of the non greatness of the show, you attack us like a Spider monkey on an all nighter of cigars and red bull. Being a fangirl and fighting constantly until you get you way, well....actually I know who you relate to on the show...

We all have opinions, if you disagree, don't drag it out...arguing with smileys and niceties does not equate to you being the better or correct party.

ANYWAY

I liked this episode, it was heart warming and funny on Bernadette's and Howards end...and it shows a little wackadoodle on Bernadettes side, explaining why she is probably with Howard. She likes to 'mother' her man, despite her claims that she doesn't want to

Leonard and Sheldon ... THANK YOU! That is what we want...yes Sheldon being a jerk to Leonard, but because of what he deems betrayal and not malicious or mean spirited at all...but non veiled manipulation.

Stuart...pure gold with the Iron Man comment and "Another Weaton sausagefest"

Wheaton, ehhhh, I guess this is his last hurrah on the show so they ended it on a high note so he wasn't know as evil...but breaking up a couple to win bowling and saying his grand mom was dead to win a card game...then using his D list celebrity to butt the guys out of the show? Didn't sit well...AT ALL. Brent SPiner was funny.

However, what made me think of Season 2 but with a more mature Leonard was the haggling...funniest part is him pushing out that confidence that he wouldn't have done the last 4 seasons and getting two Data dolls for $30 and a celebrity at his birthday party. THIS is the Leonard I want to see...

Go Leonard!

Of course with the "Good Guy Fluctuation" and seeing how gorgeous that actress is, I doubt I will be rooting for the Pick UP Artist Leonard for long

Pomita,

Not to be entirely antagonistic here...but you are one of the soap boxers of "why so negative and why not just enjoy the show"

But whenever ANYONE shows the slightest inclination of the non greatness of the show, you attack us like a Spider monkey on an all nighter of cigars and red bull. Being a fangirl and fighting constantly until you get you way, well....actually I know who you relate to on the show...

We all have opinions, if you disagree, don't drag it out...arguing with smileys and niceties does not equate to you being the better or correct party.

Point noted, no more smileys.

I thought I was just expressing my opinion, too (or my theories about why something happened). I certainly didn't intend to try proving myself better, in fact I wasn't thinking of myself at all, just of the show.

If it came across like that, I'm sorry.

As for being a fangirl, I plead guilty.

Pomita is not only one of my friends but she is one of the neutral posters on here or IMDB or FF so I will defend her when someone takes a jab at her as I would anyone else being treated unfairly. If anyone is being critical on the negs, its me however I tend to bring perspective and insight on my points but as you have a right to your opinion whatever it may be so does Pomita. So does the many others who think differently. TETO

The ones that said penny hardly has any scenes anymore and don't know what to do with her anymore, this is the first episode of the season where she wasn't a main part of the episode or a some serious screen time, when I first read about this episode I thought maybe Wheaton had invited penny and she was going to show Sheldon to let go of his revenge, I'm not really sure about Sheldon know longer hating Wheaton and why would Leonard go to wheaton's party when he broke up his relationship especially when Wheaton admited it to Sheldon, glad the old Leonard is back and not the jerk or whining Leonard, I looks like the show that followed TBBT already got canned I guess they don't give them time anymore.

Thanks Shel_Ra.

I forgot to add, Imapotato, I'm glad to know you liked this episode.

The ones that said penny hardly has any scenes anymore and don't know what to do with her anymore, this is the first episode of the season where she wasn't a main part of the episode or a some serious screen time, when I first read about this episode I thought maybe Wheaton had invited penny and she was going to show Sheldon to let go of his revenge, I'm not really sure about Sheldon know longer hating Wheaton and why would Leonard go to wheaton's party when he broke up his relationship especially when Wheaton admited it to Sheldon, glad the old Leonard is back and not the jerk or whining Leonard, I looks like the show that followed TBBT already got canned I guess they don't give them time anymore.

I don't think Leonard knows that Wheaton broke up he and Penny. Sheldon knows but we have no evidence that he ever told Leonard. Sheldon has always demonstrated a propensity to change directions when the reward is sufficient. What he really wanted was that autographed action figure that he never got. It's like forgiving Raj using his toothbrush when he told him he was gifting him a talking Thomas the Tank locomotive.

The Russian Rocket Reaction

astronaut Howard Wolowitz

b054dc6e6875.jpg

The Big Bang Theory s05e05

Priceless graphic. Where did you get it?

Since then though, Wil Wheaton manipulated Sheldon's personal feelings for his meemaw to win a card game, which should be a really low blow even for Sheldon (not taking into account breaking up Leonard and Penny because that didn't affect Sheldon "directly"). I still found it hard to believe that he could forgive Wheaton for that even if he finally did get his signed action figure, let alone give him a hug. xD

Since then though, Wil Wheaton manipulated Sheldon's personal feelings for his meemaw to win a card game, which should be a really low blow even for Sheldon (not taking into account breaking up Leonard and Penny because that didn't affect Sheldon "directly"). I still found it hard to believe that he could forgive Wheaton for that even if he finally did get his signed action figure, let alone give him a hug. xD

Just more out of character writing. I guess we are going to be stuck with that.

A fan will point it out at comic con, like they did with the line about Sheldon's first kissing being with Amy when it wasn't

Then the writers will say why they did it and we will shake our heads

The Russian Rocket Reaction

astronaut Howard Wolowitz

b054dc6e6875.jpg

The Big Bang Theory s05e05

Priceless graphic. Where did you get it?

Pomita is not only one of my friends but she is one of the neutral posters on here or IMDB or FF so I will defend her when someone takes a jab at her as I would anyone else being treated unfairly. If anyone is being critical on the negs, its me however I tend to bring perspective and insight on my points but as you have a right to your opinion whatever it may be so does Pomita. So does the many others who think differently. TETO

It's very nice you back your internet friend...and I have no qualms with her finding NO fault with the show...I have known Star Trek and Star Wars geeks...she is 100x less fan(atic)

My issue is to point out that she goes out of her way to prove someone who has a differing opinion of the show, how they are incorrect and will counter and counter until the thread is lost.

YET, she has made many posts about how the critics of the show should not belabor their point...and that they are dragging down threads.

See what I mean, jellybean?

It is not a jab, it is an observation

It was ...odd...but not improbable that Sheldon would forgive Wheaton for breaking up Leonard and Penny (he really couldn't stand too much of Penny) or for cheating at a card game (which he didn't want to do) and he got his revenge for stealing Indiana Jones...

So therefore, if Wheaton gave him the figure, I could see Sheldon thinking himself the victor, as Wheaton cowtowed to him and gave him a gift to show favor.

Logical

My issue is to point out that she goes out of her way to prove someone who has a differing opinion of the show, how they are incorrect and will counter and counter until the thread is lost.

Countering someone's opinion with arguments amounts to two people discussing the show, not either of us 'trying to prove' each other incorrect. As long as we stay on-topic and don't make personal attacks, how is that inappropriate and how does that make a thread get lost? That's what the threads are for, right?

When I watch this show (or anything), I try to understand or reason out things to myself about which I may have questions. When someone here brings up a point related to what I theorized in my mind, I feel like putting forward the way I had seen it. Maybe I write a lot because I'm just trying to get my thought processes down on paper (keyboard). As long as some people seem to be interested, I'll continue to do so.

YET, she has made many posts about how the critics of the show should not belabor their point...and that they are dragging down threads.

I have made only one post specifically about the critics of the show, instead of about the show itself.

My request was this - the negativity surrounding the season finale and premiere should preferably be restricted to the threads for the season finale and premiere, instead of occupying the threads for episode 3 or 4 with that discussion. I did NOT say that they shouldn't talk about it, only that they should talk about it at the appropriate place if possible.

This was my only 'personal' comment, and I clarified right then that it was a request and I wasn't within my rights to say it - I was just relying on their goodwill.

Imapotato,

Sheldon was against them being together, not penny as a whole or he wouldn't have went to bat for her when she was in need or consider her a friend if he was against penny herself

The thread is veering off discussion of the episode and is heading towards personal comments and larger arguments. Can we please head back to discussing this episode? :)

Did anyone else find Sheldon's explanation of why he hates Wil Wheaton a little "less then factual" to how the story unfolded back in season 3, during the Warlords card game ?