Season premier. Awful, obnoxious, stupid, uncomfortable.

4ofN

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol this is my first visit since its all started and ive seen all 3 shows so far. I thought the first episode was just OK, but the second was hilarious, and this weeks as equally hilarious. If you rewatch them they get better, thats whats always been the beauty of the show for me. Its more funny when you watch it time after time again.

I agree to that. For example I found the last episode (Wiggly Finger) just okay when I watched it the first time, but it started sinking in the second time round and then it was much more enjoyable.

I must admit I liked it better the second time. Raj annoyed me so much the first time that it sort of dulled the good stuff coming from Howard.

I'd say everything seems awkward this season.

Things like Sheldon putting a model train engine into his mouth. Embarassing.

Theres nothing like a germaphobe happily putting something that couldn't have been washed into his mouth. Or a scientist who understands the effects of moisture on electrical components putting a small electric device into his mouth.

It's bizare just how far they have gone from the origins of this show.

^^^

That was truly assinine. To add to that..."na,na,na,na you have to go to a wedding"

Or the dice...Scientists do not leave decisions to chance, especially not Sheldon. That would have been a decent sub plot for Leonard though

Did they decide to write for Mayim Balik and turn Jim Parsons into a charicature?

Howard had some good lines in the Wiggly finger and the infestation episode was like a bad season 3 episode...but the ratings go up and the scientific content and IQ of the show goes down.

The train thing with sheldon bugged me too, I'm not sure why they got him to do that.

But what is happening to Raj, each ep recently he just seems to be writen as more of a jerk.. e.g the date with the deaf chick. Howard now looks like the decent one, along side Raj.

But then I didn't really like Leonard, rushing off to call Priya after he realises how rich her family is.

Less of this stuff, more of the geeky stuff please :)

+5 for anything with EWW.

The train thing with sheldon bugged me too, I'm not sure why they got him to do that.

But what is happening to Raj, each ep recently he just seems to be writen as more of a jerk.. e.g the date with the deaf chick. Howard now looks like the decent one, along side Raj.

But then I didn't really like Leonard, rushing off to call Priya after he realises how rich her family is.

I didn't care for Leonard's reaction either, but they obviously did it because they needed him out of the room so Penny could say, "I could have dated Raj for a few months," after finding out he paid the deaf girl's credit cards off. Couldn't have Penny looking like a whore again in front of Leonard.

OMG, you naysayers need to either take a chill pill and stop analyzing this show to death and ENJOY or get REAL! This has been a great season so far other than epi 4! OP, seriously get off your high horse or stop being in a negative mindset when you watch this show. Or just find something else if its such a bother but this show is better than it was in s3 tbh. Some people are just so damn stressed up due to real life. Allow the fictional world take over for at least a half hr and chilax once in a while. I don't dissect this show to death for a reason. Why? Its a TV show!

@ShelRa: There appear to be 3 camps with regards to TBBT series right now.

Team Wheaton: those who are not enjoying the show at all since the finale of season 4, yet continue watching to see if/how the show will redeem itself.

Team Sheldon: those who love the show and accept everything good and bad about the series.

Team Leonard: those who enjoy the show, acknowledge that it has some failings, but continue watching because of their overall enjoyment of the series thus far.

The team Sheldon/Leonard examples are a little similar, but it's 3am here atm and I'm trying to be clever :D

I'm in the Team Leonard camp, myself. It just depends how you feel about the show.

As for the difference in opinion on other forum sites... well, I guess each site attracts a different demographic, and hence, different opinions.

I wouldn't consider the imdb forum a true fansite. It reminds me of the "rate this product" section on Amazon.com.

I know Pomita was posting over on imdb awhile back, perhaps she can share her opinions of the site, too. Me personally, I didn't really find it that interesting a site, nor the CBS site.

tl;dr answer: Opinions are like butt-holes; everybody has one.

haha, it appears i'm in the Leonard team as well...

and I didn't say I hated the new season, just that I was at first disappointed as I watched the first episode. It seemed like all the nerd comic was gone... then it got better with the other episodes.

Team Sheldon: those who love the show and accept everything good and bad about the series.

Team Leonard: those who enjoy the show, acknowledge that it has some failings, but continue watching because of their overall enjoyment of the series thus far.

The team Sheldon/Leonard examples are a little similar, but it's 3am here atm and I'm trying to be clever :D

I'm in the Team Leonard camp, myself. It just depends how you feel about the show.

I like thoses!! It tis very clever of you (or else I'm just a tired :p)

I'm a Camp Leonard too!

Great analysis, netmouse. :)

I guess I'm somewhere between team Sheldon/Leonard. I do register when I don't like something or like a specific episode that much, but I sincerely feel that I enjoy the show MORE now with the addition of the geek girls, than I did with just the geek guys and one 'normal' girl. Partly it's my AFF love, of course; but I also like the way they're handling the larger character set and letting them settle in.

So there is no question of 'acknowledging failings but continuing to watch anyway'; for me it's a very welcome increase in complexity and character dynamics. But my eyes are open and if something disappoints me I'll say it, like last week's Raj storyline.

Regarding the imdb forum - there's a big influx of both (strongly) positive and negative reactions there, and as you said it's not really a fan forum so it's pretty impersonal (there are also trolls, people calling each other names etc). On the other hand, I certainly don't see the amount of general cribbing and negativity there which I see on this forum nowadays.. I don't see it anywhere, in fact, and believe me, I read all possible reviews, ratings, reports and user feedback which I can get my hand on (I know, I need a life). :p

So I'm led to believe that the members of this forum are somewhat exceptional. I can only say I appreciate that they keep it largely polite and civilized and don't attack 'those who still love this show' personally, as the small group of haters on the imdb forum do.

@Pomita: the lack of moderation (I don't even know if they have moderators) on the imdb forum was what put me off the most.

It's not that difficult to disagree with someone's opinion without resorting to name-calling in the process.

It's not that difficult to disagree with someone's opinion without resorting to name-calling in the process.

Exactly.

Well, name-calling of the characters on the show hurts almost as much, when you happen to feel emotionally attached to them, but I suppose that's within 'freedom of speech' bounds while discussing a show and has to be tolerated gracefully. :)

My mum cried tonight whilst watching Doc Martin on UKTV, when it was announced that Martin's aunty had been killed.

Now THAT'S bonding with a fictional character !

This week, I suddenly found myself a little teary-eyed when Howard talked about his father in the car, which took me completely by surprise - I'm not even that attached to Howard as a character. I just think Simon performed that scene very well.