The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

What's your opinion of Amy Farrah Fowler?

I've been watching The Big Bang Theory: Season 4 again on DVD and it dawned on me how much I like the Amy character. I know it's not a universal sentiment around here, but I think there's something really likeable about this Sheldon-like girl who wants to change, to experience new things, to enjoy friendship, not be stuck in her little geeky world etc. Her interactions with Penny are not just funny but also kind of sweet. Then there's her interactions with Sheldon, where he's almost in a relationship and, more importantly, he's enjoying it.

Previously Leonard was the geeky character who wanted to change, in contrast to Sheldon, and that worked fine when the show started, but after dating a few gorgeous women, I'm not sure that works now. Sure, Leonard still has geeky interests, but he's a pretty regular guy really. I think Amy fills the hopeful geek role very well.

I think she's added a freshness to the show that was needed after a few years. What's your opinion on Amy?

• Like 4

you make a good case for Amy but does the show need a female sheldon and i lost any interest in her after she decided to share her electric toothbrush stress release with penny and with us the viewing public sorry tripper i know its not the feedback you were hoping for and hopefully someone will have something pleasant to say about Amy

For everything pleasant about Amy, I'm the person to turn to. :p

I am a straight female (for the record) and at this time I think I can officially say that I am IN LOVE with her.

I was initially doubtful about her character, she seemed too 'female-Sheldon-ish' (as people kept complaining), and I'm well aware that no human on earth can do Sheldon like Jim Parsons; I also couldn't understand where the writers wanted to go with her, given that she seemed to be dislikable and a put-off to the rest of the group besides Sheldon.

But all that changed when the writers pulled the clever trick - or the miracle, if you will - of Amy taking a fancy to Penny. Henceforth, her interactions with Penny alone, with Penny and Bernadette, and with the rest of the guys (as and when it happened), have been a complete ray of sunshine on the show. In her hilarious and yet touching awkwardness with them, her blatant attempts to endear herself, become 'part of the party', and enjoy the things she clearly never knew before in her life - she shows herself to be completely different from Sheldon in motivation, yet so like him in her intrinsic nature. Today's interactions with Leonard were a culmination of the spirited, clueless hilarity that she brings.

This also makes her a strange kind of bridge between Sheldon and 'the world of people'.. there are very few things on-screen that I have found as fascinating as the relationship between Sheldon and Amy. It's so different from anything you ever saw or imagined, and yet so perfectly natural for them; they belong to a different species by themselves, speak the same language and understand each other so well without overtly seeming to even care. Of all the characters, she's the only one who can convince him of anything by force of reasoning, influence him willingly and not under protest on his part. And just how much of a friend he considers her - if there's anything more, if it's even possible for Sheldon to feel anything more - is a question that stays tantalizingly present but skimmed over, delightfully under the carpet. I'm happy with them keeping it that way, for as long as they care to.

I have to say that the writers and Mayim have done an amazing job of fleshing out her character; and perhaps my sentimental attachment is partly because I see myself in her, as a female science nerd - some of what she's about strikes too close home.. like when she talks of eating her lunch alone with the school janitor, her carrying around electrodes to take readings for her experiment no matter what, and her innocent enthusiasm to reach out to people and make good for much drier times socially.

Sorry for the essay, I don't usually gush about things but just had to get this out. :) I already loved this show and Sheldon; Amy's presence has just made it even more awesome for me.

• Like 3

I'm starting to like her more and more.

She has had a great start in season 5.

but I only recently realised that she was Blossom... a show I grew up with.

I can remember when you were either a Blossom fan, or a Punky Brewster fan.

Not quite Team Jacob, but you get the jist :p

I may get flamed for this but I'm willing to pay the price.

I LOVE AMY!!! She has easily become my favourite character. I love her dry wit and how she is played to perfection. She is probably the only character in the show that has actually developed (dare I say blossomed hehe). I look forward to seeing more of her as the series develops and hope she won't be dropped.

And Absolon hath kist hir nether ye;

And Nicholas is scalded in the towte.

This tale is doon, and God save al the rowte!

Classic!

I am still split in a 2 way direction about Amy the character.

In some episodes I like her a lot, when she comes over as a human and wants to help Penny deal with the Leonard/Priya issue. But on other occasions ( the toothbrush thing in last ep) I think she is trying too much too quick for my liking and feel an adversity towards her. Can't put my finger on it exactly tbh.

I mostly do like her interactions with Sheldon.

Loved her in Blossom!

I think at one point she was starting to grow on me during season 4. That scene with her and Leonard in the hallway after she'd bought those heels split my sides open with laughter. But so far in season 5, she's been just awful. I like the idea of Sheldon having a female parallel that flourishes into what he doesn't, but she's too much of a cardboard character to be believable or to be endearing for me. She also delivers some of the worst lines.

The only enjoyable aspect about her character is her relationship with Sheldon, but the annoying thing is every time they get close there's a setback that spoils the moment.

The only enjoyable aspect about her character is her relationship with Sheldon, but the annoying thing is every time they get close there's a setback that spoils the moment.

In other words, you're a closet Shamy shipper. :)

Couldn't help that.

@pomita wow that reply really came from the heart and has made me think about why i enjoy watching the show even season 4 lol i am not a sciece nerd yet i think if you asked why we watch its because we all see parts of our life in every character scary but true

@pomita wow that reply really came from the heart and has made me think about why i enjoy watching the show even season 4 lol i am not a sciece nerd yet i think if you asked why we watch its because we all see parts of our life in every character scary but true

Thanks. :) I guess that's true about anything on-screen (or in literature) which we love.

In other words, you're a closet Shamy shipper. :)

Couldn't help that.

I'm more of a Shenny shipper, if anything. I know it probably won't ever happen, but you have to admit they'd be too darn tootin' cute. :p

But really I'm only interested in the prospect of Sheldon having a romantic relationship at all, even if it's with Amy.

I liked Sheldon's protective judo chop on Leonard at the end of episode 3.

Another small glimpse of Sheldon's human side.

I liked Sheldon's protective judo chop on Leonard at the end of episode 3.

Another small glimpse of Sheldon's human side.

I know! It was great!

I like Amy in the show but I don't want her to become one of the main characters.

Internet is buzzing with speculations over just how 'human' it was, and in what ways. Sheldon can be enigmatic sometimes. :)

I think Pomita has put it very well. At first i didn't like her (she got up my nose) because she was trying to be a female Sheldon, but I love her trying so hard to be one of the girls.

FYI, I didn't really like the toothbrush comment either.

I'm guessing Sheldon will always be protective of Amy, but not to the point of them engaging in any romantic activities beyond being together in the same room.

I'm guessing Sheldon will always be protective of Amy, but not to the point of them engaging in any romantic activities beyond being together in the same room.

At this point, he's willing to kiss her, which is a pretty big stretch from season 1-3. I guess anything is possible from here on.

I think Sheldon and Amy will eventually hook up. I also see Amy as the catalyst that puts Penny back with Leonard.

like when she talks of eating her lunch alone with the school janitor, her carrying around electrodes to take readings for her experiment no matter what, and her innocent enthusiasm to reach out to people and make good for much drier times socially.

Hmmm... ya know, now that you bring that up, I would really like to see Amy in the past. Although it'd seem pointless to have an flashback ep without the other cast members (unless there was a plot to have a connection between the past and present), I might enjoy watching it. But I don't think it would be good ep for humor. Her story seem so sad.

has any one but me noticed, that in season 1 in the bat jar conjure, when raj says they should get TV's blossom to be on there team beacause she has a pHd in neurobiologist which is Mayim Bialik, who is amy farrah fowler in the show "with" a pHd in neurobiologist