The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

What's your opinion of Amy Farrah Fowler?

When I think about how much the Amy character has changed, I think of an interview I read or saw somewhere. One of the creators said that both Sheldon and Amy missed out on a lot growing up, Sheldon doesn't care, Amy does. That's why Amy changed so much when she met Sheldon, Penny, and everyone else. She was making up for lost time. Sheldon wasn't affected as much by meeeting Penny because he didn't care about what he had missed out on. With that said, Amy is my favorite character, whether that be season 4 Amy, season 5 Amy, season 6 Amy, or season 7 Amy. Every line she says makes me laugh. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

season 4 (initial half) - bland,dull,monotonic,poorly acted,poorly written,boring

season 4(second half) - wonderfully acted, beautifully written , I thought even Sheldon was no match to Amy during this phase (both acting and writing)

season 5 - average , sometimes cringeworthy

season 6 - average , sometimes dull and cringeworthy

season 7 - average so far...

• Like 1

They (the people who create programmes) have a box where they put all the characteristics they couldn't use on any other characters. How can a character be disposed of?

Well, I've already written my opinion on some other threads about Amy so why not here as well. Eitherway I love talking about her!!!!

Basically, Amy is the reason why I even watch the show. Once or twice I came across some episodes and I laughed but never paid much attention. One of the episodes I watched was the Adhesive Duck and most specifically the scene when Sheldon helps Penny get dressed. Having no idea about the characters just some stuff in general I assumed that was a foreshadow that they were going to be a couple. Maybe this is valid just about the shows in my country but this is a usual concept (two people really different becoming a couple). After that I came across Amy's character and I found her quite amusing but the next episode I remember at which I paid attention was The Flaming Spitton and I was amazed!!!! From then on whenever I happened to be around when it was on TV I would watch epsecially for Amy but some scenes here and there. And finally this summer I watched every season and I just confirmed what I already knew. Amy Farah Fowler is an extaordinary character!!!!!!!

The interesting part about her was that despite her similarities with Sheldon the reasons that made her just as social inept as he is were different. The first thing I like about her is that she is smart - and I think it is implied that she is the one who approaches Sheldon's intellect the most. She is smart and a woman of career. Bernie also represent the female smart scientist so they were both really essential additions IMO. Personaly, I don't understand why people think the original cast should remain as it was till the end and frankly as much as I love Penny I am glad that she is not the only female representative on the show and I mean full cast. Leslie was fine too but we never got to know more about her. Amy and Bernie really refreshed the show IMO. The fact that from a character who served a purpose she managed to become an independent character who has her own life means that she is an inspiring character for the writers. She had storylines based on her and others that didn't involve Sheldon.

Her robotic ways and speaking at first were so wonderfully written and acted. Sheldon and Amy are in fact a couple of weirdos and what makes them unique is that they don't care. Wheh they are together and have a great time they kust don't care!!! Usually she is really funny and Mayim's extraordinary talent adds a lot to that!! Having said that I'll say that I had no idea who Mayim was before the show and to be honest I still don't know much about her. I consider her to be a really attractive woman and a very talented actress but I consider myself to be quite objective about her because especially when I was first watching the show I only knew her name.

Of course there are some things I'd wish were a bit different. I wasn't always a fun of her comments about Penny. Sometimes I found them funny and honestly I wouldn't mind if she were gay. Often I read about her ''creepy lesbian jokes''. I believe that it is an extremely rude comment because being gay doesn't equal with creepy. I understand the ''girl crush'' the writers wanted to show but sometimes it just was a bit too much. They could have handled it better. It seemed like they were searching for someoneto keep telling how beautiful Penny is(which was redundant because we all have eyes and we can see how beautiful Penny is) given that Howard was with Bernie, Raj couldn't talk to her and Sheldon couldn't care less if sheis beautiful or not. So,they kind of forced those comments to Amy but they are long gone and I don't believe they will ever come back. They served their purpose and now Amy considers Penny her best friend not because she is beautiful or a prom queen but because she really appreciates her as a person with the goods and the flaws of her character.

Another thing is that sometimes the writers tend to treat Amy just as a part of the Shamy and they seem to forget all the time they gave her and the storylines they based on her character. That doesn't happen very often but since Amy is my favourite character I like to see storylines just about her without having to serve a purpose for Sheldon. Actually, I enjoyed it very much that in the Cooper Extraction Sheldon's storyline ultimately was serving a purpose about Amy.

I love Amy Farah Fowler cause she is smart and funny and weird and a good-hearted person. She really has a lot in common with Sheldon but she has a thirst to finally live everything she couldn't before she met Sheldon and the gang. They are as same as it needs to get each other to know how it feels to be like Sheldon or like Amy but different enough to keep each other motivated and evolve. Just as interesting is her relationship with the other characters too. I loved the way Leonard changed his mind about her and while he was calling her obnoxius at first and he didn't want to see her he finally became fond of her and her good friend. Of course I love her friendship with Penny too!!

Eitherway Amy is an extremely interesting character and it isn't without purpose that there are so many threads about her. Apperently, all of us - people who love her(me included) or people who love to hate her - really LOVE to talk about her!!!! I love to talk about her too and do I want more Amy screentime??

amy-big-bang-theory-yes-please.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If the doctor said you had a gangrenous foot, and that by cutting it off they could save the leg, and also the show!

If the doctor said you had a gangrenous foot, and that by cutting it off they could save the leg, and also the show!

Ooooooh, you're going to make it onto The List.

• Like 1

Amy is one of the most interesting characters on TBBT. As I have said on a different thread Mayim playing the part of Amy was an amazing stroke of luck. How many actors have a Ph.D. in any Science? This is gold for this series!

• Like 4

I didn't know that becoming infected with gangrene could pull in so many fans. Be right back, going to go cut off the blood supply to my foot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Sorry to hear about the loss of your foot, but if it's needed to save the leg and, most importantly, the show where the precious Amy Farrah Fowler is, then that foot is well cut.

• Like 4

Amy isn't an infection, she's on a short list of ok addictions to the show. I have problems with with her arc, I felt like her 180 from her introduction was way to drastic and way to sudden. Her obsession with Sheldon and Penny was ok at first but has grown more and more creepy as the series progresses. I Was fine when she was in a state of shock with her life's sudden tune around, going from a lonely friendless person, to having the beautiful bestie, a boyfriend and a large group of friends. But as the series progress that honeymoon phase should've worn off, and she should've mellowed, less creepy jokes devoted to Penny, a less head on approach towards Sheldon (that slowly became more forceful as Sheldon's affection for her grew)

But instead she stagnated from the middle of s4 to now, her relationship has progressed minus, and she went sweet and quirky to outright crazy.. So while I believe getting rid of her wouldn't harm the show, I think if Lorre decided to write her off it would be extremely interested in seeing Sheldon's actions after, I think he would just go on like nothing has changed (Bbt isn't the sharpest at doing reprecussion for actions) but it would be amazing to see him regress comepletely back to pre s1 an emotionless psychopath, that would grow towards the s1,2,3 Sheldon

• Like 2

Amy isn't an infection, she's on a short list of ok addictions to the show. I have problems with with her arc, I felt like her 180 from her introduction was way to drastic and way to sudden. Her obsession with Sheldon and Penny was ok at first but has grown more and more creepy as the series progresses. I Was fine when she was in a state of shock with her life's sudden tune around, going from a lonely friendless person, to having the beautiful bestie, a boyfriend and a large group of friends. But as the series progress that honeymoon phase should've worn off, and she should've mellowed, less creepy jokes devoted to Penny, a less head on approach towards Sheldon (that slowly became more forceful as Sheldon's affection for her grew)

But instead she stagnated from the middle of s4 to now, her relationship has progressed minus, and she went sweet and quirky to outright crazy.. So while I believe getting rid of her wouldn't harm the show, I think if Lorre decided to write her off it would be extremely interested in seeing Sheldon's actions after, I think he would just go on like nothing has changed (Bbt isn't the sharpest at doing reprecussion for actions) but it would be amazing to see him regress comepletely back to pre s1 an emotionless psychopath, that would grow towards the s1,2,3 Sheldon

I disagree. I don't think she stagnated. When she was first introduced, I thought she was crazy. She was very childish and had no social skills. Thats changed a lot. She now acts like a normal person and knows how to socialize with people appropriately. Penny and Bernadette no longer get annoyed when talking to her

Edited by thephantom
  • Like 1

I like Amy, even from the beginning.  She was the female version of Sheldon although I never felt she was quite as bad (and i don't mean that in an insulting way).  But I do like the growth she's made.  She is a real asset to the show and also to Sheldon...

• Like 3

I like Amy, actually she is my second favorite character after Sheldon. At the beginning i was ok with Amy and sometimes i found her annoying but in the next seasons she had an amazing development. I have to say that Mayim is an awsome actress. She turn this cold and robotic character into a sweetnees and lovely one. Amy always makes me laught and proves she is "the best girlfriend that sheldon is going to have" pd: sorry for my english :)

• Like 3

@Karen (it's like talking to myself) your English is fine...

I have to say I like Amy better than Sheldon.  While I think that Jim Parsons and the writers have created a very interesting and unique character, he is just not my cup of tea for the most part.  But I do love the dynamic of him and Amy together...

If Sheldon and Amy broke up and she left, I don't think any of the Sheldon purists would like Sheldon afterwards at all. She a huge part of the show and Sheldon's life so she wouldn't be forgotten.  They've been dating for nearly four years, and although Sheldon doesn't care to admit it, he loves her. Losing her would completely screw him up emotionally and it would show in some crazy way, even if he tried his best to cover it up. There's no way he'd go back to being his season 1-3 self easy peasy like nothing happened.

It's far too late for her to leave now and have people be okay with it, even if it was gradual.

Edited by Razberrypie
  • Like 3

If Amy was cut from the show (I can't see it happening anyway), I would stop watching TBBT.

She and her interactions with Sheldon are the reason I kept watching after s3.

This is mostly credit to Mayim and Jim ofcourse.

• Like 1

I disagree. I don't think she stagnated. When she was first introduced, I thought she was crazy. She was very childish and had no social skills. Thats changed a lot. She now acts like a normal person and knows how to socialize with people appropriately. Penny and Bernadette no longer get annoyed when talking to her

That's exactly my problem with Amy. She's way too normal now and hence often "corrects" Sheldon so he gradually becomes normal too. Whereas it should be the other way around: both Amy and Sheldon should have that great interaction like in Season 4 (first half).

• Like 1