The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

What's your opinion of Amy Farrah Fowler?

That's exactly my problem with Amy. She's way too normal now and hence often "corrects" Sheldon so he gradually becomes normal too. Whereas it should be the other way around: both Amy and Sheldon should have that great interaction like in Season 4 (first half).

I though the pinnacle of Sheldon and Amy came in The Herb Garden Germination where they were trying to spread a rumour..

Sheldon : I must say Amy , pretending to have intercourse with you has given me a great deal of satisfaction.

Amy  : Slow down Sheldon , I'm not there yet.

• Like 2

Personally I love Amy. She and Sheldon are my favourite characters of the show. I love their interaction. I also enjoy seeing the characters develop. Imo Amy is hilarious and I am glad they added her (and also Bernadette)!

• Like 2

For better or worse, Amy is too much a part of the show now to get rid of her.  Her departure would cause a wave of emotional breakdowns from half the posters on this site.

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Amy isn't an infection, she's on a short list of ok addictions to the show. I have problems with with her arc, I felt like her 180 from her introduction was way to drastic and way to sudden. Her obsession with Sheldon and Penny was ok at first but has grown more and more creepy as the series progresses. I Was fine when she was in a state of shock with her life's sudden tune around, going from a lonely friendless person, to having the beautiful bestie, a boyfriend and a large group of friends. But as the series progress that honeymoon phase should've worn off, and she should've mellowed, less creepy jokes devoted to Penny, a less head on approach towards Sheldon (that slowly became more forceful as Sheldon's affection for her grew)

But instead she stagnated from the middle of s4 to now, her relationship has progressed minus, and she went sweet and quirky to outright crazy.. So while I believe getting rid of her wouldn't harm the show, I think if Lorre decided to write her off it would be extremely interested in seeing Sheldon's actions after, I think he would just go on like nothing has changed (Bbt isn't the sharpest at doing reprecussion for actions) but it would be amazing to see him regress comepletely back to pre s1 an emotionless psychopath, that would grow towards the s1,2,3 Sheldon

But those attitudes DID mellow, her comments to Penny stopped mid-way through Season 5. We are now mid Season 7. It is not the character that has stagnated it is the views of some people who have put her into that box and are unwilling to realize she has changed, unwilling to really see the character in another way that is not their per-conceived idea of her.

And as much as some would like it, she is not going anywhere, and even if she did, your precious S2 Sheldon will not come back (btw, that precious mid S1-S2 Sheldon was already gone by mid S3, even BEFORE Amy was introduced)

• Like 2

Ooooooh, you're going to make it onto The List.

Oh great! I love lists. I'm sure Amy fans have a sense of humour. Obviously my problem with her comes from the effect she's having on Sheldon,Ie: trying to change him to suit her needs,shuuuddeerrr!!!!! Sheldon is much better as a single entity, in my opinion. Actually I think she should get her own spin-off!

• Like 2

tumblr_mmwhjguVPF1qcqxh7o2_250.giftumblr_mmwhjguVPF1qcqxh7o3_250.gif

x

She already had her own show :p

• Like 2

tumblr_mmwhjguVPF1qcqxh7o2_250.giftumblr_mmwhjguVPF1qcqxh7o3_250.gif

x

She already had her own show :p

haha yeah that was so funny when Jim said that to Mayim :)

But those attitudes DID mellow, her comments to Penny stopped mid-way through Season 5. We are now mid Season 7. It is not the character that has stagnated it is the views of some people who have put her into that box and are unwilling to realize she has changed, unwilling to really see the character in another way that is not their per-conceived idea of her.

And as much as some would like it, she is not going anywhere, and even if she did, your precious S2 Sheldon will not come back (btw, that precious mid S1-S2 Sheldon was already gone by mid S3, even BEFORE Amy was introduced)

He wasn't "precious", just funnier.

• Like 2

I though the pinnacle of Sheldon and Amy came in The Herb Garden Germination where they were trying to spread a rumour..

Sheldon : I must say Amy , pretending to have intercourse with you has given me a great deal of satisfaction.

Amy  : Slow down Sheldon , I'm not there yet.

That was a great episode. My favorite Amy episode was her first date with Sheldon, and Penny had to drive them. They picked her apart like they were dissecting a frog. Very scientific and unemotional. That's the way they should have kept them.

• Like 2

That was a great episode. My favorite Amy episode was her first date with Sheldon, and Penny had to drive them. They picked her apart like they were dissecting a frog. Very scientific and unemotional. That's the way they should have kept them.

Though herb garden was my favourite episode of that season...  this is my favourite old Amy scene...

tumblr_lkt5k8t44I1qf9ojzo1_500.gif

Confidence , arrogance , innocence and most important screamingly funny...and brilliantly acted I might add

Edited by vasu
  • Like 2

He wasn't "precious", just funnier.

I said precious because that is the way I see some Sheldon purists. Like Gollum, caressing their S1 and S2 DVD's, mumbling, until Bilbo (Amy) came long and took it from them. And they hate Amy!Bilbo of course, because she's the thief that took their Precious!Sheldon from them.

• Like 5

The writers can't please everyone.

I'm sure that having Amy develop a friendship with penny and Bernadette opened up more possible story lines. Deadpan Amy who could only be liked by Sheldon would have been very limiting.

• Thanks 1

I like her much better now. The  early Amy was funny in a limited way...the middle one was creepy....but now she is written as a much better character. Regardless of the changes the writers have put her through, nobody could have played the part better than MB.

• Like 3

I actually think she's quite normal compared to Sheldon. I actually think she would be fun to hang around. I think she's only annoying when she's just around girls, but when all of them are in a group I don't think she's any more weird, awkward, annoying or crazy then any of them.

I mean, they are the first real friends she's ever had, while the rest of them has always had friends so her lack of social skills is somewhat more understandable.

Although she's the closest thing to a female Sheldon, intelligence aside I think they're both quite different, from a personality perspective.

• Like 2

I love the Amy character, especially now. When she was first introduced she was too Sheldon-y. Now that she's grown and matured she's much funnier and has a better impact on Sheldon.

• Like 2

Yes, I would probably still like her if she calmed down a bit. I hate to say it but I just feel that her behaviour is limited.

Also, I do worry that if they did gradually write her out, would Sheldon bounce back or not? (I don't think it would be a good move for them to write him as mooning and heartbroken, but given the tone of the show -and particularly Sheldon - at the moment they probably would go down that route again. I just don't want to see him filling the void with cats or something of that ilk for the second time.)

You're probably right and some times she seems more like a maternal guide than a girlfriend but that may be partially due to Sheldon's immaturity. I wish she would challenge him more frequently such as when she argued with him that neuroscience was more sophisticated/valid than theoretical physics. Edited by Thefeynman
  • Like 1

Moonbase - Just as an FYI, it probably isn't logical to make a statement suggesting that you're attacking Amy/Mayim's physical appearance (she's the Gollum? Wow) and then play the victim card when people fight back. Sursonica's statement about Sheldon purists was blanket, and not directed at anyone specifically nor as low a blow as to physical appearance. You bristled at the insult - then swung back with an even dirtier, more below the belt one. If you can't stand the heat, stop adding fuel to the fire.

• Like 6

Obviously all these people who like Sheldon, Amy and Shamy are the uneducated, intellectually challenged masses, Lio. Don't you know? ;)

On a related note, I often hear the claim that Sheldon is the "most unique character" on television and that, as such, should have been preserved in a glass case, never to be played with by the writers. A claim that, admittedly, the writers helped solidify with their mantra that "Sheldon has to remain Sheldon", (whatever that even means, though, as it's incredibly arbitrary). And I have to admit I was also, until recently, giving "Sheldon purists" that point.

But then I stumbled upon Spencer Reed from Criminal Minds while browsing Tumblr. I have to admit I have never watched Criminal Minds, and I'm not going to, but reading up on this guy he sounds like, essentially, almost an identical replica of Sheldon, down to the IQ points. Interestingly though, he was created 2 years before Sheldon. I know there are probably some substantial differences in personality between the two (I'm told Reed is more emotional than Sheldon? And, from what I read, this guy is much less realistic than Sheldon in terms of career and education), but it kind of debunks the idea that Sheldon is such a unique character that needs to be preserved. Not to mention there have been a bunch of other similar characters on television before and after, although rarely in sitcoms, like Bones, Monk, Abed, BBC's Sherlock and so on. And Amy herself, to an extent. 

Of course Sheldon is unique in the same way every person is unique, none of these characters are totally identical. And what I love about the show is that Sheldon is portrayed much more realistically than most of these other characters, because a lot of shows use the excuse of the "quirky genius" simply to gloss over explaining why these people have 473 degrees by the age of 18 and can solve impossible cases, like "genius" is some sort of supernatural ability: you can't be bothered to explain how your character has worked through things to solve a problem or a case that nobody else could? Well, play the genius card! 

While I respect the fact that some people would have preferred Sheldon to stay single or not go through some of the developments he has been going through, the whole "because he's the most unique character on television!" point is kind of weak because, really, he's not all that unique. There's obviously something special about him that made us all (and a great majority of the audience) intrigued by him, either because we relate for various reasons or because he is something unusual, and this also probably has to do with Jim and the way he plays him. But the concept of the "Sheldon-like" character is not exclusive to Sheldon.

Edited by koops
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Let's not enter into an ultimately unprovable debate about whether a comment came from the show or not. The comment was removed then and would be removed now, so it's really a pointless endeavour arguing over it. I have hidden the posts that were about with this issue.

I love her, she's one of my fav characters from the show. frankly she has taught Sheldon how to loosen up alot since she came on the show and im glad they changed her after awhile. It's just so cute to see Sheldon and Amy interact, they love each other and how they show it is just so cute!

• Like 2

Amy much like Bernadette there first appearances they are so different to how they are now. I found both characters on there first dates episodes to be really annoying and both seem to not agree with stuff.

I liked Amy starting with the episode she first hanged out with Penny and Bernadette, thats when I started to like her.

• Like 1