The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

What's your opinion of Amy Farrah Fowler?

I find it funny that at this point, Penny probably knows more about the geek culture than Amy does. Amy might be really intelligent, but she doesn't share the guys' passion for science fiction, comic books, video games, etc. While Penny doesn't either, at least she gets some of if now, thanks to her hanging out with them so much. It's one of the things I'm glad the writers didn't do with her character, which was make her Sheldon's ideal playmate for going to the comic book store, playing video games, etc. It would've made her quite boring and predictable, and too similar to Sheldon.

Penny got infected with Leonard's cootie-nerd-germs, that's why !! :D

But yeah, that is a great post, Aevitas.

I've said it a number of times now, but it's a true big brother/little sister thing Penny and Sheldon share. I love it.

Reminds me a lot of my idiot little sister sometimes.

I completely agree with wayelrob and Aevitas above. It's much nicer - interesting as well as unconventional - to have Penny (the 'normal girl') be the one who has absorbed much more of the geek culture aspect of the nerd guys, while Amy (the 'nerd girl', and similar to Sheldon in many important ways), seems more closed-minded about that aspect and instead gets fascinated by Penny and goes all out to have a 'normal' social life with her. It's quite an intriguing dynamics; doing it the other way round would have been too predictable.

She is seeing what she had given up as possible for her, socially. I think it adds a dimension to the show from a purely female geek point of view.

THIS. It pretty much sums up what I find so fascinating and identifiable about AFF in particular and hence the recent developments in seasons 4 and 5 in general.

I've said it a number of times now, but it's a true big brother/little sister thing Penny and Sheldon share. I love it.

(At the risk of offending Shenny-romance fans) - absolutely. And it's beautiful, always has been and always will be. :) For me, Amy just makes it better because she's yet another 'bridge' between them, in a way. She loves both of them.

@Pomita: I know you've always been a fan of this notion too, Pomita. I think it's a really nice relationship that Penny and Sheldon share both onscreen and offscreen.

Penny got infected with Leonard's cootie-nerd-germs, that's why !! :D

But yeah, that is a great post, Aevitas.

I would see it more of big sister/ little brother

SHENNY SOUNDS BETTER THAN SHAMY. 'tis a good point. :3

I like the sound of Shamy better

Point. I think it flips back and forth, with him being condescending/protective of her sometimes and her being condescending/protective of him sometimes!

agreed, the more it goes the more Sheldon appears as a child stuck into a grown man's body

Well penny is Sheldon's damsel in distress and he's hero hero not sure too many brother/sister thing from that

That was suppose to be her hero

I also think they're mor like each others best friends than brother/sister and two people like normally if venture into a romantic relationship are closer because of that

I did not like Amy at all in the beginning, but when I watched season 4 again from the start, I realized that I actually like her. She and Bernadette are a refreshing addition to the story, but I personally would not like to see Amy and Sheldon together, at least not yet (although Sheldon's "She's not for you" reaction to Leonard having a good time with Amy clearly indicates he has some possesive feelings about her, which could be his freaky way of sensing some romantic attraction). I cannot imagine Sheldon in love. But I do agree with wayelrob that the writers won't be able to resist putting Amy and Sheldon in bed together. I just hope they'll do it so that the show isn't ruined after it happens.

• Like 1

I just hope they'll do it so that the show isn't ruined after it happens.

Why not? They already put Penny and Raj in bed together and that ruined the show for a lot of people. I don't see why they shouldn't continue alienating fans.

Ooooo, bringing back the negativity. Shame on me.

Anyway, as for Amy and Sheldon, I think it would be very good for them to end up together. It would take a long time and a lot of convincing. In fact it would be great for the last show of the series. I can imagine Sheldon coming out of the bedroom with a big smile saying something like "Ah, so THATS what all the fuss is about."

• Like 2

I can't remember where I read it on this forum, but someone mentioned that Sheldon and Amy's relationship will be developing at the pace of paint drying. So, hopefully maybe by the time it actually happens (if it happens), it would actually be believable? I did notice after rewatching Season 4 that Amy is becoming more sociable and hesitantly exploring non-intellectual interactions with her friends. Not to mention there are very subtle hints to the development of "Shamy."

Some examples:

1) The 21-Second Excitation: Amy wants to experience all the "girlfriends" stuff she missed out on in her youth. Not to mention the entire season is peppered with her calling Penny her bestie to establish closeness with her.

2) The Alien Parasite Hypothesis: Pretty obvious in this episode, but aside from the sexual arousal she experienced with Zack, she took a jab at Sheldon asking if he was jealous, to which he actually denied it and left. Then at the end of the episode, she attempts to hold Sheldon's hand.

3) The Herb Garden Fermentation: Sheldon says pretending to have sexual intercourse with Amy gives him a great deal of satisfaction.

4) The Wildebeest Implementation: She goes shopping with the girls and persuades Bernadette to feed the girls information about Leonard and Priya in order to benefit Penny. Now that I think about it, she did mention attempting to chat with strangers and make friends when she was younger, but unfortunately for her, she comes off as unusual and too different from other people to be accepted by them (poor Amy).

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I think the writers are intentionally building Amy's character and her relationship with Sheldon and saving it for a really big finale somewhere down the line.

• Like 1

I can't remember where I read it on this forum, but someone mentioned that Sheldon and Amy's relationship will be developing at the pace of paint drying.

Hopefully they choose the right paint to watch, because some paint dries super quick

I enjoy Amy being on the show but I don't want Sheldon and Amy's relationship moving too fast. I think the rumor (where Amy and Sheldon start a few rumor to see which ones travel faster, e.g. Her and Sheldon having coitus and Her being pregnant with Sheldon's child :icon_lol: ) episode was funny and close enough to them actually doing something.