The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

What's your opinion of Amy Farrah Fowler?

I don't want Sheldon with Amy as an actual girlfriend he doesn't seem attracted to her and she's too much like him you don't date someone who's like you.

cbolt, im confused on your post

where are you actually up to on the show?

Amy isn't like Sheldon anymore..the 2nd half of Season 4 showed that she has changed....

Amy said "my sorta-kinda boyfriend is playing with toy trains, you don't see me bitchin about it"

and also there was that time Raj said hes lonely and he pointed out Sheldon's with Amy

yet Sheldon didn't interject his statement

• Like 1

amy is very much like the lilith character in frasier.

a definite reptilian personality.

sheldon is also very like the reptilian race.

he is even built like one.

i havent seen all the seasons, heck i jsut started watching this show 4 nights ago.

i am a die hard internet surfer but i have absolutley fallen IN LOVE with this show.

it makes me laugh and let me tell U that is very hard to do.

im very much like sheldon though im female.

i identify with his thinking.i even catch myself blurting out what he might say and for the most part im right.

i cant believe a tv show can actually grab my attention but at last it has happened.

the show NEEDS an amy...to balance the male genius.

there are many females who are documented geniuses and we have trouble with social settings.

we need a rule breaker in the group.part of being a genius is resistance to authority.we make our own rules.

Amy said "my sorta-kinda boyfriend is playing with toy trains, you don't see me bitchin about it"

and also there was that time Raj said hes lonely and he pointed out Sheldon's with Amy

yet Sheldon didn't interject his statement

Not to mention in Season 4, episode 21 "The Roommate Agreement,"

when Amy kissed Sheldon, instead of being repulsed, he said, "Fascinating." Compared to the first episode of Season 4, when he mentioned Amy using her saliva to wipe some food from Sheldon's mouth was an action they both regretted, I'd say, surprisingly... they're getting more intimate with each other in their own way.

xD

My second favorite character AND the second best actor, the best is hands down Jim Parsons.

Totally agree with you Schroedinger's cat's!

I also agree with Simonsayz, Amy still has many features in common with Sheldon's character: the intelligence, erudition, the scientific approach to things, practical vision of life, a good deal of arrogance, but she is not a "clone" anymore, she had developed her own personality, interests and goals in life, wich not necessarily are the same as Sheldon's.

I don't know the direction the show is going to take for the "Shamy", but, in my opinion, this is the closest we had ever get to say Sheldon feels attraction for someone, so I neither get the "he seems not attracted to her" part :question:

remember, amy had her brain stimulated something like 150 times, in the sexual arousal area.

i hope sheldon DOES meet a girl he likes.

hes still human and the hormones WILL kick in whether he likes it or not.

an unavoidable, chemical reaction unlike a choice he may make, and boy it will be a doozy.

can U imagine how silly and goofy he would be if he were in love?

but im not ready for him to fall just yet..im still learning about him and his strangle uvula.

:D

I don't know if it has been discussed, but a recent episode in season 5 saw Sheldon chopping Leonard's shoulder after misunderstanding Leonard's dancing injury to be to do with a possible act of 'coitus' (LMAO). He said (from memory) "Not for you Leonard! NOT FOR YOU!"

My wife and me were i hysterics and correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is the first true show of jealousy he has shown over Amy.

Matt

• Like 1

After watching the preview for the next episode tonight, we just might get some more awesome Shamy moments. :D

EDIT: Found this interview between Jim Parsons and Mayim Bialik. At around 5:05, Jim says he is cheering for the Shamy. :D

Oh man, I loooove her! And I liked her throughout the show. It was hilarious as they added her as a female Sheldon clone, and I am also glad that they kept it like that for only a few episodes and than started adding more unique characteristics to her, like her wanting to be one of the girls and being BFF with Penny.

I also really hope that her and Sheldon will engage in coitus one day. At least he may get interested in some experiment!

Thats a pretty interesting interview btw!

• Like 1

My wife thinks Amy has breathed new life into the show. But I'm in two minds. Amy has had some brilliant moments and Big Bang Theory is so far ahead of every other comedy show at the moment that really I'm nitpicking here - but sometimes I don't quite believe in the character - there's something a little contrived, which (strangely!) I don't find with Sheldon or Howard or any of the others. Perhaps the character needs to be rationed. I rewatched some series two recently - and the core ensemble is so perfect. I don't want the original characters to lose too much screen time - even though the show obviously has to develop and on the whole it's been done pretty skilfully. Before Amy, Leonard's mum was the perfect female Sheldon, so I didn't see the need for another one at first, but the way Amy has latched on to Penny has been very funny. Maybe time to rest that idea now though. Series 5 started in the UK this week - great first episode - but during Series 4 I sensed that the tightness, discipline and truth of character from the early episodes might be very slightly waning. I hope not. Really can't wait to see the rest of series 5.

Only having Amy in small amounts is good but to have an episode about a character that's not part of the orginal cast sidetracks the show

I don't mind Amy - in fact I kind of like her - as someone Sheldon could actually have as a "girl who is a friend", but she has too much air-time for me.

I also don't like the fact that her main purpose seems to be to inject sexual inuendo into every conversation. It seems that every second sentance she says has some kind of reference to something sexual.

I'm wondering though if they are turning her into a version of the old Howard. What I mean by this is that Howard used to think he was a ladies man and would always be referencing sex and be totally brazen about his creepiness, but he can't do that anymore now that he is engaged. Amy is now doing that, with the "scientific experiments" that gave her orgasims and the toothbrush issue. And then there is the undercurrent of homosexuality. That used to be Howard and Raj's thing (and it still is to a lesser degree) but Amy is constantly making comments about hooking up with Penny. Even Bernadette and Penny show a certain amount of unease at some of Amy's commnets.

I just have to say that I was starting to get a little annoyed with Sheldon for a few season 5 episodes. I was just starting to wonder if he really was a robot...

And then Episode 8 came along and Amy had that little meltdown about bridesmaid dresses, and conned Sheldon into cuddling with her. I feel like, for all Amy's faults and awkwardness as a character, she's really been introduced so that Sheldon's character is forced into some uncomfortable growth. I mean, there's not really much tension in the show if Leonard and Penny get together, Howard and Bernadette get married, and then Sheldon and Raj keep on keepin on.

I think she adds a little bit of awkward tension in Sheldon's life, and bridges the gap between Penny and geekdom with her efforts to become socialized.

Plus, she plays the harp, and I feel like she's changing the harpist stereotype. I've played the harp for 14 years and I know a few Amy-ish geeks out there that do too. I would be very disappointed in the show if she got cut.

I love Amy. Her character had evolved beautifully and with so much dimension. I think that has a lot to do with Mayik (sp?) and her impeccable comedic timing. Much of the writing is great but she really adds a great dimension to all the other characters she interacts with. That said, I'm not sure if I'd want to see Amy 24/7, that would be too much and might make us tired of her. Sometimes i feel like I need a break from Sheldon. He's amazing but it can be a bit much. There, I've said too much.

How do we feel about Leonard?

I agree with you in regards to Leonard, the character that has changed the most is Leonard, he went from Geek to buff. He rarely says anything that reminds us that he has a "beautiful mind". I find Amy hilarious,she has had a sad life, very lonely and she has found some friends, both similar and very different to her, she is learning from Penny and Bernadette all the time. Amy has the funniest lines and Mayim delivers them perfectly. I think Jim and Mayim both have brilliant comedic timing, and bounce so well off each other. Besides Sheldon's needs someone on his side, all the other characters are against him for the most, Amy doesn't always agree with Sheldon, but she is never mean to him or cruel, which the other characters can at times be. She is the one person that Sheldon respects.

• Like 1

I like the developing relationship between Sheldon and Amy, but I don't think Amy (or Bernadette for that matter) should have quite so much screen time and I definitely don't like all the sexual comments that Amy keeps making around the other girls.

I just saw the recent episode 5x08? last night where Amy has a meltdown. Up until that point I was hoping for Amy ONLY in small doses because after the first few episodes with her guest starring, she really was getting tiring.

Now I really find Amy annoying. For starters, she's over the top desperate. She's supposed to be smart but every time she suggests any relationship with Sheldon he shows absolutely no interest. And yet, she doesn't take the hint? I don't see her character and Sheldon together. They're way too similar. But that's only a small part of it. I find her annoying on her own. From the scenes she's with everyone as a group or to the scenes with her with Bernadette and Penny.

What they should do on the show is have Amy do research in another city then meet someone. That way it'd be a nice ending to her character and Sheldon can still keep his friend long distance (as long as we don't have to be subjected to her).

With that said, I think Mayim is a good actress. I just don't like her character. She's like an annoying and dull version of Sheldon. But at least with Sheldon he's interesting when he talks and he's funny when he's whining. He's never 'annoying'.

She is more social than sheldon and a little bit more creepyer than sheldon.

I don't know if this has been said before but leonard's mom is more of a female sheldon than amy is.

I like how she calls Penny "besty".

I feel like that's true, Leonard's mom is way more of a female Sheldon. But at the same time, I see Amy as a version of Sheldon that's trying to become more social. I mean, the super awkward kid usually makes weird comments until they figure out how to interact with the larger social group...right? Howard's sort of grown up in that way, and become less of a fifth wheel to the others. I'm actually very excited for the Relationship Agreement to come into effect in later episodes. I feel like the show could have a lot of great moments hiding in there.

She's still getting too much screentime at the expense of Howard and Raj. I realise that characters need to develop, but bring back the core 5. It's like giving way too much time to a 7th character in Friends. Yes, you can have the support characters by all means, but to have a story revolve around one of them is not right imho.