The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

What's your opinion of Amy Farrah Fowler?

...There has been a gay subtext underlying the show from the start. Although it does make me curious. Why hasn't anyone complained about the much longer standing subtext between Raj & Howard? And please don't tell because that one is funnier. Talk about stale, that theme has been stagnating for 5 years now.

...as for raj and Howard neither one was coming onto the other like penny and it's wasn't every episode and you never got the feeling that it could actually happen.

All beside the point. The point is, the jokes were lame. Or are you suggesting the Sheldon has wood jokes are of superior quality to the Pamy lesbian jokes?

I think all of the jokes you mentioned were lame, but did you ever get the feeling that raj was in love with Howard or visa versa as we get with Amy towards penny and raj/Howard was as constant even though I thought they didn't to stop if both characters are going to be straight which they are, I thought the Sheldon wood "jokes" is the dumbest thing ever it's like the handed over the writing to 7th or 8th grade boys, and I cringe everytime there's a penny/Amy scence because it'll have a lesbian joke, and then a lewd comment wearing Amy is coming onto penny and then penny is super uncomfortable.

That "wood" scene was all fabricated in Leonard's mind in that episode, don't forget. So technically, it never happened, that's just Leonard's portrayal of their interactions in his own mind. Frankly, it helps me deal with it a little better remembering that fact.

Now, back on topic to Amy? That's what the thread is supposed to be about.

That "wood" scene was all fabricated in Leonard's mind in that episode, don't forget. So technically, it never happened, that's just Leonard's portrayal their interactions in his own mind. Frankly, it helps me deal with it a little better remembering that fact.

I guess remember it was in leonard's would make it better to deal with but wouldn't leonard's dream mind not go there now if it was Howard I could see him going there.

I loved Amy at the start. After this ep , I went back and looked at se04 ep01 , her first main one. An excellent episope. Sadly for Amy, IMHO it was gradually downhill all the way after that.

I like Amy. I liked discovering that the show had not just one but two aspie characters, and soon started exploring the differences between them. Amy is not just a female Sheldon but her own character. She is my second favorite character after Sheldon, and Amy-centered scenes without Sheldon are almost as much fun to watch as Sheldon-centered scenes.

That said -- Amy just doesn't feel to me as organic a character as Sheldon.

Amy seems like a well-written and well-acted character. But Sheldon feels like a character who developed organically. Like. sometimes novelists talk about characters who develop a will of their own. Sheldon has that quality to me. Especially since I keep reading that the writers don't want him to be aspie, they deny he is an aspie, I have even heard that they want to change him so that people will quit seeing him as an aspie -- they remind me of parents in denial, "My child could not have that awful affliction!" And "Sheldon, we are going to teach you some social skills so you won't be such an obvious aspie."

Even if they try to change him to make him less aspie. it will still be beautiful. Sheldon will still be who he is no matter what his "parents" say. And already lots of aspies are watching the show and taking Sheldon as a role model. They will identify with his process as he learns hpw to fit in. Aspies can acquire social skills, like people with no musical talent can learn to play a musical instrument if they work hard enough at it. I love the scenes in which either Sheldon or Amy tries to follow rules of social skills they have learned about somewhere. It is beautiful and funny to watch both Sheldon and Amy work on acquiring social skills. I appreciate both Sheldon and Amy as aspie characters and I love the way the show delineates differences between them, so that they don't seem like they come out of the same cookie-cutter.

But Amy seems a teensy bit contrived -- not more contrived than the typical sitcom character -- yet to me she somehow just doesn't feel as organic as Sheldon does.

But I appreciate her. She is a great character.

I like Amy. I liked discovering that the show had not just one but two aspie characters, and soon started exploring the differences between them. Amy is not just a female Sheldon but her own character. She is my second favorite character after Sheldon, and Amy-centered scenes without Sheldon are almost as much fun to watch as Sheldon-centered scenes.

That said -- Amy just doesn't feel to me as organic a character as Sheldon.

Amy seems like a well-written and well-acted character. But Sheldon feels like a character who developed organically. Like. sometimes novelists talk about characters who develop a will of their own. Sheldon has that quality to me. Especially since I keep reading that the writers don't want him to be aspie, they deny he is an aspie, I have even heard that they want to change him so that people will quit seeing him as an aspie -- they remind me of parents in denial, "My child could not have that awful affliction!" And "Sheldon, we are going to teach you some social skills so you won't be such an obvious aspie."

Even if they try to change him to make him less aspie. it will still be beautiful. Sheldon will still be who he is no matter what his "parents" say. And already lots of aspies are watching the show and taking Sheldon as a role model. They will identify with his process as he learns hpw to fit in. Aspies can acquire social skills, like people with no musical talent can learn to play a musical instrument if they work hard enough at it. I love the scenes in which either Sheldon or Amy tries to follow rules of social skills they have learned about somewhere. It is beautiful and funny to watch both Sheldon and Amy work on acquiring social skills. I appreciate both Sheldon and Amy as aspie characters and I love the way the show delineates differences between them, so that they don't seem like they come out of the same cookie-cutter.

But Amy seems a teensy bit contrived -- not more contrived than the typical sitcom character -- yet to me she somehow just doesn't feel as organic as Sheldon does.

But I appreciate her. She is a great character.

It's nice to hear some positive comments. I had wondered if the aspengers comparisons had been a catalyst for changing Sheldon. Jim is so perfect in this role, that the writers shaped the character around his natural ability to play him. It would be difficult for anyone to compare to this.

I agree with your points over Amy. Mayim is playing her much better now, at the beginning it wasn't there. She mentioned in interviews she is learning a lot from Jim and looks to him for guidance. I also enjoy watching them in interviews together, they get on so great.

• Like 1

That "wood" scene was all fabricated in Leonard's mind in that episode, don't forget. So technically, it never happened, that's just Leonard's portrayal of their interactions in his own mind. Frankly, it helps me deal with it a little better remembering that fact.

Technically it never happened. Realistically I wish it had never been WRITTEN!

...There has been a gay subtext underlying the show from the start. Although it does make me curious. Why hasn't anyone complained about the much longer standing subtext between Raj & Howard? And please don't tell because that one is funnier. Talk about stale, that theme has been stagnating for 5 years now.

...as for raj and Howard neither one was coming onto the other like penny and it's wasn't every episode and you never got the feeling that it could actually happen.

All beside the point. The point is, the jokes were lame. Or are you suggesting the Sheldon has wood jokes are of superior quality to the Pamy lesbian jokes?

I think all of the jokes you mentioned were lame, but did you ever get the feeling that raj was in love with Howard or visa versa as we get with Amy towards penny and raj/Howard was as constant even though I thought they didn't to stop if both characters are going to be straight which they are, I thought the Sheldon wood "jokes" is the dumbest thing ever it's like the handed over the writing to 7th or 8th grade boys, and I cringe everytime there's a penny/Amy scence because it'll have a lesbian joke, and then a lewd comment wearing Amy is coming onto penny and then penny is super uncomfortable.

I don't understand why whether or not it could actually happen would change the quality of the humor? Your reasoning is as strange as a symbolic tunnel linking my front yard to your backyard. But maybe that's my fault. Ill tell ya what Cbolt, to make up for it, why don't I buy you something pretty then you & I can spend the afternoon at the La Brea Tar Pits. Just you & I!

I have mixed feelings about Amy. When not hitting on Penny I find her funny and a good female partner for Sheldon. Overall I find myself feeling sorry for her because she hasn't a real clue on many interpersonal relationships while at the same time she annoys the heck out of me because she doesn't pickup on the signs that Penny gives out that she doesn't appreciate Amy's advances.

I like Amy a lot, especially last season. Anytime she and Sheldon are interacting, I think it is hilarious. Especially the scene where she was telling him how to do a neck massage.

I do not like the lesbian stuff, however, and I do not like how they are making Amy look so insecure. I miss the old Amy.

There was a great opportunity in the last episode for character growth for Amy. If Penny had just told Amy toward the end of the episode that the painting made her uncomfortable, and explained to her why it was too forward but hat it didn't mean she didn't want to be friends, then I think it would have been good for Amy's character to make that realization and it would help her self esteem. But, instead, Penny lied to her and they put the painting back up, and Amy goes back to being delusional about Penny. Shame on the writers for missing the opportunity to put this whole lesbian thing to rest and go on to something better. My opinion, anyway!

• Like 1

I agree with Paula. Amy is a wonderful foil for Sheldon at this time, making him evolve in intriguing and unpredictable ways, but I don't think that the character can ever reach the pinnacle of perfection that is Sheldon.

It's nice to hear some positive comments. I had wondered if the aspengers comparisons had been a catalyst for changing Sheldon. Jim is so perfect in this role, that the writers shaped the character around his natural ability to play him. It would be difficult for anyone to compare to this.

I agree with your points over Amy. Mayim is playing her much better now, at the beginning it wasn't there. She mentioned in interviews she is learning a lot from Jim and looks to him for guidance. I also enjoy watching them in interviews together, they get on so great.

It is good to see them together - they seem to have a great intellectual connection even in real life.

• Like 1

amy is terrible while mayim bialik is a good character i can no think of a tv character i dislike more

Another episode, another lesbian come on to Penny. Yawn.

Paint her face green and she looks just like the wicked witch from the

Wizard of Oz.

plus I felt like there either was a scence missing or an episode that prompted her to say that.

Stuart explains to Leonard exactly what happened. She called out Leonard's name, not Stuarts.

you need to reread my comment I said it felt like there either is a missing scence or episode that prompted her to do that.

You need to rewrite your comments so people can understand them.

I'm not sure how this is hard to understand or how much I can dumb it down.

I like Amy a lot, especially last season. Anytime she and Sheldon are interacting, I think it is hilarious. Especially the scene where she was telling him how to do a neck massage.

I do not like the lesbian stuff, however, and I do not like how they are making Amy look so insecure. I miss the old Amy.

There was a great opportunity in the last episode for character growth for Amy. If Penny had just told Amy toward the end of the episode that the painting made her uncomfortable, and explained to her why it was too forward but hat it didn't mean she didn't want to be friends, then I think it would have been good for Amy's character to make that realization and it would help her self esteem. But, instead, Penny lied to her and they put the painting back up, and Amy goes back to being delusional about Penny. Shame on the writers for missing the opportunity to put this whole lesbian thing to rest and go on to something better. My opinion, anyway!

That would've been great not just for Amy but penny as well and to end the lesbian comments, but I guess the writers feel they need lesbian comments in the show for it to be funny even though it takes away from the episode. But also penny did try but Amy didn't want to listen.

I noticed no where to be seen amy's painting, yeah.

I loved the scene with amy and sheldon together last night. I find amy's frustration with him so funny. It doesn't bother me like it does when she does it with penny. I posted this in another place, but I am now hoping that the whole thing with penny is just part of her frustration with sheldon. I have a feeling they might be leading up to something happening between her and sheldon, especially since they are changing sheldon some too lately. I hope so, and then maybe the lesbian stuff will end!

That's why I think they'll break up sheldon's just not that interested so you come on to someone even if that's not your sexual orientation.

I don't care for her because she's too stereotypical. Bernadette is a much better character -- smart, cute, strong, but still sweet. OMMV.

I still think that Amy basically pushed her way into a relationship with Sheldon. He wasn't interested then, isn't interested now. I know people will disagree but it seems to me more that he just didn't want to lose a good friend so he decided to just call her his girl-friend.

With that said, I think it would be nice to see Sheldon REALLY interested in a girl for once (just not Amy). He may or may not act on his feelings but at least it would be nice to see.

I still think that Amy basically pushed her way into a relationship with Sheldon. He wasn't interested then, isn't interested now. I know people will disagree but it seems to me more that he just didn't want to lose a good friend so he decided to just call her his girl-friend.

With that said, I think it would be nice to see Sheldon REALLY interested in a girl for once (just not Amy). He may or may not act on his feelings but at least it would be nice to see.

Well I don't disagree with you they might look cute together but the way he acts you can tell he's not interested in the way Amy is and why I can see them breaking up soon when he won't give her what she wants and I'd like too see him in a relationship where he's interested in her and being in a relationship with her, for a long time he refered to her as a friend that's a girl maybe the group should've believed him and it felt Amy forced him into one and penny pushed him into that direction after he asked her out and thinking he only asked her out to make Amy jealous and thinking he really is interested in Amy but doesn't want to admit it, and thinking the only way to keep her as a friend he has to be in a romantic one with her.

How can anyone say Amy pushed Sheldon into a relationship? Stuart asked her out, she didn't rush off and tell Sheldon, he came to her. From the moment he found out, he did everything he could to intervene. There was no reason for him to do any of this. They could have just stayed as they were. When a guy doesn't want another guy to touch a woman it's a pretty clear sign in my book.

Sheldon can't express himself physically but he's very taken with her. He let's her get away with 'murder', breaking the agreement by kissing him and whenever she does anything he doesn't like he blames it on Penny. Like her gossiping or talking about bridesmaid dresses.

• Like 2

For one Penny pushed him in that direction, not sure what murder Amy gets away with or all this kissing Amy is doing with Sheldon or all these things he blames on Penny.

I don't see how anyone could "push" Sheldon into any type of a relationship with Amy unless he wanted to go there. Penny doesn't have a shotgun and Sheldon can be very Obstinate when he wants to. I think that Penny realized that Sheldon did want to do something about it, he just realize it and wouldn't know what to do about it if he did. When it comes to emotions and personal interactions Sheldon is dumber then dirt and Penny is the closest thing to a genius in that department that the group has even though she has problems in that department herself. At least when she has those problems she knows or quickly finds out what the solution is.

I do not see Amy leaving anytime soon if ever. She is perfect for Sheldon with the exception of lady love for Penny. She is more aware of her physical urges then Sheldon is, but I think that the writers are hinting that Sheldon is starting to go in that direction, he just doesn't know it.

• Like 1

I don't see how anyone could "push" Sheldon into any type of a relationship with Amy unless he wanted to go there. Penny doesn't have a shotgun and Sheldon can be very Obstinate when he wants to. I think that Penny realized that Sheldon did want to do something about it, he just realize it and wouldn't know what to do about it if he did. When it comes to emotions and personal interactions Sheldon is dumber then dirt and Penny is the closest thing to a genius in that department that the group has even though she has problems in that department herself. At least when she has those problems she knows or quickly finds out what the solution is.

I do not see Amy leaving anytime soon if ever. She is perfect for Sheldon with the exception of lady love for Penny. She is more aware of her physical urges then Sheldon is, but I think that the writers are hinting that Sheldon is starting to go in that direction, he just doesn't know it.

I'm not sure what you call what Penny did then she steered him in that direction after he asked her out she said no thinking he wanted to make Amy jealous and convinced him to go after amy after she talked to him Penny is the one for the most part gotten him to do things he normally might not have.

Well if she and Sheldon broke up what would keep her on and I don't see her on the rest of the series just hanging out.

Yeah, he's too wilful to be pushed by anyone. I never considered Sheldon was serious asking Penny out! Do you think he was? Because that's scary!

Yeah, he's too wilful to be pushed by anyone. I never considered Sheldon was serious asking Penny out! Do you think he was? Because that's scary!

Yeah I think he was serious about asking out penny or at least to make Amy jealous not sure what's so scary about that, Penny has pushed him or made him do things he useually might not have done.