How gaming is portrayed on TV

This is a segment from our local video show highlighting how video games are portrayed in cinema and on tv.

It was particularly satisfying to see that BBT got a mention and the writers were credited with "doing their homework" with regards to accurately portraying (in this case) World Of Warcraft.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/video/default.htm?src=/tv/goodgame/video/xml/20111011_2030.xml&item=06

click on Episode 36 (dated Oct 11, 2011) and then click on "Feature Story: Games in other media"

I lol'd at Dexter playing Halo 3 on PC without a mouse :D

I saw a clip from Misfits S2EP1 in one of the tiles in the background. I guess for people who enjoy creating chaos in games like GTA, that bat-crap insane dude was portrayed fairly accurately. I'm just glad that we don't have crazy bastards running around the real world looking for Conti and killing everyone in their path for extra points.

The (now banned) PC game "Postal" was based on the sad fact that a lot of US postal workers lose it and go on shooting sprees. Hence the term "Going Postal"

My brother emailed the creator of the game once. The letter that he got back was very very disturbing. That guy has issues ><

Oh...god. My brother may have had a copy that I may have played once or twice. I think there's two different games, the one I played was called Apocalyptic Weekend or something like that, after the main character suffers a head injury. At certain stages, he sees the world differently, like in Silent Hill, only more screwed up. I've never been so scared in my life.

I think the portrayal of WoW on TBBT is a joke. WoW is really for the mainstream(hipster, shallow, fake) geek culture that exists today.

Every time I hear somebody try to convince me how "leet" and modern they are because they play WoW, Xbox, or own an Apple product I am filled with rage.

Also on the lame list

1. Halo

2. CoD

3. EQ

4. GoW

@SD70: WoW itself is a brilliant game. Unfortunately, like ALL MMORPG communities, there is that one group that like to tell you how good they are and what equips to use.

It's everywhere. I play numerous MMOs and am yet to find one that doesn't have some form of leetistism on it.

Well fulk them. I'm being leetist on The Sims 2 with all the mods I have, notable ones including the Inteenimater and a few other mods.

The plumbob is my idol, my diamond above my head, MY ONLY RELIABLE METHOD OF TELLING THE WORLD HOW I FEEL... and it's shows I'm the currently active Sim in this neighborhood!

• 3 weeks later...

@SD70Ace, I hear you and somehow couldn't agree more. Still, if it's too obscure and watchers can't relate or know someone who relates to the game, it's a miss. This is the big deal with shows like TBBT : make them too nerdy and they're cancelled. Make them not nerdy at all and they lose their shticks. It's quite a tough job for writers to keep it all balanced.

I hate the "halo 3 night" (which they're not abiding to any longer btw) especially when they put it right when the game was out. It just doesn't add up with the kinda nerds they are (esp. sheldon).

The only geeks who use consoles are those who tweak them (which isn't the case of our guys).

@Netmouse : what better way to show how gamers are protrayed on TV than a show about gamers : the cool one season PURE PWNAGE (sometimes canadians are a hoot too)

I love the Breaking Bad excerpt on your link. Badger's explanation is so true.

BBT portrays gaming very well. The geeks game seriously, but still are having fun.

In movies, it is usually silly, with people stopping gaming without saving, and so on. Or shutting the game by switching of their PC. I mean what the heck, you could mess up your OS that way!

I have a Retron...3 in one game system that plays Nintendo ole skool (blow in that cartridge!) Sega Genisis (Pirates! anyone?) and SNES (The 3 Star Wars games AND of course Mario Kart!)

WOW and those MMORPGs are for the nerd and dorks...not geeks. My cousin plays WOW and man, that dude is like a Meth addict