The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.06 The Rhinitis Revelation

@Jacks: I still love that the boy's apartment front door has the solid steel key lock on it from the break in during season 3.

Worst episode of the season, not funny at all. Sheldon is an overbearing crackpot and his mother is a ignorant racist. We got that already thanks.

@Flash: different actors are going to have different vocal ranges. I prefer Penny's rendition of "Soft Kitty", however, the way Mary Cooper sings it is how I remember it being sung when I was a kid.

Only trivia but I'm not talking about range, key, or octave. The second and fourth notes are different and they wouldn't be. I'd never heard it until TBBT so I don't know which version is correct. The point is that Sheldon and his Mother would sing it exactly the same way as he learned it from her.

Last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory finished first in its slot and matched its previous Thursday high in the key adults 18-49 demographic. The Big Bang Theory was the highest rated and most watched show on Thursday for the fifth week running.

"The Rhinitis Revelation", with guest star Laurie Metcalf, was watched by 14.69 million people, the second largest audience the show has had on Thursdays. The show finished first in households with an 8.9/15 rating and scored a 4.9/15 rating in the coveted 18-49 demo, matching its highest Thursday rating in the demographic. Compared to last week, the show was up three tenths of a point in the 18-49 demo and added 1.1 million viewers. The Big Bang Theory finished first in households, viewers, adults 25-54 and adults 18-49.

tripper

where do you get your rating numbers?

i get mine from Wikipedia and some are different than your numbers.

i want to be sure my numbers are correct

I admit it, I laughed. I love Sheldon's mother and have since the first season. She is a great character and has always said rather outrageous things. Certainly evened the score for the Russians, I agree. She pretty much insulted everyone. Still I am not offended by that kind of humor, and wouldn't be watching this show if I were.

I guess we just have to get used to the fact that the writing staff/producers have decided to go back to their original idea for Penny, from the unused pilot. They are determined, it seems, that she is a drunken slut. I am used to Penny's promiscuity as subtext, but making it part of the main plot just seems like character assassination. I got, "they don't always get to ride the roller coaster." What the heck does, "spinning the tea cups," mean? And, she was looking for wine in the church. What part of Nebraska did she come from?

I didn't find Sheldon's encounter with the guy in a suit particularly funny, but did find it out of character for Sheldon to actually sit on that bench. This is a guy who has bus pants.

I had never really thought too much about Penny being promiscuous until the word was actually used in this episode.

@Flash: I guess I didn't take into account that the "true Sheldon" would be sure to methodically nail the Soft Kitty song tone for tone as his mother sang it.

Last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory finished first in its slot and matched its previous Thursday high in the key adults 18-49 demographic. The Big Bang Theory was the highest rated and most watched show on Thursday for the fifth week running.

"The Rhinitis Revelation", with guest star Laurie Metcalf, was watched by 14.69 million people, the second largest audience the show has had on Thursdays. The show finished first in households with an 8.9/15 rating and scored a 4.9/15 rating in the coveted 18-49 demo, matching its highest Thursday rating in the demographic. Compared to last week, the show was up three tenths of a point in the 18-49 demo and added 1.1 million viewers. The Big Bang Theory finished first in households, viewers, adults 25-54 and adults 18-49.

tripper

where do you get your rating numbers?

i get mine from Wikipedia and some are different than your numbers.

i want to be sure my numbers are correct

The ratings on Wikipedia are probably the adjusted, final ratings which come out later in the day. The ratings posted on the site as news are the fast ratings. We add the final ones to the episode guide and they usually should match the Wikipedia ones.

I got, "they don't always get to ride the roller coaster." What the heck does, "spinning the tea cups," mean?

Boobies.

boobies... giggle :D Took me a minute to register what it meant too.

Might be worth re-watching the Adhesive Duck ep and comparing Sheldon's singing of "Soft Kitty" to that of his mother.

I know that during the duck ep, Sheldon sings 'the round' in a lower register to Penny. Maybe it matches up in tone to his mother's version too ?

However, yes, the "true Sheldon" would have corrected Penny ages ago for not singing it exactly like his mother does.

And, she was looking for wine in the church. What part of Nebraska did she come from?

Little unsure of what you're asking here. Are you asking why would they have wine in church, wayel?

Here in Australia it is standard to receive both the eucharist and wine at communion.

Regardless, the Catholic church celebrant always takes wine during the service so there would always be a bottle of the stuff in the rectory. (I am assuming that the gang were visiting a Catholic church in this episode.)

From wiki, the religious breakdown of Nebraska: The religious affiliations of the people of Nebraska are: 90% Christian. Of this 90%:

Catholic – 28%; Lutheran – 16%; Methodist – 11%

@Jacks: I still love that the boy's apartment front door has the solid steel key lock on it from the break in during season 3.

Oh I have to see episode again to pay better attention as I didn't notice that detail ;)

I got, "they don't always get to ride the roller coaster." What the heck does, "spinning the tea cups," mean?

Boobies.

Giggles along, I thought she meant they got to second base, which is also boobies :icon_cheesygrin:

Might be worth re-watching the Adhesive Duck ep and comparing Sheldon's singing of "Soft Kitty" to that of his mother.

I know that during the duck ep, Sheldon sings 'the round' in a lower register to Penny. Maybe it matches up in tone to his mother's version too ?

However, yes, the "true Sheldon" would have corrected Penny ages ago for not singing it exactly like his mother does.

And, she was looking for wine in the church. What part of Nebraska did she come from?

Little unsure of what you're asking here. Are you asking why would they have wine in church, wayel?

Here in Australia it is standard to receive both the eucharist and wine at communion.

Regardless, the Catholic church celebrant always takes wine during the service so there would always be a bottle of the stuff in the rectory. (I am assuming that the gang were visiting a Catholic church in this episode.)

From wiki, the religious breakdown of Nebraska: The religious affiliations of the people of Nebraska are: 90% Christian. Of this 90%:

Catholic – 28%; Lutheran – 16%; Methodist – 11%

No, I know there is wine in the church. Not very wholesome country girl of her, looking to drink it, though. Sorry, I guess I am having difficulty with the direction they have obviously decided to take Penny's character.

I always enjoy a new episode but have to agree that Sheldons mum is better in small doses. sheldon looked cute though all wet and soggy from the rain x

...What the heck does, "spinning the tea cups," mean? ...

My goodness gracious...

Playing with the mammary glands...

Can't we find something more interesting to talk about besides bloody ratings? I dunno, say, the actual episode?

While the ratings don't affect your personal appreciation of any specific episode, they have a definite effect on the direction of the show and therefore affect how much you may enjoy future shows. The only reason they changed the show in the first place was because the ratings were going down over season 4 and they felt they had to do something.

This season it was looking as if the ratings were going down from their initial high, but The Rhinitis Revelation may have reversed that trend. We'll have to see. If the ratings ever get back up to the season three levels then the show will continue as is. If the ratings go down you can expect more changes - more sexual innuendo ("they don't always get to ride the roller coaster", "spinning the tea cups" - barf) and more ridiculous nerd behavior (an N gauge locomotive in his mouth? Really?) - perhaps next it will be Sheldon in a balloon hat and clown nose. I don't even want to speculate on what they would do with Penny's character. Lets hope it doesn't go there.

Unfortunately, with the changes they have made to the characters, I can't imagine how they could ever get back to the season 3 dynamic when the ratings were highest. They seem to have also decided not to do any more science based jokes. You never hear classics like the "spherical chickens in a vacuum" or "h-iggs bow-zone par-tickle" anymore.

Can't we find something more interesting to talk about besides bloody ratings? I dunno, say, the actual episode?

Boy, have I got news for you. Ratings are the only thing that matters!

Tripper never used to post episode ratings until 4of N put the rating trend bar at the bottom of all his posts.

They can spin it all they want, but there is no doubt about it, the trend is down. Are they worried? You bet your sweet bippy they are! They are stuck with 3 more years of this garbage.

My personal opinion is that the recent ratings bump is like people slowing down to gawk at a car wreck, once they realize that the damage has already been done and only cleanup is going on they will move along.

I won't comment on the episode, because I didn't watch it.

I think I will pass on the Kool-aid, thank you very much.

I see generally the episodes in spanish, but they aren't traslated yet, therefore I am watching in english. In spite of it, this episode is the worst of all!

Tripper never used to post episode ratings until 4of N put the rating trend bar at the bottom of all his posts.

Ummm... sorry to correct you here, but Tripper has been posting episode ratings as far back as Season One.

I stand corrected. They stopped posting ratings somewhere in season 2 and only resumed for season 5, What I should have said was:

"The ratings were not posted when they were declining"

I think my point is still valid. 4ofN has used ratings from all the episodes to show the declining trend and they are trying to counter that by resurrecting something they stopped doing years ago.

When the ratings drop they won't be crowing about that.

Still no Kool-aid for me, thank you.

Wow, I actually LIKED this episode...the continuity of the lock, the sword, the rubik's cube...and "I'm not crazy my mother had me tested."

The zippy one liners by Sheldon, Mary and Howard.

The back to honest nice guy for Leonard

Small parts for Raj and Amy as plot points only (please keep it that way)

Even with the writers apparent hatred of Christianity (did I call that or what) Mary had great lines coming straight from TX "Hoot and a half" "Could hunt geese with a rake" and the gunning for God line...classic

This goes as the best episode in a weak season so far

I stand corrected. They stopped posting ratings somewhere in season 2 and only resumed for season 5, What I should have said was:

"The ratings were not posted when they were declining"

I think my point is still valid. 4ofN has used ratings from all the episodes to show the declining trend and they are trying to counter that by resurrecting something they stopped doing years ago.

When the ratings drop they won't be crowing about that.

Still no Kool-aid for me, thank you.

Admittedly, posting of the ratings on the forum has been patchy, but they have always been posted on the main site: http://the-big-bang-theory.com/archives/tag/ratings/ There are a couple of episodes in the first season that were missed, but otherwise you can find ratings going all the way back.

They're being posted on the forums now simply because I'm trying to make the forums better and, so far, I've actually remembered to post them. All I'm doing is copying and pasting what I post on the main site anyway. Good or bad, up or down, the ratings will certainly be posted on the main site.

@ white knight who's the other catholic besides Bernadette,

I guess we now know where Sheldon gets his blunt right to the point personality from, I'm also getting tired of making Sheldon act like a child yes he has childish hobbies and what not but so do the other guys and they don't act like that, Sheldon is a genius with a off the charts IQ yet they want to protray him like he's an overgrown kid who's trapped in his childhood, yes he might had much of one since he was college at age 11 his doing though.

I didn't think the episode was that bad, it wasn't great, but I liked it more than the first 3 episodes of this season. Sheldon's mom is funny, but I do agree with Hex, the writers need to cool down with the stereotypical comments.

Raj needs to stop crying about being alone, I'm starting to find him very annoying. Damn, I sure miss non speaking Raj from the first 3 seasons, he was funnier back then.

@Sword: agreed, Raj needs to get back to his "Harpo Marx" status asap.

The only person who does "drunk 24/7" well is Charlie Sheen.