The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.06 The Rhinitis Revelation

After watching this again (the reruns for last night are on the cbs web site right now), I am struck with how much sheldon wants and needs a mother figure in his life. That is why he needed penny to sing soft kitty and be a mother figure for him. It is interesting that he relates to Amy on an intellectual level, and it is completely different from how he relates to his mom and penny. I wonder if Amy started being more mother like with her personality, if that would send sheldon over the edge and he would like her even more. Would a scene with sheldon's mom bonding with amy and teaching her how to cook be interesting? She could learn how to make the fried chicken and pecan pie. :)

And, who else just loved the scene of sheldon with the man on the park bench?

This episode said a lot about sheldon starting to realize that his emotional side is the same as everyone else.

Well that's what Sheldon needs someone like his mother, caring and sweet that will sing him soft kitty. Now if they all of a sudden having Amy do this people will see right through it, it'll be an act and changing Amy into someone she's not, this is why I don't give her and Sheldon a chance long term they're to alike and he needs someone that's like his mother or atleast like penny.

After watching this again (the reruns for last night are on the cbs web site right now), I am struck with how much sheldon wants and needs a mother figure in his life. That is why he needed penny to sing soft kitty and be a mother figure for him. It is interesting that he relates to Amy on an intellectual level, and it is completely different from how he relates to his mom and penny. I wonder if Amy started being more mother like with her personality, if that would send sheldon over the edge and he would like her even more. Would a scene with sheldon's mom bonding with amy and teaching her how to cook be interesting? She could learn how to make the fried chicken and pecan pie. :)

This episode said a lot about sheldon starting to realize that his emotional side is the same as everyone else.

Well that's what Sheldon needs someone like his mother, caring and sweet that will sing him soft kitty. Now if they all of a sudden having Amy do this people will see right through it, it'll be an act and changing Amy into someone she's not, this is why I don't give her and Sheldon a chance long term they're to alike and he needs someone that's like his mother or atleast like penny.

Well, I don't know; they have changed Amy a lot since they had her on. Sheldon has really strong feelings for his mother, and the scenes where he fought with his mother reminded me of scenes with penny. Not that he has the same amount of feelings for penny, but they are similar in a platonic way, not romantic.

However, with amy, sheldon is different. I think there needs to come a point where amy becomes more nurturing, or sheldon grows up and doesn't need it like he used to, for the shamy to really work. Don't get me wrong, I love the shamy but I like seeing sheldon be sheldon (like how he is with his mom and penny).

Well, I don't know; they have changed Amy a lot since they had her on. Sheldon has really strong feelings for his mother, and the scenes where he fought with his mother reminded me of scenes with penny. Not that he has the same amount of feelings for penny, but they are similar in a platonic way, not romantic.

However, with amy, sheldon is different. I think there needs to come a point where amy becomes more nurturing, or sheldon grows up and doesn't need it like he used to, for the shamy to really work. Don't get me wrong, I love the shamy but I like seeing sheldon be sheldon (like how he is with his mom and penny).

Well there's one thing to develop a character and maybe change a little here but if all of a sudden Amy's sweet and caring like his mother(I'm not saying Amy isn't a nice person or has these) I think where would it stop with either Amy or any of the other characters, but i agree that they've changed Amy since she first appeared but this it would be extreme.

That was one of my all-time favorite TBBT scenes. A revelation for Sheldon indeed; and it happened in such a natural way, with his condescension and the rain. A hands-on experience of his humanity and frailty, after the idea was put into his head by Amy and he simply rejected it at that time.. masterfully done!

Certainly. I found it intriguing how the audience collectively went 'aww' when Sheldon walked in wet and shivering, as if everyone felt for his physical and emotional trial at that time.. well, for Sheldon, it was a trial!

Certainly. I found it intriguing how the audience collectively went 'aww' when Sheldon walked in wet and shivering, as if everyone felt for his physical and emotional trial at that time.. well, for Sheldon, it was a trial!

Considering the state he was in it was impossible not to feel for him...poor guy :icon_cheesygrin:....al he wanted was some of his mom's cooking.

Considering the state he was in it was impossible not to feel for him...poor guy :icon_cheesygrin:....al he wanted was some of his mom's cooking.

And plenty of his mom's attention. :D But he wasn't one to admit his emotional neediness, until Amy confronted him, and that's what makes him Sheldon!

I watched this episode last night, having seen it once before, but awhiiiiilllle back.

so I didn't remember much as I was watching it, but I realized it was because I didn't like it!

I don't like when an episode (of any show) focuses on an outside character for the ENTIRE show. (example: Sheldon's sister... the grad student obsessed with Sheldon...etc). it just feels like an outsider is on the show (and the main focus at that!). so I know we know Mary Cooper, and I've never minded her scenes, but this episode was ALL about her so I thought it was a bit too much. (hence, why I didn't like it enough to remember it the second time around).

I watched this episode last night, having seen it once before, but awhiiiiilllle back.

so I didn't remember much as I was watching it, but I realized it was because I didn't like it!

I don't like when an episode (of any show) focuses on an outside character for the ENTIRE show. (example: Sheldon's sister... the grad student obsessed with Sheldon...etc). it just feels like an outsider is on the show (and the main focus at that!). so I know we know Mary Cooper, and I've never minded her scenes, but this episode was ALL about her so I thought it was a bit too much. (hence, why I didn't like it enough to remember it the second time around).

It wasn't completely about her. Her character was used for a development with Sheldon. He came to the realization that when it comes to emotional needs, we are all the same. Love the scene with the man on the park bench. One of my favorite all-time big bang moments.

it's not that it was about HER... but she was there for the entire episode. there was no other storyline. even as we were watching last night, after 10 minutes into the episode, my friend & I were like, "well, where's the other storyline?" because Mary was in every scene.

It wasn't completely about her. Her character was used for a development with Sheldon. He came to the realization that when it comes to emotional needs, we are all the same. Love the scene with the man on the park bench. One of my favorite all-time big bang moments.

I agree. One of Sheldon's major 'human' moments.

I loved this episode--just re-watched it last night on my DVD.

I am amazed looking back at the posts from when this episode first aired, that so many people were complaining about it and about Sheldon's mother.

What I liked about it is that while some scenes were about her viewpoint on things--like when they're in the church--for the most part it's about showing that she cares about all of Sheldon's friends because she's a caring person. Even if the writers are poking fun at her beliefs (and as a fairly conservative Christian, I'm not as offended as I have been with other shows' portrayals of Christians) or her political incorrectness, she's still portrayed as a genuinely caring person. Maybe she wants to convert Howard, for instance, but she isn't harsh or overbearing about it.

At any rate, all of her interaction with the gang is simply to underscore Sheldon's jealousy or desire to have her all to himself. He hadn't anticipated that she would pay attention to anyone but himself, since she's his mother, and he had all kinds of things planned for her to do, which, being Sheldon, revolved around him--making his favorite foods, attending a lecture with him, etc.

Someone earlier in the thread complained about him acting like a child and someone else pointed out that because of the way he grew up he could have become stuck in the mode.

I agree. I've been thinking about this for some time because he does have these childish reactions, and is still in many ways very in touch with his inner child in terms of how he approaches the games they play, the costumes and all that.

If you consider that he would have grown up in a sort of emotional isolation as far as other kids goes, it does make sense. He would have been intellectually too far above kids his own age (and given his control-freak nature, probably no fun to play with anyway) and too young to socialize with the older kids he went to college with (what 18-21 year old wants to hang out with an obnoxious little pre-teenager?) so he only had his mother and his meemaw and himself, really. I think that he probably would have found it hard to play with his siblings as well.

At any rate, he would have kind of learned to entertain himself and comic books and video games and toy trains would have been ways he could easily entertained himself in isolation.

Someone mentioned the question of his mother and Penny singing Soft Kitty to him and mothering him, but not Amy so far. I kind of think it would be better if Amy did NOT start singing Soft Kitty to him. He doesn't see her as a maternal figure, but as something else that he hasn't had or known so far--a girlfriend. I don't think the line separating mother from girlfriend should be crossed (Howard already has that problem!)

If Amy is going to eventually awaken his sexuality, you don't want that mixed up with maternal feelings. I think she's got a good enough connection when it comes to fixing his favorite foods, but not crossing the line into babying him--that's for his mother or Penny to do when he needs it. :)

I actually love the way Sheldon evokes his childhood comforting with the Soft Kitty song--the first time he has Penny sing it to him, he has her put Vap-O-Rub on his chest--the way his mother would--and has her sing Soft Kitty--the way his mother would--and then he closes his eyes--no doubt trying to find that memory of being comforted by his mother--while he tries to go to sleep.

In this episode we see that parallel, which undoubtedly was what he remembers from childhood--mom putting the stuff on his chest, mom singing Soft Kitty, while he closes his eyes and tries to go to sleep. He even wants to figure out a way to hang on to that ritual when she starts talking about him being a grown man. He doesn't want to grow up--he wants to be her baby forever because that was a safe, comforting place to be.

Okay, overanalyzation aside, I've thought about a couple of moments. When Sheldon is at Amy's apartment, I'm surprised he sneezes onto his hand--I would think that a germaphobe like Sheldon would have sneezed onto his sleeve or would have grabbed a tissue first, or would at least have wiped or washed the hand he sneezed on. And then he does it again. Also, Jim does a cute sneeze. ;)

And then I love sopping wet Sheldon--Jim was pretty dang wet--you can see water running off of his face when he's talking to Leonard and even his hands are wet. And when Mary takes Sheldon's jacket off, his t-shirt looks wet as well. It looks like the took Jim and made him stand in the shower in his clothes to achieve that look.

And I loved him sticking his tongue out at the others. :p

• Like 1

Phantagrae, loved your analysis of one of my favorite season 5 episodes. I do think Sheldon's epiphany in the rain about being human (precipitated by Amy's comments, even if they annoyed him at the time) was a huge moment of growth for him as a character.

I agree that I'd never want to see Amy taking on Soft Kitty. That's for Sheldon's mother and, in her absence, his next maternal figure, Penny. His relationship with Amy is qualitatively different, and I'd like to see them keep it that way.

Oh, yes, Jim was pretty dang wet and pretty dang hot in that scene. But that might just be me. :)

I'm surprised how many don't like Sheldon's child-like ways. To me those are some of my favorite moments in the show. He didn't have much of a childhood and growing up no doubt recieved a lot of special attention from his mom. He was a genius, took part in some outrageous experiments leading to many hospital visits, for a while his mother thought he could be 'crazy'... he no doubt was used to having all of his mother's attention. Then he's hardly a preteen when he goes to university. He didn't get to grow a normal social self alongside other kids since he was 'special'. So I forgive all the actions he takes that are child-like. Just because you're smart doesn't mean you don't want love and attention. So Sheldon jealous of his mother being a mother to his friends doesn't sit well with him.

Sure it makes him into a jerk but he doesn't have a normal grasp on socializing and probably never will so in his mind he honestly thinks everything should be about him. It was when he was a kid, why should it change? So as mean as it was that he expected his mom to cook for him and do his laundry, in his weird mind he thought it was fine.

Anyway, I love the religious jokes and comments from Mary Cooper. As an athiest, I laugh my pants off at such things like 'The Last Supper Buffett.' :laugh: Others may call it mean but in this day and age, people have more liberty to make such jokes and I'm all for such things.

I am annoyed at the constant drinking from Penny and Raj as I don't drink but they always deliever funny lines around it.

Like almost everyone, I just wanted to hug poor wet sick Sheldon in the end!

One of my favs of season 5 so far.

Edited by SoftKitty25

I always love when family comes to visit, because i like to get an insight into the characters. I love Mary, its a shame that her and Amy cant get more scenes, every season seems bad timing, they are not in the same plot. Oh well

I like how everyone in the gang loves Mary too, and love sheldon being jealous when his mother is being a mother to his friends.