In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

Your best Bluray experiences?

Sherminator

So!

What are your best Bluray experieces? What Bluray has just blown you away with it's razor sharp picture?

Also, what is the downpoint of your Bluray life?

For me, the best is Ronin bluray. I have never really liked the film, but seeing it in bluray was real blast. It goes to show that good picture quality can make a move feel better!

Also, seeing LOtr in bluray was fun. The movies are a bit dull, but bluray did allow me to see bagend, Rivendell, and all those armours and clothes in very high detail. Nice!

Low point must be Rocky. The picture quality was appalling!:icon_eek:

I'm not a huge BluRay fan. I think it's a little wanky. Too many of today's youth have become spoilt by HD. I refer this comment mostly to video gaming, but that's another tangent.

Best BluRay experience for me was "District 9" Looked awesome in tru-HD.

The BluRay Star Wars re-hash is also great, except for Lucas' new CGI additions... does it matter if the Jawas can see R2-D2 hiding behind the rocks?? Do we really need to superimpose MORE rocks to hide him???

Low point? Seeing that "The Simpsons" is being released on BluRay.... is this really necessary ??

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Star Wars looks on blu-ray.

I just have to wait till one of my pals gets it. It's a bit pricey, see.

Trouble is, my pals are waiting also for somebody else to get the Star wars box, so it is a waiting game!:icon_biggrin:

-who is going to crack first?

I saw district 9 the other week. I thought it was really boring, like an overly long music video. Nice plot though, but just too much junk.

@Sherminator: George Lucas has once again added little bits to the latest Star Wars release. There's some really pathetic add-ons this time. It must be lonely over at Skywalker Ranch ><

-I hope he has not added Jar Jar Binks to the original trilogy!

Talking about Jar Jar, it would have been great opportunity to erase him from the new trilogy, since he is digital. He could have been then replaced with something more bearable. Like a giant cockroach!:icon_biggrin:

WARNING!!!

There are many cheap, and llow quality blu-ray versions available of many movies!

they are difficult to spot, but here is one good quideline:

-rubbish blu-ray movies usually have no extras at all. So, avoid blu-ray movies, especially of blockbusters, that have no extras on them. Even old movies usually have a commentary by an critic or historian, so the same guideline works with golden oldies.

Take this advice seriously. Some cheap blu-rays have DVD quality pic on them!

• 2 months later...

Just saw the Star Wars Blurays!

Good pic, but the old trilogy was a tad too boring for me.

I love the Attack of The Clones best. It has great locations, and lot of cool action sequences. My favourite of the six!

on the other had, the Shadow Menace sucks even on bluray...:icon_cry:

• 4 weeks later...

-I hope he has not added Jar Jar Binks to the original trilogy!

Talking about Jar Jar, it would have been great opportunity to erase him from the new trilogy, since he is digital. He could have been then replaced with something more bearable. Like a giant cockroach!:icon_biggrin:

I am a huge Buster Keaton fan, so my best Blu-ray experience was seeing his masterpiece, The General. I have about 9 different versions (scores and prints), but that is the one that I love the most, so the ability to see the movie how it was intended, and probably better than most people of the day got to see it is great.

I am a huge Buster Keaton fan, so my best Blu-ray experience was seeing his masterpiece, The General. I have about 9 different versions (scores and prints), but that is the one that I love the most, so the ability to see the movie how it was intended, and probably better than most people of the day got to see it is great.

What's the difference betwen a DVD and Blu-Ray of BK? How can a BR improve on the quality of such an old film vs DVD?

I have the Laurel & Hardy boxset on DVD and wouldnt bother buying on BR

It is probably more the work behind the Blu-Ray release. The restoration, the clarity of the image, many of the scratches on the film are gone, you can see small details for the first time, like the wallpaper patterns. Also you don't get the blurred images that you sometimes get with motion on the older movies. This particular version was mastered in HD from a 35mm print that was struck from the original camera negative, and as you know the closer to the original camera negative the print, the clearer it is. With some other releases they are copies of copies.

Do you have the 21 Box DVD set of L&H. I have too, brilliant isn't it.

I only recently started colecting Blu rays and my best buy & experience so far has to be : Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

The images are so cristal clear & the artwork/ animation is perfect imo. You can actually see all the feathers on the owls in great detail!

• 2 weeks later...

WARNING!!!

There are many cheap, and llow quality blu-ray versions available of many movies!

they are difficult to spot, but here is one good quideline:

-rubbish blu-ray movies usually have no extras at all. So, avoid blu-ray movies, especially of blockbusters, that have no extras on them. Even old movies usually have a commentary by an critic or historian, so the same guideline works with golden oldies.

Take this advice seriously. Some cheap blu-rays have DVD quality pic on them!

How can we identify these low quality blu-ray versions?

• 2 weeks later...

How can we identify these low quality blu-ray versions?

Well, as I said, the lack of extra material is the easiest way to identify them. Also, if the sleeve of a well known movie bears the logo of some TV channel company, such as CanalDigital or somesuch, then you should be VERY suspicious...

-apart from that, it's just guessing game...

• 10 months later...

Yes, Blade Runner is stunning on BD, but as far as PQ goes, Prometheus is absolutely flawless.

So far, my worst BD (I've got around 300) as far as PQ goes is A Fish Called Wanda. I can't even say it looks as good as the DVD.

Edited by Anomaly

I've had Bluray for ages now, but only have 8 movies for it:

4 harry potters, the first Narnia film, and some action flicks.

Still, I do love the HD pic it gives us.

I've had it since 2007 or so. While I had a couple of players in the house, I didn't really start buying BDs until about a year & a half ago. At that point, I started buying a lot of them, but I've slowed down recently. Mainly because I pretty much have all the films that I really want and are available on BD. If you want to start collecting them, I suggest visiting blu-ray.com, which ultimately links to Amazon. The prices are extremely reasonable. A couple of recent examples would be the entire 8-film Harry Potter box set, which was an amazing $50, and (currently) the Dark Knight Trilogy is only $28.