The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.09 The Ornithophobia Diffusion (Nov. 10)

How would you rate the episode?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I'm getting tired of leonard's attitude he's acting like a jerk to much, kind of funny that he described all these dates yet didn't see them do too much outside of the bedroom, didn't penny watch all those sci fi stuff in the apt. because of him, what kind of theater has a movie about dams and a Jennifer aniston movie

So did Leonard date penny because she was a pretty blonde willingly to have sex with him?

What's happening to the penny character she's turning away from the sweet girl next door to what's happening she's not mean but she's not the same girl?

I really liked this episode. Leonard acted like a jerk and I didn't realize where the episode was going. But the last scene with Leonard and Penny cleared it up and gave the whole thing more depth. When Leonard dated Penny he was totally in love with her, treated her with respect, but he was a passive wimpy low self esteem kind of guy. That was probably what gave Penny reservations about Leonard. Penny usually dated muscular, high self esteem guys who treated her like crap. She has her own self esteem issues, hence the rotten boyfriends. She knows Leonard needs to get more confidence. She commented on his take charge attitude. She wants a nice confident guy who treats her with respect,

but she needs to let her shields down and let herself be loved. This is how these two characters need to grow before they get back together. That was really awesome.

That being said, who the hell would go to a 3 hour documentary about a freakin' Dam? That was kind of a strange exaggeration on the writers part.

The Sheldon bird part was hilarious. Especially Bernadette Telling Sheldon, "Pet the bird you big baby!!!" and Amy's line about not "getting sugar". If Sheldon can show that kind of loving for a bird and cats he'll eventually transfer that emotion to Amy. I can't wait.

Yes pjack I agree they need to have Leonard be more secure and less whining and have penny let her guard down for them to ever be together again, Leonard was in love with the hot blonde across the hall, every time he didn't want to do something he said that he only wanted to do it because he wanted sex, where's the love their ?

Yes pjack I agree they need to have Leonard be more secure and less whining and have penny let her guard down for them to ever be together again, Leonard was in love with the hot blonde across the hall, every time he didn't want to do something he said that he only wanted to do it because he wanted sex, where's the love their ?

I think the writers had him say that so that they could subtly make a point while still being funny. What this shows is that Penny could get Leonard to do anything she wanted to (not necessarily intentionally), if Leonard thought he'd get sex. This reveals that Leonard was a bit of a push-over, and he needs to get over it for him and Penny to have a successful relationship down the road.

It all goes back to the "take charge Leonard" that Penny said that she liked, as well as Penny saying "You don't always have to go along with the girl wants" in season 2.

Once Leonard learns these lessons (he is getting better at it, but of course he reverted to the old Leonard once Penny paid him a compliment) he and Penny will be much better off.

I think it's obvious they still have feelings for each other. I could sense it in their fight.

Oh and the Sheldon bird scenes were absolutely hilarious lol

I agree with the comments already mentioned, I'm glad they brought up this scenario with Leonard and Penny. I think a lot of fans would think that they could automatically get back together because Priya is out of the picture now. I'm glad that the writers made both Leonard and Penny realistic in the sense that they both have issues they need to work out before they can consider a relationship again, which is some good, natural character growth.

I also liked "Amy+Bernadette-without-Penny" screen time. When the three girls are together too much too often, it turns into this weird "here are the girls"/"here are the guys" scenario exchange, which is weird to me. So overall, really enjoyed the episode.

Whether you like Priya or not, she made some positive changes to Leonard. Before she came along Leonard was always presented as the "science geek". But she changed him into the "highly educated young professional". The change of wardrobe, the change of attitude. I think that's what we saw in tonight's episode. (Even though he was dressed badly for the date). Has anyone noticed Penny has changed her look too. She looks a lot more mature and respectable (in a good way). That seemed to happen after she asked advice from Sheldon's Mom a couple of episodes back.

I think no matter what, the character of Penny is a total sweetheart. I love the character and I bet it represents Kaley's personality too. Kaley doesn't get enough credit, she's a fantastic comic actress. She learned a lot from John Ritter.

Every episode that goes by I am reminded of Jennifer Aniston as far as Kaley is concerned. The Lenny storyline seemed to be a copycat or similar to an episode of Friends. I loved the bird storyline but when I read it I wasn't sure but Jim Parsons is a genius in this show! I liked how Lenny were bitchy with each other and I loved how Sheldon finally liked the bird "lovey dovey" until the bird took off :( "GET BACK HERE YOU STUPID BIRD SO I CAN LOVE YOU!" :) BTW the bird was confirmed by Bill Prady as a magpie jay. Weirdly Sheldon explained a history with that bird at age 12, he explained that the bird took his retainer from his mouth! LOL Good episode over all but I CAN NOT WAIT TIL NEXT WEEK!!!

I think thios is Jim Parsons ONLY claim to fame, but seeing that he is a down to earth kind of guy, he'll probably turn these earnings into creating a theater group or maybe he will go on Broadway for a couple of years.

I say kudos, he is not your typical good looking actor, neither is most of the cast save Kunal and Kaley...but you can see what a good actor is when you see them on screen as compared to Kunal,Kaley or Melissa...although Melissa is a great comedianne, she just doesn't seem comfortable on screen when she isn't delivering a line.

I think Galecki is pretty set in life with his work, Kaley's 1st husband will probably squander her money (man I wish I was him...for the $$$ not the blonde) and Parsons/Hedberg hopefully will save their dough as I do not think they will find work after this...outside of cameos

Actually Jim Parsons has already been quite successful on the stage. He is a very adept character actor. Don't look to see him disappear.

Kaley will be fine and that's what pre nips are for and you don't know that about her husband, the ones that will be fine as for roles will be Kaley, Johnny, kunal and maybe Melissa the rest will be either type caster or hard to find other roles

Galecki and cuoco are set in their work and set for life, others hard to tell

Pre Nips? Is that papers you have to sign before you get to second base?:icon_wink:

this is now one of my favourite episodes. I loved the scene in the bar with leonard and Penny fighting. and the scene where sheldon shattered the window with his High frequency noise thingamabob made me laugh out loud.

Not a bad episode. Personally my least fave of the season thus far.

I was very surprised to see just how big a bluejay is in real life. I always pictured them as much smaller.

Was a pisser when the bird sat in Sheldon's spot.

Penny and Leonard were good together. Nice to see Leonard growing a pair and making Penny pay her way.

Sheldon was a little flat on the whole.

Great story idea, just poorly executed.

One observation... During the opening scene did Penny refer to Sheldon as "Professor Fuzzy-face" ??

Unsure if I misheard it and as a result, I spent the rest of the episode staring at what looks like a faint moustache growing on Sheldon's face.

So need to rewatch this episode.

Well, where to start? I was ready to just complain and crank, but then I deleted what I was going to post and started over.

I am of two minds about this show. It is as if "The Big Bang Theory 1" shut down and the same actors were hired and all of the same sets were used for a completely new show called "The Big Bang Theory 2". The show has kind of the same story, but everything else is changed. It is more of a drama than a science based comedy now.

The characters are "growing" and becoming more "complex" and relationships are "developing". I know that this was all done to move into the mainstream rather than being more of a cult show for all of the science nerds out there. And I know that a lot of people like the show more now and that's great for them.

But what about the people who liked the original show? I miss the original show. What ever happened to the physics?

And now for the other of my two minds.

While I don't like the show as much anymore, I do find that there are still some jokes that I chuckle at and I do have a desire for Sheldon and Amy, and Leonard and Penny to eventually work out their problems and partner up.

So, I did like the interaction with Leonard and Penny. Not so much the fighting, but the making up at the end was good and bodes well for the future. Amy was better this time as she had more of a supporting role - which I like more than the story-lines where she is a main character. Bernadette was a darling. Its nice to see her being something other than an oedipal substitute for Howard's mother.

I'm a little confused with Sheldon though. His character seems to be back sliding and becoming more childlike. He is becoming more of a character that you laugh at than laugh with.

I was very surprised to see just how big a bluejay is in real life. I always pictured them as much smaller.

One observation... During the opening scene did Penny refer to Sheldon as "Professor Fuzzy-face"

not a bluejay - it was a magpie jay.

also it was Professor fussy-face.

For the friends comparison, watch any show and you could point out something that happended from a different show, but Rachel had character developement growth both professionally and personally Rachel didn't waitress for 5 seasons she did something about her dreams. This is the penny they should have been developing last season compared to what they did with her last season.

As for the ones that don't like the show anymore then don't watch, yes it might not be like season 1-2 which tells you how good it was those seasons, i like the direction it's heading aftercand up and down season 4, it was only natural that the show would have relationships do you want them to be reading comic books and watching star trek all day,

I agree that priya made Leonard better especially professionally looking, of course penny got the ball rolling but priya built a better boyfriend (she didn't change him just the way he dresses sometimes) for penny if they got back. You can't be taken seriously professionally if you dress like a child at work no matter how smart you are

I also liked that Amy was a minor character but the episode isn't about her like the previous one.

Guest histerija

i think this episode was horrible, because of penny and leonard. i think they're horrible together and they're scenes together are not really funny.

and penny has much more chemistry with sheldon and even with raj.

and even penny and amy would be a better couple than penny and leonard.

in the earlier seasons leonard wasn't such a jerk. now he actually admits that all he has ever done for penny was because he expected sex in return?! and people should really want to see them back together?!

i don't know why anyone would like for a broken relationship to be repaired? in real life such things don't work out well (or at least where i live).

someone is your ex, because of a reason and if 2 people had a bad relationship the first time, they can't have a good one the 2nd time- because they're still the same people.

and especially after all the stuff they did with leonard and penny through these seasons- all he was doing for her was because of sex, he thought she was stupid and wanted her to go to college, she wanted to throw away all his clothes and she thinks his toys and hobbies are stupid, etc.

i hope they will never get back together, because if they do.. this show will be just a plain copy of all the other shows on tv.

and i think, no matter how much leonard and penny change (or grow), they still won't be a good couple.

where is the love, if he says that he will be anyone and do anything just to get her in bed?

where is the love, when every woman wants to change leonard?

where is the love, when people don't respect each other for who they are and respect their intellect, no matter if someone has a phd or works as a waitress?

@Leonardpennysheldonhoward

not sure where the comedy is from all Leonard did something that penny wanted if he thought it would lead into sex, it makes all her cared about her was if he got sex in return that's not a relationship and it wasn't funny and made him look like a jerk, plus penny could make him do anything in their realtionship if sex was an option or not

Well said histerija

Get Back Here You Stupid Bird, So I Can Love YOU! lol

I'm glad to see Penny and Leonard hanging out and heading back to being together, though I don't think that will happen very soon. I liked but didn't like at the same time how Penny and Leonard's non date went. I'm glad they were discussing their dating experience and I'm glad Leonard didn't just go back to completely mooning over Penny but I felt he might have been a little rude about it (or that could just be that I'm not use to seeing Leonard be so blunt). Their little fighting scene in the bar was good and the walk up the stairs was funny. And I think its great that the writers revisited Sheldon's fear of birds, but it made me laugh that he called the girls over for help.

4ofn new writers tend to change the feel of a show. I agree with you, to me this a new TBBT probably more popular and successful but not the show I loved. That said I enjoyed this episode most of the new season but it would have been better if Raj and Howard had stayed with Sheldon rather than bringing in Amy and Bernadette. They're not main cast they really don't have to appear in every episode. Raj, Howard and Sheldon had a better comedic chemistry in this episode than Sheldon and the girls. I wonder if there's a contractual thing that they have to appear so often for no reason.

Penny and Leonard was pretty good could have been very awkward but they made it work.

I just rewatched the episode. Still loved it, but I missed how mean Leonard was, Making fun of her acting career, saying "spell asthma". He did cross the line. I missed Penny's joke in the bar When she said kevin was "cute with his geeky T shirt and hipster glasses". When leonard says, "I have hip glasses and wear a geeky shirt." Penny says, "Yah, but when you're tall with good cheekbones you're doing it ironically." Classic BBT line.

I just rewatched the episode. Still loved it, but I missed how mean Leonard was, Making fun of her acting career, saying "spell asthma". He did cross the line. I missed Penny's joke in the bar When she said kevin was "cute with his geeky T shirt and hipster glasses". When leonard says, "I have hip glasses and wear a geeky shirt." Penny says, "Yah, but when you're tall with good cheekbones you're doing it ironically." Classic BBT line.

The making fun of her acting career was while they were still at the bar. He brought up her long standing gig as a waistress at the cheesecake factory and how he bet she didn't tell the other guy about that

Last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory finished first in its slot and was the most-watched show of the night.

"The Ornithophobia Diffusion" was watched by 15.66 million people, down slightly from last week's record-setting audience of 15.98m, and scored a 9.3/15 rating in households. The Big Bang Theory recorded a 5.2/15 rating in the key adults 18-49 demographic, down from last week's 5.4/16.

The Big Bang Theory finished first in its slot and was the highest rated show of the night in households, total viewers, adults 25-54, adults 18-49 and adults 18-34. This is the eighth week running that the show has been the top rated show on Thursdays.

http://the-big-bang-theory.com/story/1647/Episode-509-Ratings/

Well Leonard crossed the line she didn't mention that his work is unorginal based off of others work

I think with the ratings we need to compare it to what it did overall it's time slot isn't against stiff competition

In the midst of watching..

Best lines so far: "I'm pushing play, I mean it! If we don't start soon, George Lucas is gonna change it again!"

"Guess you got to have hollow bones to get some sugar around here"

Oh and GO Leonard!! Bout time he grew some balls & stood up for himself. I think the L/P interaction was good as it will establish a better bond to continue with.

Yup Loved this episode, had me laughing out loud more compared to previous ones.

Sheldon is gonna be a mummy hahahah

@ jacks yes he did then they shrinked when hecsaid he'd be whatever guy he wanted her to be