How many girlfriends?

I really don't think that's true. It's an out dated stereotype. Are they dating supermodels maybe not but there are plenty of girl geeks and women attracted to intelligent men. Otherwise there would never be any little geeks brought into the world.

For one thing, this is a sitcom and isn't supposed to accurately mirror the shortcomings in relationships that real nerds experience. It's true that no woman would want to date someone who doesn't have any pride in themselves, or would rather spend their time glued to a TV set than with her, and it's true that she would probably be thrown off by the collectables of childish gizmos and whatnot. But a woman probably wouldn't care (or if she does, she'd probably overlook) someone's fixation with dorky odds and ends if he carried himself confidently.

I'm sorry if you're having problems in this area and that's what brought this on. I know a lot of guys that deny that you can be yourself and still get a girl. They have such a negative attitude and they're so self-loathing. Has anyone told you to love yourself and others will follow? Well, it's true.

Someone shared these sentiments with me recently re Leonard (and the women he has been with in the show etc) and I disagreed; because in the equally geeky world of classical music (my subject), I have seen many very nerdy males date women who seemingly were 'out of their league'

Matt

Sorry guys the OP is right

As for using the word confidence and Leonard in the same sentence? There's the rub...

Women are attracted to a-holes...yes even the ones who will respond to me and say "But not me!" Yes you! Every woman has 2 or 3 relationships where they sit there and ask "What am I doing? Where is my self respect? He cheats,lies and I run after him"

See, Penny with Kurt and David the married smooth scientist WORKED...that was real...and made her dating Leonard MEAN something...as if she was growing up. It shouldn't have happened so soon..she should have had a pregnancy scare or STD scare to snap her out of the young woman trap of dating guys who are exciting but void of commitment.

Listen, I WAS Leonard...in HS and college...then I got burnt...and I became apathetic towards women and a little spiteful...I'd rather do anything then date or be in a relationship, my geeky hobbies so what happens? Like a moth to a flame, for the last 10 years, I have many many stories and dated women that many guys would say are "above my paygrade"

All because my apathy has turned me into a confident, no nonsense type 'bad boy'.

It makes NO sense that Leonard STAYS a whimpering spineless man and gets the amount of women he does and at the hotness level. Women are NOT attracted to that type of man, those men fall into the friend zone.

Sheldon is right " got your back Jack, women be crazy"

it's not difficult to believe

i was the nerdy geeky type

a lot girls were attracted to me...but i wasn't cuz i was more about doing well in school (wow i was such a dork lol)

i've been with a few girls. Now my gf is a supermodel status! :D im not exaggerating

i was being persistent and throwing in my charming skills and thats how it happened

this whole geek/nerd not getting pretty girls is just a stereotype

i, for one, always love to beat the stereotypes so i can proudly say, it doesn't happen to EVERYONE lol

I've never been a full on nerd or geek. I like things associated with being geeky such as gaming, comics and general sci fi but I was also sporty and went out drinking and clubbing so I can't speak from personal experience. But my geeky friends never had any problems with girls.

The whole women only like bad guys is a cop out. Girls don't like guys that fall in love on the first date or that are boring. I was never a bad guy, never cheated or treated women in a bad way and While no Cassanova I never had trouble getting girlfriends. Most guys who call themselves good guys tend to put women on a pedestal and then condem them for any actions that dont come up to their high standards. Most women especially young women just want to go out and have fun. I've seen the geek guy pull women just by making them laugh.

As for using the word confidence and Leonard in the same sentence? There's the rub...

That's what I meant by this:

For one thing, this is a sitcom and isn't supposed to accurately mirror the shortcomings in relationships that real nerds experience.

I was just addressing the op's problems, not talking about Leonard. To be honest to god, I wouldn't date him either.

I agree with Threelions' understanding. Most young women aren't searching for commitments, they want fun. They don't want someone that's too rigid to step out of their comfort zone. I'm not going to say that it's phooey to like the bad boy image, it's not my cup of tea but it could be someone else's. I just don't want to be treated with disrespect to maintain a reputation for the guy, as if it were the only thing that mattered to him.

I think when Priya was buying Leonard nice clothes, praising him and boosting his ego, he actually became more desirable. Any of the four main boys could swoon a girl if they put their heads to it. Yes, even Howard.

Men like these get no sex. I mean none at all. They're lucky if a woman even admits they exist. So why has a five feet tall, Fantasy and Sci-Fi obsessed, video-game playing dork had carnal knowledge of eight seperate women in four-and-a-bit series? It makes absolutely no sense.

Not true at all. I would say I'm exactly like these guys, or as close as a real person can be in comparison to a fictional character. I play with toys collectibles and action figures, I read/collect comics and manga, I go to the theater to see vintage movies (in costume if possible), I watch anime, I play video games, I speak Klingon, I watch a multitude of science fiction TV and films, enjoy studying books on various subjects just for the fun of it, play TCG games and engage in many pointless debates and discussions about fictionalized material. Everything they do and everything they are on this show, is everything I do and am and always have been.

And yet, I have never had any issues with getting girlfriends and now I am married with children. And we don't even follow the regular stereotypes of marriage either, with regard to the fabled drop off in sexual activity after marriage (not to get too graphic). Maybe some guys do better than others, but saying that guys like this NEVER get girls (of any kind, not just "geeky girls") is just completely false.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Men like these get no sex. I mean none at all. They're lucky if a woman even admits they exist. So why has a five feet tall, Fantasy and Sci-Fi obsessed, video-game playing dork had carnal knowledge of eight seperate women in four-and-a-bit series? It makes absolutely no sense.

Not true at all. I would say I'm exactly like these guys, or as close as a real person can be in comparison to a fictional character. I play with toys collectibles and action figures, I read/collect comics and manga, I go to the theater to see vintage movies (in costume if possible), I watch anime, I play video games, I speak Klingon, I watch a multitude of science fiction TV and films, enjoy studying books on various subjects just for the fun of it, play TCG games and engage in many pointless debates and discussions about fictionalized material. Everything they do and everything they are on this show, is everything I do and am and always have been.

And yet, I have never had any issues with getting girlfriends and now I am married with children. And we don't even follow the regular stereotypes of marriage either, with regard to the fabled drop off in sexual activity after marriage (not to get too graphic). Maybe some guys do better than others, but saying that guys like this NEVER get girls (of any kind, not just "geeky girls") is just completely false.

But there's a big difference between yourself and the other self professed "successful with women" despite being a geek and how Leonard is presented on the show. You and the others don't seem to be ashamed or bothered by who you were/are.

Leonard has major self confidence issues...still, despite getting all the female attention he has. He also has a self loathing complex about him that in real life would turn woman off by the boatloads. It simply isn't realistic for him to scoring as much as he has with how he acts and how he perceives himself.

If I remember correctly (this is more of people he's slept with):

01. Joyce Kim (the North Korean spy)

02. Leslie Winkle

03. Dr. Stephanie Barnett

04. Penny

05. Mrs. Latham

06. Priya Koothrappali

07. Alice (?)

But there's a big difference between yourself and the other self professed "successful with women" despite being a geek and how Leonard is presented on the show. You and the others don't seem to be ashamed or bothered by who you were/are.

Leonard has major self confidence issues...still, despite getting all the female attention he has. He also has a self loathing complex about him that in real life would turn woman off by the boatloads. It simply isn't realistic for him to scoring as much as he has with how he acts and how he perceives himself.

As a mental health therapist I would say don't forget that there are many codependent women around who would love to rescue and fix someone like Leonard.

No problem. :) Oh, I also remembered Sheldon saying Leonard dated a girl who had a Ph.D in French literature. We never saw her, but I guess that counts as one as well.

I knew I forgot about one or two. :p Haha. I hope she makes an appearance in a future episode. :) I think that's all of them! (I hope) (>w<)

As a mental health therapist I would say don't forget that there are many codependent women around who would love to rescue and fix someone like Leonard.

This is true. But out of all the woman we know about Priya is the only one who really fits that bill. You could maybe argue in favor of Penny as well but I think with her it was more of a second hand thing where she didn't actively set out to change him whereas Priya did.

This is true. But out of all the woman we know about Priya is the only one who really fits that bill. You could maybe argue in favor of Penny as well but I think with her it was more of a second hand thing where she didn't actively set out to change him whereas Priya did.

True, and remember Penny has some Daddy issues which explains her numerous boyfriends coupled with a fear of intimacy and commitment which is one of the reasons I think she would break up with Leonard when he got too serious.

All very interesting, but I will remind all that the writers of this show do not have a plot, a theme, or any particular interest in continuity. They write each episode like it is a show unto itself. Leonard's romances each came about because they had an idea for a show. If the relationship persisted, its because they had some more ideas. If it ended, its likely the show that ended it was also based on a single idea and the relationship got in the way. They certainly had no notion of limiting romance so they could maintain his nerdism. That would mean there is a back story. Not!

All very interesting, but I will remind all that the writers of this show do not have a plot, a theme, or any particular interest in continuity. They write each episode like it is a show unto itself. Leonard's romances each came about because they had an idea for a show. If the relationship persisted, its because they had some more ideas. If it ended, its likely the show that ended it was also based on a single idea and the relationship got in the way. They certainly had no notion of limiting romance so they could maintain his nerdism. That would mean there is a back story. Not!

That's kind of annoying to remember, the show needs to flow together and hopefully the write keep that in mind or else they get to have all the lovely questions of why during comic con. But that is kind fun to watch them come up with an answer

That's kind of annoying to remember, the show needs to flow together and hopefully the write keep that in mind or else they get to have all the lovely questions of why during comic con. But that is kind fun to watch them come up with an answer

I quite agree, but I don't believe that is the case. Molaro hinted in an interview that they don't have a plan or plot. It is written one episode at a time. We have much evidence that they pay no attention to anything in past episodes. I wish they did. I would like to think we are watching an evolving plot line. Season 5 has pretty much nailed that coffin lid shut though.

I quite agree, but I don't believe that is the case. Molaro hinted in an interview that they don't have a plan or plot. It is written one episode at a time. We have much evidence that they pay no attention to anything in past episodes. I wish they did. I would like to think we are watching an evolving plot line. Season 5 has pretty much nailed that coffin lid shut though.

Yes, agreed

I can sort of agree, I think Howard and Leonard may get a disporportionate amount of women compared to if this was real life, but I don't think it's entirely unrealistic either.