Just wondering...

Nicole

I didn't think anyone actually ever said Beam Me Up Scotty.

This newspaper had an article on this and other things famous people are quoted as saying, yet didn't!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/oct/25/books.booksnews

I am quite a fan of Star Trek but more The Next Generation and also the movies, so maybe a hard core original series fan can help out.

Matt

Matt is right on the money.

The actual quote "Beam me up, Scotty" was never actually used in the tv series nor the movies.

What was used were variations of this phrase.

If you want to be nit-picky about the OP, I should have added that Spock never gave the command, it was Kirk.

It's similar to the phrase "Play it again, Sam" from the movie Casablanca... everyone associates this quote with the movie, even though it was never in the movie.

"I am your father, Luke" by Darth Vader is another good example.

If no one has ever actually said "Beam me up, Scotty", I wonder why I have heard this?

Who is Padowan?

I love this quote:

"Take your stinking paws off my popcorn you damn dirty ape!" lol My 6 year old walks around saying "you damn dirty ape!" all the time.

If no one has ever actually said "Beam me up, Scotty", I wonder why I have heard this?

Who is Padowan?

"Beam me up Scotty" is a line that was used by a non Star Trek fan years ago in part to ridicule the show and it has be absorbed into popular (?) mytholgy.

Padawan: A Youngling who successfully completes training then undergoes Padawan training under the tutelage of a Jedi Knight (or Jedi Master in some cases). These are also called "Apprentices" and "Padawan Learners". As a rite of passage and the final test before the trials to knighthood, Padawans must build their own lightsabers. In the Old Republic, Padawans usually wore a hair braid on the right side of their head which was removed with a lightsaber upon attaining knighthood. They also served as commanders in the Clone Wars. The term Padawan appears to originate in Sanskrit and can be understood as “learner," both in Sanskrit and by contemporary native speakers of Sanskrit-based languages. (Many thanks to Wiki :D )

[

Padawan: A Youngling who successfully completes training then undergoes Padawan training under the tutelage of a Jedi Knight (or Jedi Master in some cases). These are also called "Apprentices" and "Padawan Learners". As a rite of passage and the final test before the trials to knighthood, Padawans must build their own lightsabers. In the Old Republic, Padawans usually wore a hair braid on the right side of their head which was removed with a lightsaber upon attaining knighthood. They also served as commanders in the Clone Wars. The term Padawan appears to originate in Sanskrit and can be understood as “learner," both in Sanskrit and by contemporary native speakers of Sanskrit-based languages. (Many thanks to Wiki :D )

That's great, thank you for enlightening me!