PENNY AND SHELDON MAYBE?

Penny & Sheldon a Couple  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Penny & Sheldon a Couple

• YES
    • NO

Though I feel Shenny is better than Shamy (chemisty and opposites attract argument) I feel that IF Shenny were to ever happen it would have to be handled carefully and it should ONLY be brought up on the very last episode. Series finale.

I remember watching X-Files and thinking Mulder/Scully could be good together but I also didn't want them together (For fear of show changing)...same feeling I have with Penny/Sheldon. X-Files took that leap and it felt WEIRD (to me anyways). In the last movie where Mulder/Scully are kissing...a movie about 10 years after the series ended, with plenty of time to adjust, I still felt like them together was awkward and just not right.

So what I'm thinking is that IF Shenny ever happened, I bet there would be tons of people (Some shippers even) who will just feel uncomfortable seeing the two of them as a couple.

I felt the same way about Mulder and Scully. Everyone wanted them together and when it happened the chemistry vanished overnight.

If TBBT runs on to 10 seasons, as some fan suggest, all bets are off IMHO. I am not a shenny by any stretch but I agree with your thinking. It would have to come near the end of the show. Personally I would be a little sad if they split up shamy though.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nick, my biggest complaint against this particular crusade of yours is: Boy, you are giving them too much free publicity!   I mean, think about it: there must be.... what?..... about a dozen of them

This is a very interesting post and I agree. But I also think that this season is building toward a shift in this current paradigm. I think a large part of Penny's insecurities and this most recent

When the show started, Penny was an outside observer of the two nerds across the hall and their two friends, She was both mystified and amused about their strange world, she had her own friends and ac

Posted Images

They won't solit up shamy . They bring too much comedy to the shows so why would the writers replace a funny relationship(shamy) with a weird , brothe on sister-like romantic relatioship that is sure to disappoint most people and subsequently , their ratings will drop dramatically!!

It just sucks how our society can't seem to deal with the fact that two heterosexual people of the opposite sex can function as friends, without developing sexual attractions towards one another. Penny and Sheldon should remain friends, the sister-brother bond between them is amazing. The frienship between them is so geniune and unique, it would be horrible to ruin such a thing.

I completely agree with this sentiment. Sheldon and Penny scenes together work wonderfully well, and they have a great friendship and comedic chemistry, but WHY do some people have to see it as romantic when it clearly isn't?

It just sucks how our society can't seem to deal with the fact that two heterosexual people of the opposite sex can function as friends, without developing sexual attractions towards one another. Penny and Sheldon should remain friends, the sister-brother bond between them is amazing. The frienship between them is so geniune and unique, it would be horrible to ruin such a thing.

1. Totally agree with what you wrote here.

2. If the thomjonnyedcolinphil you love, are the same ones I love (and who else could they be?), then we already agree in two things here :icon_cheesygrin:

I think that shippers are so devoted to the idea of the romantic pairing of their dreams, they left aside the strong possibility that one of the ingredients of the sucess of the friendship between Penny and Sheldon, is the fact that there's not any kind of romantic/attraction between them. All of the guys are attracted to her but him, that's why it's more interesting/touching/funnny the episode when he helps her to go to the hospital, or when she 'mothers' him or sings "soft kitty", there's no innuendo, no second intentions. Make Sheldon go all Howard in the scene when he helps her to get dressed or when he mentions he peeked at her ass, and it becomes uncomfortable and creepy as hell, make Penny become aroused while rubbing vaporub in his chest while singing a llullaby to him and prepare to shudder.

Doesn't matter if they are two adults without a real family bond, it's still wrong and off-putting, after all the story of familial-like interactions they share.

I've oftenly read the "it could happen at the very end, as a surprise ending" suggestion. This, IMO, shows two things:

1. Even shippers are aware it's practically impossible and also afraid the relationship can be totally screwed, that's why they don't really want to see it developed, because it may work as an idea and making the characters go completely OOC, but not that easy to see it work, not because it's that "complicated", but because the characters had never been planned that way. It's like wanting to make a manatee mate with a Jiraffe.

I also don't understand the reasoning behind this or the appeal of having a romance only suggested and that will happen off-screen. If that's what you want, there's a lot of fanfiction out there, go and enjoy yourselves. :icon_mrgreen:

2. It would come completeley out of the blue, the relationship that had been built around them is absolutely non-romantic, they are not compatible at all, don't have anything to talk about, they exasperate each other, there's not even physical attraction between them. And this kind of ending wouln't be "surprising", but frustrating!, I mean, they dedicate seven or more seasons to build up Leonard/Penny and Sheldon/Amy since the minute the latter appeared on screen, making people fell or become interested for either one or both stablished relationships, just to broke them up at the end and/or swap partners? That serious betrayal from the writers, if just for the sake of an "ending shock", it's useless and ridiculous, don't think (and hope) will ever happen.

Once I read a really long comment in this board that suggested Penny-Leonard-Sheldon was an stablished "romantic" triangle, and I agree to an extent, but, as I see it, the third in dispute is not Penny, it's Leonard. He is the one who is in the middle, Sheldon represents his geek and nerd side and Penny the "normal" side, and they are constantly fighting to get his attention. In what referes to romance, Sheldon has being excluding himself as early as in the pilot episode, he knew Leonard was pinning after Penny and he showed not interest at all.

They won't solit up shamy . They bring too much comedy to the shows so why would the writers replace a funny relationship(shamy) with a weird , brothe on sister-like romantic relatioship that is sure to disappoint most people and subsequently , their ratings will drop dramatically!!

I'm with you here too. We may like it or not, but the one character that was created and is being developed to become Sheldon's romantic interest is no other than Amy, and, it the number of viewers is an indication, many people out there is liking the idea and even perhaps, rooting for them.

• Like 1

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Sarah7 your whole post. ALL THE AWARDS.:icon_mrgreen:

And specially, this part:

Once I read a really long comment in this board that suggested Penny-Leonard-Sheldon was an stablished "romantic" triangle, and I agree to an extent, but, as I see it, the third in dispute is not Penny, it's Leonard. He is the one who is in the middle, Sheldon represents his geek and nerd side and Penny the "normal" side, and they are constantly fighting to get his attention. In what referes to romance, Sheldon has being excluding himself as early as in the pilot episode, he knew Leonard was pinning after Penny and he showed not interest at all.

this is seriously one of the best analysis of the dynamics of the show I have ever read.

This is why I've always wondered why people think the show is primarily about Sheldon. To me, Leonard has always been the main focus of the show.

This is why I've always wondered why people think the show is primarily about Sheldon. To me, Leonard has always been the main focus of the show.

It has always seemed to me that Leonard is the main character on the show and the storyline is primarily about his relationship with Penny. It seemed obvious to me from the very first show.

It has always seemed to me that Leonard is the main character on the show and the storyline is primarily about his relationship with Penny. It seemed obvious to me from the very first show.

Ditto. Leonard is not my favorite at all, but he IS the main character on the show.

Sarah7 your whole post. ALL THE AWARDS.:icon_mrgreen:

And specially, this part:

this is seriously one of the best analysis of the dynamics of the show I have ever read.

I agree, it is spot-on, and I think a similar comment was once made by one of the writers themselves - that right from the pilot, Penny is pulling Leonard towards the 'normal' world, and Sheldon is pulling him away from it, and therein lies the main conflict point of the show.

I would not know how to define the 'main' character - Leonard, Sheldon and Penny all seem like central characters to me - but I've always seen it as Leonard (specifically his relationship with Penny) being the emotional core of the show, while Sheldon is the most popular character and the comedic core.

• 3 weeks later...

How can u say Penny and Sheldon could never be a couple? Sheldon turns to Penny every single time he has a problem, is sick, confused, WHATEVER! You say he has no respect for her, yet he is constantly asking her opinion, and seems to value her advice over all the "genius" characters. When they argue, Penny is never intimidated by his genius and manages to cut him down to size. Sheldon is used to winning every argument, but Penny doesn't give in to him. She shows him a different way of looking at things. He seems to know that she has the street-smarts he and the others are lacking and recognizes the value of her special kind of intelligence. Who could Sheldon EVER look up to intellectually? No one, because he thinks he is superior to most everyone, and if someone came along who was indeed smarter than him, he could never handle it! (Remember that kid in one episode who got his doctorate at an earlier age than Sheldon? He completely lost it). So how much of a stretch would it be for him to realize that what he really wants and needs is someone who can challenge him on a playing field he is copmletely unaccustomed to? He IS still a man, and sooner or later his libido WILL kick in, and who can Sheldon turn to in his confusion on the matter? Who else, the same person he has ALWAYS turned to: knock knock knock PENNY, knock knock knock PENNY, knock knock knock PENNY!!!!!

How can u say Penny and Sheldon could never be a couple? Sheldon turns to Penny every single time he has a problem, is sick, confused, WHATEVER! You say he has no respect for her, yet he is constantly asking her opinion, and seems to value her advice over all the "genius" characters. When they argue, Penny is never intimidated by his genius and manages to cut him down to size. Sheldon is used to winning every argument, but Penny doesn't give in to him. She shows him a different way of looking at things. He seems to know that she has the street-smarts he and the others are lacking and recognizes the value of her special kind of intelligence. Who could Sheldon EVER look up to intellectually? No one, because he thinks he is superior to most everyone, and if someone came along who was indeed smarter than him, he could never handle it! (Remember that kid in one episode who got his doctorate at an earlier age than Sheldon? He completely lost it). So how much of a stretch would it be for him to realize that what he really wants and needs is someone who can challenge him on a playing field he is copmletely unaccustomed to? He IS still a man, and sooner or later his libido WILL kick in, and who can Sheldon turn to in his confusion on the matter? Who else, the same person he has ALWAYS turned to: knock knock knock PENNY, knock knock knock PENNY, knock knock knock PENNY!!!!!

Sheldon treats Penny like his mommy and Penny treats him like the little boy she never had. Watch the episode where she took him to Disney Land. They idea of two people who have that type of relationship actually getting together in a romantic liaison borders on the perverse.

^ I'm curious how their relationship would differ from a myriad of others in fiction. As far back as I Love Lucy, with the infantilization of Lucy, a mother-son, father-daughter dynamic between couples has been played for laughs.

I don't think Sheldon and Penny should get together, but I think your argument is a weak one. At the end of the day, Sheldon's an adult, and so's Penny, and they're not related.

How can u say Penny and Sheldon could never be a couple?

No one here needs to say it. The producers and the cast have already said it is not going to happen, several times.

It would destroy the premise of the show (Leonard and Sheldon would end their relationship immediately) and the casual fans of TBBT, those millions of folks who bring in the ratings and money, would be horrified or confused to say the least. There is simply no up side to doing a Sheldon/Penny romance for anyone who would make that decision.

Yes Sheldon does need to realize someday that what he calls knowledge is not everything - but that does not have to be done with having a relationship with Penny. If he ends up having a relationship with Penny, it will completely change him as a person, therefore his relationship with others, therefore also other characters, the plot and hence the entire show.

Only sheldon can learn the ways of the world, through experience and time, I don't think he can learn entirely from Penny.

I don't know why there is so much pressure for them to be more than friends, its not like these girl-boy friendships are rare.

Also I hate the pressure on sheldon to be more human, I enjoy his very different views to nature and the power to not see sex as a 'must.' Why can't he just be the way he is? Its not just him, lots of people in reality give up sex.

^ I'm curious how their relationship would differ from a myriad of others in fiction. As far back as I Love Lucy, with the infantilization of Lucy, a mother-son, father-daughter dynamic between couples has been played for laughs.

I don't think Sheldon and Penny should get together, but I think your argument is a weak one. At the end of the day, Sheldon's an adult, and so's Penny, and they're not related.

No, they're not related, but that's irrelevant. Penny loves Sheldon like she would love her kid brother, based on how their personalities play out together. Having complimentary body parts and being at low risk for genetic mutation is not going to change their feelings toward one another.

The big difference between Lucy and Ricki, and Penny and Sheldon, is that the Ricardos were actually attracted to each other.

Granted, Sheldon has at one time or another expressed that Penny is healthy-looking, or good-looking, but he stated that as if it were just generally accepted as fact, and he has never made any allusions to the idea of pursuing her, or anyone else (where Amy is concerned, Sheldon is the one being pursued).

I would say that Penny and Sheldons relationship is more brother/sister close friends thing than anything else, both of them go to each other be it for advice or when Sheldon is sick and hurt in Penny's case, i like their relationship, they have some good lines together and they are the funniest non-couple in the show

It will be good to see how far the writers can take Sheldon and Amy because she is getting to him slowly and he knows it

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I used to be a Shamy-ite but after reading a ton of fanfiction with the Shamy & Shenny, I've come around to the Shenny pov. ( & I think Amy is ideal for Leonard)

I do think Penny (who in my opinion is smart) has enough commonsense to deal with Sheldon, rather like his mother & at the same time I do sense the undeniable chemistry between the two. I see Sheldon needing Penny, a vortex to overcome all the defenses he has built since childhood to save himself from hurt, but which are imprisoning him. He needs rescuing & with Penny, Sheldon really is her knight. They're playful and fun & even argue in a fun non-mean way.

So reminds me of Pride & Prejudice! Nice Darcy analogy!

in all fairness though, in fanfiction anything is possible... the show is another tale

also, I'm more of an Elinor Dashwood/Edward Ferrars kinda girl, but that's a different Austen novel LOL

in all fairness though, in fanfiction anything is possible... the show is another tale

also, I'm more of an Elinor Dashwood/Edward Ferrars kinda girl, but that's a different Austen novel LOL

It's funny as I started reading fanfiction for the romantic Shamy & it wasn't romantic rather angsty/ angry; with a pushing Amy and a reluctant Sheldon..wow those characters have their own opinions.

I agree about the show the Shamy is here to stay.

hehe, I loved the Ang Lee movie of S&S with Emma Thompson but she didn't wind up with Edward:icon_lol:

It's funny as I started reading fanfiction for the romantic Shamy & it wasn't romantic rather angsty/ angry; with a pushing Amy and a reluctant Sheldon..wow those characters have their own opinions.

I agree about the show the Shamy is here to stay.

hehe, I loved the Ang Lee movie of S&S with Emma Thompson but she didn't wind up with Edward:icon_lol:

omm, yes she did! Lucy marries his younger brother Robert and he goes to Elinor in the end, and he proposes. At the end of the film @Marianne's & Colonel Brandon's wedding they are together, implying they are already married. But we are straying from the thing LOL

But yes, fanfics are great, but I do not like to mix them with the show, it's a totally different universe.

Okay I used to be a Shamy-ite but after reading a ton of fanfiction with the Shamy & Shenny, I've come around to the Shenny pov. ( & I think Amy is ideal for Leonard)

I do think Penny (who in my opinion is smart) has enough commonsense to deal with Sheldon, rather like his mother & at the same time I do sense the undeniable chemistry between the two. I see Sheldon needing Penny, a vortex to overcome all the defenses he has built since childhood to save himself from hurt, but which are imprisoning him. He needs rescuing & with Penny, Sheldon really is her knight. They're playful and fun & even argue in a fun non-mean way.

Oh Annie, I wonder which kind of fics you have been reading! :icon_cheesygrin:

Could those be the ones in wich Amy is this little pathetic soul who "only wants to be looooooooved! :icon_cry:" ?(I SO hate those! :icon_frown:)

Amy is nothing like that. I'm amazed at how difficult is for the audience (even fans and Shamy-shippers) to truly get Amy. In many, many fics I've read, she is portrayed as too "normal", wanting a "normal" relationship with Sheldon, and, in my opinion, she is not!

She was originally created as a "female Sheldon" for a reason: She is a highly-intelligent, eccentric, quirky, bi-curious, socially-awkward, maybe Aspie woman-child. Extremely vulnerable but also a cold scientist by heart. In the group, the only one who truly understands and identifies with her is Sheldon (and viceversa), the others have grown to have affection for her and to tolerate her and put up with her quirks (as they do with Sheldon) but I don't think she would be capable to have a "normal" relationship with anybody else but him.

I respect your opinion and newly acquired preferences but I find Amy/Leonard an horrible pairing. I even think it would be a more plausible a Leonard/Bernardette.

Amy doesn't like Leonard physically or romantically (she doesn't seems to like him very much in other aspects either) and the feeling is mutual. I know some people say Amy wants sex and romance and Leonard would be willing to give it to her (I have my doubts, I think he would be very turned off by the many similarities she has with his mother and with Sheldon), I disagree, sex is not everything in life, and Amy, despite her eagerness to experience it, seems to value much more other things, like the compatibility she has with Sheldon and their intellectual connection.

So, L and A should pursue a relationship, even if they don't connect and don't really like each other, just because she wants some lovin' and the bespecled guy would bang anyone with boobs and an skirt and wants someone willing to get steady with him? Ugh, sorry, but no.

Now, in the other hand, we have discussed over and over how wrong and far-fetched is a hook up between the blonde and the arrogant, crazy guy, I have just two things to add to the controversy right now:

1. Sheldon is no "Mr. Darcy", he's not a brooding romantic figure, a white knight in disguise (that's also fanfiction-only characterization), he's an stubborn, egotist, exasperating man-child.

2. If he has been so reluctant to start and advance a relationship with Amy, a woman he likes, respects and cares for, why on earth would he be willing to have one with a woman he's not attracted to, thinks is so beneath him, with whom is clashing all the time, doesn't have any kind of compatibility, etc., etc.? He will need to be brainwashed, lose his memory, being hit by a train.....

Oh!, and, still, if you want to read romantic, non-angsty fics with good Shamy characterization, I'll gladly give you a short list :icon_wink:

• Like 1

Oh Annie, I wonder which kind of fics you have been reading! :icon_cheesygrin:

Could those be the ones in wich Amy is this little pathetic soul who "only wants to be looooooooved! :icon_cry:" ?(I SO hate those! :icon_frown:)

Amy is nothing like that. I'm amazed at how difficult is for the audience (even fans and Shamy-shippers) to truly get Amy. In many, many fics I've read, she is portrayed as too "normal", wanting a "normal" relationship with Sheldon, and, in my opinion, she is not!

She was originally created as a "female Sheldon" for a reason: She is a highly-intelligent, eccentric, quirky, bi-curious, socially-awkward, maybe Aspie woman-child. Extremely vulnerable but also a cold scientist by heart. In the group, the only one who truly understands and identifies with her is Sheldon (and viceversa), the others have grown to have affection for her and to tolerate her and put up with her quirks (as they do with Sheldon) but I don't think she would be capable to have a "normal" relationship with anybody else but him.

I respect your opinion and newly acquired preferences but I find Amy/Leonard an horrible pairing. I even think it would be a more plausible a Leonard/Bernardette.

Amy doesn't like Leonard physically or romantically (she doesn't seems to like him very much in other aspects either) and the feeling is mutual. I know some people say Amy wants sex and romance and Leonard would be willing to give it to her (I have my doubts, I think he would be very turned off by the many similarities she has with his mother and with Sheldon), I disagree, sex is not everything in life, and Amy, despite her eagerness to experience it, seems to value much more other things, like the compatibility she has with Sheldon and their intellectual connection.

So, L and A should pursue a relationship, even if they don't connect and don't really like each other, just because she wants some lovin' and the bespecled guy would bang anyone with boobs and an skirt and wants someone willing to get steady with him? Ugh, sorry, but no.

Now, in the other hand, we have discussed over and over how wrong and far-fetched is a hook up between the blonde and the arrogant, crazy guy, I have just two things to add to the controversy right now:

1. Sheldon is no "Mr. Darcy", he's not a brooding romantic figure, a white knight in disguise (that's also fanfiction-only characterization), he's an stubborn, egotist, exasperating man-child.

2. If he has been so reluctant to start and advance a relationship with Amy, a woman he likes, respects and cares for, why on earth would he be willing to have one with a woman he's not attracted to, thinks is so beneath him, with whom is clashing all the time, doesn't have any kind of compatibility, etc., etc.? He will need to be brainwashed, lose his memory, being hit by a train.....

Oh!, and, still, if you want to read romantic, non-angsty fics with good Shamy characterization, I'll gladly give you a short list :icon_wink:

Excellent!