PENNY AND SHELDON MAYBE?

Penny & Sheldon a Couple  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Penny & Sheldon a Couple

• YES
    • NO

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

These 'Sheldon hits puberty' comments crack me up! Sheldon isn't Dennis Kim. He's thirty + years old. He's not going to 'hit puberty' and suddenly decide Penny is the hot chick of his dreams.

I used puberty for a couple reasons

1) The conversation between Sheldon and his mother in The Rhinitis Revelation which is what made me think of the term.

2) Just for all the growing up he did in season 5

3) When Penny tries to convince Sheldon to let her cut his hair in The Werewolf Transformation reminds me of a conversation between two young teenagers.

If you have a better term for Sheldon’s growth in season 5 please feel free to use it.

you are totally forgetting the "Amy factor" in all of this puberty/growing talk. If someone is leading Sheldon "to hit puberty" she is the one who is leading him to that (the Star Trek scene couldn't be more obvious in that respect)

regarding your points:

1) Amy was the one who told Sheldon that in the "matter of emotions, you're just like everyone else"

2) Most of his growing up in Season 5 was Amy related

3) Before agreeing to Penny cutting his hair, he asked Amy for advice.

again, don't underestimate Amy Farrah Fowler, who is, for all intents and purposes SHELDON'S GIRLFRIEND and the fist (and I would dare to see the ONLY) woman he has ever shown "romantic" interest in.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nick, my biggest complaint against this particular crusade of yours is: Boy, you are giving them too much free publicity!   I mean, think about it: there must be.... what?..... about a dozen of them

This is a very interesting post and I agree. But I also think that this season is building toward a shift in this current paradigm. I think a large part of Penny's insecurities and this most recent

When the show started, Penny was an outside observer of the two nerds across the hall and their two friends, She was both mystified and amused about their strange world, she had her own friends and ac

Posted Images

again, don't underestimate Amy Farrah Fowler, who is, for all intents and purposes SHELDON'S GIRLFRIEND and the fist (and I would dare to see the ONLY) woman he has ever shown "romantic" interest in.

Exactly. This is spot on and cannot be reasonably debated anymore. Amy IS Sheldon's girlfriend and IS the FIRST and will most likely be the only woman that Sheldon will show romantic interest in for the rest of the shows duration.

These 'Sheldon hits puberty' comments crack me up! Sheldon isn't Dennis Kim. He's thirty + years old. He's not going to 'hit puberty' and suddenly decide Penny is the hot chick of his dreams.

I used puberty for a couple reasons

1) The conversation between Sheldon and his mother in The Rhinitis Revelation which is what made me think of the term.

2) Just for all the growing up he did in season 5

3) When Penny tries to convince Sheldon to let her cut his hair in The Werewolf Transformation reminds me of a conversation between two young teenagers.

If you have a better term for Sheldon’s growth in season 5 please feel free to use it.

you are totally forgetting the "Amy factor" in all of this puberty/growing talk. If someone is leading Sheldon "to hit puberty" she is the one who is leading him to that (the Star Trek scene couldn't be more obvious in that respect)

regarding your points:

1) Amy was the one who told Sheldon that in the "matter of emotions, you're just like everyone else"

2) Most of his growing up in Season 5 was Amy related

3) Before agreeing to Penny cutting his hair, he asked Amy for advice.

You are correct Amy is a driving force in Sheldon’s growth.

Penny is more of a facilitator.

Mrs. Cooper and dream Spock have played a role as well.

I would never underestimate Amy she is a fun character and a good girlfriend for Sheldon.

As I have said before the writers changed how Penny and Sheldon interact in the fifth season. This makes me see them as a potential couple and wonder what the writers are up to.

Exactly. This is spot on and cannot be reasonably debated anymore. Amy IS Sheldon's girlfriend and IS the FIRST and will most likely be the only woman that Sheldon will show romantic interest in for the rest of the shows duration.

7 years and only one girlfriend would be almost unheard of on a sitcom.

As I have said before the writers changed how Penny and Sheldon interact in the fifth season. This makes me see them as a potential couple and wonder what the writers are up to.

Their interactions have changed but it doesn't make for it being pro romantic. In fact its been the exact opposite. The writers have only continued to firmly cement the two has being friends/rivals in what little interaction they had throughout the season. Then you throw in what the writers have done with regards to Amy and Sheldon and how Amy's been the catalyst for the most drastic changes in the way Sheldon is very slowly coming out of his shell just strengthens the argument against the writers entertaining any notion of pairing these two. The argument and evidence for Shenny has never being particularly strong even in the earlier seasons but season five even less so. You also can't forget that season five only reinforced(where you like the pairing or not)Leonard and Penny and pushed that relationship forward in it's development. If the writers we're really entertaining the notion of possibly pairing these two together they would already have started laying the groundwork for it and they haven't. The 100th episode would most likely have been where they would have started, if they had intended to go that route, because that episode was(admitted by the shows creators and writers)a call back to the pilot and the original premise of the show. To acknowledge where the show began and to do a little foreshadowing of where the show was going to go in the future. The episode ultimately was about Leonard and Penny but it also reinforced the other couples H/B and S/A.

True but Sheldon is also not a typical sitcom character. Not by a long-shot and therefore that "rule" wouldn't apply to him. Even right now many of the conventional relationship tropes that play out in on sitcoms are being twisted in a big way to accommodate Sheldon/Amy, which makes for a very refreshing take on this and is why their relationship is the most popular amongst fandom right now. This also helps to debunk the notion that a Sheldon/Penny pairing is in any form of consideration. The writers would not be investing this amount of time and consideration into S/A if S/P was in the works, not at this stage in the shows life.

But Sheldon isn't an ordinary sitcom character when it comes to romance or girlfriends, so him having only one girlfriend isn't unrealistic. It took him four seasons to even begin to hang out with Amy, and only on a strictly platonic basis, even though she was, as he put it, the person most suited to him.

I don't see him going from someone like Amy as his girlfriend to someone like Penny, who operates on a completely different plane.

But Sheldon isn't an ordinary sitcom character when it comes to romance or girlfriends, so him having only one girlfriend isn't unrealistic. It took him four seasons to even begin to hang out with Amy, and only on a strictly platonic basis, even though she was, as he put it, the person most suited to him.

I don't see him going from someone like Amy as his girlfriend to someone like Penny, who operates on a completely different plane.

I like Amy very much, I see them both as appropriate catalysts for one another for growth. Amy has strong sexual feelings viz; Zack but nil social ones. Sheldon is now venturing out & whom would he be safer with than Amy? who is just like him & has no experience. As a couple; they're like training wheels. Meanwhile Penny develops & matures intellectually, while Sheldon is developing emotionally.

I like Amy very much, I see them both as appropriate catalysts for one another for growth. Amy has strong sexual feelings viz; Zack but nil social ones. Sheldon is now venturing out & whom would he be safer with than Amy? who is just like him & has no experience. As a couple; they're like training wheels. Meanwhile Penny develops & matures intellectually, while Sheldon is developing emotionally.

So Amy is softening Sheldon up? She's just the training ground until he comes to the realisation that what he really needs in life, is a girl who's only real interest is shoes. *snicker* sorry couldn't resist

@DPK

I agree. Shenny seemed more possible to me in the earlier seasons. Now she seems to be less tolerant of him (there's a lot of eye rolling) and he's not changed towards her much at all. As for any foreshadowing, these writers are too instant for that. They don't story arc at all, they take each episode as it comes. Half the script is changed from the initial table reading, as they read and rehearse it. The actors have all said they have had to learn new lines on rehearsal and they even change lines on the day of taping, if they audience doesn't react how they want. I for one hope shenny doesn't happen beacuse they have such a great comic antagonism and adding romantic sentiment would be more than risky. How could Sheldon describe Penny as 'a woman who's respect for society verges on the sociopathic' ? He couldn't. If they were involved, that sort of line would be greeted with grasps of horror.

Oh just to clarify I meant Shenny foreshadowing in season 5, I'm sure ep 100 would have had some message, just due to the milestone of it :)

So Amy is softening Sheldon up? She's just the training ground until he comes to the realisation that what he really needs in life, is a girl who's only real interest is shoes. *snicker* sorry couldn't resist

Sarcasm aside this is a good point.

While Sheldon is slowly opening up and allowing to himself to experience his humanity a bit, to say that this suddenly makes him compatible for Penny isn't true. There are plenty of other incompatibilities between the two that would make the pairing highly improbable. They share little common interests. That alone is the most damaging point to their pairing. While you could initially level that point against Leonard and Penny there's a very key difference. Leonard doesn't care that much and he's willing to compromise and to put in the work to find common ground with her. That is something Sheldon not only isn't willing to do, but very likely would never be willing to do. Here we have another start contrast when it comes to Amy vs Penny. With Amy, Sheldon doesn't have to do that because she's as passionate about science as he is and for Sheldon that is the most important thing.

As for any foreshadowing, these writers are too instant for that. They don't story arc at all, they take each episode as it comes. Half the script is changed from the initial table reading, as they read and rehearse it. The actors have all said they have had to learn new lines on rehearsal and they even change lines on the day of taping, if they audience doesn't react how they want. I for one hope shenny doesn't happen beacuse they have such a great comic antagonism and adding romantic sentiment would be more than risky. How could Sheldon describe Penny as 'a woman who's respect for society verges on the sociopathic' ? He couldn't. If they were involved, that sort of line would be greeted with grasps of horror.

They do a little bit. They don't foreshadow as much as other programs but they do have writers meetings where they talk about where they want to take the characters over the coarse of the season. They'll throw in little hints here and there but it's nowhere near as heavy handed as you would find in a drama like Breaking Bad. Yes they do make changes to script throughout the rehearsal process and even during tapings but that is more for purely the comedy aspect, it doesn't totally change the outcome of the storyline. There is a difference. They have a blue print of where they want to go but often times they'll change how they get there.

As it pertains to Sheldon/Penny. They would absolutely have to lay groundwork for it, a lot of it, even though it would really lack credibility they'd still have to do it. We can give the writers grief for a lot of things none of them would be dumb enough to have Sheldon/Penny randomly happening with seemingly little to no build up.

Sarcasm aside this is a good point.

While Sheldon is slowly opening up and allowing to himself to experience his humanity a bit, to say that this suddenly makes him compatible for Penny isn't true. There are plenty of other incompatibilities between the two that would make the pairing highly improbable. They share little common interests. That alone is the most damaging point to their pairing. While you could initially level that point against Leonard and Penny there's a very key difference. Leonard doesn't care that much and he's willing to compromise and to put in the work to find common ground with her. That is something Sheldon not only isn't willing to do, but very likely would never be willing to do. Here we have another start contrast when it comes to Amy vs Penny. With Amy, Sheldon doesn't have to do that because she's as passionate about science as he is and for Sheldon that is the most important thing.

As for any foreshadowing, these writers are too instant for that. They don't story arc at all, they take each episode as it comes. Half the script is changed from the initial table reading, as they read and rehearse it. The actors have all said they have had to learn new lines on rehearsal and they even change lines on the day of taping, if they audience doesn't react how they want. I for one hope shenny doesn't happen beacuse they have such a great comic antagonism and adding romantic sentiment would be more than risky. How could Sheldon describe Penny as 'a woman who's respect for society verges on the sociopathic' ? He couldn't. If they were involved, that sort of line would be greeted with grasps of horror.

They do a little bit. They don't foreshadow as much as other programs but they do have writers meetings where they talk about where they want to take the characters over the coarse of the season. They'll throw in little hints here and there but it's nowhere near as heavy handed as you would find in a drama like Breaking Bad. Yes they do make changes to script throughout the rehearsal process and even during tapings but that is more for purely the comedy aspect, it doesn't totally change the outcome of the storyline. There is a difference. They have a blue print of where they want to go but often times they'll change how they get there.

As it pertains to Sheldon/Penny. They would absolutely have to lay groundwork for it, a lot of it, even though it would really lack credibility they'd still have to do it. We can give the writers grief for a lot of things none of them would be dumb enough to have Sheldon/Penny randomly happening with seemingly little to no build up.

Oh, I wasn't aware they had meetings. I know they didn't in the early days but I suppose they must have too, now the show is so popular and they have more characters. I think you are right in saying there's not enough build up for shenny. First they would have to deconstruct Sheldon/Amy and split up Penny/Leonard in a very finite way, so we knew they were totally finished. It doesn't look likely with the finale and hand holding. But if there are ever any indicators, most of us will clock it right away. It's a hotly debated topic here on the forum.

Oh, I wasn't aware they had meetings. I know they didn't in the early days but I suppose they must have too, now the show is so popular and they have more characters. I think you are right in saying there's not enough build up for shenny. First they would have to deconstruct Sheldon/Amy and split up Penny/Leonard in a very finite way, so we knew they were totally finished. It doesn't look likely with the finale and hand holding. But if there are ever any indicators, most of us will clock it right away. It's a hotly debated topic here on the forum.

I kind of wonder what it would take to get noticed by most people on this board.

For me it was we are not a couple and old married couple but for some people I am not sure sex would be enough.

So there is a question for everyone what would the writers have to do make you say are they up to something with Penny and Sheldon?

I kind of wonder what it would take to get noticed by most people on this board.

For me it was we are not a couple and old married couple but for some people I am not sure sex would be enough.

So there is a question for everyone what would the writers have to do make you say are they up to something with Penny and Sheldon?

I already wrote it, Penny and Leonard would have to split up... for good. If Sheldon dated Penny while Leonard was still in love with her, what happens to the rest of the group? They are all Leonard's friends. Would he be friends with Sheldon? It would have to be done, over... No more, on again, off again. And Amy's clearly in love with Sheldon so she'd have to go.

The most telling thing about the infestation episode is not the old married couple line, it's what happens in Sheldons imaginings shortly afterwards. Penny cleans the chair and he still can't accept it. 'it is a comfortable chair...' he says before he's attacked by an imaginary infestation.

I already wrote it, Penny and Leonard would have to split up... for good. If Sheldon dated Penny while Leonard was still in love with her, what happens to the rest of the group? They are all Leonard's friends. Would he be friends with Sheldon? It would have to be done, over... No more, on again, off again. And Amy's clearly in love with Sheldon so she'd have to go.

The most telling thing about the infestation episode is not the old married couple line, it's what happens in Sheldons imaginings shortly afterwards. Penny cleans the chair and he still can't accept it. 'it is a comfortable chair...' he says before he's attacked by an imaginary infestation.

I was kind of hoping for something the writers could do between Penny and Sheldon not what Leonard could do.

You do remember the chair actually was infested?

Penny finding out and worrying about Sheldon finding out is very old married couple.

P.S. I think part of the reason they can do a lot with Penny and Sheldon and not trigger a response is because Sheldon is so innocent.

So one for Leonard breaks up with Penny.

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I was kind of hoping for something the writers could do between Penny and Sheldon not what Leonard could do.

Penny finding out and worrying about Sheldon finding out is very old married couple.

P.S. I think part of the reason they can do a lot with Penny and Sheldon and not trigger a response is because Sheldon is so innocent.

Sheldon is innocent (don't completely agree though), but he is not an a**le. Even Sheldon knows that going out with your best friend's ex-girlfriend is not right. Specially the one who broke his heart numerous times, and to whom he even proposed.

Regarding your question. IMO there is nothing the writers could do to make me believe in a Sheldon/Penny pairing. Nothing unless you erase everything that has happenned so far and transform Sheldon & Penny's characters into something completely different. If that ever happens, that's the day I'm quitting the show. For me, it would be a total betrayal of Sheldon and Leonard's friendship, which is the base of this show (and it would also betray Penny and Amy's friendship BTW).

Doesn't matter if Leonard dumps Penny or if she dumps him. That doesn't erase the past, that wouldn't erase everything that happenned between them. You think if Leonard ever dumps Penny, even after, that he wouldn't care? if you do, then you don't understand his character.

And you don't understand Sheldon's character either. Sheldon would never go for someone like Penny in a believable way. All the other guys go for Penny. Sheldon is NOT the "other guys" and that's what the show has spent so many scripts setting on. And I understand that it is one of the reasons why many Shenny shipperrs want it to happen. Because he is "different" but, at the same time, if it ever does happen, then that reason doesn't exist anymore. Because he would become the others, going after the "hot" chic. }

Now, another argument a lot of Sheldon/Penny fans say is "yes, but he wouldn't go for her being "hot"".. then... why would he? He doesn't respect her intellect, he belittles her carreer all the time, he thinks she is promiscuous. Some say to this "he would go for her, because she is warm, and she takes him out of his shell". She is not warm. All the time she has been in a relationship with Leonard, HE has been the warm/nurturing/romantic side of the relationship. Not Penny. In that respect, she is as cold as Sheldon, and even more I would say, because Sheldon has shown to be supportive to Amy in ways Penny has never been to Leonard (The Isolation Permutation). And regarding "taking him out of his shell", I say, is more like "yelling the hell out of his shell". A common argument too from Shenny shippers is: "she pushes his buttons and doesn't take his crap. Sheldon needs that". I agree in a way, but my answer to that is Mary Cooper: "you have to treat him like a baby deer, let him come to you". Penny doesn't do that. She yells at him, she has punched him in the face. She threatens him. That is not a healthy way to "bring someone out of his shell", specially in a relationship. Also considering, how much Sheldon hates fighting and yelling (Guitarrist Amplification). In the other hand, Amy, or example, takes him out of his shell but in a way of provoking for him to come out. She doesn't push him. She does things and waits for him. And ultimately, HE is the one coming out and acting upon it. Just like Mary Cooper said, she is letting him come to her.

I don't have a problem with anyone shipping Sheldon/Penny. To each it's own. But it is tyring to keep reading Shenny shippers saying that "everything is there" when it's clearly not. It's a totally subjective view. Using the same arguments, I could also say that the show is laying basis for a Penny/Howard relationship, or even more so, for a Penny/Raj relationship, which even has MORE groundwork thatn a potential Sheldon/Penny on the show. I guess you could say "everything is subjective" and it is true. But the evidence on the show points to the contrary. Penny is with Leonard, Sheldon is with Amy. FACTS. Not that it ever stopped anyone.

Wishing for something else it's a different story. Wish away. But so far, it hasn't happenned, no matter how you look at it.

• Like 1

Re; Sheldon & Penny, all the writers would have to do is for them to have a huge fight with banishing & try to go for a week without each other's company. No sex, just the reality of how much they are a part of each other's lives; how much they mean to one another. There are plenty of other ways. Sheldon gets drugged/ or is in a minor car crash in Penny's car in the ER with drugs; he dreams he's accepting his Nobel Prize & 'Mrs. Cooper' turns out to be Penny. Hello Id. it's rich fodder, as Doug said, they've foreshadowed them & since Sheldon is innocent there are plenty of ways.

Leonard cheats with comic book girl/breaks up with Penny. Easy. Amy has another big fight with Sheldon over neuobiology vs theoretical physics & they call it all off as they did before, or she falls for another muscular hulk like Zack. Only this time instead of cats Sheldon innocently goes to Penny. It's not hard to write at all.

(as for the 'leonard is my best friend issue'; arctic. Leonard, Raj, Howard owes him massively & yeah Sheldon is a keen chess playing strategist. )

Just try and remove all the Penny/Sheldon scenes in the show, you can't; Sheldon's most complex relationship is with Penny. For those who can't see it, you can't.

Re; Sheldon & Penny, all the writers would have to do is for them to have a huge fight with banishing & try to go for a week without each other's company. No sex, just the reality of how much they are a part of each other's lives; how much they mean to one another. There are plenty of other ways. Sheldon gets drugged/ or is in a minor car crash in Penny's car in the ER with drugs; he dreams he's accepting his Nobel Prize & 'Mrs. Cooper' turns out to be Penny. Hello Id. it's rich fodder, as Doug said, they've foreshadowed them & since Sheldon is innocent there are plenty of ways.

Leonard cheats with comic book girl/breaks up with Penny. Easy. Amy has another big fight with Sheldon over neuobiology vs theoretical physics & they call it all off as they did before, or she falls for another muscular hulk like Zack. Only this time instead of cats Sheldon innocently goes to Penny. It's not hard to write at all.

(as for the 'leonard is my best friend issue'; arctic. Leonard, Raj, Howard owes him massively & yeah Sheldon is a keen chess playing strategist. )

Just try and remove all the Penny/Sheldon scenes in the show, you can't; Sheldon's most complex relationship is with Penny. For those who can't see it, you can't.

Just could not resist.

What I still have not heard explained is why would the producers do this? They are currently the number 1 comedy on the air. What precedent can be sited where a massively successful sitcom trashes it basic relationships that got it to the top? When shows start slipping in the rating is when they double down on the relationships (marriages, babies). What would be the catalyst for such a dramatic change?

Just could not resist.

What I still have not heard explained is why would the producers do this? They are currently the number 1 comedy on the air. What precedent can be sited where a massively successful sitcom trashes it basic relationships that got it to the top? When shows start slipping in the rating is when they double down on the relationships (marriages, babies). What would be the catalyst for such a dramatic change?

First I agree with annieogly Sheldon and Penny scenes are the heart of the show.

Regardless of there relationship status.

Stagnation is a shows greatest enemy.

Penny and Leonard’s relationship has been IMO beaten to death.

It is starting to be a drain on both on the show and the characters.

How bad this relationship has gotten may even explain part of my new found openness to Penny and Sheldon.

Just could not resist.

Stagnation is a shows greatest enemy.

Penny and Leonard’s relationship has been IMO beaten to death.

It is starting to be a drain on both on the show and the characters.

How bad this relationship has gotten may even explain part of my new found openness to Penny and Sheldon.

So stagnation is a problem with very successful, long running shows. So the solution is to destroy the three relationships at the heart of TBBT, Leonard-Sheldon, Lenny and Shamy.

Question. When has this "solution" to this common problem ever been done in TV history?

So to prevent "stagnation" they should have Sheldon and Penny get together. Doesn't anyone remember the episode where Penny brought Sheldon back from Disneyland? After watching that episode alone, how in the world could anyone think to themselves "these two need to have sex together" is beyond me. It would make nearly as much sense to promote the idea of Sheldon getting together with his mother. How about Penny falling in love with a grade school kid? To me the whole idea is repugnant, and from the responses from the writers, actors, and TPTB of the show, they feel the same. I keep hearing "Sheldon is so cute and there is "chemistry" between him and Penny", what they fail to mention it is more along the line of an aunt and her young nephew.

Putting them together would accomplish preventing the possibility of the show stagnating because it would end it.

I still say there is an organization somewhere that sends Shippers to this forum complete with talking points. Some Shenny HQ being run by a 15 year old girl that sees everything on TBBT as a precursor to the utopian Shenny reality. Doesn't matter how logically you refute their argument. They will never listen.

• Like 1

I still say there is an organization somewhere that sends Shippers to this forum complete with talking points. Some Shenny HQ being run by a 15 year old girl that sees everything on TBBT as a precursor to the utopian Shenny reality. Doesn't matter how logically you refute their argument. They will never listen.

Your two last sentences are the reason why I won`t argue about this anymore.

I should know better too. Logic does not work. I'm out.

The reason why I didn't even start trying. :D

The reason why I didn't even start trying. :D

sounds good to me.:icon_biggrin: