PENNY AND SHELDON MAYBE?

Penny & Sheldon a Couple  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Penny & Sheldon a Couple

• YES
    • NO

Re; Sheldon & Penny, all the writers would have to do is for them to have a huge fight with banishing & try to go for a week without each other's company. No sex, just the reality of how much they are a part of each other's lives; how much they mean to one another. There are plenty of other ways. Sheldon gets drugged/ or is in a minor car crash in Penny's car in the ER with drugs; he dreams he's accepting his Nobel Prize & 'Mrs. Cooper' turns out to be Penny. Hello Id. it's rich fodder, as Doug said, they've foreshadowed them & since Sheldon is innocent there are plenty of ways.

Leonard cheats with comic book girl/breaks up with Penny. Easy. Amy has another big fight with Sheldon over neuobiology vs theoretical physics & they call it all off as they did before, or she falls for another muscular hulk like Zack. Only this time instead of cats Sheldon innocently goes to Penny. It's not hard to write at all.

(as for the 'leonard is my best friend issue'; arctic. Leonard, Raj, Howard owes him massively & yeah Sheldon is a keen chess playing strategist. )

Just try and remove all the Penny/Sheldon scenes in the show, you can't; Sheldon's most complex relationship is with Penny. For those who can't see it, you can't.

I guess for you the question would be what first made you think the writers where up to something?

Just could not resist.

What I still have not heard explained is why would the producers do this? They are currently the number 1 comedy on the air. What precedent can be sited where a massively successful sitcom trashes it basic relationships that got it to the top? When shows start slipping in the rating is when they double down on the relationships (marriages, babies). What would be the catalyst for such a dramatic change?

Stagnation is a shows greatest enemy.

Penny and Leonard’s relationship has been IMO beaten to death.

It is starting to be a drain on both on the show and the characters.

How bad this relationship has gotten may even explain part of my new found openness to Penny and Sheldon.

So stagnation is a problem with very successful, long running shows. So the solution is to destroy the three relationships at the heart of TBBT, Leonard-Sheldon, Lenny and Shamy.

Question. When has this "solution" to this common problem ever been done in TV history?

No shows that stagnate are called cancelled.

Off the top of my head Two and a Half Men and Friends.

Leonard-Sheldon based on previous events not even a full episode.

They have had longer fights over the roommate agreement.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nick, my biggest complaint against this particular crusade of yours is: Boy, you are giving them too much free publicity!   I mean, think about it: there must be.... what?..... about a dozen of them

This is a very interesting post and I agree. But I also think that this season is building toward a shift in this current paradigm. I think a large part of Penny's insecurities and this most recent

When the show started, Penny was an outside observer of the two nerds across the hall and their two friends, She was both mystified and amused about their strange world, she had her own friends and ac

Posted Images

Ironically I missed the 'we are not a couple' tiara episode. I woke to what the writers were foreshadowing with 'The Flaming Spitoon Episode' where he comes in & asks her for a date and "I'm the guy." Why would he even say such a thing? Because he wants to be the guy....

Then lots of things clicked. I realized how much of the show revolves around them.Even the Shamy's first dinner date was all about Penny. I think the big surge in popularity with the fans is that Sheldon is going to have a romance. And the build is to Penny, who will probably facilitate the Shamy's baby steps, realize/ be horrified that she has feelings for her whackadoodle & away we go.

I've mentioned "The Lady Eve", "Bringing Up Baby", "Ball of Fire" classic 30's screwball comedies involving an innocent cloistered academic male & the earthy girl who shakes up his world.

Ironically I missed the 'we are not a couple' tiara episode. I woke to what the writers were foreshadowing with 'The Flaming Spitoon Episode' where he comes in & asks her for a date and "I'm the guy." Why would he even say such a thing? Because he wants to be the guy....

Then lots of things clicked. I realized how much of the show revolves around them.Even the Shamy's first dinner date was all about Penny. I think the big surge in popularity with the fans is that Sheldon is going to have a romance. And the build is to Penny, who will probably facilitate the Shamy's baby steps, realize/ be horrified that she has feelings for her whackadoodle & away we go.

I've mentioned "The Lady Eve", "Bringing Up Baby", "Ball of Fire" classic 30's screwball comedies involving an innocent cloistered academic male & the earthy girl who shakes up his world.

This is so not going to happen.

• Like 1

At no time on any of those 30's/40's movies did they have the female in the surrogate Mother role and the academic in that of a child. Again and again I have pointed out the episode where Penny takes Sheldon to Disneyland. Watch the scene where she brings him home. That looks like a mother/aunt with her son/nephew. Any romance between the two of them borders on the perverse and is distasteful.

At no time on any of those 30's/40's movies did they have the female in the surrogate Mother role and the academic in that of a child. Again and again I have pointed out the episode where Penny takes Sheldon to Disneyland. Watch the scene where she brings him home. That looks like a mother/aunt with her son/nephew. Any romance between the two of them borders on the perverse and is distasteful.

Or the third season episode when Leonard and Penny are fighting about her wanting an old boyfriend to sleep on her couch.

Sheldon had flash backs of his parents arguing and retreated to the comic book store and built a little fortress. Penny explained that she and Leonard were going to fight sometimes and made Leonard buy him a toy robot to sooth his anxiety about his surrogate parents fighting.

That was not very subtle at all. And in the six season spoilers he will have a similar reaction to what he fears is Penny/Leonard turmoil. His relationship to them not only is not changing he will now be proactive in keeping it status quo.

Well she did just make him say he loved her three times.

I would consider the Spittoon episode a variation of the we are not a couple device.

I am more familiar with the 1960s sitcoms.

The Infestation Hypothesis could easily have been an I Love Lucy or Bewitched episode.

I am not 100 % convinced on foreshadowing

Shipper service is another option.

Although if you make non-shippers notice you are doing that wrong,

I do find it interesting that we both say fifth season.

I wonder if they got some new writers in the fifth season.

Having a character become childlike for an episode is pretty common in sitcoms over the years.

I Love Lucy, The Munsters, I Dream of Jeanie, Friends, Gilmore Girls all come to mind.

Star Wars on a more serious note as Anakin is actually just a child.

I think Disney has a show called My Babysitters a Vampire and she is the romantic interest. Disney Channel is not exactly known for perverse.

Shoot you could even make a case for Penny as a child in the The Barbarian Sublimation with Sheldon as the parental figure.

Sheldon wasn't childlike, he was a child and Penny was the parent. Not just once but on several episodes. Every time she has sung Small Kitty to him. It has been consistent. Penny has never acted like Sheldon's baby sitter, she acts like his mother, older sister, or aunt. It would be perverse for them to ever hook up.

• Like 1

I would consider the Spittoon episode a variation of the we are not a couple device.

The Infestation Hypothesis could easily have been an I Love Lucy or Bewitched episode.

Right about the 'who loves you.' Missed that. My 60's fave is 'The Addams Family' and Gomez had a lot of fun with his model trains.

I was a fan but no shipper. It was this spring with all nonstop reruns on cable that I got into the show, started to see the relationships & began to ship Shenny, what's funny is that in the Shenny fanfics you'll find lots of humanities majors like myself who know this trope goes back a long,long way in literature. Again it just may be shipper service; but why so much in season 5. I think they got a bunch of iCarly writers so that might be it.

For everyone's enjoyment here are some clips; what's so interesting is that the 3 male leads are the uber masculine Henry Fonda, Gary Cooper, Cary Grant playing virginal scholarly types.

'Ball of Fire'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmjnJhotUqw&feature=related

And "The Lady Eve"

"Bringing up Baby"

Right about the 'who loves you.' Missed that. My 60's fave is 'The Addams Family' and Gomez had a lot of fun with his model trains.

I was a fan but no shipper. It was this spring with all nonstop reruns on cable that I got into the show, started to see the relationships & began to ship Shenny, what's funny is that in the Shenny fanfics you'll find lots of humanities majors like myself who know this trope goes back a long,long way in literature. Again it just may be shipper service; but why so much in season 5. I think they got a bunch of iCarly writers so that might be it.

For everyone's enjoyment here are some clips; what's so interesting is that the 3 male leads are the uber masculine Henry Fonda, Gary Cooper, Cary Grant playing virginal scholarly types.

'Ball of Fire'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmjnJhotUqw&feature=related

And "The Lady Eve"

"Bringing up Baby"

In the end, though, what matters is what the writers actually do, and from all evidence it appears that they are NOT going down the "Shenny" path.

Literary tropes don't mean anything if that's not what the writers' goal is in the end.

So we are going back to movies from 70 or 80 years ago to argue that Penny and Sheldon should get together? While we are at it let's go ahead and see how they would treat a woman who has had as many sexual partners as Penny has had in the movies. It wouldn't be good. I have seen those movies on numerous occasions and although they may have treated the male leads as super smart men who had their heads in the clouds and were socially naive, they never treated them like small children and the female lead as a surrogate mother. If they did something on that bordered that it was because the male character who was not used to drinking got drunk. I keep hearing that TPTB should try it because "so many" people would be in favor of it. What is not mentioned is that by a large majority, most people are against it and would find it repugnant. Even the actors, writers, and directors when asked about Penny and Sheldon getting together respond as though they have a hard time believing that anyone would think that it would be a good idea and some of them very obviously thought the idea was disgusting. It ain't going to happen.

Oh, I wasn't aware they had meetings. I know they didn't in the early days but I suppose they must have too, now the show is so popular and they have more characters. I think you are right in saying there's not enough build up for shenny. First they would have to deconstruct Sheldon/Amy and split up Penny/Leonard in a very finite way, so we knew they were totally finished. It doesn't look likely with the finale and hand holding. But if there are ever any indicators, most of us will clock it right away. It's a hotly debated topic here on the forum.

All shows, be it sitcom or drama have writers meetings, most of the time weekly. That's how they hash out individual episode storylines and season arcs for the characters. What usually happens is that the entire group will come up with the basic plots and then one or two of them will actually go and write the script. Then they bring it back to the group for a read through and during that phase is when the script gets revised. The writer/s then go back to rewrite the script, usually that version ends up being what is called the table draft. The one that gets sent out the to actors homes and one they use for the table read through. Then if that is all goes well usually there are only minor tweeks the writer goes back to do some final adjustments and that script then typically becomes what is called the final draft or shooting script. This process is what all scripted television writers follow regardless of the type of show. The big difference is that your genre and drama will go into much greater depth with their stories and arcs whereas a comedy or sitcom is might lighter and yes does have a more week to week feel.

annieogly Wrote: Ironically I missed the 'we are not a couple' tiara episode. I woke to what the writers were foreshadowing with 'The Flaming Spitoon Episode' where he comes in & asks her for a date and "I'm the guy." Why would he even say such a thing? Because he wants to be the guy....

You've completely misinterpreted the scene. That scene was all about Sheldon being so desperate to get Amy back that he was willing to do something that he normally would never have done which was ask Penny out as a means to make Amy jealous. Sheldon thinking that he's the "the guy" is just his ego being as big as it usually is, but you conveniently leave out the rest of the his dialog which taken in it's proper context, points to the "the guy" being Leonard. The scene ends with Penny giving Sheldon the push to go fight for what he really wants which is Amy while at the same time punctuating that Sheldon is in fact "so not the guy" that Penny is talking about. The guy that Penny is talking about is Leonard. So in fact this Sheldon/Penny scene not only doesn't support or have any legitimate meta for romantic Shenny but it does the completely opposite. It gives us meta for both romantic L/P and S/A while firming establishing S/P as a non romantic friendship.

As to your other point. Keep telling yourself that, but it doesn't make it true. Sheldon and Penny shippers have always been a minority, but probably one of the most vocal minorities when it comes to non-canon pairings on a television show. I'll agree that they have great comedic chemistry, in fact I'd largely agree that they typically have the funniest scenes together(although Sheldon and Amy scenes have been just as good)together, but that don't mean it's compatible with romance. Comedic chemistry and Romantic Chemistry does not always go hand in hand when it comes to character pairings. It seems to me that this fantasy that Shenny shippers have regarding the two is that if you just put them together you get all the great comedy that you normally get but with the added bonus of getting to see them being physically intimate with one another. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, putting these two together would require drastic changes in both their characters, so much so in fact that the two would be radically different and therefore the interactions what you all love so much to begin with wouldn't even exist as they do now anymore. It would completely change the dynamic.

The real thing that is going on right now in the Shenny community is that desperation is sinking in. Because their fantasy is coming undone by what has happened over the last couple years. As improbable as the idea they were ever going to pair Sheldon/Penny was before, it's certainly being killed out right now both with the popularity of Mayim's characters and the popularity of the Sheldon/Amy pairing, which has arguably become the most popular relationship on the show right now, moreso then either L/P or S/P. The writers know this and they've gone to great lengths to carefully and slowly develop this relationship to where it is so far. To do that only to turn around and destroy all this just to prop up a different romantic pairing that not only doesn't have the shows own canon to support and justify such a change but that only a small vocal minority wants is absurd.

annieogly Wrote: Ironically I missed the 'we are not a couple' tiara episode. I woke to what the writers were foreshadowing with 'The Flaming Spitoon Episode' where he comes in & asks her for a date and "I'm the guy." Why would he even say such a thing? Because he wants to be the guy....

You've completely misinterpreted the scene. That scene was all about Sheldon being so desperate to get Amy back that he was willing to do something that he normally would never have done which was ask Penny out as a means to make Amy jealous. Sheldon thinking that he's the "the guy" is just his ego being as big as it usually is, but you conveniently leave out the rest of the his dialog which taken in it's proper context, points to the "the guy" being Leonard. The scene ends with Penny giving Sheldon the push to go fight for what he really wants which is Amy while at the same time punctuating that Sheldon is in fact "so not the guy" that Penny is talking about. The guy that Penny is talking about is Leonard. So in fact this Sheldon/Penny scene not only doesn't support or have any legitimate meta for romantic Shenny but it does the completely opposite. It gives us meta for both romantic L/P and S/A while firming establishing S/P as a non romantic friendship.

As to your other point. Keep telling yourself that, but it doesn't make it true. Sheldon and Penny shippers have always been a minority, but probably one of the most vocal minorities when it comes to non-canon pairings on a television show. I'll agree that they have great comedic chemistry, in fact I'd largely agree that they typically have the funniest scenes together(although Sheldon and Amy scenes have been just as good)together, but that don't mean it's compatible with romance. Comedic chemistry and Romantic Chemistry does not always go hand in hand when it comes to character pairings. It seems to me that this fantasy that Shenny shippers have regarding the two is that if you just put them together you get all the great comedy that you normally get but with the added bonus of getting to see them being physically intimate with one another. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, putting these two together would require drastic changes in both their characters, so much so in fact that the two would be radically different and therefore the interactions what you all love so much to begin with wouldn't even exist as they do now anymore. It would completely change the dynamic.

The real thing that is going on right now in the Shenny community is that desperation is sinking in. Because their fantasy is coming undone by what has happened over the last couple years. As improbable as the idea they were ever going to pair Sheldon/Penny was before, it's certainly being killed out right now both with the popularity of Mayim's characters and the popularity of the Sheldon/Amy pairing, which has arguably become the most popular relationship on the show right now, moreso then either L/P or S/P. The writers know this and they've gone to great lengths to carefully and slowly develop this relationship to where it is so far. To do that only to turn around and destroy all this just to prop up a different romantic pairing that not only doesn't have the shows own canon to support and justify such a change but that only a small vocal minority wants is absurd.

Fantastic post! You said it so perfectly.

Oh, I wasn't aware they had meetings. I know they didn't in the early days but I suppose they must have too, now the show is so popular and they have more characters. I think you are right in saying there's not enough build up for shenny. First they would have to deconstruct Sheldon/Amy and split up Penny/Leonard in a very finite way, so we knew they were totally finished. It doesn't look likely with the finale and hand holding. But if there are ever any indicators, most of us will clock it right away. It's a hotly debated topic here on the forum.

All shows, be it sitcom or drama have writers meetings, most of the time weekly. That's how they hash out individual episode storylines and season arcs for the characters. What usually happens is that the entire group will come up with the basic plots and then one or two of them will actually go and write the script. Then they bring it back to the group for a read through and during that phase is when the script gets revised. The writer/s then go back to rewrite the script, usually that version ends up being what is called the table draft. The one that gets sent out the to actors homes and one they use for the table read through. Then if that is all goes well usually there are only minor tweeks the writer goes back to do some final adjustments and that script then typically becomes what is called the final draft or shooting script. This process is what all scripted television writers follow regardless of the type of show. The big difference is that your genre and drama will go into much greater depth with their stories and arcs whereas a comedy or sitcom is might lighter and yes does have a more week to week feel.

What a remarkable summation of the truth! That was a nuclear torpedo to the Shenny ship. :icon_wink:

What a remarkable summation of the truth! That was a nuclear torpedo to the Shenny ship. :icon_wink:

I read you post with some envy. I wish that I had the skill to write such a good post. Great job.

Hmm, let me explain from a writer's pov the problem with the Shamy vs the Shenny and why as a writer I don't think the Shamy will last as much as I do love Amy. Right now Amy wants something from Sheldon romantically & via confrontation gets him to yield. Season 5 (the b-party episode) & upcoming season 6. That's a rut; you need generative comedy situations. To me the Shamy seems like training wheels. Remember the show needs to last 8 seasons; frankly I can see 10.

This is how I came to the Shenny, because I could see tons of fun ways to get them together romantically, via denial, all kinds of amusing scenarios which I've posted, and it's a literary and Hollywood staple. That gives writers material; lots of it. And yeah you can do it for a long time. I may be wrong, but I don't think so....

PS and you can do the same for Amy, I think it would be hilarious if she fell for a muscular poet or even worse a professor of gender studies:icon_twisted:

I can see Shenny only if the writers get tired of working and want to end the show. As many people seemed entranced with the idea of Sheldon and Penny getting together, there are a whole lot more people who find the whole idea not only ludicrous but also disgusting. Sheldon seems to have a strong attraction to his white board. Why don't we have him start dating it? How about Leonard's mother? Actually, Leonard's mother would make allot more sense and would not be nearly as borderline sick as Sheldon and Penny dating. The writers seem to think it is a terrible idea. The actors not only think it is a terrible idea but a disgusting one, and TPTB have repeatedly said that it will never happen. It seems fairly obvious that the writers know what they are doing and they seem intent on Sheldon being with Amy and Leonard being with Penny. If for some reason Amy was no longer dating Sheldon then there would be no reason for her to be on the show any longer. She appears to be a character with enough of a following that she will remain on the show. I do not see any signs of Sheldon and her breaking up.

Hmm, let me explain from a writer's pov the problem with the Shamy vs the Shenny and why as a writer I don't think the Shamy will last as much as I do love Amy. Right now Amy wants something from Sheldon romantically & via confrontation gets him to yield. Season 5 (the b-party episode) & upcoming season 6. That's a rut; you need generative comedy situations. To me the Shamy seems like training wheels. Remember the show needs to last 8 seasons; frankly I can see 10.

This is how I came to the Shenny, because I could see tons of fun ways to get them together romantically, via denial, all kinds of amusing scenarios which I've posted, and it's a literary and Hollywood staple. That gives writers material; lots of it. And yeah you can do it for a long time. I may be wrong, but I don't think so....

PS and you can do the same for Amy, I think it would be hilarious if she fell for a muscular poet or even worse a professor of gender studies:icon_twisted:

Well, obviously I can see why Shenny appeals to you. No offense but you seem to be inclined to wish the typical fan fiction formula into the show. That plotline's mostly the Shenny fanfics are all about (not that I read them). And if they made it into a Hollywood "staple", then that's the time I'll jump the boat and agree with the oldies here crying, "Friends! Oh effing god, Frieeeeeeends!"

If you think that would give the writers "lots of material", then why didn't they jumped that opportunity THREE TO FOUR FREAKING YEARS AGO?! I think the writers are true to their writing. The show's title is self explanatory: It's the big "bang" theory of Leonard upon meeting Penny. Why would they stray from that?!

Also, if you want Shenny to move forward so they can go on with the denial and those scenarios you were wishing for, you have to change them dramatically personality-wise. You have to make Sheldon insult Penny less (the comedic "relief" being taken out, as some of you claim that they're the funnies thing that happened since fart noises) and appreciate her more. You have to make Penny vow celibacy until she can make Sheldon into a real boy (heck, isn't that what Amy was doing now? If they want it to happen they should have made Penny take those steps before). Then, clearly you are going to have to kill Leonard in the process to save him from further emotional damage from losing the girl of his life to his freaking freak of nature of a roommate. People don't want that. The show's a comedy. They should have categorized it like Desperate Housewives.

Sheldon dragging his feet with Amy is hilarious. Sheldon losing to Leonard in 3D chess was funny at least. Sheldon thinking about dandruff was a bit gross for me but it's disturbing enough (and the absurdity level was way too high) that it was funny. Oh yeah, Sheldon has seen Penny's boobs already but he never fantasize about them. Does it mean dandruff>boobs? Sheldon saying to Amy's mom, "It's time for me to make love to your daughter's vagina" kills me all the time. Heck, that promo for season 6 was so hilarious, I'm not bothered with the fact that Amy was about to leave him there.

I would also go with Rick's defense because that's exactly WHY Shenny cannot happen, logicaly and storywise.

The most ironic thing I've heard recently is that Bill Prady referred to Shamy as a paradox. How interesting. :icon_twisted:

Pfft. Training wheels?! You've got to be kidding me.

annieogly,

I think you know that one of the reasons this will never be done is there would be no way to cleanup the mess without fracturing the group, which would cost Chuck Lorre major money and he is notoriously cheap.

What happens to Leonard? You know his friendship with Sheldon is gone and he could not live with him. So a new place for Leonard? Hire an actress to be his new girlfriend? What about Leonard's friends? Raj and Howard are Leonard's friends not Sheldon's. Raj and Howard have been put down by Sheldon constantly and at the end of last season Howard tormented Sheldon in the "Hawkins" episode because Sheldon has done the same to him for years. Amy would not be around Sheldon or Penny. Hire a new actor to be her new boyfriend? Bernette is and will be in season six, as has been leaked in spoilers, the biggest booster of the Lenny. Her husband is no fan of Sheldon and her friend Amy has been destroyed by him and Penny has crushed Leonard. Hire a new actress to replace Penny for the three amigas?

So we now have two shows in one. Leonard and friends and the travails of Sheldon and Penny. That means new friends for the Sheldon and Penny side of the show. Where do you find enough screen time for all these characters in a 22 1/2 minute show? Maybe they could have their own spin-off. :icon_idea:

TPTB has spent a ton of money promoting first the Lenny and now the Shamy and the payback has been tremendous including Emmy nominations for both ends of the Shamy. The number of dedicated Leonard and Penny sites and worshipful threads on Fan Forums is only rivaled by the growing number of Shamy postings. This is possible because those get fresh material by virtue of being canon supported by the shows writers, something in all fairness, can not be obtained by the Shenny's because they are supported by fan fiction only. The largest majority of fans of TBBT, who tune in causally and represent the big ratings that make it "number one", never visit fan forums and have never heard of the concept of the Shenny. Notice the look on their faces when you mention for the first time Sheldon and Penny as lovers.

Can you work the numbers on how TPTB get a bigger payback by now destroying that investment? It's like Apple deciding to get out of the consumer electronics business because making cupcakes seems lucrative.

Lorre would kill any writer who brought up such an expensive and risky suggestion but then he would never hear such a thing anyway.

Um...are you talking about from a professional TV writer's POV, or from a fanfic writer's point of view?

As a fanfic writer, it's possible to bend the characters to fit your pet plot line, and in that case, if you already don't want or like the Shamy relationship, so you can't imagine it working.

But if you really look at the characters on the show as they really are, the Shenny relationship is the one that has no traction. Penny and Sheldon do have a lot of comic potential, but that doesn't translate into romantic potential.

I think that the idea of "opposites attract", which is really the only path available for the Shenny, doesn't really go far and especially in this case, where it's not just a matter of different tastes in entertainment or religion or whatever, but in a fundamental difference between them.

With Sheldon and Amy, it's not just a matter of Amy forcing Sheldon to go along with what she wants, but a matter of Amy helping Sheldon, even when she's not doing anything overt, to realize that he wants to be with Amy as more than just friends.

If Pennny were to try to go after Sheldon, it would be like an adult seducing a teenager--and then what would they ever find to talk about? They have almost nothing in common in terms of interests and frame of reference.

Penny has more in common with Leonard than with Sheldon. Leonard's the most normal of the guys and the two of them have found plenty of common ground, even with Leonard's nerdiness and Penny's lack of education.

Similarly, Sheldon and Amy have a lot of common ground, even frm the beginning, before Amy started thinking of Sheldon as a potential boyfriend. They both enjoy intellectual conversations and essentially speak the same language. (This is also what makes Howard and Bernadette work.)

Sheldon has started to realize that in spite of what he thought were his rules of relationships, he wants and needs Amy to be more than just a "girl who is his friend.". That he's just learning how to process this, and all that it entails, is where the growth and the comedy comes from in their relationship, without having to throw out already established characterization.

Amy is ahead of him in understanding the potential of their relationship, just as Leonard has been ahead of Penny and Bernadette has been ahead of Howard.

But Sheldon is learning to identify his feelings as love, if not quite physical desire, and that already takes him out of his comfort zone.

And mixed into all of that is the ongoing nature of who Sheldon and Amy are to begin with.

I think the writers have plenty to work with.

• Like 1

Sheldon and Penny are good as friends, he goes to her for advice and she takes him shopping for a suit and again when he needs to make things up with Amy (tiara episode), I cant see them together like he is with Amy, he enjoys being with Amy and he knows that he does not want to be without her, thats my take on it anway