The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.10 The Flaming Spittoon Acquisition (Nov. 17)

How would you rate the episode?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Okay guys I have this now. My dilemma. I really can't sit through another Amy centric episode. So is this all Amy or is there enough going on that I will be able to ignore her?

This could be the first time I avoid a TBBT episode.

I really enjoyed this episode. It was funny and cleverly thought out and there was even a twist : I never expected Sheldon to EVER go through with asking anyone to be his girlfriend. And I didn't even think about the girlfriend agreement! Well done, writers. The Sheldon and Penny's "knock on the door" comeback was a riot, I had to hear that again. I have no idea why so many people here are against the Amy character. I think she's great! And get used to her ... she's here to stay.

As for guys being drawn to attractive girls, be aware that it works both ways. Heaps of girls are drawn to guys with solely good looks too. Personality is a much better strength.

I have no idea why so many people here are against the Amy character.

Because she's taking huge amounts of screen time away from the main cast. On a more subjective note she just isn't funny, you can guess her lines before the episodes even start, period joke, Pennys hot joke, make a move on Sheldon. Repeat into infinite boredom.

She was a good character to have Sheldon bounce off in the odd scene but she's had two whole episodes based around her now. Might as well rename it the Amy show and be done with it.

This wasn't a bad episode, I thought it'd be better though. I heard a few spoilers and all of them were true. Twister, Sheldon being jealous etc. Amy was fine during this episode, it was Sheldon's reaction to Amy that was the focus. I like how Penny tells it like it is!!!! FREAKIN GROW A PAIR SHELDON STOP BEING A JERK!!! I wish they would have incorporated hand holding and kissing in the agreement, I guess it's just the right to call each other boyfriend / girlfriend that's the focus.

Stuart is a weirdly written character. In the second season he was a comic book store owner who was a trained artist with paintings being shown in art galleries. He made out with Penny and almost slept with her. Now he's a complete loser who thinks he's not worthy of Amy.

What the hell are the writers doing with Penny anyway. She must have been talking about Leonard when she said, "I never told this guy how I really felt about him and he eventually found another girl". Is she drowning her sorrows over Leonard? I thought they were both growing as people and were going to start getting closer.

There were no scenes this week with Penny and the guys. I wonder why.

@disgusted I hope not about the penny/Amy it's one thing if Amy makes a move on penny, maybe even, there's one thing if they woke up drunk together but if they had them got drunk and married they might as well cancel the show after that, and the reason people don't like Amy Nicole is because she's bringing down the show that's two episodes that revolved around her in 3 weeks, it's one thing to have her have a major plot in the show but not this, I wonder what the cast really thinks to have to take a back seat to her.

I have no idea why so many people here are against the Amy character.

Because she's taking huge amounts of screen time away from the main cast. On a more subjective note she just isn't funny, you can guess her lines before the episodes even start, period joke, Pennys hot joke, make a move on Sheldon. Repeat into infinite boredom.

She was a good character to have Sheldon bounce off in the odd scene but she's had two whole episodes based around her now. Might as well rename it the Amy show and be done with it.

She is spending more time than normal, true. She's not "the funny one", true. But she's not a normal girl, is she. She's much more like the guy characters (the science part, and the fact that she is a nerd too -- Bernadette is a Dr. but she's not a nerd). With the help of Amy, the Sheldon character is developing further, and isn't that what people want to see, for Sheldon to evolve and do things that he never has done before? New things are happening to Sheldon thanks to Amy; is it not obvious that Amy is the only woman who could possibly be drawn to Sheldon and get Sheldon to do things that no other woman could make him do? Amy is the only woman for Sheldon. And Sheldon is who we, the audience, wants to see. So if you want to see Sheldon, you have no choice but to see Amy.

That's just what I see.

Yeah I thought penny was getting over Leonard or was that's why they tried hanging out as friends are the reverting penny back to season 4 penny I saw that one and didn't like that penny.

Threelions summed up perfectly why I am not a big Amy fan. In small doses she can be amusing, but it has seriously become rinse and repeat in large doses. Also, I honestly just don't see the chemistry on-screen between Sheldon and Amy. I get what the writers want us to see, and the big push they are giving them, but IMO there is a big difference between manufactured chemistry the writers shove at you and natural chemistry actors just share.

For me it just boils down to being interested in the original 5 cast members. I don't mind some side players getting a little screen time here and there, but that is it. I feel like they are having to mold the original cast around the new comers and as a result their characters are suffering for it.

Also, WTH are they doing to Penny? Next to Sheldon, she was my favorite, but they are just turning her in to a drunk who constantly gets made fun of for being a 'skank'. They have a chance to show some real growth with her character and this is what we get?

I wasn't looking forward to the whole Sheldon-Amy scenes but I was TRYING to keep an open mind. Like maybe the writers go there because it'll be really funny? And no, it wasn't funny at all. This episode just confirmed how much I don't like Amy. As soon as she opened her mouth, I started to find her annoying.

The only thing I liked about the Shamy stuff was that Sheldon STILL didn't want to be physical. It was like he was trying to make sure he still had her as a friend and nothing more.

I liked all the scenes with Raj, Howard, Sheldon, and Leonard together. I like that Leonard was so concerned for Sheldon when he tried to break the news about Stuart liking Amy. I especially liked the scene where the guys tried to give Sheldon some advice. Even Howard was concerned - which just showed me he really does value Sheldon as a friend.

The scenes with Penny, Bernadette, and Amy. Two things ruined this for me: 1) Amy and 2) The booze.

Seriously, unless they're purposely TRYING to imply Penny's a drunk and will later have an after-school-special type episode with the gang doing an intervention, the writers need to STOP.

I was disappointed with this episode. Penny's being shown as a drunk and a loser because she's apparently forgotten she has other friends and other goals in life. Sheldon clearly (to me anyways) only wants Amy in his life as a friend and was afraid that her going out with Stuart meant the two of them would be spending less time together. If Sheldon really liked her, they why is he that opposed to hand holding, kissing, etc.

I just can't get around Amy-Sheldon romantically. Every time Amy mentions the two of them it's like she's trying to force herself on Sheldon which is just wrong. I really hope she leaves the show soon because she's ruining episodes which could be so much better without her.

The other part of the episode I did like was the part where the guys buy those lame toys/cards at the comic book shop and Leonard gets excited about the sherif's badge/wand.

Oh, another thing I found interesting was the cinematography. When Leonard, Howard, and Raj are talking in the comic book shop, you could see Amy and Stuart talking and laughing behind them. I liked this because it was showing what was happening without overloading us with needless Amy-screen time.

I have to say that this season has not been as funny as past seasons. I dislike the Bernadette/Howard relationship and there really isn't a lot of the 4 guys with Penny as there was in past seasons. Sheldon is an asexual character, so to put him in a relationship with Amy, who at her introduction, was exactly like Sheldon is just silly. I hope they can find their humour again and go back to the chemistry that worked so well in the past.

Sheldon clearly (to me anyways) only wants Amy in his life as a friend and was afraid that her going out with Stuart meant the two of them would be spending less time together. If Sheldon really liked her, they why is he that opposed to hand holding, kissing, etc.

Then you may not get Sheldon's character very well. He had never shown interest in getting physical with anyone, he may be asexual. That doesn't mean he cannot get attatched to someone at an emotional level, as he probably is right now with Amy, to whom he also relates intellectually. He can be in love with her and still don't long physical contact.

Yes, there are people like that out there, they are no robots nor aliens, they are human like any other, they just don't like/crave sex, why is it so difficult to understand and/or accept?

I am quite pleased TBBT is portraying this kind of preferences and relationships and, until now, they are doing it right, IMO.

Okay guys I have this now. My dilemma. I really can't sit through another Amy centric episode. So is this all Amy or is there enough going on that I will be able to ignore her?

This could be the first time I avoid a TBBT episode.

I completely agree with you 100% I was faced with the same problem after watching BBT. This is not the show that we have all grown to love. The scientific factor in the show is COMPLETELY missing. Replaced by relationship drama. Every other episode is centered around the Amy character.

What I think is worse though, is that Raj, who even though he had the selective mutism gave us some hilarious one liners, barely even gets screen time. He has been turned into a depressed acloholic who may or may not be gay, not much character development for him there.

The Big Bang Theory of Seasons 1,2 and 3 is no longer there.

You guys are fools if you didn't enjoy this episode. some of you are too picky and judgemental. I just don't get it! How can you NOT like Amy or the additions of M & M? I love what they did with this episode tonight with the new knocks, relationship agreement and the awkward date with Stuart Bloom. That's right we know his last name now. Sorry to those who didn't appreciate it but I am NOT sorry that I loved it. :)

• Like 3

I think, "what's up with Penny," goes deeper than we are supposed to be seeing. I think it may be, "what's up with Kaley," that is the root of the problem. Anyone notice that for the last couple episodes they have, "the hot girl," in loose fitting layered clothing? Even in the episode where Sheldon's mom holds up the sexy top, we never see Penny wearing it, they just talk about it. Her face is more round and her arms are downright chunky. I noticed last episode what her butt looked larger, but again thought it was just the heavy jeans. I am going to go out on a long narrow limb here. You think maybe Kaley Cuoco is pregnant? Is the whole, "getting married after only a very few months dating," really a shotgun wedding?

If not, then her finding a man in real life who prefers sitting on the couch watching TV with her, is putting weight on her. I have read comments from her before that she only feels comfortable at home because the celebrity attention is too hard to deal with on a day to day basis. She tweets things constantly about watching TV cooking shows and home remake shows. Lazie even proposed during one of these, "at home date nights." How did she describe it, "Want to marry me....Sure." We are simple people she said.

Was last episode a test to see how the fans would react to Penny and Leonard getting together? Are they forced to prepare for Penny being pregnant? Maybe I am just delusional.

1.The kid in the comic book store - just W. T. F.

What kind of nonsense was that? That was insulting. Is that really how they are going to depict any new nerd that shows up?

2.Penny seems to be a drunken secondary character

Her part in the scene with her and Sheldon was ok, but one bottle of white, peach schnapps, and then red wine? And then falling asleep?

3.Sheldon is an a-hole

Either he has no professional respect for Leonard specifically at which point Leonard should just tell him to F off, or he has no respect for the experimental side of the scientific process generally at which point he should be fired from the university. His tirade just went on and on.

4.Amy hitting on Penny yet again

Come on, really? Every single episode! Really?

5.Sheldon and Amy are both a-holes (sub-titled: Stuart is a total and complete loser)

This harkens back to point 3. Do Amy and Sheldon have so little respect for Stuart that they would belittle him so completely in the theatre? And then he just takes it? The whole reason this show is sucking this season is that they want to show all kinds of character growth and crappola like that and here we have Sheldon and Amy showing awful character traits by so thoroughly insulting and disrespecting Stuart.

Is this all the "growth" and "character complexity" that they think people want? I've been calling this show "The Big Bang Theory Two" for a while, but maybe we need to consider a good soap name like "As the Stomach Churns".

I think it may be, "what's up with Kaley," that is the root of the problem

UpChuck has already been screwed by a star self-destructing, he is taking steps to minimize the damage. Thats why we have Amy and Bernie and all the rest of the relationship crap. They are deliberatly pushing Penny to the background, and have been since the horse "accident". Now that the show is a big money maker, Penny as a main focus of the show is too risky, especially when the role depends on a 20 something ditzy actress.

BTW, how's that "keeping the negativity in its own thread" working out for you? :fi_lone_ranger: (not you, wayelrob)

I see angry people.

Back OT, I too was left wondering WHY Penny spent this episode drunk. Didn't really serve any purpose at all.

Otherwise, enjoyed it immensely up until the last scene. Just me, or are the writers having trouble finishing episodes lately? They seem to be struggling with getting that final joke out lately.

The Amy/Sheldon/Stuart interaction was funny and great to see some Ka-a again.

Sheldon in spurs was hysterical.

Not a great episode, but certainly not the worst.

Looks like I fall into the minority on this one. I actually enjoyed the episode and had no problems with anything that occurred in the episode. I don't see this episode as being anything more than a stepping stone to get Sheldon and Amy "together" in order to set something else up the writers have in mind for the future. We shall see. But I liked it.

The only thing I've been having problems with is the new way they've been styling Sheldon's hair, it's been bothering me.

I loved this episode, it was hilarious. After watching Sheldon for 5 years now its amazing to think he has developed any kind of attachment to anyone. I guess it kind of shows a vulnerable human side, he has become more and more protective of Amy and their relationship. Now that someone has taken an interest Sheldon has been forced to step up. Our little Sheldon is growing up. The relationship contract was priceless.

Another great episode. Those who did not like it just don't get it. Maybe they need to watch the X-factor instead. Leave BBT to the "real" fans.

I see deluded people.

The only thing I've been having problems with is the new way they've been styling Sheldon's hair, it's been bothering me.

Wow. So this is the target audience. :icon_cry: I guess they are the "real" fans.

Guest histerija

1.The kid in the comic book store - just W. T. F.

2.Penny seems to be a drunken secondary character

3.Sheldon is an a-hole

Either he has no professional respect for Leonard specifically at which point Leonard should just tell him to F off, or he has no respect for the experimental side of the scientific process generally at which point he should be fired from the university. His tirade just went on and on.

4.Amy hitting on Penny yet again

Come on, really? Every single episode! Really?

5.Sheldon and Amy are both a-holes (sub-titled: Stuart is a total and complete loser)

This harkens back to point 3. Do Amy and Sheldon have so little respect for Stuart that they would belittle him so completely in the theatre? And then he just takes it? The whole reason this show is sucking this season is that they want to show all kinds of character growth and crappola like that and here we have Sheldon and Amy showing awful character traits by so thoroughly insulting and disrespecting Stuart.

Is this all the "growth" and "character complexity" that they think people want? I've been calling this show "The Big Bang Theory Two" for a while, but maybe we need to consider a good soap name like "As the Stomach Churns".

1. what's your problem with the kid in the comic book store? think he was funny and i don't see what's insulting?

2. about penny.. i hate what they're doing with her character..

3. sheldon never had respect for leonard's work and for howard's work and for anyone else's work. that's nothing new.

5. yeah, stuart was being a little too loser-ish this episode, but i don't think that sheldon and amy were that rude.

of course, sheldon shouldn't say something like that, but it's sheldon and he can't speak normal to people.

and what did amy do? she watched the movie to the end with him, stuart even walked her to her apartment- how was that rude?

or would it be better if she would have rejected sheldon and made out with stuart, just do be polite?

1. what's your problem with the kid in the comic book store? think he was funny and i don't see what's insulting?

How is he funny? He was a moron. Are we supposed to laugh at nerd caricatures now?

2. about penny.. i hate what they're doing with her character..

Agreement ensues

3. sheldon never had respect for leonard's work and for howard's work and for anyone else's work. that's nothing new.

This is true and this used to be the one thing I didn't like about Sheldon. But the tirade went on and on. Sheldon used to say inappropriate things inadvertently, but this was just pure insult through and through.

5. yeah, stuart was being a little too loser-ish this episode, but i don't think that sheldon and amy were that rude.

Amy was out on a date with Stuart. If she wanted to get into it with Sheldon, she should have apologized to Stuart and left. Either that or told Sheldon to piss off and that they would deal with their relationship later. This was just disrespectful to Stuart.

Another great episode. Those who did not like it just don't get it. Maybe they need to watch the X-factor instead. Leave BBT to the "real" fans.

Just dont get it? Don't get what exactly?

I'd actually love to hear what it is that "real" fans find funny or positive about this episode. It might help me and perhaps other real fans (and thats real without quotes) understand why they have changed the show the way they have.

There you go all the fans who want to see Penny and Sheldon together! The thought was entertained, Penny words "You are so not the guy."

Though Sheldon asking Penny out was quite funny and him not getting Penny's story.

Also There you go all the fans who want to see Sheldon and Amy take things a step foward! They made the leap or maybe just a bunny hop, but they did move.

I though the contract was great and I'm surprised Amy didn't get a lawyer. (I was a bit afraid they would bring Pryia back to read over the contract)

As for Penny and Leonard, all we need is for Sheldon to tell Leonard the story. Sheldon will still have to no clue who its really about but upon hearing the story Leonard will realize it is himself and ta da! Penny and Leonard are together again.

I do have one question though. Why are they making Penny a drunk?