The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

5.10 The Flaming Spittoon Acquisition (Nov. 17)

How would you rate the episode?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

So Sheldon and Amy are a couple now? What have they done to this show? I feel like I'm watching How I Met Your Mother. I bet that we're going to get more episodes about relationship conflicts between boyfriends and girlfriends instead of the nerdy/geeky stuff. :(

I don't know why I bother coming here. So many negs here are taking over, expect perfection, can't accept change and evolution with this show. I thought this would be majority of fans but it just isn't. I appreciate Tripper but I can't stand the negs. I think I'm thru here.

I'm sorry for my english but, what is the meaning of "negs"?

I don't know why I bother coming here. So many negs here are taking over, expect perfection, can't accept change and evolution with this show. I thought this would be majority of fans but it just isn't. I appreciate Tripper but I can't stand the negs. I think I'm thru here.

People with negative comments/attitude (no link whatsoever with the N word)

People with negative comments/attitude (no link whatsoever with the N word)

Thank's, Shellorz.

Nice episode, had some good lines in the beginning. Loved Sheldon dressing up for the card game & using a spittoon! Seeing Stuart trying to connect with Amy was fun. The relationship agreement was a nice touch of continuing Sheldon's need to have everything in writing! Sheldon's face in the cinema when he actually popped the question was golden!

One thing they need to get a grip on is the amount of drinking that Penny needs, in order to have fun as they make it clearer each episode...where is the fun sometimes quick witted girl? Sorry about the neg here....

Loved Sheldon's answer when Amy asked how he got into her apartment :icon_cheesygrin:

Now we wait till Dec 8th.

Except for the scenes with the 4 guys, this episode was an unmitigated disaster.

As for where this show is headed...There is another forum where they discuss TBBT. It is largely populated with middle aged women, who have cute little signature boxes and avis and spend time wondering if Sheldon and Penny will get together. They use words like shipper and Shenny and other bastardizations of the English language. It's deplorable.

They also communicate via smilies so much (we have a few here as well) that you'd think they eat glitter and deficate Hello Kitty. Sorry, but shows that cater to the female populous, I do not find funny. That is not a bad thing, I am not a woman...nor am I a regular man...so that brand of humor, is anyhting but funny to me...that is the new TBBT

That is the main demographic of MOST shows...while we ponder the questions of the universe, or flowchart and design a Unix based server system with open source firewalls and DCHP clients, 'tis the ones who have no accomplishment in life that turn on the boob tube and dictate it's direction.

I feel this show which was once a once proud haven and celebration to nerd and geek lifestyle; has become a charicature and cruel indictment of how the masses still perceive us. I, for one will be at ComiCon and pray that TBBT will not be, as I will have more time to build up pensive anger to relay onto them

^Not sure if I should feel a bit offended as I am a middle aged woman....

But then I also understand and know what the stuff like Unix servers, firewalls & DCHP clients are as I work in the IT. It felt like we/I were being generalized with what the maybe average middle age woman might like.

So if I speak of a group of middle aged women on another site that fit a certain behavior, you feel a duty to be offended? Fascinating

As for where this show is headed...There is another forum where they discuss TBBT. It is largely populated with middle aged women, who have cute little signature boxes and avis and spend time wondering if Sheldon and Penny will get together. They use words like shipper and Shenny and other bastardizations of the English language. It's deplorable.

They also communicate via smilies so much (we have a few here as well) that you'd think they eat glitter and deficate Hello Kitty. Sorry, but shows that cater to the female populous, I do not find funny. That is not a bad thing, I am not a woman...nor am I a regular man...so that brand of humor, is anyhting but funny to me...that is the new TBBT

That is the main demographic of MOST shows...while we ponder the questions of the universe, or flowchart and design a Unix based server system with open source firewalls and DCHP clients, 'tis the ones who have no accomplishment in life that turn on the boob tube and dictate it's direction.

Solidarność

I feel this show which was once a once proud haven and celebration to nerd and geek lifestyle; has become a charicature and cruel indictment of how the masses still perceive us. I, for one will be at ComiCon and pray that TBBT will not be, as I will have more time to build up pensive anger to relay onto them

Or you could just shut the TV off and create your own show to sell to Hollywood. If its that entertaining, somebody will pick it up... Two and a Half Men got picked up.

As for people with no accomplishments, that depends on what YOU consider an accomplishment. I'm 27, and my son is my greatest accomplishment. I never even got to hold him before he passed away, but feeling him kick in me is still my greatest memory. He is my accomplishment because after dropping out of university, surviving drugs/jail, felonies, etc I'm alive and healthy enough to feel such a great thing. Its people like you that make "nerds" look bad. Perhaps had I finished college and become an engineer, I may be wealthier, but money is no substitute for what I have now. Just remember, without us simpletons, who would provide all the take out our TBBT boys eat every episode? Or who would clean the toilets at comic-con when you're done with them?

Well, at least the show ''Breaking In'' is coming back for a 2nd season in 2012, I'd highly recommend that show if you like the geeky stuff, there's a lot of comic-con and Star Wars references.

I think some of you misunderstand what Imapotato is saying. He doesn't care that there are shows for simpletons. He would like to have TBBT go back to being a show for those of us who loved it not being a show for simpletons. Live and let live. The simpletons have the Kardashians, reality contest shows, and practically everything else on TV. We just want this one show. Alas, Ima, we aren't likely to get our wish.

Guest histerija

Except for the scenes with the 4 guys, this episode was an unmitigated disaster.

oh yeah, and middle aged women from a small TBBT forum are deciding where the show is going?! really?! wow. but great :) now i can just go over to this TBBT fan site and post my ideas for the next episodes and chat a little with the writers about reducing the remaining geeky stuff and adding something more interesting- maybe sparkling vampires! :icon_eek:

if you would read the forums a little more (all forums, not just the ones with glitter- and where did you see glitter anyway? or hello kitty?), you would see that there are a lot of people who dislike "the new show" and who miss the old geeky stuff as much as you.

and i really don't know why the writers are adding more drama and reducing the science, but we can't do nothing about it. maybe they expect that hyper intelligent people like your have something better to do than to watch tv?

now go and cry to those middle- aged women to give you your show back!

I think some of you misunderstand what Imapotato is saying. He doesn't care that there are shows for simpletons. He would like to have TBBT go back to being a show for those of us who loved it not being a show for simpletons. Live and let live. The simpletons have the Kardashians, reality contest shows, and practically everything else on TV. We just want this one show. Alas, Ima, we aren't likely to get our wish.

I think part of the glory of the first couple seasons of BBT was that simpletons could watch it and enjoy it, and those people looking for something with more substance could also watch it and enjoy it

This episode was shit amy is annoying and not funny she is getting way to much screen time she should be fired and berrnidet should'nt be in it she is ruined the character of haword he was funny because he tried to pick up women and failed. It should be back to the old format if amy keeps getting to much screen time I am not going to watch.

Having read the comments about nerdiess being now slagged off rather than celebrated, I kept my ears open and ...

“Only chance their mom gets to go down to the basement and change their sheetsâ€

“Like shooting nerds in a barrellâ€

So much for “smart is the new sexyâ€, huh?

Now even the nerds are slagging off nerds

The Comic Store replacement guy was very funny. @4ofN.. this is a comedy and he's only 1 character. I thought it was good comedy acting. Why is he a nerd characature? He's just a guy behing the counter. You may just as well call him a teenager characture

And “Stuart is a total and complete loserâ€. A bit like Leonard in the earlier series, when everyody liked the characters. Is he the only nerd left?

“Do Amy and Sheldon have so little respect for Stuart that they would belittle him so completely in the theatre?†Sheldon rarely shows respect for others. If he started now they may as well just cancel the show altogether. He is the only one who has been consistent. Im not watching this as a study in character growth, but as a comedy. In any case , I assume the producers are more interested in audience growth which is why it has changed so much in the last few years.

Amusing short scene when Sheldon thought Penny fancied him.

The relationship Agreement was excellent. Great idea.I would love to hear more of it. I wonder what the Zombie Clause is in this one

Nice idea with the romantic music in the cinema while the “proposal†was taking place. The only credibility problem with it was that Amy would sign up for it without any physical contact being incorporated. Can't see that lasting if they want to retain credibility for her character.

No LOL lines for me which is why it only gets an OK.

Personally I thought it was a very good episode. It took a twist that I never would have expected, and just leave it to Sheldo to create something like "The Relationship Agreement."

I understand what people are saying about how this episode and many of the episodes in season five are changing so many things about the show, but I guess seeing as how I'm a newer fan who only started watching just before the season started I have appreciation for the new and the old.

:D :):p:icon_mrgreen::icon_biggrin::icon_lol::icon_wink:

see what I did there ? :D

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I need to go and feed my unicorn some rainbows.

Ah unicorns and rainbows, can't have one without the other.... Well unless you are in Harry Potter, then don't let anyone drink your unicorn's blood

Last night's episode of The Big Bang Theory finished first in its slot and was the highest-rated show of the night for the ninth week running.

"The Flaming Spittoon Acquisition" scored an 8.9/14 rating in households and was watched by 14.83 million people, down by around 0.83m viewers from last week. The Big Bang Theory scored a 5.2/15 in the key adults 18-49 demographic, a 6.4/16 in the adults 25-54 demo and a 3.9/13 in the adults 18-34 demo. The show was the most watched and highest rated program of the night.

No offense tripper, but why don't you post what TBBT does overall against all the shows for the week, TBBT isn't against any stiff competiton for it's slot or for the night, that's like saying Sheldon would understand a high school science book.

I think penny and Sheldon would be funny and cute together, if these so called women are running the show p/s would've already be together along time ago, did you think when the show started that three or fours years later that they wouldn't get girls and still wouldn't have a chance? Now I'll agree I'm a little surprised that it's a little too relationship focused while maybe taking away the premise of the show, It's called character developement I agree Sheldon is the only one that's the same since but that might be changing soon but that's what happens the characters evolve, plus I'll agree there might not be as much geek or science scences but there's still some there, plus Lorre is also producer of two and a half men not sure it that means anything or not and the show is changed of course that has something to do with sheen no longer there. But they need to get back to what the show is about but if they keep have all about Amy episodes they won't a little Amy is all the show needs to keep the show and her funny more than that and it's not, I believe in the people that make this show funny, not asking for to return to season 1 or 2 just to bring back what the show is suppose to be about.

As for the one that said even nerds are making fun of each other, don't you think that happens in real life

I have no idea why so many people here are against the Amy character.

Because she's taking huge amounts of screen time away from the main cast. On a more subjective note she just isn't funny, you can guess her lines before the episodes even start, period joke, Pennys hot joke, make a move on Sheldon. Repeat into infinite boredom.

She was a good character to have Sheldon bounce off in the odd scene but she's had two whole episodes based around her now. Might as well rename it the Amy show and be done with it.

She is spending more time than normal, true. She's not "the funny one", true. But she's not a normal girl, is she. She's much more like the guy characters (the science part, and the fact that she is a nerd too -- Bernadette is a Dr. but she's not a nerd). With the help of Amy, the Sheldon character is developing further, and isn't that what people want to see, for Sheldon to evolve and do things that he never has done before? New things are happening to Sheldon thanks to Amy; is it not obvious that Amy is the only woman who could possibly be drawn to Sheldon and get Sheldon to do things that no other woman could make him do? Amy is the only woman for Sheldon. And Sheldon is who we, the audience, wants to see. So if you want to see Sheldon, you have no choice but to see Amy.

That's just what I see.

The audience is split so no I don't think that's what everyone wants. Why would you want to change Sheldon? His quirks and personality are what make him the character he is if you change him, which means normalise him he becomes less of a character. They've already contradicted his personality for the worse. He suddenly is happy to dance despite earlier saying in not a single universe would he be dancing, he suddenly fears hospitals despite earlier sneaking into them and begging for tests to be performed on him.

To change him further IMO ruins the character. For me Sheldon is the one who at the end of the series is still the most like himself because that's his personality.

Also I can't see how any fan can be happy that Howard and especially Raj have become bit parts because of this. These were two of the main cast and great characters getting sidelined for someone who in your own words isn't even funny. They ruined Raj enough last season so maybe they decided to phase him out but it's still a huge crime.

People keep using words like growing and evolving. That's nots what's happening. Growing a character means slight small changes over time look at Friends all the characters went through lots of experiences but were still very similar with slight changes after ten seasons. Joey still a ladies man with a soft side, Chandler still wise cracking, Ross a little more confident but still the same guy, Monica still neurotic, Pheobe still out there, Racheal was probably the most different but still recognisable. They had grown up but were still recognisable and what changes had occurred were made slowly over ten seasons.

What TBBT does is makes wholesale changes to characters in a single episode. That's not growth or evolving its a personality transplant.

I finally did watch this and wasn't impressed. Too much Amy yet again. Penny drunk for no reason yet again, laughing at nerds rather than with them yet again.

The knocking between Sheldon and Penny was the only laugh raised for me. The stand in at the comic shop was a good idea, I get what they were trying but the actor just wasn't good at it so it didn't work for me.

Also did someone say Kaleys guy is called Lazie? Really? Who names their kid that or takes it on as a nick name?

Also did someone say Kaleys guy is called Lazie? Really? Who names their kid that or takes it on as a nick name?

Josh Lazie Resnik is his name. His claim to fame is that he was once a Bass Technician for the metal group Danzig. Currently he is said to be an Addiction Specialist, whatever the hell that is. He is 47 years old and apparently is the perfect mate for 25 year old Kaley. She has said that she wants to be an actress but does not want to be a celebrity. She doesn't like going out, instead prefers staying home and watching TV. Marrying someone old enough to be her father is a stroke of luck, as he is quite content to stay at home with her and watch reality shows. Hey, if that is the life she wants and she loves him, then I wish her the best of luck with it. As for him, he has had many jobs, none particularly successful, but now he has hit the mother lode. She is very wealthy so can afford to keep him. He has one of the sexiest women on the planet in his bed and she seems happy to be there. All he has to do is be a good boy, stock up on Viagra, and he is set for life. Sadly, she is going to wind up taking care of an old man while still in the prime of her life. Try explaining that to a 25 year old, though. Should be interesting to see how long it lasts. At least she can be pretty confident that nobody is going to steal him from her.