The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Is The Big Bang Theory getting worse?

It's clear from the many comments left during the fourth and fifth seasons of The Big Bang Theory, a large contingent of people do not like where the show is heading and believe it's getting worse. This is a thread for all like-minded people to discuss, as they see it, the decline of The Big Bang Theory.

By all means, feel free to post in episode threads as well if you don't like those particular episodes, but for the general trends (new characters, change in tone, etc.) this can be the sounding board for disgruntled fans who don't like the show as much these days.

• Like 1

Well, Tripper, I can't remember you jumping into the fray. Care to share how you feel on this issue?

You must have been a big fan to start and maintain this forum (great job by the way) so I imagine that you might have strong feelings about this one way or the other.

"Is TBBT getting worse?" is a very emotive question.

It is in my opinion inevitable that the show will change and continue to do so. Without change there is only stagnation, and weather the change is for better or worse is a matter of perspective. It is also a matter of inevitability that with the changes that occur fans will be gained and lost.

Personally I try to look at change as growth and development rather than deterioration (not always an easy task, but a more positive and constructive view point)

I think what I am driving at here is to try to understand what the aim is in finding an answer to the question? To seek agreement with the sentiment of the question, which is a dead end to discussion, or to provoke discussion and debate? Which I would phrase as "What do you think of the changes in the characters and story lines of The Big Bang Theory?" (but that’s just me ;) )

• Like 2

I feel it has shifted in a direction that isn't... well... necessarily the best. I'm still enjoying it, but yes--something has been lost, some characteristics of the earlier seasons. I don't like the idea of the need to "pair up" all of the main characters. I hope Priya is eventually out of the picture, as the Leonard relationship strain (difficult girlfriend while still feeling something for Penny) is getting a bit tired. Wolowitz should stay with Bernadette. Rajesh should still struggle with trying to find someone. And the Sheldon/Amy hookup should never happen.

I do like how Stuart is getting a little more face time. He's a good character that could definitely use some developing. But it's a bit predictable with his interest in Penny... I can see her dating him for a little while, but eventually realizing that Leonard is who she'd rather be with.

Season 4 appears to have been the turning point for many fans. In particular, the season finale episode.

It really became the line in the sand for many and now with season 5 off and running, we are seeing who is going to stick with the series and who is not.

I enjoy the show far too much to really give a toss either way. I guess the writers have to delve into many scenarios to keep the show going... some are going to work, others won't.

I'm liking that season 5 is featuring a lot more of the nerd staples. Season 4 did take a step backwards from this towards the end of the season.

Well, Tripper, I can't remember you jumping into the fray. Care to share how you feel on this issue?

You must have been a big fan to start and maintain this forum (great job by the way) so I imagine that you might have strong feelings about this one way or the other.

I am personally quite content with where the show has gone. I don't think, looking back, it is any dirtier than it was during "its prime", back in Seasons 2 or 3 or that the jokes or storylines are any cheaper. I haven't noticed an increase in pandering to the masses in the later seasons. There may be less focus on geek elements, especially during Season 4, but I don't think there has been a significant change. The characters still have the same interests, which are shown regularly.

I like the Amy character most of the time, especially the genuine heartfelt affection she feels for Penny and to finally have a friend. It is however a shame that those moments tend to be ruined by some semi-homoerotic comment from Amy. Those comments were funny at first, but now they're predictable, unrealistic and distract from the real friendship Amy has. I like the new dynamic her and Bernadette have brought with Penny. Whether it's turning the show more into Friends, I think having a group of girls gives more opportunity for good stories. I can see how people would dislike the focus shifting away from the four guys, but I like the new additions too.

The only disappointment I have really is how Raj is treated. I wasn't bothered by the Penny/Raj hook-up at the end of Season 4, as that incident was somewhat realistic (Penny does have form here) and could have led to some character development for Raj. The problem I have with Raj is that there hasn't really been any development, and if there is in an episode it is quickly forgotten. He's gone from a mild-mannered guy who can't speak to women, to a guy who spends much of his time drunk because he's lonely and is not particularly nice when he's drunk. It sometimes seems like the only point of Raj being in an episode is now to throw out some ambiguously gay lines.

I think most of the characters have grown, as much as they ever do in sitcoms, except Raj. Howard's getting married and is, as funny as Howard was back in the early seasons, much better than a fifth year of him slimly hitting on women. Sheldon sort of has a romantic interest, a lot of growth and yet it feels like a natural progression to me. Leonard is not spending his time lonely and pining for Penny, and hasn't been the same depressed sad sack for a while. On the whole, I think the show is in a very good place for its fifth season. I don't agree with most of what some people dislike these days, but there are areas I'm not thrilled with. I just hope Raj will see some character improvement soon.

I think what I am driving at here is to try to understand what the aim is in finding an answer to the question? To seek agreement with the sentiment of the question, which is a dead end to discussion, or to provoke discussion and debate? Which I would phrase as "What do you think of the changes in the characters and story lines of The Big Bang Theory?" (but that’s just me ;) )

Yes, that's very intentional. :D It was suggested that to try remove some of the negativity that surrounds every new episode's thread, a thread might be made for people who aren't keen on where the show is heading. This is my attempt to try draw some of that discussion to a thread of its own. Despite the question in the title, it's more a thread for those who think the show is getting worse or those just don't like certain aspects of the show and want to vent. Even people who like the show probably have a few things they're not that happy with. :)

• Like 1

Good to hear your opinion tripper. I was wondering if you were trying to maintain an objective stance due to your position as moderator.

I think having this thread is a great idea. It will be a good place to come to crank without interrupting anyone. Although it is odd that this is my second post in this thread and I'm not really being cranky in either one.

Perhaps I am settling down a bit about what I see as major changes to the show. I miss the physics. However, I find that I am still watching the show, I just don't relate to it personally anymore. It's still better than most of the other shows in tv wasteland.

@Tripper very well thought out and explained! Thank you for setting this thread up.

You mentioned both my problems with were the show is headed

I like the Amy character most of the time, especially the genuine heartfelt affection she feels for Penny and to finally have a friend. It is however a shame that those moments tend to be ruined by some semi-homoerotic comment from Amy. Those comments were funny at first, but now they're predictable, unrealistic and distract from the real friendship Amy has.

The only disappointment I have really is how Raj is treated. I wasn't bothered by the Penny/Raj hook-up at the end of Season 4, as that incident was somewhat realistic (Penny does have form here) and could have led to some character development for Raj. The problem I have with Raj is that there hasn't really been any development, and if there is in an episode it is quickly forgotten. He's gone from a mild-mannered guy who can't speak to women, to a guy who spends much of his time drunk because he's lonely and is not particularly nice when he's drunk. It sometimes seems like the only point of Raj being in an episode is now to throw out some ambiguously gay lines.

Other than those two things I am quite happy with the show. There will always be little bits here and there that I look at and don't understand why the writers had to add them but I shurg them off and look at the episodes as whole. I make time to sit down and watch it every Thursday, even if its a busy day.

Ok, I will rise to the bait. Fish On!

Yes, that's very intentional. It was suggested that to try remove some of the negativity that surrounds every new episode's thread, a thread might be made for people who aren't keen on where the show is heading.

Boy, Itwassuggested has a pretty thin skin if people's honest opinions disturb them enough to tattle to the moderator. Itwassuggested probably wants to live in a land of rainbows and unicorns, where everything is happy and sunny and STD-less, where its Ok to sleep with your friends true love on a drunken lark, cuz "he doesn't own her". :icon_rolleyes:

I particularly like the idea of herding off people you don't agree with to their own little area, where they can't affect the "purity" of the right thinkers. Clever, if historically distasteful.

Now, I will spit out your lure and return to the depths.

Itwassuggested has a pretty thin skin if people's honest opinions disturb them enough to tattle to the moderator.

Actually, it was this thread (see below) created by Mousedroppings that, in turn, lead to this thread being created by Tripper

http://forum.the-big-bang-theory.com/thread-1779.html

It had nothing to do with someone tattling to admin.

Hey, this is a thread about people being disappointed with the show. If you want to talk about your disappointment with the forum, you should start another thread.

:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Don't tempt me. :icon_cheesygrin:

I admit I don't have the time or inclination to view every useless thread on this board, much less comment on them.

As far as the direction of the show, I will repeat my very first post on this forum:

RE: What Is Your Favorite Episode?

My favorite is the christmas episode:

"Look Leonard, Sheldon's hugging me!!!"

How did they go from that to:

"Look Leonard, Raj is f__k ing me!!!"

Boy, Itwassuggested has a pretty thin skin if people's honest opinions disturb them enough to tattle to the moderator. Itwassuggested probably wants to live in a land of rainbows and unicorns, where everything is happy and sunny and STD-less, where its Ok to sleep with your friends true love on a drunken lark, cuz "he doesn't own her". :icon_rolleyes:

I particularly like the idea of herding off people you don't agree with to their own little area, where they can't affect the "purity" of the right thinkers. Clever, if historically distasteful.

Now, I will spit out your lure and return to the depths.

As netmouse has said, it was based on a suggestion posted publicly on the forums. It was not a hidden conversation, nobody came tattling to the moderator. There's no reason to believe people's opinions about the show, negative or otherwise, are disturbing anyone.

The discussion isn't being guided to a thread (incidentally in the most prominent board on the forums ;)) so people can ignore it, it's just going where it's best suited. Any opinions on individual episodes can go where they've always gone, in the episode discussion threads. If you don't like recent episodes, and I'm guessing that's the case ;), you can post all about it in the episode threads. The same goes for talk about seasons in the seasons board. This thread is about the general direction of the show over a few seasons, so surely belongs in the board about the show in general. There's no attempt to silence people or herd them away from others.

Well, it's possible I might have gone a little overboard. :icon_redface:

I am just So Unhappy about the current direction of the show and most people's blase' acceptance of it.

I like 2-1/2 men, but I wouldn't care if they threw one of the characters in front of a train, as long as it was funny. I don't identify with any of those characters. It's just a humorous train wreck. A Clown Show. Audience investment = 0 Maybe there are a bunch of Charlie Harper wannbees over on a 2-1/2 men forum right now complaining about the direction of the show. Who cares. Its just a show.

For whatever reason TBBT hooked me with its premise, that the geeky smart guy could get the girl. I want to see how it ends. You know there are going to be obstacles. Maybe it will be a glorious failure, one that minstrels will sing about. Maybe an even more glorious success. But that's all gone. Penny has gone from the " nice girl next door type" to something a lot less nice. A lot less nice. Why would Leonard want that? Because he is insecure? Grow a pair, for god's sake!

The end game I see now is Leonard being with Penny because she is the only girl he can get, and Penny being with Leonard because he is the only guy who will have her after all her indiscretions. And they lived happily ever after. Now that's romance.

But hey, the ratings are up. Way, way up. Most watched show and all that.

"Two girls and a cup" is watched a lot too, but that doesn't mean its good.

• Like 1

Grow a pair, for god's sake!

-2.jpg

yeah the storyline kind of killed it for me

but im just trying to forget the whole incident and just watch what is funny at that moment

You've gotta know from the last episode that there's a real teaser going on, implying that we're not done with Leonard and Penny just yet. They're going to flirt with dating again, but bump heads on it a few more times... then eventually they'll get together, after working more on the friendship side. We've had the Priya arc... and now we need an arc with Penny dating someone for a stretch. Both of them have a lot of growing to do socially (Leonard needing it a bit more). And once there, they'll have a better chance of giving it a go again. Of course... once that happens, the show will be heading towards the finish line. So it can't happen too soon. :icon_wink:

The show is definitely getting worse for me. The reason I liked the initial show was that there was an element of science and a lot of nerd / geek fun. That seems to be gone now. In its current form, the guys could be anything really - the fact that they are scientists hardly plays into the scripts in any way that is important. Now there is all of this "personal growth" and "working on their relationships". Sure there are a lot of people who like that sort of thing, but there are tons of shows of that ilk out there already.

What I liked in the original show was that I could relate personally to a lot of things that you just don't run into very often. Physics jokes, conversational references to scientific studies, what I will refer to as "nerd" culture. It was nice to have one show on TV that seemed to be directed toward people who live in that world. Now the show has gone mainstream and they have taken that sort of thing out so they can appeal to a wider audience.

The show is definitely getting worse for me. The reason I liked the initial show was that there was an element of science and a lot of nerd / geek fun. That seems to be gone now. In its current form, the guys could be anything really - the fact that they are scientists hardly plays into the scripts in any way that is important.

But they have to scientist! Or else they would not be able to use the cafeteria at the university :icon_cheesygrin:

I don't want to get to into this as I've bored people enough with my disappointment with how things have gone so I'll try to be quick.

There were a lot of things in season four where they drifted away from the show I like. Characters acting unlike themselves, a dumbing down of the comedy and general writing but I put up with it because well I wanted to enjoy the show. But the finale was the straw that broke the camels back.

The shock ending was a jump the shark moment that ruined the series (for me) in one quick stab in the back. They ruined the series for a cheap shock ending which is unforgivable.

Its been gone over many times but the whole thing was completely out of character and made no sense. The reaction of the other characters again made no sense, Howard was more bothered about poetry than Leonard was about his friend sleeping with the love of his life and no it doesn't matter if they were single etc. When emotions are involved that goes out the window, I've witnessed it many times in real life. The way things have been done this season show they realise they made a mistake but didn't have the guts to admit it and fix it.

Let's put it this way. If throughout season four Raj had been crying on Penny's shoulder about being lonely and Penny had been crying on his shoulder about making a mistake with Leonard then even though I would still hate it you could see the reason for it to happen. But to have Penny whos only real interaction with Raj was to call him creepy because he couldn't talk to her and arrogant when drunk suddenly say she would be all over Raj if they werent friends is insulting.

Also the huge amount of time given to non main cast characters isn't helping. I don't care about Amy, she's an amusing character for Sheldon to play off but she shouldn't have an entire episode dedicated to her she shouldn't have to appear in every single episode taking time away from the main cast.

The latest episode for example we have Raj, Howard and Sheldon hanging out like old times and it's good. Then they get shoved off so we can give Amy and Bernadette some screen time, it isn't as funny and is a pretty bad way to treat two main cast members.

TBBT was something special now it's more successful but not as special it's become a by the numbers sitcom. I'll watch it because it's TBBT but it's now only decent not great.

• Like 1

I'll try to be quick.

Wall of text says otherwise... you lied !! lolz j/king :D

TBBT was something special now it's more successful but not as special it's become a by the numbers sitcom. I'll watch it because it's TBBT but it's now only decent not great.

But the last bit is a very valid comment.

I don't see the show as getting any worse, but rather it's getting different. There are only so many stories that you can do with a tight knit group of friends, before you start resorting to plot devices that are a little out of the ordinary. This is usually the normal progression of things, in all aspects of entertainment. Look at music for example: the first album is usually interesting and gets people's attention, then with the financial backing and creative license behind them, the artist(s) come out strong with a great second album quite often believed to be their best, and then the third album tends to be sort of a departure as they try to get a bit more creative until by the fourth or fifth album they have veered so far from where they originated that, while still good in their own right, they might also begin to alienate those who have followed them the longest. Happens all the time.

I for one am finding The Big Bang Theory as entertaining as ever.

[attachment=146]

If Leonard grows one of these, then he will have 2 of them. Does that mean he will take twice the pounding? :icon_razz: Doesn't sound like a very good deal to me.