The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Is The Big Bang Theory getting worse?

^ Fantastic, Sterculius! Thanks so much for posting that. Hilarious. :icon_lol:

I don't want to get to into this as I've bored people enough with my disappointment with how things have gone so I'll try to be quick.

[..edited..]

TBBT was something special now it's more successful but not as special it's become a by the numbers sitcom. I'll watch it because it's TBBT but it's now only decent not great.

That's part of the problem with a TV series becoming very successful. The chief executives get all pent up about maximizing audience pull. That "geeky/nerdy" audience is not a huge percentage of the TV viewing audience, so they're trying to reach a broader audience now. And of course, that is going to dilute the characteristics that had such appeal to the "original" viewers.

I hope it doesn't take a slipping of ratings to make Chuck Lorre realize this, because by then the momentum towards "series end" will be hard to reverse.

The whole premise of the story is that a young, attractive girl moves next door to two geeks, who have no idea about the world outside of their group, but she expands their world, and this is basically what has happened. Their world has expanded.

I would expect that men of the age of the guys would find girls (eg Amy and Bernadette), and get married. But I would like to see Amy and Bernadette more in the background, like they were in the latest episode, don't get me wrong I like both Amy and Bernadette very much, but they should stay background characters, and let's concentrate on the main 5.

@Sterculius: the first line of the season 5 analogy appears to ringing true atm (in it's infancy right now, but creeping upwards)

I think this image might be appropriate.

seriestwo.jpg

This is great. The problem being TBBT jumped ahead of the curve with getting rid of old writers speeding up the decline.

This is great. The problem being TBBT jumped ahead of the curve with getting rid of old writers speeding up the decline.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Spot on.

So the problem is that they are so forward thinking and so far ahead of every other show out there that they are already into season 7.

Ugh... sorry, but Frasier was NOT the brilliant piece of comedy that so many make it out to be.

I am going to get flamed for that comment, but I still have no idea what the big deal with Frasier was.

Roseanne came very close, but lost it during the final season. Seinfeld managed to maintain a high standard through the entire series. Friends was too much of a roller coaster ride. Some middle seasons were rubbish.

You know thinking of my past relationships with tv series, I don't usually make it to season 5 and beyond. And usually when I do its because I stopped watching a during season 2 or 3 and happen to pick it up again in its beyond state.

So I guess you could say BBT is my longest tv relationship.... O.O

I thought Frasier was a great show in the beginning... but then, it became very predictable.

* Niles chases Daphne, but Daphne pretends like she's clueless and Niles remains frustrated.

* Frasier and Niles and embark on something great and find a way to screw it up.

* Martin makes his usual "to the point" observations for a few laughs

So they finally crossed the bridge with Niles and Daphne, putting them together. Then they tried to find ways to make their lives complicated. But in the end... the show kind of puttered out rather than finishing with a crescendo.

well its a 30 min break between TBBT on E4 andE4+1 so far season 5 is a total non-starter for me season 5 ep 4 could have been a classic raj finally falling in love but no they decide to hook him up with a gold digger penny fed up that she didnt know raj had money i hope this show gets better all go through a trough otherwise i for one will fall out of love with this show i wont plan my thursday nights around it and that will be be a shame i aint watched a show this religiously since buffy the vampire slayer i know sad eh

well its a 30 min break between TBBT on E4 andE4+1 so far season 5 is a total non-starter for me season 5 ep 4 could have been a classic raj finally falling in love but no they decide to hook him up with a gold digger penny fed up that she didnt know raj had money i hope this show gets better all go through a trough otherwise i for one will fall out of love with this show i wont plan my thursday nights around it and that will be be a shame i aint watched a show this religiously since buffy the vampire slayer i know sad eh

Its funny. I've seen Buffy and Firefly both mentioned several times by Big Bang fans. I love those shows and have watched them repeatedly over the years. Even loaded them on my phone to watch during long flights.

I'm also falling out of love with Big Bang. I still watch it, but I don't find it anywhere near as compelling as I used to. I used to have the entire Big bang on my phone as well, but it got deleted.

Its funny. I've seen Buffy and Firefly both mentioned several times by Big Bang fans. I love those shows and have watched them repeatedly over the years. Even loaded them on my phone to watch during long flights.

I'm also falling out of love with Big Bang. I still watch it, but I don't find it anywhere near as compelling as I used to. I used to have the entire Big bang on my phone as well, but it got deleted.

I think Joss Whedon is amazing at writing characters. So much so he could make a demon with a baggy skin condition come off as a believable person lol.

That's what TBBT had and what it's started to lose. No matter that it was a sitcom or that Sheldon had his moments you could believe in the characters. Thats gone now.

I think Joss Whedon is amazing at writing characters. So much so he could make a demon with a baggy skin condition come off as a believable person lol.

That's what TBBT had and what it's started to lose. No matter that it was a sitcom or that Sheldon had his moments you could believe in the characters. Thats gone now.

Oh yeah, the baggy skinned guy, Klem? It's so true. Weird to look at but I liked his character.

After seeing tonight's episode of BBT I'm starting to doubt whether or not BBT is getting worse or not. I know some people like her but what's been ruining the show for me is Amy. I find her so annoying. The first few episodes with her in really small doses were kind of funny but she's been getting more annoying the more she appears.

I really hope the writers get back to what the show is about and take the main characters and develop THEM further. Don't ruin the main characters by making Penny a drunk and shoving Howard and Raj into the background.

Penny needs to quit drinking and maybe lands in so much credit card debt due to the huge rent bill (you know her apartment wouldn't be cheap) and her teeny tiny paycheck that she has to move back home for a few episodes...OR she gets a second job. OR she lands a steady acting gig.

It would be nice to see Leonard achieve something great with his work since Sheldon's always bashing it and because Leonard focusses more on his friends and love life than his work. Maybe HE could get the noble prize and we could see Sheldon uber-jealous but at the same time, realize that you can get a nobel prize without closing off parts of his life (like love or new experiences).

Howard and Raj need to have more scenes. Raj needs to learn to speak to women. Howard needs a big work achievement or...even get a PHd.

Sheldon needs to grow more. I kind of would like to see what happens if all his friends are busy with other friends, work, girlfriends, etc and Sheldon's alone for a week. At first he'd probably be grateful but I want him to have a revelation that he doesn't want to be left alone for the rest of his life and that maybe he needs to try new things or god forbid, get a real girlfriend (No Amy).

I do kind of feel like the characters are being laughed at and not 'with'. I don't want to watch another show with cheap laughs or easy plotlines. With Sheldon for instance, they could have written in a better love interest. Amy's good for him as a friend but I can't stand anything that comes out of her mouth and she needs to be in the background. They implied over and over that Sheldon wasn't interested and now he is? Sort of? It's a cop out to have them together, imo. If you want a love interest, the writers should have just used their imaginations and written a new one.

I'd say 95% of the people I know that are in relationships, can be considered very different than their partners but they're happy. I don't think I've seen anyone together that are nearly identical (personality wise) and happy together. If you want to take examples of fictional characters, take Leonard's parents. They sounded a lot alike but it also sounded like the marriage was bad. These things are why I don't want Sheldon and Amy together...not to mention how big of a bore she is. AND I also think it's the same reason I don't like Amy as Penny's friend. There are times where it's obvious that Penny's trying to be nice to her just for the sake of tolerating her - not because she wants to be her friend. Other times, Penny gets annoyed with her... I feel THEIR relationship was forced as though Penny never really wanted to hang out with her - since the first moment Amy told Penny not to touch her breasts.

Yeah I'm rambling but there you have it...why I think the show may be going downhill. I just hope the writers can fix it.

• Like 1

I feel like some of you would understand when I talk about how much I love (or rather loved) this show. As Quietmale said, I built Thursday night around this show. I felt connections to these characters. The scientific and pop-cultural references made this show so unbelievably unique and relatable. Not to mention the amazing characters. In season 4, it all just changed. Introducing Amy (no offense to Mayim Bialik, she is a great actress) was the worst thing to happen to BBT. She went from being the unfunny, robot who found "the notion of romantic love to be an unnecessary cultural construct that has no value to human relationships" to an inappropriate semi-lesbian who is (in my view) forced upon Sheldon. Season 5 though, has been like a knife to the heart every episode. It has become so predictable and unoriginal. If I wanted relationship drama, I would watch a Friends rerun. The main characters have been thrown under the bus for the Frankenstein of Shamy.

Leonard: (season1,2,3)Lovable Leon-nerd. (now at season 5 ep.10)single, still important, but has he always been this cynical and annoying?

Penny: (season1,2,3) Quirky, tough, struggling actress, girl next door (now at season 5 ep.10) a drunk, a skank who gets drunk and sleeps with anyone apparently. what is up with her acting career? I was intrigued in the 1st ep of season 5 when she said she was going home to Nebraska. that could have lead to some good episodes really (not with her ending up leaving of course)

Sheldon:(seasons1,2,3)all I have to say is BAZINGA! *knock knock knock* Penny? (now at season 5 ep.10) Sheldon is being forced to like this woman it looks like. Yes peopele do change and develop, but come on. Sheldon has lived 30yrs being Sheldon, and now in the he has a girlfriend! need I say more? And when was the last time we got something as memorable as ROCK PAPER SCISSORS LIZARD SPOCK? Or when was the last time you hear Leonard say "here we go" to prelude a Sheldon speech?

Howard: (season1,2,3)Hilariously perverted. (now at season 5 ep.10) with him, i can actually see character growth I guess. who would have thought he would be such a relatively good fiance?

Raj: (season1,2,3)Selective mute, but soo funny. Come on, singing a hindi lullaby in his head while hugging penny! priceless! (now at season 5 ep.10) I feel really sorry for this character and what the writers have done to him/ If its not drunkard, its awkward homosexual remark or how about just sitting in the room, with his only line being delivered by whispering in someone's ear.

THESE CHARACTERS ARE THE REASON WHY WE WATCHED THE SHOW IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

All I have to say about Bernadette is she is adorable! she is human, she does the Howard's mother impersonation perfectly.

My wish for this show, is that they just return to their science-y roots. And maybe the return of KWIPKE! lol.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one"

I think I should stop watching. Honestly I haven't really recovered from the betrayal of 4x24 and I watch each episode waiting for them to do something horrendous again. They have changed my favorite character, Penny, into someone I hardly recognize. Tonight's drunken Penny was really too much. Was she reminiscing about Leonard? If not Leonard then who? We pretty much know her dating history for the last 8 years. Add this to the fact that I find myself ridiculously affected by Penny's real life alter ego, Kaley, and her recent life choices. I think this show has bent me somehow. I have never cared one whit about a sitcom before. Took each episode for what it was worth. Somehow this one has crawled under my skin. Were season's 1-3 really that good? Did I actually fall in love with these guys. Sheesh!

I feel your pain.

Kaley, and her recent life choices

Yeah, it's hard to put someone on a pedestal when they are slippery from all the mud. I notice over on the fan forum that the Kaley appreciation thread hasn't had a new post since 11/5. I guess the girls over there are giving her the silent treatment.

I wish they'd stop making people drunks!

First Raj, then they backed off on that.

Then Amy, and they backed off on that.

Next Raj for a second time and this time he's a complete drunk

And now Penny, her passing out on the floor says it all

The show now seems like a stage play rather than a sitcom. The actors seem to overact a little especially when delivering punchlines as if pandering to a studio audience. Lose the stage feel and get back to a sitcom feel. Directors and editors i'm talking to you!!!

on another note..

I think the characters should evolve. The friendship bond is bound to improve the characters social skills which will eventually mean more "normal" behavior from all involved.

I'd love "normal" behavior, but all they seem to be giving us is bad relationship drama and Penny's decent into alcoholism.

So to basically sum things up. Penny drops Leonard because he told her that he loves her. She still hangs around stealing wifi and food. She turns into an alcoholic because he moves on with his life, gets drunk, and decides to have sex with Raj in Leonard's bed. She turns into a bigger lush and last night decides that she is going to steal clothes from a Goodwill type of organization. Meanwhile Amy keeps dropping more and more homoerotic hints about Penny to the point where I expect Penny to get drunk and end up in bed with her or Amy kidnaps her and chains her to her bed.

Either the Penny character needs to head in a new direction or perhaps have her move back to Nebraska. Perhaps replace with Sheldon's twin sister who I recently saw on a rerun. As it is now, the Penny character is dragging the show down.