The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Is The Big Bang Theory getting worse?

Thanks for opening this (much-needed) thread! My answer to the title question = no (of course), and I agree with Tripper's views in general, but let me go ahead and list some of what I find good/bad, anyway.

I've enjoyed season 5, so far, more than 4, and 4 more than 3. I agree that seasons 1 and 2 had a different and unique flavour to them. But since I'm one of those who really like the evolution of the core characters and the interesting dynamics which the new cast members bring (especially Amy), I see more good than bad in how the show is progressing, on the whole.

I have a few cribs with the way Penny's and Raj's characters are being written in this season. Raj I've never really been able to take seriously, he comes across as a purely comic character, but still his stagnation seems rather sad. And about Penny, all this arbitrary drinking and pining has to be leading somewhere - probably to a romantic reconciliation with Leonard - but I still wish they would do something about her acting career. There was a suggestion of it in the season premiere, it would be great if they built on that in some future episode.

It seems that the writers are paying more attention to writing Sheldon/Amy and Howard/Bernadette at this time (with very good results on those fronts). But I'd like to see Penny pick herself up again, at some point, and Raj do something more than bemoaning his loneliness and giving a couple of hilarious one-liners.

Roseanne had a couple of 'meh' seasons, but it still did ok.

I guess with any series that gets past it's 3rd or 4th year, you're gonna get a few duds in the mix.

"A couple of meh seasons?" Roseanne was the best show of the early '90s. It went from that to UNWATCHABLE its last 2 1/2 seasons. Coincidentally, this happened at the same time that Roseanne's marriage with Tom Arnold broke up & he stopped working on the show. Was the secret to "Roseanne" Tom Arnold? Wow! Who would have guessed that!

Incidentally, "Roseanne" was a solid performer up until its 7th season. SEVENTH!

I agree that this season has been my least favorite, and the last episode was the first one that I was sorry that I wasted my time watching. That being said, I have heard some things that makes me believe things are going to get much better and just maybe, it took some painful and awkward episodes in order to make some direction changes in the series. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Do tell! What changes are afoot?

Most of the shows I watch are done for me after season 5...so BBT is no different. American shows have too many episodes and not a lot creativity. They rehash writers. I

Frasier rehashed writers and I think that is why it was successful for so long. A lot of people say it went downhill after Niles and Daphne got together but I would guess those people were watching it for the romantic content.I watched it as a comedy and thought it was funny until the end.

Red Dwarf was classic sci-fi comedy from series 2 to 6. Then (possibly for the American market via PBS) they introduced a romantic element into series 7 which did not go down well with the UK fans. In fairness tothem they scrapped that and went back to Men Behaving Badly in Space.

Most of the shows I watch are done for me after season 5...so BBT is no different. American shows have too many episodes and not a lot creativity. They rehash writers. I

Frasier rehashed writers and I think that is why it was successful for so long. A lot of people say it went downhill after Niles and Daphne got together but I would guess those people were watching it for the romantic content.I watched it as a comedy and thought it was funny until the end.

Red Dwarf was classic sci-fi comedy from series 2 to 6. Then (possibly for the American market via PBS) they introduced a romantic element into series 7 which did not go down well with the UK fans. In fairness tothem they scrapped that and went back to Men Behaving Badly in Space.

The writers on Frasier rung every ounce of sexual tension jokes out off that show for 7 years before they finally put them together, by which time the show was well passed its prime. Good writing makes any storyline good.

I enjoy the show now as much as I ever have. There are some episodes that aren't spectacular, but all of them have their funny moments. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if a half hour sitcom can find time for what has become seven major characters? I enjoy the interaction between the different characters, but any scene without Sheldon just leaves me waiting for the next one that features him. If the whole show was Sheldon centered it would be fine with me. He's fun to watch, but I wouldn't want to live with him.

Sometimes I wonder where the writers are taking the show. Will Howard marry Bernadette? If he does, then that would inevitably lead to a lot less time for his character to spend with the other guys. What will happen between Leonard and Penny? Sheldon and Amy? Will Raj find someone he can talk to and develop a relationship with? Good writers can do almost anything with the show and make it work. But, take the characters in the wrong direction and it could all fall apart.

TBBT is my favorite show and the only one that I watch every week. It has changed from season one and will probably change more as it goes forward. But, it is different, not worse.

Yes and no… things have definitely shifted. For a lot of fans this has been hard to stomach. I think of Seasons 4 onwards as TBBT Mark 2. It doesn't bear that much resemblance to the original, the nerd culture is significantly watered down. I appreciate the show as something new now. And I like to think I am open minded and not adverse to change, but there is something almost masochistic about watching Sheldon, my favourite character, mutant in a way that is both intriguing and repulsive to me. It's interesting to see seeing Jim Parsons play him in a new way though, if that makes sense.

It's just a great bit of fun and I don't have any negative feelings towards the new characters. Sheldon having someone in his life who doesn't simply tolerate him, is quite refreshing to me. I always watch and it's definitely my favourite show at the moment.

I'm okay with the show but at times I'm not sure where it's going at times there's a good episode and then it might follow an okay or not very good one, of I could change it a little I'd start with knock it off Amy behavior towards penny, then give penny a last name and a career developement either focus more on her acting career if that's not a possibilty start something new career wise, maybe go back to college or get a new job because she obiviously doesn't want to be a waitress forever or work at the cheesecake factory and deal with raj's mutism wheter it's therapy or some other measure he's penny's friend 5 yrs, Bernadette three and then Amy for two but still can't talk to them and when they're around he walks around with a beer in his hand.

I didn't have a problem with the penny/raj they should've just had them slept together and taken it from there or had them just in bed together sleeping only nothing happened with raj in bed naked because I could believe that he might sleep in the nude and penny waking up in just her underwear and strapless bra giving the apperance they might had slept together since penny was wasted maybe she was attempting to make her way to her apartment but would up sleeping in raj's bed instead, but we got a half way scenario that penny didn't like if people were on board of what happened they were hoping they would've done the deed and the people that were so against it that nothing happened but the truth won't come out and the group will think they slept together.

I agree that the way the show is written has shifted. It appears that Bill Prady and Chuck Lorre have decided to keep Amy and Bernadette indefinitely, and that has forced them into a different writing style. They only have 20 minutes in which to work in seven characters' storylines, so the storylines have evolved into long arcs (like Leonard and Penny's relationship storyline) rather than single-episode arcs. In that regard, Season 5 almost feels like a transition season. I do; however, like the new format nearly as much as the old one.

any scene without Sheldon just leaves me waiting for the next one that features him. If the whole show was Sheldon centered it would be fine with me.

Agree with this. As someone said in another thread, Sheldon is what makes the show special. When Sheldon isn't in a scene, it seems like a run of the mill sitcom.

About Bernadette, she is cute and amusing, but she is about as ordinary and stock as a sitcom character can get. I feel like I have already seen her a million times. I like her (that character wouldn't be used so much if she weren't likeable) but IMO she pulls the show down to ordinariness.

Also (although I haven't seen all the episodes) it seems that she doesn't do much funny interacting with Sheldon. It seems that she (like Priya) only takes precious minutes away from Sheldon.:icon_confused:

IMO it declined last season and hasn't improved much if at all this season. I think that it is a mistake to take Prya out of the mix. It is much more believable for a PHD like Leonard to be dating a high end lawyer like Pria who is well educated, sophisticated, and witty then some an uneducated borderline alcoholic waitress like Penny. Remember Penny's Father's description of some of her previous boyfriends. I particularly remember the one who wanted to make fuel out of hog manure so he took the excrement directly from the source and put it in his gas tank without any type or processing. So she is going from that to a PHD? I don't think so.

I think the show is following the same downward path of countless sitcoms before. The writers get bored with the characters and try to make them "evolve" but in doing so they lose sight of what made them funny in the first place. They've painted themselves into a corner with Bernadette and AFF and don't know where to go with them. The interaction of four geeks and a beautiful floozy is what made the show funny.

in my mind the notion of sheldon having a gf i love ikt by i sincerly hate amy. she's awkward in a bad way. not like sheldon. i like bernadette but personally i dont understand the connection between howard and bernadete lots of bad and not a lot of good raj's charcater is the unsung hero and will always be. his character is great. sheldon!!!!!! has lost the condescension but is still great but bring back a bit more. amy leave now. the show has declined in quality becuase of the extras charcater on the show. nothing more nothing less. the only relationship i see that should so to speak last is penny/leonard. i liked the days at the lab, paintball, star treck the kripke rivalry was great but there so few left. my final point if i made a poll (who thinks sheldon or penny or leoanrd or raj or howard stay the chances will be 90%+ yes but bernadette or amy 50-60% that's is terrible is comparsion i would like to see vindictaive bernie after howard leaves him and amy gone forever

the show hs declined but it started so high that iit was expected. p.s stagnatin is ok. p.p.s only show that improved over the years is how i met your mother.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the most recent episode, but the previous one I felt as though Sheldon's extreme selfishness was becoming annoying, despite him being my favourite character. Although he's supposedly autistic, you'd think that so many years hanging out with the others would teach him how some behaviour is unacceptable. That having been said I'm not really sure where the writers are going with Sheldon.

I do think the show has the potential of running for as long as Friends did. It's becoming very popular in the UK and the DVDs are always selling out these days!

Yes and no… things have definitely shifted. For a lot of fans this has been hard to stomach. I think of Seasons 4 onwards as TBBT Mark 2. It doesn't bear that much resemblance to the original, the nerd culture is significantly watered down. I appreciate the show as something new now. And I like to think I am open minded and not adverse to change, but there is something almost masochistic about watching Sheldon, my favourite character, mutant in a way that is both intriguing and repulsive to me. It's interesting to see seeing Jim Parsons play him in a new way though, if that makes sense.

I agree with this. I enjoy the new 'longer-story-arcs' format more because of the added depth and complexity in the characterizations, but sometimes I miss Sheldon being exactly like he was. On the other hand, it's fascinating to see him evolve into human emotions in still Sheldonesque (i.e. not normal) ways.

Jim Parsons is a magician, he can get away with doing whatever they ask him to do. His choked-up 'sorry' in Vacation Solution must be one of the most emotionally intense moments of the show so far.

I agree with this. I enjoy the new 'longer-story-arcs' format more because of the added depth and complexity in the characterizations, but sometimes I miss Sheldon being exactly like he was. On the other hand, it's fascinating to see him evolve into human emotions in still Sheldonesque (i.e. not normal) ways.

Jim Parsons is a magician, he can get away with doing whatever they ask him to do. His choked-up 'sorry' in Vacation Solution must be one of the most emotionally intense moments of the show so far.

I miss Sheldon the way he was too. But when he apologised to Amy you could have heard a pin drop.

I miss Sheldon the way he was too. But when he apologised to Amy you could have heard a pin drop.

True.. the studio audience is rarely silent, but this seemed to have been a moment of holding everyone's breath.

IMO it declined last season and hasn't improved much if at all this season. I think that it is a mistake to take Prya out of the mix. It is much more believable for a PHD like Leonard to be dating a high end lawyer like Pria who is well educated, sophisticated, and witty then some an uneducated borderline alcoholic waitress like Penny. Remember Penny's Father's description of some of her previous boyfriends. I particularly remember the one who wanted to make fuel out of hog manure so he took the excrement directly from the source and put it in his gas tank without any type or processing. So she is going from that to a PHD? I don't think so.

That is just it. She didn't jump from idiot to PHD in one instant. It took 2 full seasons for Leonard to grow on Penny. Leonard on the other hand wouldn't have cared if Penny was a serial killer. He fell in love with her the first time he saw her. I hated Priya. She was a domineering manipulative pain. She reminded me of Leonard's mother. That is the last thing he would need.

well it's not much believeable that penny would date the likes of Leonard until he grew on her. Priya from a educated standpoint might have been perfect but she controlled him. Besides Leonard was gaga for penny when they first met and didn't know much about her. Penny didn't go straight from idiot to Ph.D. she broke up with Kurt moved across the hall dated the same guys while gradually starting hanging out with the guys and gradually started liking them and Leonard, maybe the reason penny dated guys like that when in Omaha might be because maybe those were the only type of guys around and maybe what was expected of her, and just because penny doesn't have a college degree doesn't mean she's not smart. So you'd rather have Leonard date someone like priya who's educated and controling and doesn't respect Leonard or his opinion who went so far as to ban penny due to her jealousy over someone like penny who might not be college educated but is smart in her own way, who is also warm and caring with ambition and a good heart.

I Think BBT is becoming more like mainstreem sitcom.

I Just watched episode, where Amy, Penny and Bernadetta are having a slumber party and Amy is looking from the net what should be done in such. The episode ends Amy going to the bathroom with Penny intending to "go lesbian" with her, because it was in the net... I think that was done purely because they thought male viewers would be all exited! Sucking the audience!:D

I Am not quite sure why it effected me so much, but it was something they would do in Friends or some such...

Well they need to stop with the lesbian comments it's run its course and no longer funny if it ever was and it's on every episode at least once and it just makes everyone uncomfortable and takes away from the episode.

I Think BBT is becoming more like mainstreem sitcom.

I Just watched episode, where Amy, Penny and Bernadetta are having a slumber party and Amy is looking from the net what should be done in such. The episode ends Amy going to the bathroom with Penny intending to "go lesbian" with her, because it was in the net... I think that was done purely because they thought male viewers would be all exited! Sucking the audience!:D

I Am not quite sure why it effected me so much, but it was something they would do in Friends or some such...

Amy looking up tips on what to do at a slumber party on the net is completely believable. Leonard googled sex techniques. Sheldon has looked up things on the internet to try to understand how to conduct himself in unknown areas. And it is not at all hard to see getting a search result that would suggest lesbian activity taking place at a girl's slumber party. And Amy acting on the information is totally in character.