The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Is The Big Bang Theory getting worse?

I was disappointed in the finale  - it just felt like another run-of-the-mill episode in January or February.

There should be a storyline in which the viewer needs to watch the first episode of the next season to get closure or an explanation.

That wasnt the case last week.

I dont think the show is getting worse per se, but some of the characters need to grow a little more or require further development.....Raj and Howard are turning one dimensional and boring in contrast to how much fun they were in previous seasons....I'm not a fan of Bernadette and Amy getting so much screen time at the expense of Raj and Howard story lines...

• Like 2

One of my household said tbbt was getting too relationship heavy. That person's viewing list:

friends

gossip girl,

SITC,

Sabrina,

smallville

once upon a time.

favorite movie: that one with Jennifer Aniston or the other one with Sandra Bullock (they fluctuate)

lol.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

I dont think the show is getting worse per se, but some of the characters need to grow a little more or require further development.....Raj and Howard are turning one dimensional and boring in contrast to how much fun they were in previous seasons....I'm not a fan of Bernadette and Amy getting so much screen time at the expense of Raj and Howard story lines...

In what way they were more fun? Howard used to be a jerk-ass and now is becoming more bearable imo. For Raj you're right.

His character needs development, maybe you can give me a clue in what direction. Myself I don't see how, personally I think is better for him to go back to India to his filthy rich parents and settle down there. It seems to me that he's in Pasadena only to fool himself contributing very little to science and in search of recognition of what? The man is not available for relationships.He has hangovers because is of different culture. (Even his sister went back to her parents there because it was easier for her that way). Integration for Raj is more difficult than the rest of them.

Edited by wannamaker
  • Like 1

Hell isn't funny.

What he meant was it's just extremely hilarious. Wait, was that sarcasm? I kinda feel like Sheldon right now. :p

I don't know if it is worse, but it is definitely different. Amy and Bernadette do bring a lot to the show, but the price is less Howard, Raj and Leonard (Sheldon will get the most screen time regardless!), and losing the focus on nerds for a focus on nerds in relationships. 

Like others, my favorite seasons are 1-3. Seasons 4-5 I don't like as much, and Season 6 I liked but it is very different. 

Howard is definitely a better guy now, but he's not as funny. His Pepe La Pew act was hilarious, and now that he's with Bernie we will never see it again  :(

And Sheldon's relationship challenges are funny, but I'm in the camp that never wants him to have sex, so that's a negative to me. 

But I thought S6 was a real improvement, and if they are going to be about relationships I just hope they do it as well as they did in S6. Also please no babies for a while. And if there are, Howard better be staying home to take care of them!

Last night I watched The Closure Alternative series 6. (We're behind in the UK)

It was a gem of an episode and proves the magic is still there.

Last night I watched The Closure Alternative series 6. (We're behind in the UK)

It was a gem of an episode and proves the magic is still there.

I wholeheartedly agree, I too was watching it last night and it was a great episode.

I wholeheartedly agree, I too was watching it last night and it was a great episode.

Ditto.  Look, everyone is going to have their opinions on the show.  When the show is that big, it's going to have lots of different opinions.  But I think Season 6 was great.  I favor character development, and we've seen that.  And I like some of the sentimental, romantic stuff in there.  And I laugh watching the show all the time (what better therapy for life's down moments?).  Who couldn't laugh watching Howard doing his Al Pacino impersonation in the penultimate episode of Season 6.  Who knew?  I was rolling on the floor.

Who couldn't laugh watching Howard doing his Al Pacino impersonation in the penultimate episode of Season 6.  Who knew?  I was rolling on the floor.

Oh no, a spoiler. :icon_mad:

We're behind in the UK.

I believe the show was amazing seasons 1-3 and part of 4 anything past that is just awful. They change sheldon too much. I know that sheldon has to change a little because he adapts but this is just too much they make him out to be a perfectly normal human. He is not though. They should defenitely change him back. The new episodes aren't funny. Sheldon needs to be the same as in the first few seasons. It really is annoying because people judge the show due to the episodes that come on tv, like the new episodes. They won't see the wonderful seasons 1-3 and will have to see the crap that is there now.

I mostly agree. I liked all of Season 4, personally. Currently, I'm having to defend The Big Bang Theory against its critics, but the funny thing is even the critics admit that the first 3 or 4 seasons were good after having been informed by myself that they should judge The Big Bang Theory on its first 4 seasons, not on 6 and definitely, definitely not on 5. My cousin, who I've recently spoken to after a year, has also observed that the latest seasons are far worse than the first 3 or 4. 

I think they've done better with 6 than with 5. Season 5 was astoundingly relationship-heavy, so much so that my Season 5 DVD set is now gathering dust (to an outsider, this would be inexplicable, considering the amount of times I have watched and still watch Seasons 1-4). The writers must have known what we were thinking, for it can't merely be a coincidence that they've conspicuously tried to make episodes in which it's just Sheldon, Leonard, Raj and Howard by themselves, with the girls separate. It is a shame that they can't really separate Penny from Amy and Bernadette too, as I do miss the episodes where it was the aforementioned scientists and Penny only. So I'm glad they've tried to balance the uniqueness of the show with the inevitable stain of relationships, while still keeping it funny - as evidenced by The Closure Alternative: the Amy-Sheldon relationship in the aforesaid episode was reminiscent of the Season 4 Amy-Sheldon relationship.

Hopefully they can withdraw the relationship aspect even further in Season 7, emphasise science and nerd culture, and keep it funny.

• Like 2

I mostly agree. I liked all of Season 4, personally. Currently, I'm having to defend The Big Bang Theory against its critics, but the funny thing is even the critics admit that the first 3 or 4 seasons were good after having been informed by myself that they should judge The Big Bang Theory on its first 4 seasons, not on 6 and definitely, definitely not on 5. My cousin, who I've recently spoken to after a year, has also observed that the latest seasons are far worse than the first 3 or 4. 

I think they've done better with 6 than with 5. Season 5 was astoundingly relationship-heavy, so much so that my Season 5 DVD set is now gathering dust (to an outsider, this would be inexplicable, considering the amount of times I have watched and still watch Seasons 1-4). The writers must have known what we were thinking, for it can't merely be a coincidence that they've conspicuously tried to make episodes in which it's just Sheldon, Leonard, Raj and Howard by themselves, with the girls separate. It is a shame that they can't really separate Penny from Amy and Bernadette too, as I do miss the episodes where it was the aforementioned scientists and Penny only. So I'm glad they've tried to balance the uniqueness of the show with the inevitable stain of relationships, while still keeping it funny - as evidenced by The Closure Alternative: the Amy-Sheldon relationship in the aforesaid episode was reminiscent of the Season 4 Amy-Sheldon relationship.

Hopefully they can withdraw the relationship aspect even further in Season 7, emphasise science and nerd culture, and keep it funny.

I totally agree with you Viddy, 6 was better than 5; we got the boys episodes in the fall, but yeah I miss Penny and the boys.  but nothing beats 1-3, season 4 Amy is fantastic...but it goes downhill after that. I have my hopes for season 7, I want them to bring back Beverly, Mrs Cooper, Mrs. Wolowitz and the Koothrapallis, I loved them.

• Like 3

I didn't care very much for season 5 compared to the previous seasons, and IMO 6 was better then 5, but at it's worst I think it is still the best comedy show on T.V.. 

• Like 2

I didn't care very much for season 5 compared to the previous seasons, and IMO 6 was better then 5, but at it's worst I think it is still the best comedy show on T.V.. 

Without a doubt; I'll never not watch any of the episodes of The Big Bang Theory, and I'll watch it until the end. It may be very dogmatic of me, but still.

They need to get into issues that scientists face with SBA's.

Like have the Big Bang Theory guys have a character invent a widget of some sort and see the hell they go through trying to get it patented and marketed and all the crap an inventor has to go through before bringing a product ro market.  Hell that could be a whole drawn out season.

If someone goes to a bank with an idea for a janitor company they will get the loan fo rthe business.  An inventor has an idea for a widget and goes to an SBA they face more discrimination than a minority in the South.  Now that would be cutting edge television.

I like the direction of the show is going its as good now as it was when it started and I love it and cant wait to watch the next season and hope they keep making more and more.