The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

Is The Big Bang Theory getting worse?

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

Any way to get to any of the writers with such an idea ?

Some of the writers follow me on Twitter (I have no idea why) but it would be useless. For legal reasons they don't accept anything regarding plots/stories/scripts suggestions at all.

Besides, apart from Howard who could hypothetically "invent" something, their fields of work do not involve inventing/patenting, etc at all, and working for a University, even in the case of Howard anything he "invents" would be intellectual property of CalTech

Edited by Sursonica

I agree with some people here that I did not like the final episode of season 4 and Penny ending up in bed with Raj. Proof that there is nothing special at all with regard to the relationship between Lenard and Penny. Apart from that I'm mostly happy to see the characters grow and develop some and I am glad the "girls" have come into the series because the same old jokes would become tiresome (as they do when I watch reruns). I have seen and liked most of session 6. I'm looking forward to session 7.

I don't see Penny and Lenard having much in common. I don't think there is anything to keep them together. I think Penny has serious relationship commitment issues. Perhaps a little success in her acting would help her get her head on straight but it is hard to imagine anything bringing her closer to Lenard in the long hall. Unless of course she gets a role in some si-fi show and ends up at comic cons and things she would shun now.

I agree with some people here that I did not like the final episode of season 4 and Penny ending up in bed with Raj. Proof that there is nothing special at all with regard to the relationship between Lenard and Penny. Apart from that I'm mostly happy to see the characters grow and develop some and I am glad the "girls" have come into the series because the same old jokes would become tiresome (as they do when I watch reruns). I have seen and liked most of session 6. I'm looking forward to session 7.

I don't see Penny and Lenard having much in common. I don't think there is anything to keep them together. I think Penny has serious relationship commitment issues. Perhaps a little success in her acting would help her get her head on straight but it is hard to imagine anything bringing her closer to Lenard in the long hall. Unless of course she gets a role in some si-fi show and ends up at comic cons and things she would shun now.

They broke up in series 3, they got back together in series 5, they are virtually promised to each other as of series 6. Something must be working for them. It's a mystery. But generally two individuals have relationships, not two clones. This is sort of represented at another extreme by Sheldon and Amy who were once depicted as highly congruent but who have diverged. The show is playing with fictional coupledom from three different angles, at least. Howard and Bernadette are in the middle of the range. I hope you enjoy the rest of the season you have not seen yet.

Leonard and Penny weren't dating in S4, so I don't see how Penny waking up in the same bed with Raj (it was established thats all they did), has anything to do with your argument that Leonard and Penny are nothing special, what Sheldon and Amy are? Lol give me a break (refering to the comment above). Penny has commitment issues? Yeah maybe in S3, but she has been dating Leonard for 2 seasons now, and you must of missed alot of S6, because if you did see it you would see Penny has progressed and matured alot. And I am sorry but if alot of people are not enjoying S4 onwards easy change the chanel lol, it's not that complicated. Creating a thread to undermine the show seems pointless to me, a so called fan woulden't be calling the show terrible, personally I love all seasons equally but thats just me, I think 4.5. and 6 are just as good the ratings obviousley agree with me ;).

Edited by 3ku11

They broke up in series 3, they got back together in series 5, they are virtually promised to each other as of series 6. Something must be working for them. It's a mystery. But generally two individuals have relationships, not two clones. This is sort of represented at another extreme by Sheldon and Amy who were once depicted as highly congruent but who have diverged. The show is playing with fictional coupledom from three different angles, at least. Howard and Bernadette are in the middle of the range. I hope you enjoy the rest of the season you have not seen yet.

Actually I like the series overall very much. If anything I have enjoyed s6 even more than the previous sesions. Just got to see that last episode.

Best not to take it too seriouly. It is comedy. Just because I think Leonard and Penny make OK friends but are doomed as a couple is not going to wreck the show for me. In my experience it OK to be very different than ones spouse. It can evenn be enriching. It is important to have some thing in common (something lasting --- not just being human and living on the same floor).

Edited by djsurrey

Actually I like the series overall very much. If anything I have enjoyed s6 even more than the previous sesions. Just got to see that last episode.

Best not to take it too seriouly. It is comedy. Just because I think Leonard and Penny make OK friends but are doomed as a couple is not going to wreck the show for me. In my experience it OK to be very different than ones spouse. It can evenn be enriching. It is important to have some thing in common (something lasting --- not just being human and living on the same floor).

Well based on your logic then shouldent have Leonard and Pria lasted? They have alot more in common, sometimes it's not always about commonlarities when it comes to compatibility, sometimes it's the simple things which make the show and Lenny universal. For two people are so different, they found common ground in just being them selfs human if that makes sense, Penny is insecure on the inside although she seems so confident on the outside, Leonard is confident on the outside in some facets like his Education, Intelligence but on the inside he has deep internal insecurities that anyone who has felt inadequate can relate too. Thats the charm of Lenny and the show it dosen't matter who you are in the end everyone goes through the same thing, so personally I think Leonard and Penny make a great couple always have.

Well based on your logic then shouldent have Leonard and Pria lasted? They have alot more in common, sometimes it's not always about commonlarities when it comes to compatibility, sometimes it's the simple things which make the show and Lenny universal. For two people are so different, they found common ground in just being them selfs human if that makes sense, Penny is insecure on the inside although she seems so confident on the outside, Leonard is confident on the outside in some facets like his Education, Intelligence but on the inside he has deep internal insecurities that anyone who has felt inadequate can relate too. Thats the charm of Lenny and the show it dosen't matter who you are in the end everyone goes through the same thing, so personally I think Leonard and Penny make a great couple always have.

Well not at all. Leonard and Pria had less in common than Leonard and and Penny. Poor Leonard goes to bed with any girl that will have him.

Pria seems to have been exersizing her independance more than getting into a long term relationship. Leonard and Penny are both lonely. Penny because she has a history of dating self centered "jerks" and Leonard because historically women were not interested.

"Leonard tries real hard." How long can he keep that up? By the way things are easier when you are single and have no kids. Life gets more challenging when there is pregnancy, babies, disrupted sleep and bills. Teenagers make one reminice about simpler times when they were babies.

Edited by djsurrey

Well not at all. Leonard and Pria had less in common than Leonard and and Penny. Poor Leonard goes to bed with any girl that will have him.

Pria seems to have been exersizing her independance more than getting into a long term relationship. Leonard and Penny are both lonely. Penny because she has a history of dateding self centered "jerks" and Leonard because historically women were not interested.

"Leonard tries real hard." How long can he keep that up? By the way things are easier when you are single and have no kids. Life gets more challenging when there is pregnancy, babies, disrupted sleep and bills.

Actually Leonard and Pria had a bit of history, Leonard knew Pria before Penny, she tends to come back every few years and have a thing with Leonard. And besides Leonards not so short of exp with women, to say he went with Pria because he was lonely. And Leonard and Penny are not together because their options are limited lol, look at how many dumb guys Penny dated did that work out? When she broke up with Leonard the reason she couldent date normally again, because thanks to Leonard she couldent overlook the dumbness in guys again, and she compared other guys to Leonard. And besides I dont see this "try real hard", in S6 Leonard and Penny have clearly matured, and are now both equals and have a great dynamic, but hey you have your opinion I have mine.

Actually Leonard and Pria had a bit of history, Leonard knew Pria before Penny, she tends to come back every few years and have a thing with Leonard. And besides Leonards not so short of exp with women, to say he went with Pria because he was lonely. And Leonard and Penny are not together because their options are limited lol, look at how many dumb guys Penny dated did that work out? When she broke up with Leonard the reason she couldent date normally again, because thanks to Leonard she couldent overlook the dumbness in guys again, and she compared other guys to Leonard. And besides I dont see this "try real hard", in S6 Leonard and Penny have clearly matured, and are now both equals and have a great dynamic, but hey you have your opinion I have mine.

There is a very wide range of opinions on many things it seems.

The basis for what I said:

Early in the series it was made clear that Penny is Leonard's first girlfriend appart from the Korean Kim.

Penny has dated a lot but at the beginning of the series she expresses how empty these relationships have left her. It is her opening up about a broken relationship that gives Leonard an opportunity to befriend her.

The "Leonard tries real hard" was meantioned by both Pria and Penny when Mrs. Wolowitz was in the hospital. At the bowling alley Leonard essentially says he "...will shut up. He will do what ever she wants him to do." I believe that sort of line came up before also.

I have not seen the final episode of s6 appart from a few clips. I have seen most of s6 but not all. Can't say I have seen anything that would make me think they are likely to stay together long term. If anything I thought the focus of the series had shifted away from Leonard/Penny and that this was much needed to keep it fresh. Frankly I was more interested Lucy/Raj and Sheldon/Amy. Not that I think any of them will necessarily be together forever. Romance is not why I watch the show.

Actually I like the physics and technology references. I also enjoy the quirky personalities (including Lucy) and they way any/all of them play off the less quirky Penny as well as the ways they play off each other. I could have been quite happy if Penny had not been in bed with any of them and the show was a littly more family friendly.

Edited by djsurrey

DJ, I think L/P will be around as long as the show is. The emphasis and intensity may fluctuate.

And it's pretty family friendly, to my mind. It runs at 7:30 here (Oz) with few expurgations. If the kids ask, tell them, I guess. It would be less engaging for me if the themes were less grown up, but its way less confronting than HIMYM or TAAHM.

DJ, I think L/P will be around as long as the show is. The emphasis and intensity may fluctuate.

And it's pretty family friendly, to my mind. It runs at 7:30 here (Oz) with few expurgations. If the kids ask, tell them, I guess. It would be less engaging for me if the themes were less grown up, but its way less confronting than HIMYM or TAAHM.

We tolerate the parts we don't like for the sake of the parts we find funny and for me an engineer hanging out with physicists is gold (in part because I do have a degree in engineering and I do work with Physicists -- Howard does not remind me of myself but he certainly does remind me of some of the engineers I worked with a long time ago). Often the commercials are far more offensive than any of the content of the show.

As for TAAHM I can't stand it and I have no interest in HIMYM (I had to look up the reference in both cases).

We tolerate the parts we don't like for the sake of the parts we find funny and for me an engineer hanging out with physicists is gold (in part because I do have a degree in engineering and I do work with Physicists -- Howard does not remind me of myself but he certainly does remind me of some of the engineers I worked with a long time ago). Often the commercials are far more offensive than any of the content of the show.

As for TAAHM I can't stand it and I have no interest in HIMYM (I had to look up the reference in both cases).

I loved Taahm with Charlie up to about Season 4 it started to go downhill, I also love HIMYM not as much as BBT though. 

I discovered TBBT only a few months ago, and, in my typical way, binged excitedly on this very satisfying new discovery. I devoured whole seasons, watched one episode after the other, even if it continued late into the night (I couldn't stop, oh weak me, can't defer gratification, note to self - strengthen thy character! very helpful in life), which resulted in fuzzy days at work of a very tired me.

Recently I have just finished watching the whole 6 seasons for the second time (this time more calmly  :icon_redface: ).

So, regarding the question in this thread - is the show getting worse? - I must say, in my opinion - a definite NO! I have been simply enjoying the whole series so far. It is funny, witty, intelligent, inventive and creative; and I am quite content with the addition of the emotional touch of the romantic relationships (the Shamy relationship intrigues me  :icon_rolleyes: ).

• Like 2

Actually I'll say TBBT is better now then it was in the first three seasons if were going to look at the numbers. Sure everyone has different views when it comes to quality, but that subjective. The same way a show bringing in 15-20 mill an ep does not neccessarily guarentee quality, as I write this I relaize I am contradicting myself haha but hold on. Point is it works both ways, people argue Taahm shouldent be cancelled because it still pulls solid enough ratings, yet as dipped 2 mill from S9, and S7 was watched more. Alot of factors come into play when it comes to ratings, consistency is the key and over time BBT has gained 10 mill from Season 1 to Season 6 thats unprecdented. Yes the show was more science in terms of the dialogue, but that does not mean it has diminsihed completly, just that relationships were more a focus in S6 as they should of been. It's almost like because Sheldon diddn't deliever a 5 page long rant about science, suddenly jump to conclusion theirs no science left, it's still their its just less subtle now then it was, these are all characters in their mid 20's with careers and relationships, they are not nerds they are people. Their was tons of science in S6 in terms of the plot in the eps just maybe not so much in the dialogue. Anyway still enjoying the show and I think since Season 4 its been at its best but thats JMO.

• Like 1

^S4 comes close to S3 as my fav season, apart from no Lenny and the finalie,it was overall really bold.