The Elder Scrolls: SKYRIM

Well, Australia was certainly the lucky country this afternoon.

At 3pm November 10, 2011 (9 hours prior to the official launch time specified by Bethesda) we were able to purchase our legit, retail copies of the game.

For a game that has been pumped so hard over the past 12 months, I think the developers have produced a pretty sweet looking game.

It isn't the groundbreaking game that Oblivion was. The graphics are similar, but a little more realistic.

Combat is great. Easy to use interface. Environments are beautiful.

And most importantly, levelling up is so much easier and more straight forward than the abommonation that was Oblivion.

If you're an Elder Scrolls fan and love dragons... this may become your new drug of choice.

Enjoy.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grabbed it this morning. No I had they day off for other things not just the game lol I'm not that bad. Very surprised my PC can play this on high settings, though not ancient it's not top of the range these days. So I'm very happy, plays great and looks stunning.

@three: Bethesda designed the game to run adequately on older PCs, regardless of the minimum spec requirements they listed.

How awesome is that dragon at the start?? Shame we have to kill it. mwahahahaha !!

I'm running an Imperial male dual dagger true thief as my first toon. No magic/ with bow support

The game is scoring 9s and 10s across the board from the reviewers.

Bethesda have just announced that the game runs choppy on 360 if you instal it to the HDD. They are recommending playing it off the disc til they patch it due to the cache being unable to keep up with the texture loading.

Ahhhh, yet another broken game from this studio.

@Alien: it has a new engine upgrade. It is still essentially Oblivion, just they've got the levelling fixed and the graphics have been tweaked.

A lot of people are comparing it to FO3 and FO New Vegas.

And yes... buy it. You won't be disappointed.

I hope the lighting is done better here than in oblivion...

I mean I tried oblivion this weekend, and could not replay it cause the graphichs looked just so dated compared to newer games. Especially the radiant light system annoyed me to no end, because it makes the characters skin all yellow when they are in direct light. urgh.

So, netmouse, does the game handle light better?

@Alien: yeah, the LH/RH is a little glitchy.. mostly when using the quick change option. I find that sometimes my weapons don't switch smoothly, or not at all.

It is a known glitch, however.

Put the weapons/items/magic that you like using regularly onto the favourite setting then you can choose LH or RH when you bring up the faves list. I think you need a certain skill to dual wield magic. Weapons can be dualed anytime.

For anyone wanting to know some skill exploits before Bethesda patches them...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/cheats

Patch 2.0 is due for release at the end of November.

No details yet, but allegedly some of the above exploits will be fixed as well as some texture issues and a rather annoying PS3 bug that causes game slowdown if your save file gets too big.

I got this sword now! It makes epic sound when i pull it out!

For a split second, I thought I was on the "In My Pants" thread lolz :D

LOL ''epic sound when i pull it our :D''

It's a great game though.

I dropped my dual wield thief and am now running with a stealth ranger elf. Not a role I usually play, but I'm loving it.

Someone on gamefaqs suggested a pure non-combat thief. You essentially level up by staying in the cities robbing people's houses. Great roleplay character idea.

I also liked the bare-handed fighter character build.

I can't wait until I get this game. I can't get it just yet because I'm out of money from buying Saints Row the Third (REALLY AWESOME GAME BTW). I've heard that the PS3 version is having some issues with the size of the save file causing some serious lag once you get deep into gameplay, and that is the version I would be getting. Hopefully a patch is released to cause whatever issues they are perceiving by the time I get it.

@Sterc: yeah, the next patch (after thanksgiving) will apparently address the PS3 save file issue amongst other things.

If you head to the Skyrim message board on gamefaqs.com they will keep you updated as to when the patch is out.

Lost a lot of hours to this game recently but it's well worth it. I'm a big Nord with a big two handed battle axe smashing them thar dragons! Some really good quests that you can just stumble onto. Saw a headless horseman ghost the other day and met a talking dog!

Forget the thief/warrior and mage stones... make the trek northeast of Markarth and activate the "Lover's stone" 15% boost to ALL skills

I love how the bears dig around in the ground before lying down to go to sleep :)

I got mugged by a thief yesterday. A mountain troll came to my rescue and took care of him for me whilst I kited and killed the troll.