The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nicole

Gone All-Sheldon

My husband is always telling me I'm so much like Sheldon so today, for the first time, I decided to wear a raglan long-sleeved t-shirt (red sleeves) and a regular t-shirt over it.

I have wanted to try it since I first tried it. Anyone else gone "all Sheldon"?

Ummmm.... in terms of style, I hope? Better not be personality... because someone like that would drive any sane person nuts! Sheldon is a social misfit of the higher order. He has been getting better, but still has a very long............. long, long way to go.

In winter, I always wear a black long sleeved raglan top underneath my short sleeved work shirt.

It's more a style that Heavy Metal fans wear... and I must admit, generally wear it well.

All our metal/thrash heads in Oz like their "undersleeves" lolz.. which baffles me given they also wear them during summer when it's so freaking hot.

I have been extremely close to "all Sheldon" in personality for a long time. My wife and family were delighted when TBBT came along because they now had an actual analogous visual to present me with and say "SEE! THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE LIKE!". From the way he likes to go on his long-winded "Did you know..." trivia laden speeches, to his constantly correcting those arround him. It's so hard to say this in such a way that doesn't make me sound just hopelessly conceited, lol, but I'm also much smarter than those around me and am told I make that point all too clear, all too often. lol I do try to be more conscious of that kind of behavior than Sheldon seems to be however, rather than taking any chance I can to relish in it or rub their faces in their failure to succeed or understand something.

Other similarities would include the standard nerd culture represented on the show, from the TV/Movies they like to the games they play and other various things of that nature.

Gone all Sheldon. All the way.

The way I "talk and think and annoy" my dh is how I am like Sheldon. Also I don't get sarcasm usually. But, I do have a sense of humour, unlike Sheldon, and plus, I'm not a genius. And lots of the time, I +am+ silly (remember the episode when Sheldon lent money to Penny? "I'm never silly.")

I have been extremely close to "all Sheldon" in personality for a long time. My wife and family were delighted when TBBT came along because they now had an actual analogous visual to present me with and say "SEE! THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE LIKE!". From the way he likes to go on his long-winded "Did you know..." trivia laden speeches, to his constantly correcting those arround him. It's so hard to say this in such a way that doesn't make me sound just hopelessly conceited, lol, but I'm also much smarter than those around me and am told I make that point all too clear, all too often. lol I do try to be more conscious of that kind of behavior than Sheldon seems to be however, rather than taking any chance I can to relish in it or rub their faces in their failure to succeed or understand something.

Other similarities would include the standard nerd culture represented on the show, from the TV/Movies they like to the games they play and other various things of that nature.

Yes, you do sound a lot like Sheldon too! Are you into Magic: the Gathering (the show pokes fun of Magic)? Sheldon is very selfish "...and I reject them all...", what are you like? I'm not selfish like Sheldon. And do you ever give a crap what other people think of you?

The way I "talk and think and annoy" my dh is how I am like Sheldon. Also I don't get sarcasm usually. But, I do have a sense of humour, unlike Sheldon, and plus, I'm not a genius. And lots of the time, I +am+ silly (remember the episode when Sheldon lent money to Penny? "I'm never silly.")

I have been extremely close to "all Sheldon" in personality for a long time. My wife and family were delighted when TBBT came along because they now had an actual analogous visual to present me with and say "SEE! THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE LIKE!". From the way he likes to go on his long-winded "Did you know..." trivia laden speeches, to his constantly correcting those around him. It's so hard to say this in such a way that doesn't make me sound just hopelessly conceited, lol, but I'm also much smarter than those around me and am told I make that point all too clear, all too often. lol I do try to be more conscious of that kind of behavior than Sheldon seems to be however, rather than taking any chance I can to relish in it or rub their faces in their failure to succeed or understand something.

Yes, you do sound a lot like Sheldon too! Are you into Magic: the Gathering (the show pokes fun of Magic)? Sheldon is very selfish "...and I reject them all...", what are you like? I'm not selfish like Sheldon. And do you ever give a crap what other people think of you?

Yes, I like to play Magic, as well as a few other TCGs. I engage in almost every recreational activity that they're shown doing on the show with possibly the only exception being paintball. I'm not really one to enjoy physical activity. But yeah, all the other stuff that they enjoy I do too.

And yes I'm selfish like that too. I don't care what others think of me, just like he doesn't. But one of the differences I would say we have is I am able to tell what emotions people are feeling or what the current social situation is. But like Sheldon, I rarely care unless it has to do with me.

At least once per episode my wife will give me a look that is taken to mean "see? there you are again."

One instance that springs to mind is when Sheldon told Leonard that he's looking forward to watching Battlestar Galactica on DVD...

Leonard: Should we have invited her for lunch ?

Sheldon: No, we're gonna start season two of Battlestar Galactica.

Leonard: We already watched the season two DVDs.

Sheldon: Not with commentary.

No one in my family/friends circle understands my "need" to view all supplemental material, most importantly the commentary tracks.

That was the pilot, that quote.

As for commentary tracks, would rather not hear them. It's not that important to me. Have you seen Battlestar Galactica with commentary?

I absolutely adore the Big Bang Theory. I can relate to a little something in each of the characters. When I go through rough times and breakup with someone, for some reason the show is the first thing I think of, and the problems they face and how they deal with it. I don't think I could ever go "all out Sheldon", but there are some traits him and I share, as well as the rest of the cast.

In winter, I always wear a black long sleeved raglan top underneath my short sleeved work shirt.

It's more a style that Heavy Metal fans wear... and I must admit, generally wear it well.

I've started doing this more often in the in-between seasons. When it's too cold to wear just a short sleeved tshirt and too warm to wear a sweater. I also have a couple of BBT tshirts and a Green Lantern one for good measure. :D:D:D

my mother says I remind her of Sheldon even though I am a girl

I guess it makes sense because I have Asperger's Syndrome but I am not a genius. I do have a special spot on the couch though and strangely enough it's the left side but not for the same reasons and I established it as my spot waay before I saw the show.

Same here, Sterculius! People and family have been calling me Spock or Robot for as long as I can remember - which is a very long time, as I am blessed/cursed with a very good memory - for things like numbers, patterns, passages in books, academic lectures and such, but I cannot find my keys most mornings. Strange. But many co-workers who have glommed onto the show call me "Sheldon" now. I take it as a compliment.

Fashion wise, yeah, I am pretty much in as well. I have around 60 superhero shirts and multiple long-sleeve shirts which I started wearing under the t-shirts around 1999. Have some plaid pants too. Hmm....the more I list, the more it seems he and I share in common.

Does spending my life as a misfit because of my refusal to conform to norms I think are daft count? I couldn't live with Sheldon though; he'd absolutly consider me to be a hippie!

I've started doing this more often in the in-between seasons. When it's too cold to wear just a short sleeved tshirt and too warm to wear a sweater. I also have a couple of BBT tshirts and a Green Lantern one for good measure. :D:D:D

Yay BBT tops; they're what's on my christmas list :icon_cheesygrin:

My mom was watching the show from the Pilot, but I didn't catch on until season 2. So one day she told me, "Your shirt looks like this shirt on this show..." since she's always looks at actors' wardrobes. At the time I had a Green Lantern shirt, which got me to start watching it one night. My mom being able to laugh at the show has allowed her to be able to laugh at me, rather than think I'm really weird.

People have been calling me Kell-Bot for as long as I remember, and my sister addresses me as "Computer" because I'm always like, "Hey, did you know...?" So it was hilarious when I was watching the episode where Penny calls Sheldon Shel-Bot.

I'm also not condescending and quick to reject or anything, but the biggest way I'm like Sheldon is I have a spot on the couch (I know a lot of people that do) and I have to sit in certain areas at restaurants, as well as the "correct" side of the table. When it comes down to it, sometimes it's embarrassing. It's really hard when I'm with a big group or whatever and none of them know, and I don't want to be like, "Hey, I have to sit there." so I sit somewhere else and am totally uncomfortable for the whole thing. It's not the end of the world, but it's hard, and I actually hate it. I also am not sexual.

Now, my best friend, I love her dearly. She's been my best friend for about 10 years now, and knows me so well that she can judge where I like to sit, AND always knows which side of the table I am going to pick, and it makes things a lot easier on me.