The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Convict13

Sheldon's Childlike Qualities

I understand that Sheldon didn't really have a childhood and that moving to University/College at the age of 11 would mean that he possibly is behind others in emotional development.

What I don't understand is why sometimes the writers make Sheldon so childish at times. This last episode The Ornithophobia Diffusion was, for me at least, Sheldon at times slipping close to being a child again.

I like my Sheldon over confident, I think that is where his true comedy lies. What do others think?

I agree. The Pulled Groin Extrapolation, for me, was the worst. Sheldon's train fetish was over the top. Not that there is anything wrong with model trains, but the point when he put the N gauge engine in his mouth was just beyond explanation.

I found especially in season 1, they exhibited more the side of a somewhat regular and mature Sheldon. I think in later seasons they gave him a sort of 2 different personalities, a childish one and the regular sort of robotic condescending Sheldon. Looking back at just season 1 though, you see a Sheldon somewhere in between regular to what he's become now.

I like the child-like innocence that Sheldon displays from time to time, but don't like it when he slips into childish behaviour, like putting train engines in his mouth.

I like the child-like innocence that Sheldon displays from time to time, but don't like it when he slips into childish behaviour, like putting train engines in his mouth.

Agreed. I can see how he still has childhood interests like video games, comics, etc, but sometimes there are certain things that just seem to be done for a cheap laugh from the audience like putting the train in his mouth.

I know a lot of people at my work who are obsessed with World of Warcraft and a good friend is obsessed with Anime and Comic Con but despite having moments where they're all about their obsessions they never resort to acting like a five year old. I think the writers seem confused as to where to draw this line. OR like I said above, maybe they just want a cheap laugh.

Sheldon's train-in-mouth scene, along with a few bits of the Ornithobia episode, felt forced like they were trying to make him seem so ridiculous that the story fell flat. I just wanted an episode from Season one and there's such a huge difference between S1 Sheldon and S5 Sheldon. Sorry to say it but I liked Sheldon from S1 much better.

Sheldon's train-in-mouth scene, along with a few bits of the Ornithobia episode, felt forced like they were trying to make him seem so ridiculous that the story fell flat. I just wanted an episode from Season one and there's such a huge difference between S1 Sheldon and S5 Sheldon. Sorry to say it but I liked Sheldon from S1 much better.

Don't feel sorry for saying that. There are people here who have expressed much stronger opinions about the differences between the first few seasons and the last few.

I feel that the problem is that they have been moving from a show where they you are meant to laugh WITH the geeks to a show where you laugh AT them.

I don't think Sheldon is any more childish this season than he has been in any other season.

25 cats.

Goofy and Disneyland.

Building a nest at the comic shop.

I dont find such scenes funny either. Never did really. Maybe it's just me being able to accept someone's cockiness if they are highly intelligent looking with scorn at mere mortals, but having no respect for a grown man behaving like a toddler.

His childishness came out in earlier seasons when he was drunk or sick, though. "Mom smokes in the car. Jesus is okay with it but we can't tell dad," for example. I feel like the writers aren't getting lazy necessarily...I was beginning to get annoyed with Sheldon's one-dimensional robotic detachment. I think, like all the characters, the writers have to give and take certain qualities for plot and character development.

Isn't it bizarre to watch the pilot, though, where he and Leonard go to a sperm bank? It always strikes me as something Sheldon would never agree to do. Seeing as he has a wad of cash hidden in Green Lantern, he never has a need to donate sperm for money. I think the writers "forget" certain attributes and plot points pretty easily on this show.

I agree with OP about Sheldon having to grow up too fast, and leaving some childlike behavior peppered in his adulthood, but I think it's always been there. The earliest example I can think of this happening is back in season 1, when Sheldon's mom comes to visit.

Sheldon: "I am not a child and I can live my life the way I see fit!"

Leonard: "Where are you going?"

Sheldon: "To my room and NOBODY'S ALLOWED IN!" (while wearing a woven poncho)

Sheldon: "Mom? Is Dr.Gablehowser going to be my new daddy?"

Have the writers been resorting to this behavior more often in recent seasons? Yes, I think so, and sometimes they do it too much in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with using this mechanic sparingly, but I, like most other people, like my Sheldon aloof and articulated. The childishness cropping up from time to time however, does add dimension to Sheldon's character and it makes sense, so I wouldn't want to see it go away completely.

well let me explain sheldon...

sheldon had Asperger syndrome and/or obsessive–compulsive personality disorder and asexuality.

People with Asperger syndrome some times have Eidetic memory, and can be really good in math, even win a nobel prize.

But from episonde 5 in season 1 he developed more obsessive–compulsive behavor when he started to nock on the door 3 times, people with obsessive–compulsive disorder can develop that....

Anyway this explains sheldon behavior...

well let me explain sheldon...

sheldon had Asperger syndrome and/or obsessive–compulsive personality disorder and asexuality.

People with Asperger syndrome some times have Eidetic memory, and can be really good in math, even win a nobel prize.

But from episonde 5 in season 1 he developed more obsessive–compulsive behavor when he started to nock on the door 3 times, people with obsessive–compulsive disorder can develop that....

Anyway this explains sheldon behavior...

The writers have not and most likely will not confirm or say that Sheldon as Asperger syndrome. The writers explain this as Sheldon is Sheldon.

And also my theory on it is, if his mother had really had him tested for being crazy the doctors would have tested for everything and the test all came back as negative. So in conclusion....

Sheldon is Sheldon.

Sheldon is no more childish in season 5 than he was back in season one.

I think that because we've had several episodes in a row during season 5 where Sheldon was displaying this type of behaviour, it drew people's focus a lot more than it had in the past.

Just sayin'.

if the writers came out with it and said straight up that Sheldon had aspergers syndrome that would just ruin the awesome randomness that comes with his personality. but for those of us who know a lot about autism, it's quite clear that he is absolutely on the autism spectrum which indeed explains his childish tendencies mixed with his amazing smarts and rather antisocial ways.

As a see the Sheldon character is developing as it should. The first season showed a more mature confident Sheldon as he was in his comfort zone. Season 1 Sheldon was very much an introvert, a loner and a total control freak with very few ties to "normal life", given that he now has a close circle of friends and even "normal" friends aka Penny his personality is undoubtedly going to change as a result. These changes are going to manifest in a variety of different ways.

Wanted the character to remain the same when his life is now completely different is ludacris.

Watching the evolution of Sheldon is the best part. Come on guys we're scientists!

As a see the Sheldon character is developing as it should. The first season showed a more mature confident Sheldon as he was in his comfort zone. Season 1 Sheldon was very much an introvert, a loner and a total control freak with very few ties to "normal life", given that he now has a close circle of friends and even "normal" friends aka Penny his personality is undoubtedly going to change as a result. These changes are going to manifest in a variety of different ways.

Wanted the character to remain the same when his life is now completely different is ludacris.

Watching the evolution of Sheldon is the best part. Come on guys we're scientists!

Agreed! We are all the products of our enviroment, our surroundings change and we addapt to them. Thats life.

Agreed! We are all the products of our enviroment, our surroundings change and we addapt to them. Thats life.

I do not agree. The entire history of mankind is the struggle to manipulate the environment to our needs, otherwise we would still be living in caves.

If Sheldon is adapting to a new environment, it is only a survival tool. Once he learns to survive in the new environment, he can begin to manipulate it to be more suitable to his needs. That's what separates him from the cockroach.

It's one thing to adapt. It's another thing to have a radical change to one's personality and characteristics.

I do not agree. The entire history of mankind is the struggle to manipulate the environment to our needs, otherwise we would still be living in caves.

If Sheldon is adapting to a new environment, it is only a survival tool. Once he learns to survive in the new environment, he can begin to manipulate it to be more suitable to his needs. That's what separates him from the cockroach.

yes its a struggle but not one we always win. Sometimes circumstances causes the individual to behave differently or expose parts of themselves they thought they had control over. Anyone who has been to junior high, high school, college or lives in society knows this. Oh and we are not talking about the collective mankind we are talking about an individual and individuals tend to bend to suit the situation.

I don't think it's radical. I think they do over do his change some episodes but its not radical.

What change? The human personality is extremely complex. Why do you all want to see a one dimensional Sheldon? The fact that you learning more about his personality doesn't mean he has changed it means he is more exposed and you are a bit narrow minded.

Sheldon is no more childish in season 5 than he was back in season one.

I think that because we've had several episodes in a row during season 5 where Sheldon was displaying this type of behaviour, it drew people's focus a lot more than it had in the past.

Just sayin'.

Perhaps it is just the several episodes in a row that has brought it to my attention.

The human personality is extremely complex. Why do you all want to see a one dimensional Sheldon? The fact that you learning more about his personality doesn't mean he has changed it means he is more exposed the hidden and well controlled parts of his personality and showing through. It may also mean you are a bit narrow minded.

I don't know, I tend to be sympathetic towards Sheldon's childish behaviour. That's also the Sheldon that Leonard is used to dealing with. (cue: Leonard's exasperated expression). Also, his mother brings out the most childish side of his personality as she's the only one who won't be cowed down by his intellectual snobbery. I love the scenes with his mother - they show that, at the end of the day, he's just a little boy to her all over again. His childishness gives a more warm and relatable side to his otherwise rational, cold and 'robotic' mannerisms.