Sheldon's Childlike Qualities

Convict13

I agree that Sheldon has always been childish. The difference is that in previous seasons, the childishness was juxtaposed with genius. So he was portrayed as a brilliant scientist who didn't happen to be very mature, emotionally.

In recent episodes, however, the science has been eliminated, so all you see is Sheldon behaving like a little boy. The immaturity changes from being an aspect of his personality to being his entire personality.

One of the things I see that makes Sheldon seem more childish is when he has to confront his feelings, since he can't really explain them scientifically or even logically at times.

Him making the "nest" in the comic store is more of some repressed childhood issues from his parents fighting (obvious, I know) and the comic store was the only place where none of his close friends were fighting. The writers seem to be consistent with his aversion to people he cares about arguing in front of him. (he grew up with it, he doesn't want to deal with it anymore) It may also stem from him being the "special" one in his family and getting what he wanted and doesn't quite know how to deal with someone saying "No" to him.

I would agree that he's shown the least amount of personal growth of all the mains though.

well let me explain sheldon...

sheldon had Asperger syndrome and/or obsessive–compulsive personality disorder and asexuality.

People with Asperger syndrome some times have Eidetic memory, and can be really good in math, even win a nobel prize.

But from episonde 5 in season 1 he developed more obsessive–compulsive behavor when he started to nock on the door 3 times, people with obsessive–compulsive disorder can develop that....

Anyway this explains sheldon behavior...

Although the writers have stated Sheldon is not written as a person with Aspergers Syndrome he certainly does manifest many of its traits.

I studied Asperger's Syndrome for my Master's degree and I am also happily married to a woman with Asperger's Syndrome.

She is very childlike in many ways but not annoying like Sheldon is.

But yes many of Sheldon's idiosyncratic tendencies and personality quirks do resemble Asperger's Syndrome a disorder that displays a lack of adult development.

I think the show has reached the point where Sheldon's character is totally dominated by his childlike qualities.

(Keep in mind that I have not been able to watch any episodes past the Speckerman one, so this might have changed and I could be wrong.)

Speaking of bullying, the way the writers are portraying Sheldon reminds me of the way bullies operate - focusing on one negative quality of the victim - because that makes the bully feel superior - and ignoring the victim's positive qualities - because that would make the bully feel inferor.

I agree that Sheldon has always been childish. The difference is that in previous seasons, the childishness was juxtaposed with genius. So he was portrayed as a brilliant scientist who didn't happen to be very mature, emotionally.

In recent episodes, however, the science has been eliminated, so all you see is Sheldon behaving like a little boy. The immaturity changes from being an aspect of his personality to being his entire personality.

I think that is my biggest problem with the show. The science is really down played to the point where it is virtually gone.

Sheldon is now a giant man-child instead of a genius. I would like to see more of that genius returned.

My bigger complaint is with Leonard. In the first two seasons Leonard often made references to science in his conversations and the fact that Leonard is a physicist has pretty much gone the wayside too.

Maybe the "science" is going to turn into the sitcom job that nobody sees. Where the character goes off to work every day in a bank/law firm/architecture firm/hospital/etc., but the program almost never mentions banking, law, architecture or medicine; it's all about the character's social and family life.

• 1 month later...

There have been a few things I wonder about concerning Sheldon, and feel free to drop me an opinion. If he freaks out over drinking someone else's water, why would he go out to eat? Strange people would be preparing his food and he wouldn't even know if they had washed their hands. Putting a train engine in his mouth...again the thing with germs.

As for the sperm bank, Sheldon feels sex is messy. So if he doesn't need the money I can't see him going to a sperm bank.

A person can have child-like qualities without acting childish to the point where they are putting things in their mouth.

There have been a few things I wonder about concerning Sheldon, and feel free to drop me an opinion. If he freaks out over drinking someone else's water, why would he go out to eat? Strange people would be preparing his food and he wouldn't even know if they had washed their hands.

I don't know about the rest of your post, but regarding this particular part, in The Love Car Displacement we might have caught a glimpse into some of that:

Penny: "For a smart guy, you seem to have a really hard time grasping the concept of 'Don't piss off the people who handle the things you eat.'"

Amy: "That does seem to be a valid principle."

Sheldon: "I trust Penny will adhere to the Official California Restaurant Worker's Solemn Oath of Ethics and Cleanliness."

Amy: "I don't think there's any such thing."

Sheldon: ....(Turns to Leonard) "You lied to me?"

In other words, it seems that he is told convenient lies to ensure that he doesn't become paranoid about things such as eating in public places. A similar thing happened in The Werewolf Transformation when it's implied that while growing up, Sheldon's mom told him that his barber has his haircut records so he always knows how to cut his hair.

I think he behaves so shildish at times because he relies to much on actual facts which sometimes can be pretty misleading, or just plain dumb - for example the haircut records. He must accept the fact that not everything has a logical explanation.

There have been a few things I wonder about concerning Sheldon, and feel free to drop me an opinion. If he freaks out over drinking someone else's water, why would he go out to eat? Strange people would be preparing his food and he wouldn't even know if they had washed their hands. Putting a train engine in his mouth...again the thing with germs.

As for the sperm bank, Sheldon feels sex is messy. So if he doesn't need the money I can't see him going to a sperm bank.

A person can have child-like qualities without acting childish to the point where they are putting things in their mouth.

As a superior form of human evolution, it's in humanitys interest that he fulfills his duties to man kind by producing offspring. Sperm banks just happen to be the least messy method of ensuring his advanced genes propagate.