The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dmtzcain

Show shift | From a celebration to shame of nerd culture

I have observed a shift in the subject of the jokes from the beginning of the show to current episodes.

At first, geek culture was celebrated, each opening the crew showed cool science projects or an interesting nerd conundrum. Also, Penny’s superficiality was the subject of the jokes.

To the contraire, recent episodes show dumb & weird science projects which mock the silliness of the situation. The characters often seem to be carving for “drinking and partying with the cool kids at the parking lot†instead of criticizing its sense.

Penny is now sought out for advice and Leonard often seems to realize how he has “out grown†his friends.

I feel that instead of a celebration of the interesting and cool stuff from Comics, videogames, science, engineering, etc. the show has become a realization of shame from the nerd characters.

This, this and this again. Where, oh where, is the upvote button.

The show is changing from one that was for and about science nerd culture into a "lets laugh at the nerds" kind of a show. I guess when you move from being kind of cult show into the mainstream you have to pander to all the non-nerds. Its just like high school all over again. The collective mainstream audience watches as the writers shove the show into the toilet for a "swirly".

:icon_arrowu:

I guess this is as close as you can get to an upvote.

When the nerds figure this out, there will be hell to pay at comicon.

:icon_arrowu::icon_arrowu::icon_arrowu: (Thanks disgusted)

I was thinking about comic con. I wonder if they will go next year.

It would be funny if they only got a few disgruntled fans but most of the room was empty.

Sorry, I'll re-phrase that

It would be funny if they only got a few people to attend, all of whom are disgruntled fans, but most of the room was empty.

Sorry, I'll re-phrase that

It would be funny if they only got a few people to attend, all of whom are disgruntled fans, but most of the room was empty.

I still think the room would be filled with disgruntled fans and a few who only began watching at s5.

True, true. There could be a lot of disgruntled fans there.

Your point about people who started watching in s5 is an interesting one. If you first saw s5 and then went back to s1-s4, I suppose that your perception would be different.

This leads to a question about the types of people watching. It might be interesting to have a poll to see the types of people who like or dislike the show now.

For instance nerd vs. non-nerd or original fan vs. newer fan or even people who like or dislike reality shows. It would be a hard poll to put together.

Then we'ed need some sort of verification test to determine geek-cred to weed out the nerd wannabe's. Maybe ask people if they know how to overclock a computer or if they understand why "spherical chickens in a vacuum" is funny to a physicist.

Then we'ed need some sort of verification test to determine geek-cred to weed out the nerd wannabe's. Maybe ask people if they know how to overclock a computer or if they understand why "spherical chickens in a vacuum" is funny to a physicist.

But the problem is there are sooooo many different types of nerds

But the problem is there are sooooo many different types of nerds

Yeah I know. My examples speak to me and my type of nerdiness.

I know that the whole poll idea is a little extreme anyway. It really isn't simple enough to make into a poll on the forum anyway.

I don't know why "spherical chickens in a vacuum" is funny, guess i'm not "that kind of nerd". But i'm intrested in knowing, therefore i'll search it right away.

On the other hand, i don't really find intresting or appealing jokes about drinking or "the pathetic forever alone".

Yeah, sorry. The spherical chicken joke is just such a classic in physics circles and I don't really expect everyone with nerd tendancies to know it. Thats just typical of the things that used to be in the show and aren't any more.

I think this is the "Spherical chicken joke" to which you refer, yes?

A farmer notices his chickens are getting sick, he calls in a physicist to help him. The physicist takes a good look at the chickens and does some calculations, he suddenly stops and says "Ive got it, but it would only work if the chickens were spherical and in a vacuum."

A good demonstration of how theoretical physics tends not to work in the real world.

Chickens at rest tend to stay at rest, chickens in motion tend to cross roads.

I think nerds are great people because when they do not understand a joke they do not say "Thats stupid, I dont get it!" rather they will set out to understand the joke, to learn new things from all situations. Even jokes.

Yeah, sorry. The spherical chicken joke is just such a classic in physics circles and I don't really expect everyone with nerd tendancies to know it. Thats just typical of the things that used to be in the show and aren't any more.

Got it now. I also googled it.

My point is, no matter what "kind of nerd" we are, things like this will allways be intresting and enjoyable.

But then again, i'm not intrested in things that revolve in degrating anyone (in this case nerds).

It's sad to watch the re-runs on TBS and see how funny they were in S1, etc. But now, it's just pathetic with a show dedicated to Sheldon and his bird....

The show needs to go out with a Bang! (as it were).

><((((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><((((º>.·´¯`·...¸>(((º>`·.¸¸´¯`·.¸><((((º>

Have to agree its gone from laughing with the nerds to laughing at them. As said its sadly the price of mainstream success.

As for type of nerds. I'm the type that has nerd interests but not the brains to go with them lol.

Have to agree its gone from laughing with the nerds to laughing at them. As said its sadly the price of mainstream success.

As for type of nerds. I'm the type that has nerd interests but not the brains to go with them lol.

Never underestimate your own intelligence.

In my youth (back in the dark ages, when I was going to school) one of the other kids at my school, came up to me in the library, he took one look at the book on basic electronics I was reading and said:

"How come you are so f***ing clever?"

After a moments thought I looked at him and replied (in what I now see as Sheldon Cooper style)

"Its not that I'm clever, its just that you are not..."

add one more enemy to my list at school.

My point is that your intellect is nothing special to you, because you have lived and grown with it, but it can still be intimidating to others.

Never underestimate your own intelligence.

In my youth (back in the dark ages, when I was going to school) one of the other kids at my school, came up to me in the library, he took one look at the book on basic electronics I was reading and said:

"How come you are so f***ing clever?"

After a moments thought I looked at him and replied (in what I now see as Sheldon Cooper style)

"Its not that I'm clever, its just that you are not..."

add one more enemy to my list at school.

My point is that your intellect is nothing special to you, because you have lived and grown with it, but it can still be intimidating to others.

Oh school enemies, fond memories

But your point at the end is a very good one

I agree that the shiow has gone so far from its roots, its barely recognisable except for the actors and sets. I dont enjoy the show as much as id did say, 3 years ago.

With that in mind, has there been any changes over the years to the writing team. I mean ahs someone left, or maybe more people brought in? I know Mark Cendrowski still directs, but it could be that there has been a change in writers thats caused the show to go on such a downward spiral?

@Peter: Ima has often posted about the writers on the show. iirc he mentioned that a new team of ex-Nickelodeon writers had joined the team.

Hopefully Ima can shed some more light on this for you.

Yeah, I think it is a shame how the show has lost its focus on science and nerd/geek goodness. I have been re-watching the past seasons on TBS and am startled by how non-sciencey the show is now compared to the first three seasons. maybe that focus will return. I would like to see Howard get his PhD, that would be good fodder for lots of engineering & science topics as he struggled through his dissertation.

I started @ S5...I Laughed so hard I immediately went online and spent the next 36 hours watching S1-S5 one after the other non-stop. Not having to wait for the next episode was great I also realized that the show has been consistently good over the 5 seasons S1-S3 were the funniest but still I found the show to be great all the way through any negatives were minor and easily explained in the "big bang" universe.

Although i did find less of a celebration of nerd culture but they got girls now..All the nerds complaining will soon realize.. when you get girls..things change.

Get some girls and the show will be great for you again.