The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dmtzcain

Show shift | From a celebration to shame of nerd culture

I immediately went online and spent the next 36 hours watching S1-S5

I assume you paid for watching all those episodes.

All the nerds complaining will soon realize.. when you get girls..things change. Get some girls and the show will be great for you again.

I think if some of the people that watch the show would get a moral compass they would have an easier time understanding why some of us have a problem with the show's recent direction.

All the nerds complaining will soon realize.. when you get girls..things change.

Get some girls and the show will be great for you again.

Not sure how my wife or 2 daughters would feel about that.

I completely disagree with what you suggest. If things need to change because you "get some girls", I suggest that you change the channel rather than changing the show.

Although i did find less of a celebration of nerd culture but they got girls now..All the nerds complaining will soon realize.. when you get girls..things change.

Get some girls and the show will be great for you again.

You're suggesting I become a lesbian just for the show to be good again?

I think the show should celebrate nerd culture as much as it always did; I totally agree with Dmtzcain's original post, that the show's affection towards all things geeky is part of what makes it so frabjous and it should hang on to that.

I'll admit the new seasons haven't been as good, but I still like the show. If you don't like it, that's fine but I can't stand constant bitching. I get tempted to stab people. *points to Masamune in hand*

I think the show is still very very funny, and the characters are changing, which is normal, people do change. I have just one complaint I want Barry Kripke back.

Helpful information. Nice post started by you. I got very nice information over here and really appreciate to you about this.

Thanks man.

Nothing happened per se, he's just meant to make guest appearances here and there. The actor mentioned he will make an appearance in Season 5 at some point, so just be patient.

I never liked the term nerds. I think that this society celebrates the stupid and that is why we are so backward and in so much trouble. It should be a good thing to be smart, and I think that Sci-Fi and all is a superior genre. Perhaps we should make that feeling known to the producers somehow.

@CCB5: it is a good thing to be smart, it's just unfortunate that there are a dozen stoopid knuckle dragging neaderthals out there who want to smash your face in because of it.

I never liked the term nerds. I think that this society celebrates the stupid and that is why we are so backward and in so much trouble. It should be a good thing to be smart, and I think that Sci-Fi and all is a superior genre. Perhaps we should make that feeling known to the producers somehow.

Oh is that why I enjoy Sci-Fi so much! I might have some smarts after all, yay!

You know weird but sad story. I had to take a children's literature class and the teacher had no clue what the difference between fantasy and sci-fiction was. :( .... I love fantasy stuff but Sci-Fi has so much thought into its explanations because it's using real and theoretical science, but actually science, to explain what is happening in the story

Sorry, nerd selection criteria failed in my case. I get both spherical chickens and overclocking and still love the show.

Re comparison between earlier and later seasons - interestingly, my husband (mathematician and Trek fan) insists that he likes seasons 4 and 5 more than the older stuff. That's a stretch even for me; I would say I enjoy both but in different ways.

Of course, one can make the point that physicists are smarter than mathematicians (hence my husband's strange choice), and I wouldn't argue with that. :)

Yes, Kwipke did say he'll he back soon.

Sorry, nerd selection criteria failed in my case. I get both spherical chickens and overclocking and still love the show.

Re comparison between earlier and later seasons - interestingly, my husband (mathematician and Trek fan) insists that he likes seasons 4 and 5 more than the older stuff. That's a stretch even for me; I would say I enjoy both but in different ways.

Of course, one can make the point that physicists are smarter than mathematicians (hence my husband's strange choice), and I wouldn't argue with that. :)

Yes, Kwipke did say he'll he back soon.

One can say that, but it does not make or prove the point. Without the tools of mathematics, physicists would be unable to do their work, i.e. develop and prove/disprove their theories.

One can say that, but it does not make or prove the point. Without the tools of mathematics, physicists would be unable to do their work, i.e. develop and prove/disprove their theories.

Trust me, I know. But physicist vs mathematician is one of the standard inter-disciplinary power struggles within academia, and it creates a nice ongoing relationship issue for us, gives us something to argue about. :)

I've often wondered how it would be to have a mathematician make an appearance on the show. Specifically what Sheldon's reaction would be - he might be besotted with his intellect, or scornful of him for being 'too' theoretical - it could go both ways.

I've often wondered how it would be to have a mathematician make an appearance on the show. Specifically what Sheldon's reaction would be -

It might go like this:

Mathematician- "Sheldon, Without the tools of mathematics, physicists would be unable to do their work!"

Sheldon- "Yes, tools." (pause) "You know, I like to think of myself as a Da Vinci, painting the masterpiece of the universe and all it contains with the paintbrush of mathematics. FYI, Leonardo's brush was made with hair from the tail of a jackass."

Now isn't that better than a cheap lesbian joke?

I'm coming from a different perspective in that I've just watched S1-S4 on DVD over the space of 3 days. I have to state from the start that I am a proud geek - although probably not that smart (I still don't get the spherical chicken joke for example).

However, I have seen a natural progression for group across the series which stems entirely from Penny's involvement with them. Her influence on Leonard and the others has led them from their previously mostly insular existence and opened them up to the outside world and has even led to the world leaking into their environment (she gave Sheldon coffee and alcohol for instance!). The first seasons were about the 'nerds' laughing at Penny's perceived stupidity as their intellect tended to overshadow hers - partly due to the fact that she was outnumbered! However as the dynamic of the show and the group has changed, so has the focus of the comedy and the viewpoint it is coming from. I'm loving the increase in female factors, but am aware that this does affect the focus and language of the dialogue.

I think the show still celebrates nerd-dom in all it's geeky glory and I am proud to say I am a fan, not only of the show but also of the characters and all of their unique idiosyncracies. I think the only thing which is not as strong in the show as it used to be is the science, but with so many more characters to love something has got to give, right?

As a new member, this was the first thread I opened, and already I like the way this topic is being discussed.

From my experience, being a nerd, being perceived as a nerd, or perceiving others as nerds, is rather subjective. Growing up, I never would have considered myself a nerd. But in watching TBBT, I relate to so much of what we see with these characters, that I have to question my own beliefs. First, I am a huge Star Trek and Star Wars fan from way back. I am fascinated my Math, Chemistry and Physics, even though I sometimes struggle to understand it. I will point out obscure Science Fiction trivia to people who don't really care, I tend to correct others, I sometimes miss sarcasm, and recently I was told by a close friend who I always believed to be one of the most intelligent people I know that he thought I was smarter han just about anyone he knew.

So, are the writers looking to celebrate nerds, prod them to become less nerdy and more well-rounded social beings, or put them outside their comfort zones and see if they grow as people or retreat into their nerd universe where they feel safe? In any of those options, I don't really see where the show has stopped being a show about nerds, for nerds, or for people who love nerds. I don't see where it has stopped giving people nerds as characters we love and care about and kind of wish to protect them.

As the show continues to grow in popularity, I think it will evolve into something that a larger mainstream audience will want to watch, and that may mean cutting back on some of the comedy that only nerds or nerd allies will appreciate. Success often means conforming, selling out, becoming watered down. I just hope the people in charge of the show don't go so far over that they sacrifice its nerd roots completely. Giving the guys some love interests has given the show more mainstream scenarios to explore, but it runs the risk of becoming like Friends, which was funny in its first season, but became a soap-opera masquerading as a sitcom once the characters all started playing "muscial love interests" with each other.

The point of this disjointed rant? I think the show has eased up on the hardcore nerdiness, but I think it still gives us enough of it to make it enjoyable. It's gone mainstream enough to pull in the muggles and expand the characters' horizons outside their labs and away from their computer screens.

So, are the writers looking to celebrate nerds, prod them to become less nerdy and more well- rounded social beings, or put them outside their comfort zones and see if they grow as people or retreat into their nerd universe .....

I believe the term "well rounded social beings" is subjective. It shouldn't be the driving force behind the writing of the show to conform the characters to the mainstream. It is their individual uniqueness that gives them the qualities we are drawn to. There is an old saying.... What's popular isn't always right.... And what's right isn't always popular.

So, are the writers looking to celebrate nerds, prod them to become less nerdy and more well- rounded social beings, or put them outside their comfort zones and see if they grow as people or retreat into their nerd universe .....

I believe the term "well rounded social beings" is subjective. It shouldn't be the driving force behind the writing of the show to conform the characters to the mainstream. It is their individual uniqueness that gives them the qualities we are drawn to. There is an old saying.... What's popular isn't always right.... And what's right isn't always popular.

It's sort of the same as saying something is "normal". What is normal and who's definetion of normal are you using

sorry... I was unable to highlight the entire previous post. ( by Sub-Atomic Punk). I was referring to the statement of "Well Rounded Social Beings" .... That there is not only one way to be "normal". The original premise of the show (s1-s3) revolved around the 4 guys (and Penny) and their geek/science environment. This being their lifestyle, made it "normal" for them. That said. Every individual has their own perception of "normal".

sorry... I was unable to highlight the entire previous post. ( by Sub-Atomic Punk). I was referring to the statement of "Well Rounded Social Beings" .... That there is not only one way to be "normal". The original premise of the show (s1-s3) revolved around the 4 guys (and Penny) and their geek/science environment. This being their lifestyle, made it "normal" for them. That said. Every individual has their own perception of "normal".

I agree with what you're saying, but even within individual situations 'normal' is a constantly shifting condition. What was normal for me 4 years ago is not the same as what is normal for me now and the same applies to the characters on this show - their normality changed when they met and started interacting with each other.

I don't think that their individuality and uniqueness has been undermined in any way, and their nerdiness has not gone away, but their perspectives and outlooks have grown and I think if they hadn't we may have become bored by now. Even nerds need love and love changes everything.

OK enough cliches from me (for now!)