The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dmtzcain

Show shift | From a celebration to shame of nerd culture

OT: if you want to quote someone, go to their post and click the green + sign in the bottom right hand corner (in between "REPLY" and "REPORT") this will let you insert and edit their quote into your post. (you will get an option in your reply box to "Quote now" or "deselect quote" enabling you to put multiple quotes in your post) hope this helps.

otherwise, some great points raised.

OT: if you want to quote someone, go to their post and click the green + sign in the bottom right hand corner (in between "REPLY" and "REPORT") this will let you insert and edit their quote into your post. (you will get an option in your reply box to "Quote now" or "deselect quote" enabling you to put multiple quotes in your post) hope this helps.

Many thanks - useful to know :)

If you remember one of the first laughs that Howard got was when he called Raj "a bit of a nerd". So really I don't see that it has changed at all.

I believe the term "well rounded social beings" is subjective.

Agreed. However, my use of the term "well rounded social beings" was not meant to be synonomous with "normal." There are many very "un-normal" people who could still be considered well rounded as social beings.

From the standpoint of these characters, I think we have to look at their growth over the course of the series. In the beginning, they were more isolative, choosing to spend more time with each other and with their interests than spreading their wings, looking for new friends and putting themselves out there in social situations. But they have definitely evolved. Except for Raj, they are now able to have relationships with women, for example. And Sheldon's friendship with Penny has allowed him to grow a bit when it comes to the give-and-take nature of friendships. Leonard learned to be more of a risk taker, knowing the moment that he saw Penny he desired her, and he followed his heart and took steps to make it happen. Howard has even learned a thing or two about respecting women and not just lusting after them (though he seems to be able to turn that on and off at will).

So while I wouldn't say the guys are normal or what most would consider normal), I do think they've become more well-rounded and are better able to adapt to social situations. And that is a good thing for everybody, because it means they've grown and changed, and that's what part of living is all about. Granted, when it comes to beloved TV characters, we might not always want them to grow and evolve. We might want them to stay the way they were in the first 3 seasons, but that would get old. They'd run out of plots, and the show would fail to keep peoples' attention, and ratings would decline, and then one day the show would be cancelled.

Sub-Atomic Punk......

EXCELLENT POST!

I whole-heartedly agree with you.

And... please forgive me if I offened you with my comment in reply to your original post. That was never my intention.

Live long... And prosper!

otherwise, some great points raised.

Or if you click reply on the bottom of the other person's post it will quote what the person you are repling to said too

I completely agree with @Schroedinger and @Sub-Atomic here, and may I say, I love your screen names. :)

I am in a BBT marathon on DVD. Right now starting season 3. I do think the show has moved away from the science and nerd culture a bit and I hope it returns to the roots that made the show great. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the show.

I would like to see more flashes of genius from all the cast members mostly Sheldon and Leonard. Leonard used to talk science quite a bit in the first 2 seasons and now he doesn't show talk about his work or science at all.

There is another shift that bothers me. They've almost completely segregated the girls and guys. There is, if you notice, very little interaction lately between most of the girls and guys. Occasionally they have a scene or two together with exception of the bird episode but it always seems to be the girls are over at pennys and the guys are at leonard and sheldons. Its like a more awkward version of friends now. Look at the last ep, the girls spent the entire episode together except for the opening. The guys are more dumbed down but so are bernadette and amy. originally amy was detached and analytical and now she practically drools all over penny. bernadette is working for some big company now but you never hear much about her work either. its all about the interpersonal relationships and not so much about the science and geekdom that made it offbeat and new. now it just seems like another girls and guys who loves whom sitcom

There is another shift that bothers me. They've almost completely segregated the girls and guys. There is, if you notice, very little interaction lately between most of the girls and guys.

Yes, that bothers me too. I hope the show finds a way back to its roots somehow, above all to more science and nerd stuff again. And the show should concentrate more on the five original main characters again, and put Amy and Bernadette a little in the rear. If that would happen, the brilliant interactions within the group of the five original main cast members, that you can see in the early seasons would return automatically.

To sum up, in my humble opinion, the writers ought to find a way to bring the show back to the roots on the one hand and advance it on the other hand.

• Like 1

To sum up, in my humble opinion, the writers ought to find a way to bring the show back to the roots on the one hand and advance it on the other hand.

I agree. That is the balance the writers must try and strike. Keeping the show true to its root while advancing the characters.

One of the things I noticed was that the show changed after the start of season 4 with the arrival of Priya.

Prior to that the episodes that have been the best are when the characters face a situation other than relationship issues. When the relationship issues become the focus of the episode something is lost and it becomes more like a soap opera with humor.

I think the show works best when the characters are facing something in their lives (like trying to win the physics bowl in season one for example) and we get to see the characters react to their environment and one another.

When the episode is only about their interactions with one another that is when I think the focus has been lost.

I agree with the title of this thread. I posted more about this on the The Speckerman Recurrence thread.

I'm going to go ahead and say it: they have shifted their target audience to a female audience. I click on BBT's facebook update comments page, and nearly all of the responses praising the show are women. I'm not a sexist, but the fact that they have a new target audience is just fact. You can't deny this fact. The show's focus is no longer on nerd/geek culture, but on sex, dating, and romance. The Big Bang Theory seasons 1-3 are VERY different from seasons 4+. Once in a while there's a geek-centric episode to shut us up, but no one can deny that the vast majority of them are about romance and dating. I really wish they would get the show back on track, but it seems they are finding more success in their new demographic, so it'll never happen.

I found this article very interesting:

http://extra-credits.net/articles/the-midi-chlorian-ruination-scale/

It talks about how sequels (or too many inconsistent episodes, outrageous revelations, etc.) can ruin original concepts for movies/TV series. I measured TBBT to their scale, and I found that personally for me, this show is probably teetering between -4 and -5. (on a scale between 0 and -6). It's very interesting about what the article talks about, and the author articulates it really well.

I'm in the same boat, I would love to see the show go back to something like s1-s3 but I know that isn't going to happen with all the new relationships and how popular the show is and still growing.

But I did hear somewhere the other day that the show is becoming something like Friends. I never watched a lot of friends but i can see where the person was coming from. I guess after 3 seasons, no matter how good the writers are they are going to start repeating other stuff.

"simpsons did it"

Also Howard will never get his PhD, he isn't that vain.

I'm going to go ahead and say it: they have shifted their target audience to a female audience. I click on BBT's facebook update comments page, and nearly all of the responses praising the show are women. I'm not a sexist, but the fact that they have a new target audience is just fact. You can't deny this fact. The show's focus is no longer on nerd/geek culture, but on sex, dating, and romance. The Big Bang Theory seasons 1-3 are VERY different from seasons 4+. Once in a while there's a geek-centric episode to shut us up, but no one can deny that the vast majority of them are about romance and dating. I really wish they would get the show back on track, but it seems they are finding more success in their new demographic, so it'll never happen.

You're right. It's not that they went "right let's make this a show for women!" but it's part of their push to be more mainstream. They will have had focus groups and executives telling them to be more female friendly. That there's too much geek stuff and focus on the guys and that puts women off(which I don't think is true). "We need more drama, romance and gossip cause that's what women are into!" again I don't think that's true but it a typical media view.

You have to remember even Penny wasn't a major character at first, she was just there as a love interest for Leonard. The main focus of the show was the guys and geek/science humour. Now Raj and Howard are basically extras, Amy is the entire focus of the show and the intelligent, geek, science stuff is given maybe the odd crappy reference if they can be bothered.

I'm a female but not crazy about the latest seasons with romances and all that crap. I'd hate to see Bernadette and Amy totally gone, but I'd love a couple eps here and there even with little focus on Penny - would love to see just the 4 guys and some sort of geek-antics.

I do NOT care about gossip and drama either... I hate that sort of thing. Don't we have enough reality crap for that? My sister and I both agree we don't like the love triangles, the on-and-off again romances, etc... the whole stuff with Priya quite annoyed us.... Penny jealous of her and talking bad about her, obviously jealous, yet she doesn't want Leonard (or didn't) was annoying.

I know most people like Penny and I do too but I'd rather have more focus on just the guys. I like Amy but she needs to be limited... I don't even mind if Sheldon finally gives in to being her boyfriend a bit but again, keep it limited. Do 2 or 3 episodes in a row where there is no romance and drama like that. Get back to the science stuff, the guys at work, etc. If I want the drama, gossip, and romance, there are plenty of shows for that (and no I don't even care for that crap anyway....)

I will say I try not to take the show too seriously or pick it apart. I'm enjoying this season alright, not as much as the earlier ones but now that Priya is gone I do think it's an improvement. I didn't necessarily hate her, but how the writers seem to portray her as a "bad guy" by trying to change Leonard and make him into something else; hiding him from her parents, etc. It's like they wanted you to not like her so you'd accept him running back to Penny or something.

I had never considered that the show focus had shifted to a female audience - but that explanation certainly seems to be the most plausible of all I have read. It is unfortunate, though, to see the one program where nerds and geeks were celebrated de-volve into just another rom-com. Drat.

I must admit that I continue find it astonishing that the show's ratings are so high, given the extreme change in the characters and the situations since the first 3 seasons, but the "focus" hypothesis does appear to have dealt with that shift. But then, that probably is due to my nerd/geek tendencies that I did not grasp this shift. Because to my mind, it is most illogical.