Philosophy of the Big Bang Theory

There's an article about the philosophy of the Big Bang Theory on the Financial Times website .... Did the Big Bang Make a Noise?

http://blogs.ft.com/ft-dot-comment/2010/05/05/did-the-big-bang-make-a-noise/#axzz1e9jhr4z5

I like the Schrodinger's Kitty song in one of the comments at the end...

"Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur,

Poorly kitty, ex-kitty, blur, blur, blur"

• Like 1

Very interesting article.

I hope you had a happy “Star Wars Day†yesterday, Mr Bradt. May the 4th be with you!

I lol'd at this ^^

It's kinda like "If a bear farts in the woods, does anyone hear it?" :D

Just read that article... No time (so I'm not late. Good one), no space (Knew that already, one expands to fill available (non-existant) space. QED there is non left) :p

By the end of it I was pushed to remember a quote recently attributed to Bill Hicks, although I suspect it is actually from a French philosopher who's name escapes me at this time.

"Matter is energy condensed to a slow vibration.

We are all one consciousness experiencing it’s self subjectively.

There is no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we are the imagination of our selves"

Des Cartes, perhaps?

Hmmm, might be, although the first thing to come to mind when I think of René Descartes is: "Cogito ergo sum" (English: I think, therefore I am)

Descartes walks into a bar.

The bartender walks up to him and says, “Would you care for a drink?â€

Descartes replied, “I think not.†and disappears.

:icon_cheesygrin:

Ho ho! The only other french philosopher i can think of is Jean Paul Sartre - did Bill Hicks get it off him?

"I doubt therefore I might be...."

VERY well done! Thats the bunny!!!!

I have always been awful with names, end every time I enterd the quote in Google I got swamped with Bill Hicks. You hit the nail (or French philosopher) right on the head. Thanks :D

• 4 weeks later...

This is what Shelly has to say about Nietzsche (and Dr Seuss):

Leonard: I'm having a moral crisis.

Sheldon: Well if it's of any help, I've read all the great moral philosophers - including Dr Seuss.

Leonard: Oh what the hell. I'm supposed to go see that girl from the comic book store - Alice - but I don't know if I should because I'm going out with Priya but she's in India.

S: All right ... so the topic at hand is sexual fidelity ... Probably won't be relying on Seuss here - although One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish might be surprisingly applicable .... Go on.

L: Well they say at the end of your life you regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff that you did - and I'm pretty sure Alice is the stuff I wanna do.

S: You know the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche believed that morality is just a fiction used by the herd of inferior human beings to hold back the few superior men.

L: That actually does help.

S: It's worth noting that he died of syphilis.

(Season 5 - Halloween episode)

Interesting article. It hovers pretty close to quantum brain dynamic theory, in fact, which is famously discussed by Roger Penrose in his books, and was just as famously disproved by Beverly Hoftstadter in her paper with Sheldon Cooper's help. :)

Descartes walks into a bar.

The bartender walks up to him and says, “Would you care for a drink?â€

Descartes replied, “I think not.†and disappears.

Lovely. :icon_cheesygrin:

There's an article about the philosophy of the Big Bang Theory on the Financial Times website .... Did the Big Bang Make a Noise?

http://blogs.ft.com/ft-dot-comment/2010/05/05/did-the-big-bang-make-a-noise/#axzz1e9jhr4z5

I like the Schrodinger's Kitty song in one of the comments at the end...

"Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur,

Poorly kitty, ex-kitty, blur, blur, blur"

NO the big Bang DID NOT MAKE A NOISE!!! there was NO air or gas or atmosphere of any kind for sound to travel through..there weren't even any atoms or mater of any kind at the moment it happened...just pure energy..and no where for sound to travel TO even if there was...there was no space...PREEEETY WILD DEEP SHEIIIITE!!!!!!

NO the big Bang DID NOT MAKE A NOISE!!! there was NO air or gas or atmosphere of any kind for sound to travel through..there weren't even any atoms or mater of any kind at the moment it happened...just pure energy..and no where for sound to travel TO even if there was...there was no space...PREEEETY WILD DEEP SHEIIIITE!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure the big bang is still just a theory, anyway.

If you believe in time, Steven Hawking was 70 last week. He answered a load of questions on the radio about life, the universe and everything. This is what he said when asked "Was there a time when there was nothing?": "Time is defined only with the universe, so it makes no sense to talk about time before the universe began. It would be like asking for a point south of the south pole". Sheldon couldn't have put it better!

• 2 months later...

Well... I can agree that it wouldn't have made any noise going outwards, but what about a trailing wake noise? There's also the issue of a doppler effect... but, because no transmittable medium existed prior to the big bang, you'd only get the after effect... and only where a transimittable medium allowed for it.

Also, would you count light at sound? Really, when you break it down, it's all just a matter of energy being transmitted on a variety of wave lengths and mediums... at its core, it's all the same... yes?

FYI, I'm just blowing smoke here... haven't done physics since my second year of post secondary, but it is a field of interest for me.

Very interesting article.

I hope you had a happy “Star Wars Day†yesterday, Mr Bradt. May the 4th be with you!

I lol'd at this ^^

It's kinda like "If a bear farts in the woods, does anyone hear it?" :D

Heyyyyy........Nice one lol :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

• 6 months later...

Separate from this Financial Times article - on Amazon I saw there's a book out called "The Big Bang Theory and Philosophy" (by William Irwin and Dean Kowalski). Anyone got it? They also have the "Simpsons and Philosophy", "Batman and Philosophy" etc. Mixed reviews on Amazon, but I might buy the Big Bang one anyway just to read about cloning Leonard Nimoy - though I suspect it's probably not as quick-fire as TBBT on tv!

Cogito Ergo Zoom--I think, therefore I speed... (I think that is/was actually the title of a column in some car magazine.)

Nothing else to add here, except that the book Captain Sweatpants mentions sounds like it could be fun. Hmmm...

• 1 year later...

Separate from this Financial Times article - on Amazon I saw there's a book out called "The Big Bang Theory and Philosophy" (by William Irwin and Dean Kowalski). Anyone got it? 

Over a year later (and not finding another thread by a quick search).....yes I have this book. I bought it for holiday reading earlier this year.

It seems to me to be an 'entry level' introduction to philosophy garnered with many, many quotes from the first four series to make various points.

There's some interesting topics eg "Is it wrong to laugh at Sheldon" considering whether he is showing 'pathology' such as Aspergers; the role of the women in the series,the role of the mothers in the series, friendships, the evil'-ness of Will Wheaton etc.

Strangely, there is no critique of the relationship between Howard and Raj.

I'd recommend it for fans of the show, rather than any burning philosophers.